Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shay Given to Villa

Although keepers mature and retire later it seems ridiculous that Villa have given a 35 year old a five year contract.

Comments

• they have brad friedel at 40 ...
  • But where will Halifax play?
  • they have brad friedel at 40 ...
    Had, he's at Spurs now
    Very good!!

I can't believe that arsenal let this one go, a great signing for Villa.
  • agree, he would be another 6-8 points for Arsenal straight away
  • I dont think City would off sold to Arsenal unless they used it as part of a deal fro Nasri.
  • He's a great keeper, I would say a reasonably safe bet on a 5 year deal, even if he ends up playing second fiddle to someone towards the end of it.

Echo the Arsenal comments - I can see them dropping out of the top four this season if they don't start doing some serious business sharpish. Thought after the way last season went, Arsene might finally have learned his lesson,.

Exactly how I read it:  Shay, given to Villa
  • given's a good buy at any contract lenght! but i agree on the arsenal comments, they need to buy better players or they"ll be out of champions league.
  • I'm beginning to feel old - is Given really 35?
  • Sponsored links:

• Was a great keeper, after a year without playing will he be as good?

Has anyone signed Ben Foster yet?
  • Sorry to argue, but actually they did have to pay for him !
  • Sorry to argue, but actually they did have to pay for him !
    Trying to find where someone said they didn't granpa
  • given's a good buy at any contract lenght! but i agree on the arsenal comments, they need to buy better players or they"ll be out of champions league.
    I dont think Ars*nal need to start worrying just yet.

They'll start the season flying as they always do, W*nger will pull a lad out of the reserves and he'll be a £40m sensation over night.  They've only got to worry about Spurs and Liverpool (assuming Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea are top 4 with them) and I really cant see either troubling any of the top 4 tbh.  Spurs need to spend and the chairman seems reluctant to do so at the moment...and Liverpool have spent nigh of £100m in 6 months of fairly average players (Suarez apart).

However, W*nger must pull his finger out and actually look at what in his team needs improving.  There is no question they need a quality 'keeper and at least one if not two quality centre-halves.  The rest of the team doesnt need much tinkering.  Gibbs and Sagna are excellent full backs, if they can keep hold of Nasri their tappy-tappy midfield is second to none and they've gone out and bought someone in Gervinho who can play at a lone striker with Van Persie just behind.  I'm expecting better things from them this year (unfortunately).
  • Trying to find where someone said they didn't granpa

Sorry tangoflash, Shay...given to Villa, very bad joke.

Why does Arsene insist on buying French/Africans with silly hairstyles?
  • Arsenal have won as much as us in the last 5-6 years.

Yet their fans are still as arrogant as ever. No class

• Szchesney (you know who I mean) will be a class keeper, has the Joe Hart confidence about him and is capable of world class saves, like many will make errors and looking at last season, they will mainly be with judgement but not sure if Arsenal is the right club for him if they are serious about challenging for the big honours, am very surprised Wenger hasn't signed a keeper but then he has not signed a CB yet and that is just as much a priority.

Given is an excellent keeper, more than capable of another 4 years plus at the top level and will be a fine asset to Villa. Can see him retiring from international football after the next qualifying stage is over (or Euro 2012 if they qualify) which will also benefit his club career.

On another keeper note, interested to see whether Friedel wll be number 1 at Spurs, imho better than Gomes and another keeper who could have gone to Arsenal and walked into their team.

• edited July 2011

On another keeper note, interested to see whether Friedel wll be number 1 at Spurs, imho better than Gomes and another keeper who could have gone to Arsenal and walked into their team.

I think Friedel is definitely past his best. Looked a lot worse last season than the year before.

Arsenal should've gone all out to get Pepe Reina last summer after Liverpool finished 7th the year before. He probably won't want to leave Liverpool now.