Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

An over reaction......maybe

I could have probably entitled this "Is this what it's come down to" but the alternate heading will do.

I am loathe to criticize anyone on this site, the people who run it, the people who post, ANYONE (I imagine
my membership would be short lived) and I apologize for anything in the following that offends but I had to say it.

I was reading the post "Closest you have come to death" and I was thinking "Is this appropriate?" To some people
like myself who have had a brush with death, who are struggling to deal with it, to read something that sounds like
it just put up there in a blase manner. I wonder if anyone reading this site was involved in 7/7/7 and who have chosen
not to share because they feel the same way.

That was not my near death experience. I was in a train once that crashed because this stupid f###wit of a truck driver
decided he would try and beat the blaring signals and got stuck. The train, naturally going at speed, couldn't stop in time
and crashed head on. Moments before, I was talking to these kids, probably 5-6 yrs old, when everyone heard the warning
signals, I sent these kids back to their parents. An almighty boom etc ensued. When we came to, I was alive but the kids were not.
I was alive but a lot of people in the train were not. To this day, I struggle to deal with this and every aspect of it. Would the kids have
been alive if I kept them with me? Why am I alive? I've never caught a train since, how can I????

I have rarely shared this story with anyone, you who read this consider yourself the lucky ones, in more than one way. But I just think
it was tacky, stupid if you will, to let that post go through. And someone on that post said they had died three time, are they the winner?
Nice way of looking at it....am I the winner? Screw everyone if I am, I sure don't feel like it!!

Comments

• although its not an actual comment on this page i would just like to commend your braveness in sharing what must have been a life changing experience
  • So, you clicked on a thread that was clearly labelled, then got offended by it, then created a separate thread sharing your (horrific) experience that you don't like to talk about.  I don't understand.  There's a lot of dreadful stuff on the internet.  Some of it even upsets me, so I leave it alone.  Not deliberately trying to be cold, I just can't work out the thought process.
  • So, you clicked on a thread that was clearly labelled, then got offended by it, then created a separate thread sharing your (horrific) experience that you don't like to talk about.  I don't understand.  There's a lot of dreadful stuff on the internet.  Some of it even upsets me, so I leave it alone.  Not deliberately trying to be cold, I just can't work out the thought process.

I think the thought process is out of wack because the experience of Nordic is something that no individual can get to grips with. His post is more likely part of that process ie an attempt to come to terms. Good luck and best wishes with what will be extremely difficult situation to process. I suggest we cut him some slack.
  • Well, there was nothing "funny" about the experience I shared on that thread.
  • If you haven't suffered a bit of tragedy in your life then you are very lucky or still young. Life is all ups and downs, we just hope the former outweigh the latter.

I think the original thread benifted from the odd humourous post, you cannot go through life dwelling on the horrific events that most of us have to endure.

• Yes, an over reaction to a football discussion site that branches out into many varied topics.
    We all choose which topics we decide to open and read.
    There are topics I would never open.

In this case, if I knew I would be upset by the theme clearly labelled in the title, I would not open it. Having just re-read the thread the posts are very sanitised versions of many individuals' obviously traumatic experiences. Which may on balance be even a little theraputic for those concerned.

Personally I would also not extend the topic by creating a new thread.
  • It's all relative to each person too.

One person may feel that anothers experience is a lesser tragic experience compared to their own but to the person writing it - it is their worst experience, so valid never-the-less. Anyway is it a competition?

I have my own, which I choose not to share here, but I enjoyed reading all of the stories and I would rather read about real life than another 'Would You?' thread.

It's good (and healthy) to talk about things that are happy and sad. We all experience them (in different levels) so why not talk about them?
  • Clue was in the title, so should not have opened it .

Simples

• As several other people have already said, the thread was clearly titled. What did you expect to read?
  • So what if it is in the title? If that is the case it would be acceptable to start a thread with indecent photos of youngsters but because the title says so it is ok? Some people's logic on here really is bewildering.
  • Sponsored links:

• So what if it is in the title? If that is the case it would be acceptable to start a thread with indecent photos of youngsters but because the title says so it is ok? Some people's logic on here really is bewildering.
    Get back to your Daily Mail. That's a pathetic comment and an offensive example to make .. 
  • What a ridiculous analogy colthe, I am bewildered myself now (nothing new there...).

I cannot understand your logic at all ... ridiculous
  • My point exactly beds, I'm sure everyone would find it offensive if that came up and just the title alone would do it. But likewise a thread about near death would also provoke previous thoughts about bad times in their or other people's lives. Like Nordic said in his original post he is struggling to come to terms with it so just the title alone would have been enough to provoke those memories to come up again.

And I have never nor will I ever purchase/read the Daily Mail thanks.

False logic Col.

One is illegal the other legal although possibly distasteful and distressing to some.

If it's legal then on a forum we may not like something or agree with it ourselves but in the interests of free speech and debate we have to accept it in MY opinion anyway.

• edited May 2011

• If you have issues over a near-death experience and decide to read a thread about near death experiences then what exactly do you expect to happen?
  • If you have issues over a near-death experience and decide to read a thread about near death experiences then what exactly do you expect to happen?

It's not my place to speak for Nordic addick but sometimes it can be cathartic to hear the experiences of others and perhaps that was why he went to the thread. However perhaps the flippant nature of some of the posts then upset him.

In other words he probably didn't know what to expect.

It's not my place to speak for Nordic addick but sometimes it can be cathartic to hear the experiences of others and perhaps that was why he went to the thread. However perhaps the flippant nature of some of the posts then upset him.

In other words he probably didn't know what to expect.

From a football discussion list?
    Come on!
  • In other words he probably didn't know what to expect.

Or he is a pain in the arse based in Sydney who has now registered on this site under about a dozen different names. Perhaps
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps in hindsight the thread could've been titled differently - I don't know how exactly. But I'm sure the intention of that thread was in no way meant to offend anyone. As has been pointed out, there was a certain amount of self-deprecating humour used to recount stories, many of which were painful or upsetting, including, to some extent, mine. Although my getting run over as a kid pales into insignificance when compared to the original poster's story, which, understandably haunts him to this day.
  • Point of order lads, it's PRAPPS not Perhaps.
  • In other words he probably didn't know what to expect.

Or he is a pain in the arse based in Sydney who has now registered on this site under about a dozen different names. Perhaps

Just what I was thinking AFKA. He rarely comments on an existing thread, but has to start his own one each time & I believe he has been told about this before.

Attention seeking at its' best.

• edited May 2011
    Can no one bump any match threads please they evoke memories of too many bad times in my life.
  • Plaayer,
    As you have visited the site more than the THREE times Nordic Addick has, you should know by now that you do have the option of not reading those traumatic dark episodes of our collective past!!
  • definately an over reaction. The thread title was quite explanatory so if you didn't like the memories it would evoke then don't read it.