Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A 38 team league proposed

Given the impossible predicament of River Plate having now to play in the second division for the first time in Argentina's football history, a solution has been found:
Just merge the second division with the first division.
It beggars belief (if you're not familiar with the country).

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/27072011/58/argentina-propose-38-team-top-flight.html

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Absolutely hilarious and even for the AFA this is almost beyond belief.

Good job they are one of the most respected associations within FIFA or there may be an issue getting it off the ground lol
  • Options
    I'm not that familiar with Argentinian football but am I right that promotions and relegations are based on a 3 season average? Was it just so the big teams (in theory) wouldn't be relegated on the back of a bad season? Seems absolutely crazy to me but then I guess it suits that country perfectly
  • Options
    I'm not that familiar with Argentinian football but am I right that promotions and relegations are based on a 3 season average? Was it just so the big teams (in theory) wouldn't be relegated on the back of a bad season? Seems absolutely crazy to me but then I guess it suits that country perfectly
    Why? Know many Argentinians, do you?
  • Options
    It wasn't a dig Leroy, but from stories I've read about the footballers from that country most appear to be absolute lunatics. Don't get me wrong not saying its a bad thing as such, provides great entertainment to me. 
  • Options
    Re-reading it, I realise that sounded a bit harsh. I'm just a bit miffed at people reading/repeating verbatim what they hear about a coun try/it's people without actually knolwing anyone from there. I've met more than a few Argentinians in my work over the years - great people, amazing sense of humour, with a better work ethic than most English people I know. The odd twat here and there, but in the main, much better to deal with than a lot of Spaniards (as depressing as it is for me to admit that).
  • Options
    Perhaps many of you aren't aware that there are two Argentinian football league seasons every year.

In Argentina, a "season" is usually only 19 matches and they have two of
    them every year - an Apertura, or opening season and a Clausura, or
    closing season...

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/WorldLeaguesArgentina.html

...so in fact, enlarging the league to accomodate 38 teams would mean that there would actually be less games played in a year that there are with the present system.

• Options
    How would that work THFC?  Surely two 19 match seasons would only come to 38 (unless the 38 teams would only play each other once)
  • Options
    A38 team league?  Exeter, Taunton, Bristol, Yeovil, not much of a league.
  • Options
    How would that work THFC?  Surely two 19 match seasons would only come to 38 (unless the 38 teams would only play each other once)
    Yes, in Argentina the teams only play each other once during a "season".

The reverse fixture is played in the second "season" of the year.

• Options
    The promotion / relegation system was brought in, as I understand it, due to the number of players that leave teams for Europe. Teams would often lose a couple of their star players and have a bad season as a consequence. The average over previous seasons helps reduce the pain of these one-off bad seasons.

It is often said that this benefits the big clubs but allegedly the opposite is true. Don't ask me how but I read about it a few months ago and it was complicated.

Finally, my wife told me today that this will not go ahead. She said the President (who she always says is an idiot) wanted this to happen (in order to help River Plate one assumes) but over the last few days supporters of all clubs (except River?) have been protesting. I'm quite impressed that they have managed to exert an influence. River & Boca are the equivalents of Murdoch in Argentina.

Finally, I have to add that River getting relegated is the equivalent of Arsenal, Everton and Man Utd doing so together in England. The country would have come to a standstill if they didn't have the season average system as at least with this system you've got time to prepare for it ;-
    And meanwhile Uruguay win the Copathingy - ooooops
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't fret, i found it funny. ;-)
  • Options
    don't forget Mansfield, Derby, Birmingham and Burton. Still not much of a league
  • Options
    don't forget Mansfield, Derby, Birmingham and Burton. Still not much of a league
    Alright, don't milk it. Wasn't that funny. ;-)
  • Options
    Is that not then two leagues A38 South and A38 North.
  • Options
    Is that not then two leagues A38 South and A38 North.
    Go make you comments on the 'A38 League Proposed' thread.