Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Laws not O'Driscoll to Burnley

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/burnley/8454402.stm

Being hotly tipped by the BBC.

Curbs to Doncaster?

Comments

• Options
    Doncaster were the best footballing side at the Valley last season, fact.
  • Options
    What JT said!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Doncaster were the best footballing side at the Valley last season, fact.

Totally agree with this and I'm pleased to see O'Driscoll get the job and can see why Burnley have gone for him as they played some good football under Coyle. I used to go and see Bournemouth play when O'Driscoll was manager there and they always played good football and there best player back then was Wade Elliot who is now at Burnley. Warnock has been linked with the Doncaster job, can't see Curbs going there.
  • Options
    I think O'Driscoll is an excellant manager. It's also nice to see someone who isn't a big name ex-player, but a manager who has worked their way up the leagues, given a chance at a Premiership club albeit a small one.
  • Options
    Good move by Burnley ...... they've brought in a manager that will steadily improve the side regardless of whether they stay up this season in the Prem.

And if they should go down with their share of the TV money, he's in a great position to develop the club.
    Burnley's biggest problem is their relatively remote position geographically, and low population catchment area.
  • Options
    In my opinion Burnley have just secured the services of the best football manager in the football league. It also presents a chance for Warnock to join a bigger club
  • Options
    Pleased for him because Donny were excellent last season.

Fully expect them to freefall now and Burnley to play more good stuff.

Also fully expect Bolton to get relegated too - their cloggers won't be able to play the Owen Coyle way
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Pleased for him because Donny were excellent last season.

Also fully expect Bolton to get relegated too - their cloggers won't be able to play the Owen Coyle way[/quote]

Thing is about 4 years back, Colchester were the best footballing team IMO outside the Prem and outplayed Chelsea at the bridge (again IMO) in the FA Cup

Who was there manager????????
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Pleased for him because Donny were excellent last season.

Also fully expect Bolton to get relegated too - their cloggers won't be able to play the Owen Coyle way

Thing is about 4 years back, Colchester were the best footballing team IMO outside the Prem and outplayed Chelsea at the bridge (again IMO) in the FA Cup

Yeah but we have to sack him if we finish 3rd . ; )
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Thing is about 4 years back, Colchester were the best footballing team IMO outside the Prem and outplayed Chelsea at the bridge (again IMO) in the FA Cup

Parky's moment of glory, almost:
    Linky: Parky interview

Edit: players with a Charlton connection that day - Big Chris Iwelumo, Greg Halford, Kemi Izzet (on the bench)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I remember Colchester playing really well that day and looked they really shook Chelski in the first half and just couldn't keep it up for 90 minutes. I wonder what would have happened had we been able to speak to Parky after Curbs left.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Doncaster were the best footballing side at the Valley last season, fact.

They played us off the park at their place also. How we got 3 points, I will never know.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]

They played us off the park at their place also. How we got 3 points, I will never know.

Because we had Pardew as manager.
    And Andy Grey up front ...?
  • Options
    The BBC are now saying that Brian Laws the former Sheff Wed boss is looking the favorite to get the Burnley job, bit of a strange one that if you ask me.
  • Options
    all I know is that Laws used to play for Burnley and if I remember correctly they were interested in him when he was at Scunthorpe. Still, not exactly big name
  • Options
    Ah, there are 11 Laws of the game. Which one is going to Burnley ....?
  • Options
    I would love to see us play like Doncaster played at the Valley last season, a team put together and coached by O'Driscoll for a total cost of, what, £300k? Even if Doncaster are not destined to win the league, at least you see good football nearly all the time.
  • Options
    Brian Laws to take over now because Burnley couldn't agree compensation with Doncaster for O'Driscoll. Shame. It means Palace won't lose Warnock now.
  • Options
    Brian Laws has been named as their new manager. Bet their fans are chuffed with that. Just sacked from one club for not being good enough, now walks into a premier league job.

I'm off to lump on Burnley to go down now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Brian Laws has been named as their new manager. Bet their fans are chuffed with that. Just sacked from one club for not being good enough, now walks into a premier league job.

I'm off to lump on Burnley to go down now.

Bizarre appointment IMO

Never been impressed with him or his style of play
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had to laugh, on Wikipedia it says:

"There have been recent rumours with regards to Laws sexual preference, he is rumored to have dated Man CIty assistant manager Brian Kidd while managing Sheffield Wednesday. Although these rumors have been strenuously denied of late."
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Brian-Laws-001.jpg

brian-kidd--$10846$300.jpg

They're the same person aren't they?
  • Options
    Still only evens for relegation. I'm going to bet £4400 on it.
  • Options
    Idiots!
  • Options
    two things - how much were Doncaster demanding as compo ? A Manager takes you up, to Wembley, keeps you in the Championship and then when he can better himself you stand in his way ? Poor show imo. Secondly, fair play to O'Driscoll on not then walking out on them, can't see him signing a new contract though !!

Lastly, Brian Laws ? LOL.
  • Options
    Terrible decision, they'd been better off going with Coppell or Southgate.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Terrible decision, they'd been better off going with Coppell or Southgate.

Maybe they did, but they and/or others turned the job down.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Had to laugh, on Wikipedia it says:

"There have been recent rumours with regards to Laws sexual preference, he is rumored to have dated Man CIty assistant manager Brian Kidd while managing Sheffield Wednesday. Although these rumors have been strenuously denied of late."[/quote]

urrgh dont, that is on a par with gordon brown and david mellor having an affair
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]Still only evens for relegation. I'm going to bet £4400 on it.
    I'm unsure as whether to bet or not...
    If it was 2.50 I'd probably go for it. 1.90 doesn't seem like quite good enough odds for me. With Portsmouth probably odds on to go down, it leaves two from Hull, West Ham, Wolves, Burnley, Wigan and Bolton...
  • Options
    Bit of a left field appointment that one isn't it? Actually, I don't think he's that bad a manager, did well at Scunthorpe (laid the foundations that Adkins has built on) and di oaky at Sheff Weds under less than favourable circumstances.

Whether he's good enough to keep Burnley up is another matter, and you'd have thought they could have got someone with a slightly more stand-out CV but all the same, that doesn't mean he'll be a disaster. Maybe Burnely have appointed a man they felt was the right man for them, not just the best known name available to them.