Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kolo Toure has been a naughty boy

suspended by Citeh after failing a drug test

Comments

• ''Suspended after testing positive for a specified substance'' - although no one will specify what the substance was. At least with Charlie Sheen we knew what he was on!
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]''Suspended after testing positive for a specified substance'' - although no one will specify what the substance was. At least with Charlie Sheen we knew what he was on!

he can't wait to tell you and his honesty is commendable
  • edited March 2011
    Maybe they will send him out on loan to a lower league team as punishment?
  • [cite]Posted By: Dizzle[/cite]Maybe they will send him iut on loan to a lower league team as punishment?

He would need to be on the same stuff as Charlie Sheen to agree to come to us
  • What if they MADE him! As punishment!
  • well slater is a city fan, so maybe he could twist the arm of the city board to send him our way!
  • [cite]Posted By: incorruptible addick[/cite]''Suspended after testing positive for a specified substance'' - although no one will specify what the substance was. At least with Charlie Sheen we knew what he was on!

Everything?
  • A specified substance is one that can appear naturally, like testosterone for example.

Would be difficult to believe anyone at City had taken performance enhancing drugs considering the way they've stumbled along this season.......
  • Surely these rules need changing? Obviously if someone like Mutu or even shaun Newton is caught taking cocaine then fair enough ban them, but if a slight trace of something is found in a medicine (as in Paddy kenny's case) or dietary supplement (as in toure's case) then how can that be deemed performance enhancing?
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Surely these rules need changing? Obviously if someone like Mutu or even shaun Newton is caught taking cocaine then fair enough ban them, but if a slight trace of something is found in a medicine (as in Paddy kenny's case) or dietary supplement (as in toure's case) then how can that be deemed performance enhancing?

A banned substance is a banned substance. Surely if you are a pro footballer part of your regime should be controlling what enters your body.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2011
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Surely these rules need changing? Obviously if someone like Mutu or even shaun Newton is caught taking cocaine then fair enough ban them, but if a slight trace of something is found in a medicine (as in Paddy kenny's case) or dietary supplement (as in toure's case) then how can that be deemed performance enhancing?

Surely if the supplements don't enhance his performance, there is little point taking them. There is also plenty enough supplements that don't contain banned substances.
  • I think that it's the case that some traces of it can be found in dietary supplements, but ALSO in illegal enhancers. The question is which did this come from...
  • Is coming to Charlton at the moment deemed a punishment?
  • Anyone who's followed athletics for a while will have heard the "it was from a medicine/supplement that I took and I didn't know there was anything bad in it" excuse many times before. They're all given lists of what not to take and are all told to be VERY careful about what goes into their body. I think that a lot more performance enhancing drug-taking goes on in football than we realise. Rio Ferdinand 'forgetting' to give a sample a few years ago springs to mind.
  • [cite]Posted By: HarryHutchens[/cite]Anyone who's followed athletics for a while will have heard the "it was from a medicine/supplement that I took and I didn't know there was anything bad in it" excuse many times before. They're all given lists of what not to take and are all told to be VERY careful about what goes into their body. I think that a lot more performance enhancing drug-taking goes on in football than we realise. Rio Ferdinand 'forgetting' to give a sample a few years ago springs to mind.

I'm sure I'll get a lot of stick for this because everyone likes to vilify footballers but in Rio's case he was moving house that day, which if anyone has done before is something a little bit more than a slight inconvenience. Yes he shouldn't have forgotten but I don't think we should all immediate assume that he 'forgot' cause he was trying to hide something.
  • Kolo Toure has been banned for 6 months from the 3rd March of this year. In essence a 3 game ban at the start of next season.
  • edited May 2011
    To be fair he's been dippy and City's medical staff have been below their professional expectations.

6 months is very severe (in the meantime he cannot participate with any team activities including training) for allegedly what were his wife's slimming pills (water tablets) but a failed test is a failed test I suppose. As for back-dating, works the same as a criminal sentence when someone is on remand.
  • Disagree mate.  We need a lot more stringent testing in this country to bring it up to the standards of some other European countries, random tests after games rather than the cozy appointment system in place right now.  Water isn't a banned substance.  US diet pills are full of stuff that isn't appropriate.

@Jolly - you're not remembering the case correctly he wasn't moving house.  He "forgot" then decided to purchase a house during his free afternoon then voluntarily submitted himself for a test a few days later.  A few days being the amount of time it takes for a number of recreational drugs to wash through your system.  I don't think that top footballers brains are relied on very much.  Generally a team like Man U will have someone to make sure that they're in the right place at the right time.  I'd happily believe Rio would forget to put his shoes on, I just don't believe that Man U wouldn't be making sure that he had shoes on, if you get my drift.

• Plus, even if he was moving house, can you honestly picture him lugging boxes around? He'd have paid someone to do it for him. Where's the stress in that?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2011

Unable to start a thread of my own for some reason I thought i'd post the information on this one:

A top premier league footballer has tested positive for cocaine.

He was later sold by his club in a multi-million pound deal but the new team were not told of the drug test, a TV investigation claims.

The mans identity will be revealed tonight by Dispatches (C4 at 9pm) as it focuses on the use of recreational and performance enhancing drugs in football. The show claims to have discovered the identities of dozens of footballers who have failed drugs tests for cocaine and cannabis.

Their names have been kept secret by the football association (oh how I'm not surprised) and their clubs.

It is also claimed 240 drugs tests had to be abandoned between April 2007 and August 2010 after officials turned up at training grounds only to discover the players weren't there.

The show claims to have official documents that show 3 former England internationals and one Scottish star faced doping investigations after suspicious levels of testosterone were found in their urine.

All 4 were later cleared of wrong doing.

David Howman of the World Anti Doping Agency said The FA needed to be more open about drug testing. He added "if you don't, then you are susceptible to an allegation you're hiding something."

The Fa said it abides to the World Anti Doping Agency code.

My punts on .....

• No name speculating please, risk of unnecessary hassle.

Cheers guys.
  • not naming names but I'm sure on of those played for us in the last few years
  • edited September 2011
    None of these players will be banned for drinking alcohol, which is a more dangerous and damaging drug than marijuana or ecstacy - neither of which are performance enhancing.

Cocaine is extremely damaging, second only to heroin, so I can kind of understand that. 

But as for cannabis and Es, mind your own business I say.
  • Looks like it's on at 8pm C4 not 9pm
  • Surprised to see how lienient those sentances are compared to other sports. England rugby player Matt Stevens got 2 years for Cocaine some of the bans listed are for months... nicely covered using a re-occurring injury excuse from clubs?

Still there all still much better than US sports where the ban for performance enhancing drugs up untill 2008 was between 4-10 games.

• We've had a few in the last few years that looked like they'd been shooting up just before kick off
  • We've had a few in the last few years that looked like they'd been shooting up just before kick off
    I wished i had for the last few years...
  • Could explain Cory gibbs never playing for us....