Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Norwich City give life ban to fan who made racist comments re Mark Bright on Twitter

Just been reported on 5Live. Apparently Norwich fans have been giving Brighty abuse because he said they will finish bottom of the PL next season (his Twitter feed is full of it). One of the NCFC fans directed some racist abuse at him. The club identified him and have banned him from Carrow Road for life.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Obviously racism is disgraceful and rightly a criminal offence.

However, is it a bit over the top to ban him for life for an offence he committed on social media outside of the ground?

If he had a row in a pub with a member of another race with both wearing football shirts and used racist language and deservedly got prosecuted... would he be banned from Norwich games?
  • I would suspect Norwich would ban him
  • UPDATE: Having investigated further, the racist comment was referring to Norwich striker James Vaughan by the N-word. It happened as part of the Norwich fans v Mark Bright Twitter bin fest, but was directed at Vaughan not Bright. Not that that makes any difference.
  • What's wrong with predicting them to finish bottom, isn't he allowed an opinion? Idiots.
  • UPDATE: Having investigated further, the racist comment was referring to Norwich striker James Vaughan by the N-word. It happened as part of the Norwich fans v Mark Bright Twitter bin fest, but was directed at Vaughan not Bright. Not that that makes any difference.
    Makes it even more strange. Why would he racially abuse their own signing? If the idiot was having a go at someone you could see where racist abuse would be used against the person you're having an argument with if that was what he decided to do... but why Vaughan?
    Makes it even more strange. Why would he racially abuse their own signing? If the idiot was having a go at someone you could see where racist abuse would be used against the person you're having an argument with if that was what he decided to do... but why Vaughan?
    Errr...maybe because the guy simply is a racist?
  • bright was acting all smug and happy about it, racism wasn't needed but it even pissed me off the smug prick.
  • edited May 2011
    Ive been following this argument today.  That "fan" really is an an absolute idiot.

I keep persevering with twitter but you dont half read some vile stuff on there and it also has become one great big gossip/spitefest. 

• It started with this tweet ..

ODonoughoe Luke 

@MattyBarty Be proud of our mainly white british team. If you love blacks and foreigners so much go support Arsenal.

• edited May 2011

Ive been following this argument today.  That "fan" really is an an absolute idiot.

I keep persevering with twitter but you dont half read some vile stuff on there and it also has become one great big gossip/spitefest. 

People justify shite with the statement that it's banter ... I only follow people who interest me, so I just follow myself :)
  • Sponsored links:

• A lot of the stuff that catches your eye on twitter is outrageous. It's a whole new level for people who would never say things in person to broadcast them.
  • It's getting a bit ridiculous now. The Norwich message boards have found the racist's Facebook page and posted up his mobile number and e-mail address. Mark Bright, meanwhile, has blocked everyone associated with NCFC (including, for example, Dion Dublin) from his Twitter on the basis of that one racist fan. FFS.
  • Or maybe he blocked them because his inbox was getting full up and he was fed up with deleting them. Twitter can be rather like junk mail like that.
  • Ive been following this argument today.  That "fan" really is an an absolute idiot.

People justify shite with the statement that it's banter ... I only follow people who interest me, so I just follow myself :)
    You follow me Ric....
  • twitter what al oad of wank I 've tried to understand it and sorry I can't be arsed.
  • Twitter is a big con like most of the 'social network' media. Ideal for people like Stephen Fry and other pseudo know nothing know alls.  It brings social comment and 'freedom of speech' down to the lowest common denominator and is a prime example of marketing triumphing over common sense.

I'm amazed that anyone has the time to read and participate in tweeting or twittering let alone to take it all so seriously. Mind you, I DO get on here quite often

• Twatter
  • B T W without diverting too far from the post thread .. how DOES the BBC decide on it's footie 'experts'. Squeaky Claridge, Stuttery Brighty, do me a favour !!!!
  • I think Brighty is bloody awful as a commentator/reporter/presenter. No idea how he got the gig. Same with Garth Crooks really. Claridge plays the "thick as shit footballer" card very well, although I doubt he knows he's doing it!

And before I get accused of racism, would just like to put on record the fact that I think Clarke Carlisle comes across very well.
  • I keep revisiting Twitter on the basis that everyone else can't be wrong. I half hope I have been doing it wrong or find a magic switch but alas, I keep coming back to the opinions best expressed by Northstandsteve and Off It. Oh yes, and Garth Crooks has been feet and ankles below every other commentator since the day he started. It's amazing how many people are ready to be fooled by a plummy voice and for how long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Like the CAFC twitter when it is giving news and links.  Ditto some work colleagues I follow.

What I don't like or maybe haven't worked out is when you get a reply to a question from someone else but not the original question.  I know you can click on their twitter and see but it's a pain.
  • Just seen that Simon Jordan has a twitter page and is still rambling on about us. Such a twat
  • and Robbie Savage and Paul Smith from the Sunday Mirror are on top form slagging him off!
  • Link please Tom! 
  • Paul Smith- http://twitter.com/#!/Smudge1962
    Savage ( tells Jordan that he couldn't afford his car!)  http://twitter.com/#!/RobbieSavage8
  • edited June 2011
    Simon Jordan  @RoastUK Clowntown, are just ungrateful ex lodgers who had their time

• SimonJordan1 Simon Jordan  
    @RoastUK I think all stadiums had their own unique brand of charm and full of life except the valley which was full of s###
  • ^^^ Still got his charm I see. Oxygen thief.
  • Someone call him a c**t ffs.