Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'United': Film on BBC 2 on Sunday.

On BBC Breakfast this morning they discussed this fact based film of the Busby Babes and Munich with David Tennant who plays Jimmy Murphy, the then trainer. A clip they showed was of Murphy (Tennant) geeing the team up in the dressing room by calling out the names of towns the players came from. Doncaster, Barnsley, the North-East, and the players responded with boos and/or cheers. Then he said 'Charlton' and this was greeted with them all stamping their boots on the floor. Whether it was a reference to us or to Sir Bobby wasn't clear but the production and period detail looks good and perhaps things will be made clear on the night. It has a similar look to 'The Damn United'.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    I spotted that and I'd be interested to see if it is explained - I don't think we were rivals to them at that time. Unless it was just the fact that they were all Northerners and Charlton is down South?

How times change - imagine a professional team now consisting entirely of people from the UK, never mind a Northern team dominated by players born in the North of England.
  • edited April 2011
    March 51, I've seen a preview DVD of this and that scene is set before a game against Charlton at Old Trafford: 'Is anybody here from Charlton? Good, because I bloody hate Charlton...' He then launches into a team-building tirade about everyone in Charlton speaking in stupid Cockney rhyming slang and 'South east bloody London', etc. Bobby Charlton, of course, scored his first and second ever goals against us in that game in which, I believe, we had a half-time lead, though lost 4-2. You'll also notice the marked difference between the two teams in the tunnel: the Charlton players all look old and overweight (one unnamed Charlton player even mocks Bobby Charlton for warming up), compared to the fresh-faced, toned, athletic Busby Babes.
  • Come on everyone lets not start the old chip on our shoulder routine.
  • It is a scene before they play us at OT.................OH 'old on Haksmoor beat me to it and sums it up better than i could ;-).

I'll be watching (even though i detest David Tennant!!)
  • Thanks Hawksmoor, I'll turn the sound down at that point for a while!
  • Worth a look, can anyone give us the Charlton line up for that game ?
  • I think some of this film was due to be filmed at Sparrows Lane but the bad weather prevented it.

6 October 1956

Man U 4 (Berry, Charlton (2) Whelan) CAFC 2 (Lucas, Ayre) 41,689

Charlton went 1 up and then 3 - 1 down, 3 - 2 down and then 4 - 2

Marsh, Campbell, Ellis, O'Linn, Hewie, Hammond, Ayre, Gauld, Leary, Lucas, White
  • I saw Hewie and Lucas play of that lot.

I'm sure others can beat that.
  • And they beat us 1-5 at The Valley: Bobby Charlton scoring his first League hat trick. My dad and I missed it as, for some reason, it was played on a week-day afternoon
  • Just out of interest. We all know it's just a bit of drama and even if true more about geeing up the Man U players than anything else but for the record.

Marsh, (Dundee)
    Campbell, (Glasgow)
    Ellis, (Charlton)
    O'Linn, (Cape Town)
    Hewie, (Nr Pretoria)
    Hammond, (Woolwich)
    Ayre, (Berwick on Tweed)
    Gauld, (Aberdeen)
    Leary, (Cape Town)
    Lucas, (Slade Green)
    White (Bethnal Green)

One "Cockney", three south Londoners plus three Saffers and three and half jocks.
  • Sponsored links:

• You can be a Cockney from South London. Bethnal Green could be stretching it a bit far for a real Cockney.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Just out of interest. We all know it's just a bit of drama and even if true more about geeing up the Man U players than anything else but for the record.

Marsh, (Dundee)
    Campbell, (Glasgow)
    Ellis, (Charlton)
    O'Linn, (Cape Town)
    Hewie, (Nr Pretoria)
    Hammond, (Woolwich)
    Ayre, (Berwick on Tweed)
    Gauld, (Aberdeen)
    Leary, (Cape Town)
    Lucas, (Slade Green)
    White (Bethnal Green)

One "Cockney", three south Londoners plus three Saffers and three and half jocks.

Didn't Ayre play for England U23s?

If so 3 Jocks
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Just out of interest. We all know it's just a bit of drama and even if true more about geeing up the Man U players than anything else but for the record.

Marsh, (Dundee)
    Campbell, (Glasgow)
    Ellis, (Charlton)
    O'Linn, (Cape Town)
    Hewie, (Nr Pretoria)
    Hammond, (Woolwich)
    Ayre, (Berwick on Tweed)
    Gauld, (Aberdeen)
    Leary, (Cape Town)
    Lucas, (Slade Green)
    White (Bethnal Green)

If so 3 Jocks

He did but Berwick is on the border hence the joke about him being half Scottish.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Just out of interest. We all know it's just a bit of drama and even if true more about geeing up the Man U players than anything else but for the record.

Marsh, (Dundee)
    Campbell, (Glasgow)
    Ellis, (Charlton)
    O'Linn, (Cape Town)
    Hewie, (Nr Pretoria)
    Hammond, (Woolwich)
    Ayre, (Berwick on Tweed)
    Gauld, (Aberdeen)
    Leary, (Cape Town)
    Lucas, (Slade Green)
    White (Bethnal Green)

If so 3 Jocks

He did but Berwick is on the border hence the joke about him being half Scottish.

I got the Berwick bit. I thought you were perhaps coming at it from the other direction and calling him a half jock because he lived on the Border particularly as Ayre is a Scottish name i believe.
  • See you both on Platform 5.......
  • Mention of the air crash always brings to my mind a double meeting between Charlton and Man Utd over the Christmas period just two years before the disaster. We lost 1-5 at Old Trafford on 26 December and then beat them 3-0 the very next day at The Valley on my 10th birthday. Man Utd had 6 of the 8 players who died in the crash playing for them that day.

In the programme for the match against Spurs on 31st (the club's 4th First Division game in 7 days!), the club notes said:

'The 5-1 defeat at Manchester on Monday did our goals average no good at all, but even so our 5 reserves put up a gallant show - particularly wing halves Syd O'Lynn and Gordon Pembery.

Tuesday's 3-0 victory over the league leaders, Manchester United, was a crowning holiday success, and it did our hearts good to hear the full-throated roar of the 42,000 crowd when Jimmy Gauld scored the first goal. But for Wood's brilliance in goal we would have routed United by a big score. We certainly overplayed them - particularly in the first half.'

Those were the days - I thought watching Charlton was always going to be like that!
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I saw Hewie and Lucas play of that lot.

Hewie and Leary.

But surely you too saw Leary play, Len?
  • Wonder why Eddie Marsh was playing.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I saw Hewie and Lucas play of that lot.

I'm sure others can beat that.[/quote]

Hewie and Leary.

But surely you too saw Leary play, Len?[/quote]

And Ron White.......inside left....as it was?
  • [cite]Posted By: Six-a-bag-of-nuts[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I saw Hewie and Lucas play of that lot.

Hewie and Leary.

But surely you too saw Leary play, Len?

No I narrowly missed Leary sadly (although I saw him play cricket for Kent plenty of times). My first match was early 1963 and Leary was transferred to QPR shortly before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Man Utd air crash.....one of biggest memories buying the paper on my way to school and seeing the picture of the team with each player marked as injured (Duncan Edwards ironically marked as injured) ......or dead....shattering at the time. Then how the team was rebuilt with Ernie Taylor etc....hard still not to have a soft spot for them despite all those years ago.
  • my grandad told me Duncan Edwards was proper class and would have been the best the world had seen
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]On BBC Breakfast this morning they discussed this fact based film of the Busby Babes and Munich with David Tennant who plays Jimmy Murphy, the then trainer. A clip they showed was of Murphy (Tennant) geeing the team up in the dressing room by calling out the names of towns the players came from. Doncaster, Barnsley, the North-East, and the players responded with boos and/or cheers. Then he said 'Charlton' and this was greeted with them all stamping their boots on the floor. Whether it was a reference to us or to Sir Bobby wasn't clear but the production and period detail looks good and perhaps things will be made clear on the night. It has a similar look to 'The Damn United'.[/quote]

Yes it was reference to us. We were a top team back then ;-(
  • still find this story so so sad, so many players taken before reaching their true potential.

GOD BLESS THEM ALL
  • Terribly sad story.

However, I noticed they still made it to The Cup Final with only Harry Gregg in goal & later Bobby Charlton of the original 11. Somethings never change :-)
  • "I fucking hate Charlton... Apples and pears"
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]my grandad told me Duncan Edwards was proper class and would have been the best the world had seen

Yep 100% agree....I was told the same by my dad and grandad who were CAFC through and through..but said Edwards was 2 classes above any player they had ever seen before...such a shame he was taken at such a young age....better than Best/Pele.....who will ever know....but I trusted my old mans judgement.
    Thought tonights programe was excellent....even after the Charlton quips at the start...thought it was done with a touch of reverance.....well done to the makers!
  • I can't believe no ones mentioned one of the united players smoking a pipe while in the tunnel waiting to go out onto the pitch, bloody hilarious.
  • It was billed as a drama based on real events rather than a documentary and it was an excellent and moving piece of TV watched in that light (although I missed the last 15 minutes).

That said I still found myself trying to work out who the mouthy charlton player was and who the centre forward who was quicker than he looked was!

Alan Hardaker would never have said SKEDULE rather than SHEDULE for schedule in 1958 but apart from that they captured the era really well I thought.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]It was billed as a drama based on real events rather than a documentary and it was an excellent and moving piece of TV watched in that light (although I missed the last 15 minutes).

That said I still found myself trying to work out who the mouthy charlton player was and who the centre forward who was quicker than he looked was!

Alan Hardaker would never have said SKEDULE rather than SHEDULE for schedule in 1958 but apart from that they captured the era really well I thought.
    Agreed it was a good programme; sad yet amusing in parts. Personally I liked the Tim Healy character best, but that was just a bit part. I don't think the mouthy bloke was meant to be anyone in particular, in the credits it just said "Charlton Player". "Skedule" jarred with me too.