Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wayne Rooney's goal today

13»

Comments

• Options
    Was a great goal but there have been better overhead kicks- Sinclair's is the best imho.

Anyone remember in 2004, last minute away at Arsenal, JJ had an overhead kick from just outside the box and it hit the post or Lehmann saved? That would have been an amazing goal.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Was a great goal but there have been better overhead kicks- Sinclair's is the best imho.

Anyone remember in 2004, last minute away at Arsenal, JJ had an overhead kick from just outside the box and it hit the post or Lehmann saved? That would have been an amazing goal.

Yeh I remember that JJ overhead - only he would've attempted an overhead kick from there, but then again he was better at overhead kicks than normal shots.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Have been discussing this in the office. Definitely a shinner for me, just as RVP was against us was when the media came over all unneccessary. As per usual it's the armchair fans claiming it's the best goal they've ever seen, blah, blah, blah...but when asked whether it's even better than Sinclair's overhead kick or Van Baston's all you get back is blank looks.

I hate the way the media have their favourites like Rooney and the influence they wield.
  • Options
    Don't really understand why him shinning it makes any difference to the quality of the goal. Both van Persie and Rooney intended to smash the ball in the top corner and that's exactly where it went.

I do agree that van Basten and Sinclair's were better, but that's not because they didn't shin it in.
  • Options
    a shinner?! lol

he hit it on the curve of his foot where it meets the ankle...just below the shin. perfect when executing an overhead kick.
  • Options
    You could argue that the keeper was well off his line with Sinclair's goal but I doubt he would have got to it even if he were on the line. The media went crazy about that goal I recall and it was covered over and over on the news. I disagree that because it's Rooney he gets all the attention. Di Canio's volley was brilliant too and the media jumped all over that goal. If there's a goal worthy of applause by footballing people including opposing fans then why not show it over and over again. Yep, he may have shined it but his instep on his right boot also helped the ball travel in the right direction otherwise I'm certain it would have gone skywards. I'm more than happy to big up a fellow countryman who has scored a spectacular goal. Fed up hearing about Messi and co.
  • Options
    Whats all the fuss about? We've all done this over the rec'