Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fair play to Fulham

That's them fighting to avoid relegation next season then :-)

Fulham will play in the Europa League next season after
earning a spot through the Fair Play League.

England had received an extra Europa League place by finishing second in
Uefa's fair play table for 2010/11.

Chelsea topped the Premier League Fair Play table but having already
qualified for the Champions League, Fulham in second were given the Europa spot.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Season starts for them in 4-5 weeks, assuming it is correct the first qualifying game is June 30th- ridiculous.
  • I bet they are well chuffed.

I think they had something like 10 yellow cards & a red in their last 2 games. (Methinks the players were desperately trying to avoid this prestigious competition.)

• How did they do in the league when they got to the final last year?
    The new format doesn't work but for a team like Fulham they will love being in Europe again.
  • We were in for it one season a few years back i seem to remember, but missed out when th enames we darwn out of the hat.
  • edited May 2011
    Muttley, I believe it was the 2005/2006 season, we were top of the chart but there was an administrative error and somewhere like Norway and maybe Portugal were the two countries to be drawn out instead

• edited May 2011
    FA sweetens Addicks

Charlton have received the backing of the Football Association after controversially missing out on the UEFA Fair Play draw last week.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick instructed a personal response be sent to the Premiership club, with the national association admitting it was 'embarrassed' after the Addicks lost out on the chance of major continental football for the first time following the administrative blunder.

And the FA will now express its own concern to UEFA with regard to how the process unravelled.
    A Charlton delegation was set to travel to Porto on Sunday, June 4th to take their place with 10 other teams in a lottery for two UEFA Cup places in 2006/07.

But, following a tip off from a Sky Sports News reporter, who had studied a list of the teams taking part in the draw on the UEFA website and seen just 10 names - not including Charlton - confirmed that England's Fair Play ranking had dipped below the necessary 8.00 mark.

Upon further investigation the club was told the Football Association had never received the final Fair Play table or been notified by UEFA that England had dropped out of the reckoning.

Addicks chief executive Peter Varney, who had received written confirmation from the FA stating the Valley men would be the country's representatives in Portugal, branded the situation 'shambolic'.
    He said: "On checking this with the Football Association they advised us that they had not received a copy of the revised draw participants from UEFA, and then on checking with UEFA we were apparently no longer in the draw.

"The whole situation is a complete shambles and reflects very poorly on both our own Football Association and UEFA."

After writing to the FA Charlton received a speedy response from Soho Square sympathising with the situation.

Speaking on behalf of Barwick, FA head of football administration Graham Noakes said: "Thank you for your letter regarding your anger and disappointment at the handling of the English Fair Play nomination.

"Brian Barwick has asked that I reply to you as he is in Germany at this time, and he shares your concern at the manner in which you discovered that England had fallen out of the qualifying group of national associations that had a mark of 8.00 or more."

The letter continued: "The Football Association will express its concern to UEFA over the way in which the final UEFA Fair Play table was released.

"While we understand from UEFA that those associations with a mark of 8.00 or more were notified directly, it is not appropriate that those who fell below the required mark were made aware only through a media release with no specific notice being sent to the associations."

News that Charlton had booked flights to Portugal, where the draw would take place during half-time in the U21 European Championship final, were also met with sympathy by the game's governing body.
    The letter added: "It is even more frustrating to discover that you had been arranging travel to the draw with UEFA and yet still not received no indication that England were no longer in a qualifying position until the media release was issued on Thursday evening."

Claims that disciplinary action in both the Champions League final and UEFA Cup final - involving Arsenal and Middlesbrough respectively - further jeopardised Charlton's own European dream were not swept aside either.

Arsenal keeper Jens Lehmann was dismissed early against Barcelona, a red card that could have been the difference between a place in a draw or a place among the marginally well behaved nations.

The letter continued: "With regards to your claim that the inclusion of the two final matches of UEFA's cup competitions disadvantaged your club, I would point out that the basis upon which UEFA calculates its own 
    Fair Play ranking is clear and is an average of all matches up to the end of their season.

"It is apparent that despite being within the qualifying group of associations for most of the season, and certainly up until the time the FA wrote confirming that you had been nominated as the winner of the domestic Fair Play league, England suffered as a result of the two UEFA finals.

"Of course, had England been ranked marginally below the qualifying mark prior to the finals we could have benefited from good marks in those games.

"I will forward you a copy of my letter to UEFA asking that they review their procedures for next season to avoid a repeat of the embarrassment that you faced."

At Sunday's draw, Belgium's KSV Roeselare and SK Brann of Norway were drawn out and handed UEFA Cup places.

F**king Arsenal, F**king 'Boro :-(
  • booooooooooooooooooo
  • That's them fighting to avoid relegation next season then :-)

Fulham will play in the Europa League next season after
    earning a spot through the Fair Play League.

England had received an extra Europa League place by finishing second in
    Uefa's fair play table for 2010/11.

Chelsea topped the Premier League Fair Play table but having already
    qualified for the Champions League, Fulham in second were given the Europa spot.

Was that because they couldn't be arsed to challenge for anything after butch wilkins left?
  • Bollocks to Fulham.

I still bear a considerable grudge against them for that dodgy free-kick 'goal' that helped send us down....not that I'm bitter or anything.

• Silly small club. Andy Johnson came round to buy my house once wearing flip flops, what a wan##r !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Bollocks to Fulham.

I still bear a considerable grudge against them for that dodgy free-kick 'goal' that helped send us down....not that I'm bitter or anything.

Do you mean the throw in that was given to fulham by Graham Poll when it was quite clearly a Charlton throw . It lead directly to a Fulham goal and us not getting the three points if I remember.
  • Fulham are one of those horrible little clubs like Wigan who would be averaging about 6000 fans in the Championship should they get relegated. 
  • I bloody hate Fulham. That is all.
  • Fulham are just boring with a spiteful manager
  • That's the one, Beds.

I knew it was something that left me utterly enraged, but forgot the details due to the seething anger induced in me by the mention of the 'F' word!

And my hangover, of course.

Anyway, their manager has done very well and I wouldn't be surprised if he got nicked by a bigger club.  He's too good for them!

• edited May 2011
    Wasn't it that Graham Poll gave a free kick to Fulham when it was a blatant throw to us? They scored from the resulting free kick to nick a point.
  • Yep, throw to us, Poll gave a foul, Traore and the Lino didn't say a word about it, they put in a long ball and it pinged about, someone smashed it home (Davies?) and the rest is history
  • The old BBC Report states:

The ball seemed to go out of play off visitors winger Tomasz Radzinski as he challenged for the ball with Addicks defender Djimi Traore.

The assistant referee gave Fulham a free-kick for a Charlton handball and, after the Addicks failed to clear Michael Brown's set-piece, Queudrue struck home a volley.

It was cruel finish for Charlton and Pardew, who are now seven points behind fourth-from-bottom Sheffield United.

How times change

• It actually came off the Fulham players hand and they gave it the other way! It still riles me when I think about it.