Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Couple of interesting books and one written by an Addick

well interesting to me, Addickted and Imissthepeanutman at least.

Clive Harris is an Addick who runs tours of the Western Front battlefields and has researched the graves of CAFC players who died in WWI

Comments

• Another interesting book for local Greenwich people - am putting on my Christmas wish list and I believe published by an Addick?!

Sounds great.

well a good review anyway.
  • Sad i missed this thread before

Oh well atleast i know what santa is getting me this year all 3 books
  • Don't forget to add the Ackworth tome to that list NLA.
  • Thanks Henry...you didnt mention my book! S'ok, it's not about footballers and it's crap anyway!
  • [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Thanks Henry...you didnt mention my book! S'ok, it's not about footballers and it's crap anyway!

That would be because I didn't know you had a book. Is it Green?
  • edited September 2010
    Only if you burn it instead of fossil fuel, which I expect many have done so already. Got a stack of them here, can't even give them away lol.
  • [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Only if you burn it instead of fossil fuel, which I expect many have done so already. Got a stack of them here, can't even give them away lol.

Leave one at Main Reception at the Valley for me. Would be interested to read even if it's not green (old joke for Porridge fans)
  • [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Only if you burn it instead of fossil fuel, which I expect many have done so already. Got a stack of them here, can't even give them away lol.

What is the name of the book and what is it about? I may well be a prospective customer and yet I know nothing of your wares.
  • edited September 2010
    It's called "Highly Strung" here's the synopsis. It's a bit of a girly book...think Notting Hill, British farce but with a decent helping of pathos, plus more twists than a set of drills.

Benedicte Legrand: an introverted young tennis pro has Asperger Syndrome
    (a mild form of Autism) but does not know it. Volatile, defensive and all-round
    anti-social, she is so unpopular that not even her compatriots wish her well. She hates her ways and yearns desperately to change, but to little avail, until in the most important match of her career she comes to grips with the notoriously corrupt umpire Nils Pedersen, whose bizarre actions lead to the event ending in tragedy. Mentally disorientated and paralysed from the waist down, Benedicte begins to tackle the unenviable task of re-mapping her life, albeit with an unbefittingly light heart that rather phases her few loved ones, who are bamboozled by the inexplicable change in her and daunted by the challenges her invalidity presents. Adamant that she will not return home and burden them further, she decides to flee the hospital, but with no friends to speak of she has nowhere to go and in desperation finds herself turning to the very man responsible for her plight, who apparently knows much more about her than he has right to
  • Sponsored links:

• As mentioned in passing in the Blitz thread, Clive's latest book, 'A Guide to Wartime' is due to be published soon. I've worked on this as well and have seen the first draft and can recommend it.

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/?product_id=2535
  • [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]It's called "Highly Strung" here's the synopsis. It's a bit of a girly book...think Notting Hill, British farce but with a decent helping of pathos, plus more twists than a set of drills.

Benedicte Legrand: an introverted young tennis pro has Asperger Syndrome
    (a mild form of Autism) but does not know it. Volatile, defensive and all-round
    anti-social, she is so unpopular that not even her compatriots wish her well. She hates her ways and yearns desperately to change, but to little avail, until in the most important match of her career she comes to grips with the notoriously corrupt umpire Nils Pedersen, whose bizarre actions lead to the event ending in tragedy. Mentally disorientated and paralysed from the waist down, Benedicte begins to tackle the unenviable task of re-mapping her life, albeit with an unbefittingly light heart that rather phases her few loved ones, who are bamboozled by the inexplicable change in her and daunted by the challenges her invalidity presents. Adamant that she will not return home and burden them further, she decides to flee the hospital, but with no friends to speak of she has nowhere to go and in desperation finds herself turning to the very man responsible for her plight, who apparently knows much more about her than he has right to

Not that old plot again?
  • Yeah, it's shit isnt it lol.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Only if you burn it instead of fossil fuel, which I expect many have done so already. Got a stack of them here, can't even give them away lol.

Leave one at Main Reception at the Valley for me. Would be interested to read even if it's not green (old joke for Porridge fans)

You wouldnt like it...
  • [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: windscreen[/cite]Only if you burn it instead of fossil fuel, which I expect many have done so already. Got a stack of them here, can't even give them away lol.

You wouldnt like it...

Never go for a career in sales.
  • edited September 2010
    LOL Henry, I don't have anything creditable to sell...no, not even my body! And to be brutally honest, I will probably burn the lot.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Another interesting book for local Greenwich people - am putting on my Christmas wish list and I believe published by an Addick?!

Sounds great.

well a good review anyway.

I got this book for Christmas. Pictures of the Valley and the Bugle then and now in it. Familiar faces in the current Bugle picture. Nice little book.