Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should the Notting Hill Carnival continue in it's present form ?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2016
    should be canned, would also like to see this bunch of fucktards get a beating http://www.planestupid.com/

just closed city airport so that people that work hard cant get to business meetings etc, as thats what most of city aiports traffic is, i have to go there once a month for work. wankers.
  • Options
    I haven't been for a while but an event that over a million people attend is clearly popular enough to continue. It's interesting that the crime rate at Glastonbury is far higher yet gets reported a lot less.
  • Options
    WSS said:

SE9 said:

Let them have it.

There will always be arrests at any major event that attracts those kind of numbers .

Them?
    ????

• Options
    1,000,000 = 100x 10,000
    454 = 100x 4.54
  • Options
    It should be stopped. How on earth an event with guaranteed stabbings is allowed to continue I'll never know.

People saying that it's quite a low ratio versus attendance numbers need to stop and reassess whether they believe one stabbing is one too many.

The closest comparison to this street festival is not a town centre on a Friday night, nor a footie match, it is the annual gay pride event.....only 'stabbings' there are friendly and consensual. (Sorry!)

Let's at least make comparisons to similar events....1000's of people in the streets with music drugs and drinks....then we can decide whether the NHC attracts undue crime.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I haven't been for a while but an event that over a million people attend is clearly popular enough to continue. It's interesting that the crime rate at Glastonbury is far higher yet gets reported a lot less.

Erhh.. 75 arrests vs 454 arrests? That's based upon last year at Glastonbury too, this year the crime rate was even lower. (http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2016/06/24/it-seems-glastonbury-is-on-track-for-its-lowest-ever-crime-rate/)
    Last year, Glastonbury Festival's crime rate was the lowest ever, with just 75 arrests and 246 reported crimes overall.
    Unless you mean per-attendee vs per-event? In which case, once again - the nature of the crimes are different, with Glastonbury being predominantly drug related whilst Notting Hill seems to have bigger violence issues. (By all accounts, drug use is arguably tolerated at Notting Hill if you're not selling and/or doing anything hard)
  • Options
    Just looking at some comparative figures for balance, there were 1,873 arrests during the 14/15 football season, at a rate of 5 per 100,000.

The make up of attendees in the Notting Hill carnival will be significantly higher in the 13 - 30 age range than football attendees though.
  • Options
    SE9 said:

WSS said:

SE9 said:

Let them have it.

There will always be arrests at any major event that attracts those kind of numbers .

Them?
    ????

Just a strange choice of language that's all. Suppose you mean the Caribbean community which is cool.
  • Options

England at the euros under 100 arrests over a 4 week period - branded scum by the country and various celebrities, an embarrassment to the country, front page of every newspaper, all over the news.

notting hill carnival -
    The following is breakdown of the total arrests by offence:

Assault Police - 25
    Psychoactive substances (Nitrous Oxide) - 38
    Criminal Damage - 2
    Public order - 40
    Off Weap / Points & Blades - 90
    Theft Going Equipped - 8
    Drugs - 169
    Sexual Offences - 13
    Robbery - 1
    GBH - 6
    ABH / Common Assault - 17
    Theft Person - 10
    Drink Drive / Drug Drive - 3
    Other - 32

Total: 454 arrests.

a England fan was stabbed in slovakia this weekend, yet hasn't made the headlines because England fans weren't at fault was an unprovoked attack.

It did. Was just amongst all of the other stuff that seemingly went on.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1730401/england-football-fans-arrested-for-drunk-and-violent-behaviour-in-slovakia-as-three-lions-kick-off-world-cup-qualifying-campaign/
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSS said:

SE9 said:

WSS said:

SE9 said:

Let them have it.

Them?
    ????

Just a strange choice of language that's all. Suppose you mean the Caribbean community which is cool.
    Oh ok fair enough.
  • Options

Just looking at some comparative figures for balance, there were 1,873 arrests during the 14/15 football season, at a rate of 5 per 100,000.

The make up of attendees in the Notting Hill carnival will be significantly higher in the 13 - 30 age range than football attendees though.

So for the football analogy, you'd expect 50 arrests? ((1000000/100000) * 5) Whereas Notting Hill thrashes that by 900%.. yet football fans are still the ones that get a bad time.

Or to put it another way, Notting Hill Carnival manages nearly a third of the disorder of an entire football season over one weekend.
  • Options
    Yes, as a proportion Glastonbury has a higher rate of crime. If we go down the route of banning events or items because of the bad behaviour of the minority, there will be very little left. Ask anybody in the emergency services about their dread of Friday and Saturday nights and that's every weekend, not once a year. Should we ban alcohol, therefore?
  • Options
    Cancel it or relocate it to a ticketed location and go from there.

Should reduce stabbings inside the event, those queuing outside may be liable to an old fashioned shivving if they're really unlucky.
  • Options
    edited September 2016

Yes, as a proportion Glastonbury has a higher rate of crime. If we go down the route of banning events or items because of the bad behaviour of the minority, there will be very little left. Ask anybody in the emergency services about their dread of Friday and Saturday nights and that's every weekend, not once a year. Should we ban alcohol, therefore?

Having sat in the Empress Building with pissed off police officers having their hearing tests before Notting Hill Carnival, I can safely say that the dread of Fri/Sat nights comes nowhere close to Notting Hill Carnival. I haven't heard the Met Police Federation kicking off about Fri/Sat nights either, yet they've been very vocal this year after NHC. They've not only likened their officer's duties to that of a human punchbag, they've also noted that NHC is becoming synonymous for violence and something needs to stop.

I've already responded to the point about banning stuff though: would you revoke the license of a venue that consistently has violence and disorder? Yes, it happens by every council in the country on a regular basis. This isn't about banning street-festivals, it's about banning one that has become synonymous for violence in the way that many a pub or club have before they've finally been shut down.

It's just a complete waste of resources and aggro for the locals. Not to mention, any event where people seem to think this is acceptable attire is clearly a bit fucked up:

• Options
    WSS said:

SE9 said:

WSS said:

SE9 said:

Let them have it.

Them?
    ????

Or he could just mean all of those that enjoy it annually.
  • Options
    The major crimes are the violent & sexual ones. Drug figures I'd disregard.

13 sexual offences makes my stomach churn, although I don't know to what extent each offence was.

The assault/poss of weapons could be done any night of the week with some of these gangs, that's the way of life.

Would be interesting to know whether all assault/stabbings were gang on gang or whether innocents were being picked on.

It may be that people not involved in gangs don't get affected by the crime.
  • Options
    Does that make it OK?
  • Options
    By emergency services I'm mainly referring to those in a&e departments that have to deal with the fallout from weekend drinking sessions. For balance you might want to read about the effort people in local schools etc go to to make costumes, practice dance routines, steel drum playing etc. People visit from all over the UK and Europe, it will be a sad day if we ban it because of a few idiots.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2016
    LuckyReds said:

JiMMy 85 said:

454 arrests out of approximately 1,000,000 attendees isn't bad at all.

That's the arrests rather than the incidents. I don't know anything about the carnival but I'm guessing that figure doesn't represent the amount of crimes committed.

If something like that happened at football, it would be all over the front pages, people's addresses printed in the press, people would be going inside for years and so on.

Cos it's Notting hill and you'll be called racist if you say otherwise, it's just described as a good vibe.

Would it? Plenty of incidents occur at football matches without hitting the press. I don't see a connection. The racist thing is just stupid. You daft racist.
    I think @Greenie Junior is pretty much spot on, and it's a comparison I've seen in a few papers to. Any fixture that resulted in that much unrest every year would be played behind closed doors. Obviously very few football matches have 1,000,000 participants though! ;)

As for claims of racism, once again I'm gonna have to agree with GJ. A great example was the recent event in Brixton which was cancelled, and the amount of people who claimed The Met and Lambeth Council were racist for blocking it. It's very daft, but people still claim it sadly.

BTW - The Met have quite a good breakdown of what the arrests were for, and considering the type of event it's obvious that certain things are treated in a more lenient way due to resourcing. Plus, Sunday is supposedly the family day - what kind of family day sees 150 people get nicked?!
    Assault Police - 25
    Psychoactive substances (Nitrous Oxide) - 38
    Criminal Damage - 2
    Public order - 40
    Off Weap / Points & Blades - 90
    Theft Going Equipped - 8
    Drugs - 169
    Sexual Offences - 13
    Robbery - 1
    GBH - 6
    ABH / Common Assault - 17
    Theft Person - 10
    Drink Drive / Drug Drive - 3
    Other - 32

Total: 454 arrests.

Ok, so out of the 454 arrests.. 208 were pretty pointless. The drugs (169) was more than likely cannabis and the Nitros oxide is also a pointless arrest.

So out of 1000000 only 246 people were knicked for offences that put others at harm. Any normal town with a population of 1mil would have that amount of people arrested over a weekend.... A reality check and perspective is always useful
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    shine166 said:

Ok, so out of the 454 arrests.. 208 were pretty pointless. The drugs (169) was more than likely cannabis and the Nitros oxide is also a pointless arrest.

So out of 1000000 only 246 people were knicked for offences that put others at harm. Any normal town with a population of 1mil would have that amount of people arrested over a weekend.... A reality check and perspective is always useful

So did crime elsewhere mysteriously stop during Notting Hill, or are these additional arrests? As for "only 246 people were [k]nicked for offences that put others at harm"... that's ok then? Only an additional 246 people were subject to something which put them at harm over 2 days - right.

By your own figures then, over the course of the two days it was only an average of one person getting nicked for "offences that put others at harm" every 12 minutes.
  • Options
    LuckyReds said:

shine166 said:

So did crime elsewhere mysteriously stop during Notting Hill, or are these additional arrests? As for "only 246 people were [k]nicked for offences that put others at harm"... that's ok then? Only an additional 246 people were subject to something which put them at harm over 2 days - right.

By your own figures then, over the course of the two days it was only an average of one person getting nicked for "offences that put others at harm" every 12 minutes.

Well exactly, some of these crimes possibly still would have happened anyway ! Carnival or no carnival. You a slightly picking my comment apart in a simplistic way as if I'm saying that violent crime is fine. I'm just stating that the figures are inflated and misleading.... Not that violent crime is 'OK'
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    LuckyReds said:

So is the level of violence higher than a city of 1 million over a Friday and Saturday night?

Interesting logic.

Say it is roughly the same, which I'm guessing you're expecting if there's 1,000,000 in one location. Now the second largest city - by population - in the UK is Birmingham, at 1,100,000. Are you saying it's an acceptable expectation for the locals (and the police) to have to deal with crime equatable to Birmingham's over a weekend in one small area which is contained in a much larger city?

Whether or not it's comparable to another city with a similar population is - in my opinion - not really relevant. It requires a ridiculous amount of policing, results in over 1 arrest every 6 minutes, has seen 8 police officers sent to hospital, 5 youths nearly losing their lives, 16 individuals being sexually assaulted and 90 people being caught wandering about with weapons. This is supposed to be a carnival - something fun and friendly - but it's not, is it?
    No I was asking a question that I thought was worth asking.
  • Options
    Does the attendance grow each year?
    what with it being a no ticket event, and London expanding in terms of transport and population at a rapid speed, id wager that more and more people would attend in coming years.
    Like it or not that simply means more arrests, more trouble and more reason to ban it.

Also, has anyone else see that video doing the rounds on social media of the bird taking a wizz on someone's front door? Pisstakers....
  • Options
    Carry on. Apart from the OB, no one is forced to go there, they go by choice, knowing the arrest and crime figures full well. I used to go regularly, never saw any trouble and the locals (who lived on Ladbroke Grove) that I went with loved it. How many of you would actually want to go anyway? How many of you would say "Serves him right anyway" if some wannabe yardie gets a blade in the guts? When Thatcher and a load of men in suits who wouldn't know a football from a water melon started to interfere with football - using violence as a reason for doing so - I bet most of you (who are old enough) were up in arms about it? I imagine some of you might have even been involved in the hooliganism? Yet you want to interfere with an event that has no impact on your everyday life at all?

Live and let live.
  • Options
    Personally I went twice in the 1980s and never went again. Once I stopped smoking dope it just felt like a pointless noisy traffic jam without cars.
  • Options

Does the attendance grow each year?
    what with it being a no ticket event, and London expanding in terms of transport and population at a rapid speed, id wager that more and more people would attend in coming years.
    Like it or not that simply means more arrests, more trouble and more reason to ban it.

Also, has anyone else see that video doing the rounds on social media of the bird taking a wizz on someone's front door? Pisstakers....

Pissmakers, surely? :wink:
  • Options
    I was at a carnival party on a 3rd floor flat roof, right on top of Ladbroke Grove a few years ago. The stuff I saw going on beneath me was eye opening. Its crazy how out of control the crowds are on the Monday evening around that area.