Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

98 play off final

edited May 2012 in General Charlton
just been watching it on youtube. just wondering how many charlton fans were at the game.

i was too young to remember this at the time

for those who went, how did you find it. dont think i could have coped!!

Comments

• Options
    I was 10, and was there with my dad.

The only things i can actually remember is going to the loo on the way there and being charged 20p to get into the lavs!
    The fireworks going off after we won, and seeing some crying sunderland fans on the way home on the coach.

Mind you, i've seen the goals a fair few times since that day and it's still bloody brilliant!!
  • Options
    the technique by mendonca for the first goal was immense
  • Options
    cheers WSS
  • Options
    Great to read some of the posts in that thread. I was there, but being just 9 at the time I can't exactly remember it!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I was 10 but oddly i remember a hell of alot of that day. i remember the train up there. I remember most of that match. i remember the penalties clearly, when most of the people around me couldn’t bare to watch so when I cheered they cheered. then after the match I remember the pub and the Sunderland supporters we met afterwards. I remember singing valley Floyd road on borough high street.

great day. one of the best of my charlton supporting life, if not the best.
  • Options
    And you HAVE to listen to this:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/753709-98-playoff-final-goal-montage?utm_campaign=detailpage&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=email
    Just listened to that. Had the hairs on the back of my neck standing to attention. As far as football goes, the best day out of my life that will probably never be topped...............
  • Options
    Looking back I don't know how I coped
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was only 2 at the time so I wasn't there but if I could turn back time I would defiantly go and watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHFkFqVcFGo
  • Options
    Mark Mansfield and Colin Powell are the commentators.
  • Options
    I was at the game. Flew over from California. Flew back the day after. Had all my Charlton gear on and British Airways upgraded me to first class and dished out a bottle of champagne. Classy.

What a day.

The audio link above is phenomenal. I have the whole game on cassette and it was this that kept me going through the dark days of a couple of years ago. Colin Powell was a nervous wreck.

Mark Mansfield certainly had a way with words....

4-4. Jones' cross, Mendonca's volley and Charlton, back from the dead again. Classic.
  • Options
    Pretty sure the game wasn't televised in the US (anything beyond the World Cup/Euros/EPL/Champions League wasn't broadcast at the time). Had never heard of the club before, only found out about it weeks later when looking at Squeeze's official website and they had a picture of Illic making the final save. I had no interest in doing what many Americans had done - hop on the Man Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal bandwagon. So I hopped on the Addick bandwagon instead. :)

There's a 15-minute clip available as the last track on the Red Red Robin CD. As Rob says, it's great.

Bought the DVD when I was in London. Would love to watch the pre- and post-match coverage. (Maybe the club will release an expanded version for a future anniversary?)
  • Options
    I was there with my mum and I must have been about 8 or 9 so don't remember much of it. Remember Mendonca's turn for his first goal and thinking how amazing it was. Also recorded the game on TV and watched it back to find a close up of me and my mum!
  • Options
    was too young for it, but my dad drove all the way from where we were staying on holiday in norfolk to go to wembley. Spent the time kicking a football around in a charlton shirt, hearing some other bastard kid saying really loudly so that i could hear that "Charlton have let in ANOTHER goal!". In the days before mobile phones so had to wait til the news to see if we'd won!
  • Options
    They did have mobile phones in those days - it wasn't the dark ages. They didn't play games or go on the internet but most people had one.
  • Options
    I remember the coverage being very Sunderland them being sad or happy depending on who had scored, we werent actually there.... :)
  • Options
    I was there, 16 at the time. My dad passed super clive his boy as the players walked down the steps. went to the players doo in the filming studios after too
  • Options
    I was there and remember it as the biggest emotional rollercoaster of my life. The tension was incredible. I pretty much lost my voice from all the singing, shouting and cheering and very nearly had a heart attack during the penalties but what a day! To cap it all we bumped into Mark Kinsella on the way out and he had the trophy with him which he promptly handed to my mate to hold so he could sign his programme for him. Top fella, top match, top day!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Greatest day of my life so far.
  • Options
    Greatest sporting moment of my life, nothing will ever be able to touch it. I went to the Valley for the first time the year before and had been a regular all through that spring, could never have imagined how the season would culminate.

The clearest memory for me is Richard Rufus rising to score and force extra time, pure delirium when that goal went in. I still have my framed ticket and programme in the house somewhere, and a photo of that iconic image of Sasa jumping for joy in front of the team. Wonderful memories.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I was there ... a wonderful game won by a wonderful collection of players and coaches. The thing is, I just KNEW from the start of that season, just like this last one, that Charlton would get promoted, although I didn't expect such a fantastic climax to the campaign
  • Options
    I was 14, got a coach from eltham with my grandad (who passed away last year). Great memories with him and an unreal experience that surely won't be topped.
  • Options
    Mendonca's 3rd goal was world class!

I had to work that day at a site with no Internet and
    I had to wait until I got home for the result!
  • Options
    big haired 20 year old student at time

Got stoned in wembley toilets

Hugged strangers when we won... Including one dude who was well into his nineties

Mutual clapping with sunderland supporterd afterwards

Wish id sat with rob and family... But then... It was kinda fun to be isolated while surrounded by charlton brethren ;)
  • Options
    It was a great day. Great point about being drained- I can't remember ever being more drained after WATCHING a football match.
  • Options
    I remember the train back from Wembley,it was so quiet. We just sat there dumbfounded by the enormity of what we had just seen,utterly spent both physically & emotionally.

The greatest game of football I have ever seen.
  • Options
    And you HAVE to listen to this:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/753709-98-playoff-final-goal-montage?utm_campaign=detailpage&utm_content=retweet&utm_medium=social&utm_source=email
    Just listened to that. Had the hairs on the back of my neck standing to attention. As far as football goes, the best day out of my life that will probably never be topped...............
    Yes! I can't ever see it being topped.

Walking out of the stadium at the end, the fireworks and the razzmatazz over, just an eerie silence as we walked down Wembley way, broken occasionally by deferential clapping of Sunderland supporters as they clapped us from the coach seats. Men, women, boys and girls in a kind of collective shock at what we had witnessed, alone with their thoughts. It was the sheer gut-wrenching brutality of the penalty shoot out after an unbelievable game which ebbed and flowed like no other that had left us silent. Somebody had to win and somebody had to lose. We were going home in dreamland yet they applauded us. I shall never forget that.

Football was the winner that day.

It is the greatest game and that was the greatest game - for me anyway.
  • Options
    I was only 8. I remember going to the park with my dad with it on the radio. Coming back from the park, game was still going, having dinner, game was still going, finishing dinner and game was still going. Every now and again get the DVD out and just journey back. A great day in the history of the club!