Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Proud Valiants - Charlton's first LGBT Group

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

I do genuinely wonder why, when someone sets up a group or initiative to support or celebrate one section of the community, people from outside that group feel compelled to ask the "what about me, what about my type of person?" question.

Is anybody 'outside' the group?
  • Options
    Human nature
  • Options
    timken said:

I assume as their official title is PROUD valiants they will be posting photos of their members[faces!] so they can be individually congratulated as they arrive at the first home game.
    Or will they actually form a secret society within the ground with signals to each other so as they can recognise each other but not be recognised.
    Whilst the chap who was banned was rather unsophisticated in making his point he did have some merit in his arguement in that there is no
    a]christian addicks group
    b]single lonely heterosexual valiants group
    c].....oh I think you get the idea.

But there is nothing to stop anyone forming any of those groups. In fact, I'm incredibly keen on being a founder member of c] as it sounds rather intriguing. Anybody else care to join me?
  • Options
    Stig said:

I do genuinely wonder why, when someone sets up a group or initiative to support or celebrate one section of the community, people from outside that group feel compelled to ask the "what about me, what about my type of person?" question.

Bit like girls joining the cub scouts, how stupid is that
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

Wow. The attitude of some people.

So I think it's brilliant that we have an LGBTQ+ supporters' group. These people are marginalised in society every day, either through people just offhandedly saying "Oh that's so gay" or "Ah you ponce" or whatever so casually that they don't realise - hey, there are people out there who actually ARE gay, and aren't taking their feelings into account. Endless comparisons have been made, either geographical or regarding the disabled group etc etc - I don't think I need to convince anyone why such a group is necessary for supporters of a non cishet orientation.

Time for a bit of a glossary that I hope can help people understand what this is "all about":

L - Lesbian (women who are sexually attracted to other women)
    G - Gay (men who are sexually attracted to other men)
    B - Bisexual (men or women who are attracted to both genders)
    T - Transexual (a person who has a gender identity that is inconsistent with, or not culturally identified with, their assigned sex at birth: i.e. their psychological gender is not the same as their birth sex)

Q - Queer. Now, this is a catch-all term used by people who aren't cisgender (men who identify as men, women who identify as women, the opposite of transgender) to identify as not cisgender. So this encompasses LGBT people, as well as a variety of other gender identities/sexualities/etc that I'll do my absolute best to identify, but I'm no expert (though maybe compared to the average CL reader I'll know a bit).

+ - That's a plus sign. It means anyone else within these groups who doesn't necessarily want to identify as anything of the above. Can also mean an ally - that is to say, a cisgender person (like me) who's supportive of their rights and cause etc.

Let's try and get on to a few other terms.

Non-binary/genderqueer - this is a catch-all term for gender identities that are not exclusively masculine or feminine
    Transvestite - a person who dresses in a manner commonly societally associated with the opposite sex. Not to be confused with transsexuality or transgenderism.
    Asexual - someone not interested in sex (i.e. feels no sexual attraction whatsoever). This is distinct from celibacy (choosing not to have sex).
    Androgyny - a general term for a combination of male and female characteristics.

Phew. That's a lot of stuff. And it barely scratches the surface of the LGBTQ+ community.

If, in setting up a supporters' group that caters to people who identify within the LGBTQ+ community, the club is able to educate (and be educated) on such matters so that there's a better understanding of the myriad struggles that these people go through, and indeed hopefully eradicate prejudice, then that's a good thing. A very good thing indeed.

TL;DR short glossary of terms relating to LGBTQ+ people. Feel free to correct me.

I'm still a bit lost. I declare myself a non bianry csigender intersexer.

Can you answer this situation? At the first game of the season at the valley, if I use the woman's toilets, what would happen?
    Would I be congratulated for asserting my gender/sexuality thing
    Or would I be thrown out by security and banned?
    If you light up a cigarette, nothing.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

So I think it's brilliant that we have an LGBTQ+ supporters' group. These people are marginalised in society every day, either through people just offhandedly saying "Oh that's so gay" or "Ah you ponce" or whatever so casually that they don't realise - hey, there are people out there who actually ARE gay, and aren't taking their feelings into account. Endless comparisons have been made, either geographical or regarding the disabled group etc etc - I don't think I need to convince anyone why such a group is necessary for supporters of a non cishet orientation.

Time for a bit of a glossary that I hope can help people understand what this is "all about":

T - Transexual (a person who has a gender identity that is inconsistent with, or not culturally identified with, their assigned sex at birth: i.e. their psychological gender is not the same as their birth sex)

Q - Queer. Now, this is a catch-all term used by people who aren't cisgender (men who identify as men, women who identify as women, the opposite of transgender) to identify as not cisgender. So this encompasses LGBT people, as well as a variety of other gender identities/sexualities/etc that I'll do my absolute best to identify, but I'm no expert (though maybe compared to the average CL reader I'll know a bit).

+ - That's a plus sign. It means anyone else within these groups who doesn't necessarily want to identify as anything of the above. Can also mean an ally - that is to say, a cisgender person (like me) who's supportive of their rights and cause etc.

Non-binary/genderqueer - this is a catch-all term for gender identities that are not exclusively masculine or feminine
    Transvestite - a person who dresses in a manner commonly societally associated with the opposite sex. Not to be confused with transsexuality or transgenderism.
    Asexual - someone not interested in sex (i.e. feels no sexual attraction whatsoever). This is distinct from celibacy (choosing not to have sex).
    Androgyny - a general term for a combination of male and female characteristics.

Phew. That's a lot of stuff. And it barely scratches the surface of the LGBTQ+ community.

If, in setting up a supporters' group that caters to people who identify within the LGBTQ+ community, the club is able to educate (and be educated) on such matters so that there's a better understanding of the myriad struggles that these people go through, and indeed hopefully eradicate prejudice, then that's a good thing. A very good thing indeed.

TL;DR short glossary of terms relating to LGBTQ+ people. Feel free to correct me.

Can you answer this situation? At the first game of the season at the valley, if I use the woman's toilets, what would happen?
    If they through you out you could take legal action, that would be discrimination

If someone identifies as a certain gender or genderless then they can use any toilet they feel neesesery
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    If you decide you no longer feel male or don't feel like you have a particular gender role and you feel like the ladies toilet is best suited and helps with dysthoria

Then yeah pretty much
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

PaddyP17 said:

If they through you out you could take legal action, that would be discrimination

If someone identifies as a certain gender or genderless then they can use any toilet they feel neesesery
    So just to confirm. I can use any khazi I like. There's sweet FA security can do, the new LGBTIQ+ group will back me up and I won't be regarded as a dirty old perv?

All hail the age of equality
    You gotta be in there for the legit reason of spending a penny or having a smoke though Smudge, if you're caught sniffing the rims of the pans, you're out!
  • Options
    But it'll give you away if you're in the ladies knocking one out at half time smudge
  • Options

I do always genuinely wonder what the response would be if someone wanted to create a say 'English, White and Proud' Charlton supporters group??

Would it be accepted in the way this group rightly is by the majority of people or would there be a negative OTT response to what is a legitimate reason on the face of it for creating a group? And before someone says 'Well go and create one if thats what you want" - well thats not the point at all really. I'm just interested in how certain people get offended at certain things and can be quite hypocrytical on these matters? And I beleive the police attention for one would be all over the aforementioned group.

None of this makes sense. It would seem to me that you have missed the whole point of why these groups exist. What would be the need for the 'English, White and Proud' group?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

I do always genuinely wonder what the response would be if someone wanted to create a say 'English, White and Proud' Charlton supporters group??

Would it be accepted in the way this group rightly is by the majority of people or would there be a negative OTT response to what is a legitimate reason on the face of it for creating a group? And before someone says 'Well go and create one if thats what you want" - well thats not the point at all really. I'm just interested in how certain people get offended at certain things and can be quite hypocrytical on these matters? And I beleive the police attention for one would be all over the aforementioned group.

None of this makes sense. It would seem to me that you have missed the whole point of why these groups exist. What would be the need for the 'English, White and Proud' group?
    Makes perfect sense, I believe the point he's trying to make is that should there be a group created called "english white and proud" there would be uproar.
  • Options

PaddyP17 said:

I'm an advocate of unisex toilets personally, but in answer to your question: Do you have friends/family/potentially documentation or certification that would, in the event you decide to make a legal challenge should you do this and be kicked out/banned, support your gender identity as being a (presumably pre-op) male-to-female transexual? If so then fair enough, you have a case for discrimination, but somehow I doubt that you have any "evidence" suggesting you're female...
  • Options

timken said:

I assume as their official title is PROUD valiants they will be posting photos of their members[faces!] so they can be individually congratulated as they arrive at the first home game.
    Or will they actually form a secret society within the ground with signals to each other so as they can recognise each other but not be recognised.
    Whilst the chap who was banned was rather unsophisticated in making his point he did have some merit in his arguement in that there is no
    a]christian addicks group
    b]single lonely heterosexual valiants group
    c].....oh I think you get the idea.

Go for it, single heterosexuals have really had to go through hard times in modern society I'm sure loads of people will sign up to get their problems across.

Why do some twats assume that because somebody is gay, they are overly camp or would make some secret codesign of some sort, some people like you really don't make sence, you could look at the hardest tallest most masculine guy in the north upper, he could still be not straight unless you personly know him and his life style,

Dont judge a book by its cover, I know some REALLY CAMP guys who are as straight as anything

This was the point I was driving at earlier. A "masculine/non camp" gay bloke is not going to have anything much in common with a transvestite or transgender person so why lump them all in together? It is potentially insulting to assume (if that be the case) that there is some underlying common sexual attraction between these different minorities and absent that, why are they all lumped together?
  • Options

PopIcon said:

Makes perfect sense, I believe the point he's trying to make is that should there be a group created called "english white and proud" there would be uproar.
    What would the sense and reason for the 'english white and proud' group be?

• Options

This is becoming the silly season,
    Does anyone know of a Transgender person who goes to CAFC ?

I regularly sit with a transgender person at The Valley (10 or so games last season).

(I also met a high-profile transgender activist in the Rose of Denmark before the Norwich game but she's a Norwich fan, so not what you were talking about).

I personally think The Valley should be welcoming to all. Any group can self-organise as Charlton fans if they see a need: Conservatives have been mentioned, as have heterosexuals. Personally, as a heterosexual, I feel no need to be in a group that proclaims this because I don't have my identity as a heterosexual Charlton fan regularly questioned or assumed by others not to exist. But if others do, there's nothing to stop them setting up such a group.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just out of interest has anyone here been involved, or know anyone who has been involved, in the formation of this group ?
  • Options
    can we all just not get along, jeesus roll on season starting

• Options
    brogib said:

Stig said:

Bit like girls joining the cub scouts, how stupid is that
    It's not stupid at all.
    Plenty of girls have joined the cub pack I help lead because they want something they feel is preferable to being in the Brownies.
  • Options
    Good on 'em. And good on the club for telling that arsehole to do one.

I know it's easy to prefer a simple life with no hassle. But we're a club that's always been proud of our community links. A little skirmish with a small-minded fool is better than being seen to tolerate that kind of crap.
  • Options
    How many members does this group have ?