Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If you was kid in the late 70,s or 80,s did you have?

A Grifter or a Chopper?

I know in the early to mid 80's BMX came out as well!

I had in order.......

Budgie
Chopper
Piranna
Diamond Back

Comments

• chopper,
    BMX
  • Halfords own brand of a Grifter, "Bandit". It was the same price as the grifter, but it was silver when Grifters were only available in Blue or Red. I never had another bike until I was in my 30s and that was a mountain bike.
  • tricycle
  • Racer then Grifter
  • Chopper then Racer.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: red_murph[/cite]Chopper then Racer.[/quote]

Blimey mate going from a racer to a grifter must have been some hard work?

Something so light to going to something that weighed a ton...LOL
  • Striker (including the lock pedal/skid facility) followed by Grifter. I was always secretly jealous of my cousin's Chopper, so to speak.
  • GRIFTER then Rally Arena Racer bike
  • Grifter then BMX - Mongoose
  • Commando, then my BMX 'Superstar' (my favourite ever present as a kid)!
  • Sponsored links:

• Still got a 12" chopper!
  • edited July 2010
    BMX - had the velcro sponge on the handle bars for 'safety'
  • Budgie - green
    Chopper - purple
    Striker - green
    10 gear Racing bike - blue

The racing bike got knackered trying to do tricks like all my mates on their BMX's
    Still remember that feeling in my stomach as I launched off of the wooden ramp we had built and the front wheel went flying off mid-air.
    OUCH !!!!!
  • SUBBUTEO - The greatest table top football game the world has ever seen.
  • From the era where you made the bikes up yourself!!
    Bitsa's you would call them now, riding down the hill outside Wilson house to the garages on the Springfield estate.
    And in the holidays over to Winns common and down the "Dip" by the slade, how I'm not dead I'll never know : )
  • Silver Chopper but converted after a while and put cowhorn handle bars and a bigger front wheel on it.
    My mum still insists I sold it but honestly it was stolen!
  • [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Silver Chopper but converted after a while and put cowhorn handle bars and a bigger front wheel on it.

Thats called an "insurance job" where I come from . "Honest officer thats where I left it" I just need a crime number!! ; )
  • Late 80's for me. I had a wild cat!
  • was there a special name for the BMX wheels that had the extra thick spokes - usually yellow.
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: creepyaddick[/cite]Silver Chopper but converted after a while and put cowhorn handle bars and a bigger front wheel on it.

Thats called an "insurance job" where I come from . "Honest officer thats where I left it" I just need a crime number!! ; )

No wonder my mum didn't believe me, when others don't either!
    : (
    I also had the school record of jumping over eight kids lying side by side from our ramp!
  • Sponsored links:

• Raleigh Budgie (1st proper bike, after the trike)
    Raleigh Boxer (Passed down from my brother) - Like a lighter, sleeker Grifter, & better!
    2 x Raleigh Burner BMX bikes - One was a 'Pimped Up' ride, bought for a princely £50, back in 87. The other was an battered 'run-around'. Bought from a mate for a tenner - Bargain!

Loved 'em all! Riding around with my mates, building ramps in car parks(& crashing), racing around pub gardens(& crashing), racing through the streets(& crashing). Great days!

I doubt youngsters with good intentions, would be able ride around like me & my chums, & you youngsters of that era did, without being challenged by some darker force, these days. Innocence was bliss!

I want a BMX, again. I can't believe I was so stupid! I left them at a house I once lived in, when I moved.(Though I was too fat to ride them at the time)

I'd be doing wheelies & bunny hops around the streets, if I had them back now!
  • my first bike was a raleigh Burner (mid 80s) it was not the easilest bike for learning how to ride; but it was a bargain my dad found at a boot fair... so i was going to learn no matter what! had that until the early 90s when racers were all the rage. so i got some sort of raleigh Racer, which i remember had 10 gears. then mid 90s i got a raleigh moutain bike, one of the first models to have front fork suspension.
  • Tomahawk then a chopper.
  • Purple chopper with red (gear) knob...
  • Grifter.

rayleigh Burner Blue Sky way mags

I just bought my little un his first proper bmx

Gyro handle bars, mushroom grips, trick nuts, black Sky way Mags

bike is bright green looks the business
  • Budgie - the ultimate wheelie machine
    Grifter - absolutely hated it
    Raleigh Burner

Then saved every penny I could get my hands on for about a year and a half, eventually got about a 3rd of the cost of a brushed alluminium Skyway. Mum paid the rest. Was my pride and joy for 6 months, right up to the point that someone nicked it from the shed.
  • BMX then Racer
  • [cite]Posted By: cruicky21[/cite]SUBBUTEO - The greatest table top football game the world has ever seen.

I do love Subbuteo.......but, the crown has to go to Striker, by Parker.

It had a much better design, to move & kick the ball, than the flick aspect of Subbuteo.

For those not familiar with the game, the outfield players had 1 standing leg on a flat, u-shaped base, with a ball-sized recess, 1 moving leg, controlled by a spring, activated by the pushing down of the head.
    The goalies had similar arm/rod design to the subbuteo design, but they also had swivelling bodies that could throw the ball, by pressing a button on the arm/rod. Pressed in mid air, & you could make some great saves.

You scored some really spectacular goals too, & the passing was way more accurate. You could vary the height & strength of your passes & shots, in accordance to how hard you pressed the head. You could also do great lobs, by tilting the player slightly backward, as you pressed the head/kicked the ball.

It had a similar 'zonal' design' in terms of gameplay, & markings, as on the subbuteo pitch, & was a 5-aside game.

The Subbuteo accessories were/are brilliant though, & unrivalled. I've still got loads of stands & terraces, & pitches & floodlights, in a loft .

Another cracking table footy game is Tomy Super Cup Football. Like a reversed/inverted Fussbull, motorised & miniaturised.

It sounded like a hoover & caused interference on the TV screen.
    We had to stop playing at certain times, for the folks to watch their TV programmes, then quickly get 2 minutes in, during the adverts! :-) Me & my brother were obsessed!

Still got that somewhere too! :-D
  • Subbuteo always had the edge because of the collecting side of it.

me and my friends used to combine the two. you had a Striker 'keeper and one Striker striker, the rest of the team were subbuteo players.
  • Purple MII Chopper.