Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THEATRE THREAD

edited June 2011 in Not Sports Related

We have Music, films, TV, stand up, books and all kinds.

I thought I would start an occasionally used thread for Addicks who go to live theatre and musicals.

Review, recommend, reminisce, react to plays you've seen, or intend to see. from school plays to Amdram to the Royal Shakespeare Company and beyond.

Comment on new theatre companies, venues ancient and modern, street theatre, dire or outstanding performances.

Comment on stories of school visits to theatre, or personal stories when you trod the boards.

There may not be many posts on here, but I wanted to flag it up.

Comments

• Theatre? That's a bit like 3D TV yeah?
  • OK I will start.

Went to the Young Vic last night to see the Government Inspector, four and five star reviews, and starring some bloke from the Mighty Boosh.

A six out of ten at best. Seemed uneven, and under prepared, lots of cliches and indulgent performances, and worst of all it wasn't funny.

Best bit was my mate being bumped into by Chris Addison (Thick of it) while queueing for the bogs at half time.

• I like it.
    Best bit of a theatre trip is bumping into someone off the telly!
  • Serious theatre addick here and have been for 47 years (ouch!). I won't bore you with the list but our walls are covered in programme montages and I love Pinter and Hamlet. I don't do touristy West End celeb. stuff.  If I ruled the world, I'd make the State pay for each and every person and family to go and see War Horse as it is a real treat.

• War Horse is a great Theatrical experience, hard to replicate in any other way, goodness knows why Spielberg is making it a film.

However the storyline isn't really anything particularly new or special.

Going to see The Cherry Orchard on 18th of next month at the national.

• Woman in black is a good theatre experience as well.
  • edited June 2011

Hakuna Matata............what a wonderful phrase,

Hakuna Matata............Aint no passing craze...........

It means no worry's for the rest of your days............

Love a bit of culture Seth........Seen Lion King 3 times,

Phantom of the Opera, Aspects of Love that sort of thing with the good lady...............

Cant get into the more serious stuff Seth, but I love a bit Theatre. Besides.............................

Where else  can you get a pair of binoculars for 20p?

Edit.............Should this go in the "I'm Drunk" thread?

• Woman in black is a good theatre experience as well.
    very good, sat near the Hoff watching this and the only thing wrong was all the screaming school girls, unfortunately for the Hoff they were not doing at him
  • never thought id ever really like the theatre until i went to see my neices in billy elliot up town.

absolutely blew me away.
  • Oops V!!!. Sounds like Plod may be visiting you soon
  • Sponsored links:

• Good work, Seth. Wife and daughter are seeing Billy Elliot tomorrow: I'pass on their thoughts.

I'd like to see 'War Horse' but I get upset and annoyed about WW1 so easily I probably wouldn't last for 2 or 3 hours.

• Went to see Thriller at the Lycium last month. Was just like a Michael Jackson karaoke night. Very Disappointing.
  • Saw Chicago a couple of weeks ago and thought it was very good and very sexy.
  • Saw Jersey Boys when I was over in May........best show I have ever seen (I have seen many), especially if you are an old fart like me and can remember most of the songs......it was brilliant
  • I forgot also saw the Producers on Broadway, cracking fun even though I hate musicals
  • First time I ever went to theatreland the wife to me to we will rock you about four years ago, which was pretty good (not being an avid goer) but then I decided to treat her to a night out and took her to see Spamalot (which I think has now disappeared) which was absolutely fantastic!
  • There is a lifer who is a pretty notable playwrght, and a season ticket holder in the East Stand.
  • edited June 2011
    Anyone else see War Horse yet? Any good?
  • Stomp at The Ambassadors Theatre, West Street, London, WC2

Saw Stomp at the Strand theatre a while back, excellent night out!

• I recently went to see Sign of the times with the bloke from shamless and Mathew Kelly.

Have to say it was unexpectedly good. Great plot, good script and very good acting.

• Sponsored links:

• Anyone else see War Horse yet? Any good?
    Brilliant and unlike anything else. For me it was summed up by the rouwdy teenage boys that we had sitting behind us. Didn't hear a squeak out of them after the first ten minutes.
  • edited June 2011
    never thought id ever really like the theatre until i went to see my neices in billy elliot up town.

absolutely blew me away.
    Gary, does your nieces Dad's name begin with 'T'?
  • Wy wife pronouces theatre as thee-etta.

Freak.
  • I'm not a theatre goer... the price of a glass of wine puts me off.  But I treated Tavern to tickets to see One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest with Christian Slater and his favourite actress Alex Kingston a few years back.

Wow.  I really should go more if thats what I'm missing out on.  I absolutely loved it.

• never thought id ever really like the theatre until i went to see my neices in billy elliot up town.

absolutely blew me away.
    It doesnt mate, no.

absolutely blew me away.
    It doesnt mate, no.
    What about P?
  • edited June 2011

x

• Has anyone seen Butley, which has Dominic West starring in it?

As good as it sounds?

absolutely blew me away.
    It doesnt mate, no.
    ok, my mate's daughter was in Billy Elliot in the West End. Live locally in SE9. She's also been in Eastenders.....

absolutely blew me away.
    It doesnt mate, no.
    ok, my mate's daughter was in Billy Elliot in the West End. Live locally in SE9. She's also been in Eastenders.....
    Does her uncle's name begin with S?