Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How Burnley boss Sean Dyche is shaping team's future

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39417971

Good article about Sean Dyche and his methods. Brings me back to how Curbs used to do it....

A little bit about Nick Pope, who's been a naughty boy :-)

To get there you cross a bridge over the River Calder, which is in flood at the moment and is also freezing cold - but goalkeeper Nick Pope still had to lie in it for a minute last week

A dip in the river is one of the challenges on the Burnley squad's infamous 'wheel of fortune', used to decide the forfeit for anyone stepping out of line - which includes offences like lateness and leaving a cup in the wrong place.

Comments

• I think Dyche would be a great England Manager... So similar to Alan Curbishley in a way.
  • Heard nothing but good things about dyche. A lot of players say he's the best manager they've played under
  • His decision to bring in Joey Barton last season was probably the best decision he has made during his time as manager of Burnley.
  • Got to admire what he has achieved.
    Still find his " everyone's against us" post-match interview mentality tiresome though.
  • Some newspaper reporter said if Dyche looked and sounded like Eddie Howe there would be a clamour for him to be England manager.
  • edited March 2017
    I'd have him as England manager now so he has time to prepare for WC2018. Southgate will win these easy friendlies and get us qualified from an easy group and then when we play a proper team we will lose and be out the WC straight away and then we will get Dyche. We need him now to use WC2018 as a warm up and experience and then give us a chance of doing well in WC 2022. We do not have the best players in the world, in fact we have very average players in comparison to the rest of the world but with average players Dyche is the sort of manager to get the best out of them in a system which Is hard to beat.
  • Their whole club setup is right.

I remember after the last game of last season their directors were in the Princess of Wales Blackheath buying rounds for everyone.

Stark contrast to the way we were treated by our directors on the same day.
  • I like Southgate and the way England are playing at the moment so leave him to have a crack at it.

But Dyche comes highly recommended and you have to say he has build a very decent team on very limited resources. Lots of similarities with Curbs in that the players all seem to want to play there and - let's be honest - Burnley doesn't exactly sell itself to you as a place.

I do wonder if he is planning on having his voice sorted at some point though. It sounds like it should be really painful
  • Southgate | Dyche | Howe were the only ones I wanted to see as England Manager.

Dont think I'd have been as happy with anyone else in charge.
  • Swisdom said:

I like Southgate and the way England are playing at the moment so leave him to have a crack at it.

But Dyche comes highly recommended and you have to say he has build a very decent team on very limited resources. Lots of similarities with Curbs in that the players all seem to want to play there and - let's be honest - Burnley doesn't exactly sell itself to you as a place.

I do wonder if he is planning on having his voice sorted at some point though. It sounds like it should be really painful

Southgate does have the advantage over Dyche and Howe of knowing more about international football and tournament football

Burnley are so similar to us back in the late 90s. They go up the first time, and rather than splash the cash on expensive flops as the likes of QPR did, banked the money and used it to improve behind the scenes and keep a similar squad in place for the next season. Even his signings have tended to be UK based players

Of course even Dyche has made mistakes in the transfer market. Defour (£8m) didn't work out, probably the only signing he's made from abroad (his other foreign players like JBG have English experience already)
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought Defour was just injured?
  • Swisdom said:

I like Southgate and the way England are playing at the moment so leave him to have a crack at it.

Southgate does have the advantage over Dyche and Howe of knowing more about international football and tournament football

Burnley are so similar to us back in the late 90s. They go up the first time, and rather than splash the cash on expensive flops as the likes of QPR did, banked the money and used it to improve behind the scenes and keep a similar squad in place for the next season. Even his signings have tended to be UK based players

Of course even Dyche has made mistakes in the transfer market. Defour (£8m) didn't work out, probably the only signing he's made from abroad (his other foreign players like JBG have English experience already)
    I know this an old thread from last year but I came across it while I was looking for stuff about Nick Pope.

As a Burnley fan, I must say Dyche's transfer dealings have generally been good, but it is true Steven Defour was a disappointment last season when this thread was started. His talent was there for all to see but his arrival the second match into the season meant he was not "Dyche-fit" and could only last 55-60 minutes and struggled defensively.

With a full pre-season last summer, Defour has been a revelation this season and probably our best player until a knee injury against Man United on January 20 ended his season prematurely. In his 24 league games (ever-present), Defour lasted the 90 minutes in about 20 of them/

At 29, he regained his Belgium place after joining Burnley and still has a lot to offer in the PL and internationally (although he will unluckily miss the WC because of injury).
  • Swisdom said:

I know this an old thread from last year but I came across it while I was looking for stuff about Nick Pope.

As a Burnley fan, I must say Dyche's transfer dealings have generally been good, but it is true Steven Defour was a disappointment last season when this thread was started. His talent was there for all to see but his arrival the second match into the season meant he was not "Dyche-fit" and could only last 55-60 minutes and struggled defensively.

With a full pre-season last summer, Defour has been a revelation this season and probably our best player until a knee injury against Man United on January 20 ended his season prematurely. In his 24 league games (ever-present), Defour lasted the 90 minutes in about 20 of them/

At 29, he regained his Belgium place after joining Burnley and still has a lot to offer in the PL and internationally (although he will unluckily miss the WC because of injury).
    Yes, Defour took a year to settle in then has been very good.

Indeed I'm struggling to think of big name signings who've flopped at Burnley, but then virtually all his signings are British based players which really reduces the risks when compared to punts from the Greek or Portuguese leagues.
  • Swisdom said:

Indeed I'm struggling to think of big name signings who've flopped at Burnley, but then virtually all his signings are British based players which really reduces the risks when compared to punts from the Greek or Portuguese leagues.
    Even more surprising is the fact that a good few are from the Championship too.

Most clubs tend to rely on the same names who have played in the Premier League to keep them up (i.e. Your Nigel Quashie's of the world etc.) yet if you look at their squad, the following have joined with very little experience in the top flight here in England.

Pope | Gudmundsson | Brady | Wood | Wells | Westwood | Hendrick.

Apart from Wells, thats half their squad thats starting each week
  • edited March 2018
    I'm not a fan of Joey Barton, but I did enjoy the podcast of his interview with Sean Dyche.

https://podtail.com/en/podcast/the-edge-with-joey-barton/01-sean-dyche/

This is a manager who gets all the basics right. He seems in some important (and commendable) respects old school but in others very forward-thinking, e.g. using psychological profiling in order to identify players' different learning styles. What comes across is a complete absence of bullshit and someone who makes it absolutely clear to each and every player what is expected of them.

Well worth a listen.
  • Swisdom said:

Most clubs tend to rely on the same names who have played in the Premier League to keep them up (i.e. Your Nigel Quashie's of the world etc.) yet if you look at their squad, the following have joined with very little experience in the top flight here in England.

Ashley Barnes and James Tarkowski also have no PL experience, other than with Burnley.
  • Swisdom said:

Ashley Barnes and James Tarkowski also have no PL experience, other than with Burnley.
    Both of those were with Burnley in the Championship rather than being signed after they'd won promotion, yet its a good point as again - Dyche has remained loyal to those who got him into the Premier League.

I watched them against Everton and he gets his team playing good Football!!
  • Swisdom said:

Both of those were with Burnley in the Championship rather than being signed after they'd won promotion, yet its a good point as again - Dyche has remained loyal to those who got him into the Premier League.

Him and Eddie Howe have shown that many players can step up to a higher level with the right coaching.

I've always thought it was terrible when promoted teams then completely junk the players who got them promoted in the first place, rather than giving most a chance to prove themselves
  • Swisdom said:

Him and Eddie Howe have shown that many players can step up to a higher level with the right coaching.

I've always thought it was terrible when promoted teams then completely junk the players who got them promoted in the first place, rather than giving most a chance to prove themselves
    I know its only from League One to Championship rather than the Premier League yet Norwich and Southampton are perfect examples of sides who stick by their players once promoted as they've still got the confidence form the previous year.

Of course, you need to improve your squad, yet Charlton under Chris Powell are perfect example of that when we got promoted and finished 9th - If we had a better partner for Kermorgant (yes it sadly would have meant ditching Wright-Phillips) then we'd have gotten into the Play-Offs for sure
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Add Scott Arfield to that list as well.
  • Blucher said:

This is a manager who gets all the basics right.

He seems is in some important (and commendable) respects old school but in others very forward-thinking, e.g. using psychological profiling in order to identify players' different learning styles. What comes across is a complete absence of bullshit and someone who makes it absolutely clear to each and every player what is expected of them.

Rule number 1: Get the basics right.

It's amazing how many managers, with good ideas and a desire to play attractive football, overlook this principal.
    They soon pay the price.

• Like Sean Dyche he comes across very well and certainly knows his football. I agree he reminds me of Curbs in the sense that he has made Burnley difficult to beat, don't ship many goals and attack quickly. What we wouldn't give to be in Burnley's shoes now.
  • Max Dyche .. son of Sean makes his debut tonight for the Cobblers
  • Sean Dyche has done an incredible job @ Burnley, an unfashionable club, not easy on the eye, but hard to beat.
  • Burnley spent 5% of the £20m that Newcastle paid for Callum Wilson on total transfers this season. But Burnley are 12 points clear of the relegation zone. 

Each and every season Burnley have bad runs but Dyche always seems to get them going again - after 7 games they were rock bottom with a single point to their name. Yes their football isn't great at times but Dyche has to cut his cloth accordingly and get the best out of the players at his disposal. 

It would be interesting to see if he could adapt and be successful at a bigger club.

• Burnley spent 5% of the £20m that Newcastle paid for Callum Wilson on total transfers this season. But Burnley are 12 points clear of the relegation zone. 

Each and every season Burnley have bad runs but Dyche always seems to get them going again - after 7 games they were rock bottom with a single point to their name. Yes their football isn't great at times but Dyche has to cut his cloth accordingly and get the best out of the players at his disposal. 

It would be interesting to see if he could adapt and be successful at a bigger club.

unfortunately I don't think he will ever get that chance.

Wilson at Burnley ? .. I don't think so .. he was signed from Bournemouth

unfortunately I don't think he will ever get that chance.
    There were rumours of a downwards move (ok sidewards) to Palace