Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Claus Jensen

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:

Incredible touch and skill.

Charlton's very own Zinedine Zidane.

You mean Zidane was France's Claus Jensen...

I loved Claus, I remember back then when we lined up against anyone I had no fear that we could get points (except maybe united or arsenal). But new his quality and our work rate would just grind teams.

Now I fear for damage limitation...
  • Options
    Used to love the fans around me who'd constantly moan that Claus wouldnt put a tackle in!!
  • Options
    Tramp said:

Haven't checked, but I thought Di Canio came after Parker & Jenson had left.

Di Canio was defo there with Parker but not sure about Claus although I seem to remember Di Canio coming on for Claus possibly at Portsmouth away.
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

remember going away to bolton in the cup the year before we signed him - we lost and he absolutely ran the show for them - i think they got relegated and we somehow managed to sign him - a brilliant player

Think they stayed down by just missing out on playoffs or losing in play offs.
    Think that's right. Gudjohnsen was there too. Goodness knows how they failed to get promoted from Div 1 with those two in their team. We're nearly signed both but Chelsea nicked Gudjohnsen at the last minute.
    Think they has Gudni Bergsson too. That's some spine to a Championship team.
  • Options

Tramp said:

Di Canio was defo there with Parker but not sure about Claus although I seem to remember Di Canio coming on for Claus possibly at Portsmouth away.
    Remember Di Canio as someone trying to tell Parker not to leave for Chelsea.
  • Options
    I hate this thread as it reminds me of how good that team was and could have been if Parker had stayed.

The arsenal game, Chelsea home game, man city away we played them all off the park.

Now we look forward to scraping a draw with Bury.
  • Options
    One of the best.

I wonder if Pinocchio has heard of him?
  • Options
    What a player.
  • Options

Tramp said:

Remember Di Canio as someone trying to tell Parker not to leave for Chelsea.
    I read in some papers (probably the Sun or Star so take with a pinch of salt) the complete opposite and that Di Canio told him to take the chance.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I have watched Charlton for many years, but I think the season of Claus, Di Canio and Parker was the best Charlton team I ever saw, until Chelsea spoilt it all by taking Parker, I think that was the start of our decline, to the sorry state the club finds it's self in now.
    Claus one of the truly great Charlton players

I think it was when Curbs realised that he coudn't take us further too! What we have to remember is that we weren't just beating sides, but we were BEATING sides. We were a superb team! And it is the lot of being a Charlton fan, that we weren't allowed to see that team over a full season!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A wonderful player. Would be in my all time Charlton 11. Gutted when we sold him to Fulham.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    One of the many good things about Claus was that once he was on the ball it was hard for the opposition to get it off him, which actually made him a good part of the defence. I remember old Hugo telling me once that Denmark were defending a 1-0 nil lead with 20 mins to go, and when their manager was asked why he brought Claus on, he said because he keeps hold of the ball, and if the other team can't get it then we win.
    They won 1-0.
    Claus collecting the ball from just inside our half and running with it was always a sight to get you anticipating something might happen.
    A true touch of class in a red shirt.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong fellas, I loved Claus and thought he was a great player.

But if you read some of these comments you would wonder why we never stormed the Champions League with him pulling the strings. Let's face it, he played for Charlton and was a good player in a good team in a difficult league. But he was no David Batty ....... !
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

remember going away to bolton in the cup the year before we signed him - we lost and he absolutely ran the show for them - i think they got relegated and we somehow managed to sign him - a brilliant player

Think they stayed down by just missing out on playoffs or losing in play offs.
    Think that's right. Gudjohnsen was there too. Goodness knows how they failed to get promoted from Div 1 with those two in their team. We're nearly signed both but Chelsea nicked Gudjohnsen at the last minute.
    Think they has Gudni Bergsson too. That's some spine to a Championship team.
    It's the received wisdom that the quality in the Championship improves every season, but I don't think its necessarily true. In 97/98, for example, we came up against players like Ravenelli, Merson, Van Hoojidonk, Kevin Phillips, Niall Quinn and not to mention having players like Rufus, Kins and Mills ourselves (don't laugh at Mills, he went on to play in a World Cup and a Champions League semi-final). I think it's often understimated what an achievement it was getting out of the division in that season in particular.

Two years later it maybe wasn't quite so strong, but still had the two we already mentioned in it plus players like Kinkladze. There used to be more room for players with a bit of class. The amount of money has increased, but if anything it's just resulted in it getting more win at all costs blood and thunder type football.

When was the last time a player failed to get promoted from the second division but later went on to play for someone of the stature of Barcelona?
  • Options
    3blokes said:

One of the many good things about Claus was that once he was on the ball it was hard for the opposition to get it off him, which actually made him a good part of the defence. I remember old Hugo telling me once that Denmark were defending a 1-0 nil lead with 20 mins to go, and when their manager was asked why he brought Claus on, he said because he keeps hold of the ball, and if the other team can't get it then we win.
    They won 1-0.
    Claus collecting the ball from just inside our half and running with it was always a sight to get you anticipating something might happen.
    A true touch of class in a red shirt.

He didn't tackle, that didn't mean he couldn't defend. Even cautious Curbs would usually leave him on for the full 90 mins. As you say, he kept the ball when he had it, and also made us more of a threat on the break, but he was also tactically disciplined. He kept the team shape and got himself between the ball and our goal and was at least there as nuisance value. Much as I'd have liked him to have been a more aggressive tackler I never found myself getting mad at him like I would with someone like Ambrose who would lose the ball and then just amble about like he had zero defensive responsibilities.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Don't get me wrong fellas, I loved Claus and thought he was a great player.

But if you read some of these comments you would wonder why we never stormed the Champions League with him pulling the strings. Let's face it, he played for Charlton and was a good player in a good team in a difficult league. But he was no David Batty ....... !

I don't think that is fair to be fair :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I could watch that all day!
    I've been watching it over and over for the last hour and I've still not had enough!

Sublime player - oh for those days again.
  • Options
    Fine player.

Totally outplayed us for Bolton in the FA Cup Quarter Final 0-1 and I guess that's what sealed our interest.

Possibly never headed the ball whilst wearing a Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    It' s a sad fact of football supporting life that many people focus all their energy and attention on using player's perceived faults as a stick to beat them with rather than appreciating the talent and enjoyment they bring to the table.
    Why would Claus's tackling and heading even be an issue, it's not what he was bought for.
    But there was barely a game where you didn't hear some mug moaning about him.
    ( And don' t get me started on Rommedahl).
    In 54 years of attending, Claus was one of the highlights.
  • Options
    The clip of the Highbury goal. I think it is not from the Sky footage. Whenever I have watched the Sky footage ( many times) it seemed to me that Claus almost has his back to goal as he shoots. Which made me think that for all its quality, the final shot was a little speculative. But in this clip it is clear that he loooks up at goal and then chips it exquisitely and with absolute precision. Bloody hell.

I watched that game in an Irish pub in Prague. I was the only Charlton fan. I went suitably ballistic. Everyone else was just staring at the screens in open mouthed silence. They literally could not believe what they had just seen, and from such a team. Then Jason ran through for the 4th, and the guy running the betting book handed me my winnings there and then.

I am going to go off and weep a little now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The clip of the Highbury goal. I think it is not from the Sky footage. Whenever I have watched the Sky footage ( many times) it seemed to me that Claus almost has his back to goal as he shoots. Which made me think that for all its quality, the final shot was a little speculative. But in this clip it is clear that he loooks up at goal and then chips it exquisitely and with absolute precision. Bloody hell.

I watched that game in an Irish pub in Prague. I was the only Charlton fan. I went suitably ballistic. Everyone else was just staring at the screens in open mouthed silence. They literally could not believe what they had just seen, and from such a team. Then Jason ran through for the 4th, and the guy running the betting book handed me my winnings there and then.

I am going to go off and weep a little now.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Class. One of my favourite ever players.
    While his goal at Highbury is the one everyone will mention first, I will never forget his last minute goal at The Valley v Blackburn.

THIS!
    And Di canio jumping on the policemans back going mental, what a great atmosphere at the end.
  • Options
    Rolls Royce of a player. Could open a tin of corned beef with that right peg.
  • Options
    Well,that has made us all misty-eyed and emotional.
    Hard to believe where we were and what we have become....
    Claus Jensen easily in my best Charlton eleven.He destroyed us in that game
    at Bolton in the Cup and to then be able to buy him was a fantastic piece of business
    by Curbs and,dare I say,Richard Murray.We had some fantastic midfield talent then.
    And Claus' goal against Arsenal was probably one of the best we'll ever see from a Charlton player.
    Not sure,with all due respect to JJ,Diarra et al,that we are even near to 10% of those midfielders now.
  • Options
    Now we are talking. THE MAGIC MAN.
  • Options

Well,that has made us all misty-eyed and emotional.
    Hard to believe where we were and what we have become....
    Claus Jensen easily in my best Charlton eleven.He destroyed us in that game
    at Bolton in the Cup and to then be able to buy him was a fantastic piece of business
    by Curbs and,dare I say,Richard Murray.We had some fantastic midfield talent then.
    And Claus' goal against Arsenal was probably one of the best we'll ever see from a Charlton player.
    Not sure,with all due respect to JJ,Diarra et al,that we are even near to 10% of those midfielders now.

What really made that goal for me was the quick glance you could clearly see him make before he executed. Pure class!
  • Options
    Great player Claus, I was upset when we sold him to Fulham, never forget the goal at Highbury, we took a very good Arsenal team apart that day.
  • Options
    A brilliant goal, and the quality of the opponents elevates it even more. A poor throw from Ashley Cole and then we stole the ball from Patrick Vieira!