Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

'Refugees welcome' banners at German football matches/The Valley

Did anyone else find this pretty inspiring over the weekend, in the context of the horrible scenes across Europe? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11834636/German-football-fans-welcome-refugees-and-invite-hundreds-to-watch-match.html

Next Saturday, there has been called a national day of action in the UK to welcome refugees and protest against the disgraceful response of the UK government in not accepting its fair share of responsibility. The organisers have suggested - among other things - that British football fans take a leaf out of the Germans' book. https://www.facebook.com/events/1629390697300657/

Anyone else think it would be great to see something like this at the Valley for the Rotherham game?

Comments

• Options
    Same type of banner at Kingstonian last monday during their game against the hipsters from Dulwich.
  • Options
    'goes and gets lunch to sit back and relax'
  • Options

Did anyone else find this pretty inspiring over the weekend, in the context of the horrible scenes across Europe? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11834636/German-football-fans-welcome-refugees-and-invite-hundreds-to-watch-match.html

Next Saturday, there has been called a national day of action in the UK to welcome refugees and protest against the disgraceful response of the UK government in not accepting its fair share of responsibility. The organisers have suggested - among other things - that British football fans take a leaf out of the Germans' book. https://www.facebook.com/events/1629390697300657/

Anyone else think it would be great to see something like this at the Valley for the Rotherham game?

i am for football not "political footballs"

• Options
    se9addick said:

If the refugees are so desperate, why do they pass through safe countries to get to the UK?

The vast, vast, vast majority don't. Educate yourself.
    Of course they do. You have to cross the whole of Europe to get to the UK.

We should take in more than we currently do, however.
  • Options
    To make it easier for people to raise that alarm

**PRESS HERE**

; )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2015

se9addick said:

If the refugees are so desperate, why do they pass through safe countries to get to the UK?

Not a majority but some, even then in a lot of cases, countries just ship them through to the next country so they can say they did accept them...
  • Options

se9addick said:

Trust me "the vast, vast, vast majority" of refugees do not "pass through safe countries to get to the UK".
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    brogib said:

To make it easier for people to raise that alarm

**PRESS HERE**

; )

Good to see the Guardian of the A.A thread is here.

He is not sticking his head in the sand, though he may be showing ignorance to the threads actual conversational topic (I could be wrong).

I'm glad he's come here rather than left this thread to boil without mention.
  • Options

Refugees from Syria =\= immigrants, whether illegal or otherwise.

They are fleeing torture, enslavement and brutal death. We should take them with open arms. If we don't have the money or school places then tbh they really needed investment in the first place!

It's not about them wanting to come to the UK, they want to go anywhere safe whether it's Liverpool or Latvia. We can't just let Greece deal with it, we need to all shoulder this responsibility.

agree but I think there needs to be an agreement on repatriation when the situation in their countries improves. If they are fleeing the current situation/regime then one can assume that they are happy there otherwise so when that situation/regime changes/improves one can surely assume that the people will be happy to return. I'm not just speaking as this being a British policy but a Europe-wide policy. This can actually in the long term assist countries like Syria as their peoples will return with better education, new skills etc and so eventually build a better Syria. In the meantime we, the EU, the rest of the World, need to work to ensure positive change in countries like Syria and if that means taking on ISIS militarily then so be it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If you want a banner then best that you make one yourself and take it to the game.

Asking on here will just produce the same old same old.
  • Options
    I give this 2 pages.
  • Options

If you want a banner then best that you make one yourself and take it to the game.

Asking on here will just produce the same old same old.

And make sure it has a fire resistant label on it.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I'm not confusing refugees with immigrants, legal or otherwise.

I feel desperately sorry for those escaping the horrors in the middle east. I'm just making the point that the UK is not the first safe place these people will hit. If the UK just lets them all in then we'll find hundreds of thousands going through Europe just to be here. The refugees sitting in Calais have made a conscious decision not to seek asylum at the first place they hit.

The only reason there seems to be some hostility in the UK about taking in these refugees is that the Labour and subsequent Conservative government have made a total pigs ear of controlling immigration into the UK that people now lump the two together. I think if we left the EU and had proper border controls, people would feel differently about all this.

But as I said before, we should take in a controlled number of refugees. We're lucky in this country that war is a distant thought.

I don't think you understand, this isn't about the wider issue of illegal immigration (people moving through Europe to get here) these are thousands upon thousands upon thousands fleeing a country absolutely anyway they can. It's not opening our borders, it's taking our share along with the rest of the European community rather than leaving them to starve in some camp that may or may not eventually get caught up by ISIS, the people who they've wanted to flee.

I'm definitely pro immigration control, I think the Tories have done a terrible job bringing net immigration down. However this isn't about people wanting to come here to claim benefits. This is about people not wanting to be raped and killed by a regime that wants us all to be dead. They don't care where they go as long as it's somewhere safe.
    You're telling me I'm confused about something that I cleared up in my post. One set are (il)legal immigrants, others are escaping a war torn country and want somewhere safe to live.
  • Options

Suppose the type of scenario I think you're talking about. Someone leaves Syria, goes to Turkey, gets on a boat to Greece, crosses over the barbed wire/tear gas to Macedonia and then Serbia before dodging the fence and border guards into Hungary, before eventually (after a long wait/protests in Budapest), transferring to Austria and then on through Germany and France to the UK. This is an extremely rare scenario, but I'm sure there might be a few who do this.

Which is the first safe country they arrived into?
  • Options

Refugees from Syria =\= immigrants, whether illegal or otherwise.

They are fleeing torture, enslavement and brutal death. We should take them with open arms. If we don't have the money or school places then tbh they really needed investment in the first place!

It's not about them wanting to come to the UK, they want to go anywhere safe whether it's Liverpool or Latvia. We can't just let Greece deal with it, we need to all shoulder this responsibility.

agree but I think there needs to be an agreement on repatriation when the situation in their countries improves. If they are fleeing the current situation/regime then one can assume that they are happy there otherwise so when that situation/regime changes/improves one can surely assume that the people will be happy to return. I'm not just speaking as this being a British policy but a Europe-wide policy. This can actually in the long term assist countries like Syria as their peoples will return with better education, new skills etc and so eventually build a better Syria. In the meantime we, the EU, the rest of the World, need to work to ensure positive change in countries like Syria and if that means taking on ISIS militarily then so be it.

Yes if the country stabilised and they wanted to return then we should provide all necessary assistance however I don't think forced repatriation is acceptable.
  • Options
    How will they afford a ticket I spose my taxes should contributed to that as well, better just buy them a beer a burger too