Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Watford FC ‏@WatfordFC 3m3 minutes ago
    More
    UNDER-23: FULL-TIME: #watfordfc 0-2 @CAFCofficial - A goal in each half secures a 2-0 win for top of the table Charlton.
  • Charlton U23s | Mitov, Barnes, Doughty, Triallist, Bowry, Dijksteel, Lapslie, Millar, Yamfam, Ahearne-Grant, Hackett-Fairchild. #cafc

Charlton U23s subs | Beeney, Yao, Maloney, Morgan, Willis. #cafc

Assume trailist is Fox again.

Alex Wills on the bench after scoring a few for the U18s.

Yamfam and Miller back from Dulwich?

KAG back from first team bench.

Recco hat trick

as you previously pointed out to me H, allowed to play for 23's as part of youth loan ?
    quite so, was just wondering if they were still playing the people's republic of Dulwich also
  • What happened to the lad we got from Man City who sounded like he was their captain and played England youth games, was it Assiana? Never seems to be involved.
  • I don't really understand how our U23s/U21s are so dominant, yet our first team is fecking pony
  • CAFCsayer said:

I don't really understand how our U23s/U21s are so dominant, yet our first team is fecking pony

U23's/21's play in L2 I think (or equivalent) and we then stick the "kids" in too early, to compete against men.
  • When you think of the young players out on loan, we are doing very well
  • CAFCsayer said:

I don't really understand how our U23s/U21s are so dominant, yet our first team is fecking pony

We're domimant in cat 2 but that is still good.

We have consistent management, relatively settled teams and tactics and a lot of very good players for the level they play.

Many have and still do go on to do well in men's football as we know.

The problem is the players, coaches and tactics they have have to play with when they move up to the first team.
  • I think the trialest today was Ryan Blumberg a left sided centre back don't take my word for it though !!!
  • FAVADDICK said:

I think the trialest today was Ryan Blumberg a left sided centre back don't take my word for it though !!!

That would fit with what I was told IE he's an Australian lad.
  • Sponsored links:

• If it was Ryan Blumberg. He has an impressive pedigree according to this here.
  • Yes it was Ryan Blumberg on trial for the week, he is a 17 year old Australian lad. Played alongside
    Dan Bowry in the middle of the back four. Second match running for Alfie Doughty a 17 year old left back up from the 18s covering for the injured Archie Edwards, he also had a very good match. Matt Carter is out injured. Next match away to Fulham in the U23 Premier Cup on Friday night at Fulham's training ground Motspur Park kick off 7 p.m. A win from the last two group matches will take us through to the knockout stages.
  • Wouldn't it be good to have a "Charlton way" of playing so teams at all age groups play the same formations with the same plan B and plan C to call upon where necessary? Then players could slot into the first team set up in their preferred position and you would expect a more seamless transition.

Or is that maybe too idealistic?

Our of curiosity do our U18s and U23s play similar formations?
  • HandG said:

Wouldn't it be good to have a "Charlton way" of playing so teams at all age groups play the same formations with the same plan B and plan C to call upon where necessary? Then players could slot into the first team set up in their preferred position and you would expect a more seamless transition.

The academy certainly does, and to a point this links to the first team. However as you say there is always the plan b etc as you play tactically to the opposition. The ethos in the higher age groups is to win games but equally within a learning structure. Most of the time they (academy) play between a diamond and 4 3 3.
  • HandG said:

Wouldn't it be good to have a "Charlton way" of playing so teams at all age groups play the same formations with the same plan B and plan C to call upon where necessary? Then players could slot into the first team set up in their preferred position and you would expect a more seamless transition.

I've read quite a bit about Les Reed and his role at Southampton. They very much have a system where all teams at all age groups play age similar system and they gradually work up to doing the same drills etc in training. Reed's role is about overseeing the whole structure making aureus it's all pulling in the same direction. So brings the academy the first team the scouts the analysis and everything all together. He also does 'continuity planning' which is basically were they to lose the manager or any player at any time he has a list of managers who would come in and play the Southampton way and use the same club philosophy etc. That is how they have been able to (up until this window at least) regularly lose players and managers but continue to compete.
  • HandG said:

This page says the clubs philosophy is to play entertaining and attractive football, and mentions playing 4-4-2 or 4-3-3.

For a while now as said he u18s and u23s played 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2 diamond, and I don't believe that's changed this season.

For it to really work surely you need a director of football or similar to connect the first team to the academy by doing things like ensuring the first team manager has a similar playing style.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/team/youth-academy.aspx
  • http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/charlton-fulham-premier-league-cup-preview-3591814.aspx

Cup game tonight.

They need three points from two remaining games to reach the knock out stage.

Line up worth watching to see if any kids drafted into first team squad for tomorro.
  • If you have CAFC player check out the U18 equalising goal away at Bristol City.
  • edited February 2017
    Charlton Athletic FC‏ @CAFCofficial
    Charlton U23s | Mitov, Barnes (c), Bowry, Blumberg, Doughty, Dijksteel, Lapslie, Millar, Yamfam, Ahearne-Grant, Hackett-fairchild

Charlton Athletic FC‏ @CAFCofficial
    Charlton U23s subs | Maynard-Brewer, Yao, Ndiaye, Maloney, Willis. #cafc
  • edited February 2017
    The Aussie kid Blumberg now named and starts.

If there are to be changed tomorrow they're not coming from the youth team it appears.
  • Sponsored links:

• No obvious omissions for tomorrow.
  • Who's Ndiaye, a trialist?
  • Scoham said:

Who's Ndiaye, a trialist?

He'll make the difference to the squad as night and well...
  • 2-1 down at HT. Fulham have at least one first teamer in their line-up.
  • FulhamFC
    Goal Charlton 0-1
    35' Hackett-Fairchild

Against the run of play Charlton score

The lad does it again. Should have be starting v Bury.
  • We're losing 4-2 now
  • KAG pulled it back to 3 - 2 but then they scored again.

Think was now have to win our last game to go thru.

Thats against bottom of the Group: AFC Wimbledon though

Thats against bottom of the Group: AFC Wimbledon though
    Do you know when?