Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brexit Thread

Thread for discussion on Brexit

Please adhere to post in a reasoned fashion and be civil with your fellow contributors and their potentially differing views.

thank you

Comments

• I don't know, it could grow on me
  • 2nd referendum, here we come
  • I blame Corbyn.
  • DIANE ABBOTT.
  • edited December 2018
    With this new leaf being turned, I have a hankering to visit the main forums of the other 91 FL clubs to see how they're handling the Brexit debate. What might we find? Which clubs would be having the most civil discussions or the most chaotic wrangles?
  • Sponsored links:

• As terms of the country’s exit from the European Union are mapped out, Britain’s future is murky. Yet the foundation of its business climate remains attractive, leading the U.K. to the top spot in Forbes’ 13th annual look at the Best Countries for Business, which measures countries that are most hospitable to capital investment. It is the second straight year with the U.K. in the lead.

“The U.K. has a globalized economy that is more open than most across the world in terms of trade, investments, capital flows and, until recently, immigration,” says Moody’s chief economist Mark Zandi.

The U.K. is the only country to land among the top 30 (out of 161 countries ranked) on all 15 metrics Forbes used to rate the countries.

https://forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2018/12/19/the-best-countries-for-business-2019-u-s-down-u-k-on-top/#52b4120952d5
  • Rankings

Trade Freedom
    Monetary Freedom
    Property Rights
    Innovation
    Technology
    Red Tape
    Investor Protection
    Corruption
    Personal Freedom
    Tax Burden
  • Businesses have now been advised to enact their plans for no deal Brexit by the BCC and the CBI. How much money is going to be wasted by the private sector by the delay to the vote?

As a political strategy it suits the conservatives but it has come at a cost to everyone else.
  • The Bank of England repeated its previous guidance on how it would handle the UK's expected departure from the EU in March.
    It added: "The monetary policy response to Brexit, whatever form it takes, will not be automatic and could be in either direction."

That means the Bank could either raise or cut interest rates depending on the demands of its mandate to "achieve the 2% inflation target."
    Official figures this week showed the rate of inflation at 2.3% - with wage growth earlier found to be growing at a faster pace of 3.3%.

The bank said that inflation was likely to dip below 2% early next year as plunging oil costs - a consequence of over-supply fears in a slowing global economy - made their way through supply chains.
  • edited December 2018
    Talk about ‘rubbing our noses in it’. Vlad taking the piss and our Govt can’t do a thing about it.

It is also pretty much win win for Putin. Brexit, especially hard, with the ensuing chaos across Europe will be amusing for him to watch as will a second referendum which he hopes will see civil unrest and possibly the break up of the UK.

Above is in ref to Alwaysneil comment as quote option doesn’t appear to be working !!!!!

Or am I doing something wrong?
  • I wonder if there are conspiracy theorists who are thinking that the Drone no longer exists at Gatwick Airport and that the whole mess going on over there is an elaborate attempt to test run what may happen at the event of a no deal
  • stonemuse said:

The Bank of England repeated its previous guidance on how it would handle the UK's expected departure from the EU in March.
    It added: "The monetary policy response to Brexit, whatever form it takes, will not be automatic and could be in either direction."

That means the Bank could either raise or cut interest rates depending on the demands of its mandate to "achieve the 2% inflation target."
    Official figures this week showed the rate of inflation at 2.3% - with wage growth earlier found to be growing at a faster pace of 3.3%.

The bank said that inflation was likely to dip below 2% early next year as plunging oil costs - a consequence of over-supply fears in a slowing global economy - made their way through supply chains.

The Bank of England doesn't know which direction their monetary policy will go in just four months' time. This is awful: no-one can make plans for the first half of next year with any confidence as to whether interest rates will be going up or down. What a terrible, terrible state we're allowing ourselves to sleepwalk into.

And yet, it seems the factors exerting the most significant influence of our economy appears to be two factors entirely out of our control, the slowing global economy and the cost of oil. So much for "taking back control".
  • Quoting ain't working for me either.

You on a Mac, like me, @Chaz Hill ?
  • Quoting not working on iPhone either
  • Sponsored links:

• Quoting ain't working for me either.

You on a Mac, like me, @Chaz Hill ?

So frustrating, isn't it?

:wink:
  • To be 100% clear we are where we are because of May. She took five months to turn Chequers into the WA bill, agreed with the EU. It has no hope of passing in Parliament and so she has stalled, thus burning another 20 of the 100 days left. Try watching Peston from Wednesday and you will gather some insight: Greening noted that there are only three possible outcomes and the WA is going to fail. The quicker this happens, the quicker we can move on. Another Tory woman, Rudd conceded that a referendum might be the way to go if Parliament cannot decide. And Dorries announced that she believes the UK can use a transition period to find our way through No Deal!

WTF?! No Deal = no transition. How many more No Deal merchants are going to come out with that nonsense?

Some expect Labour to solve everything but they simply have to be patient and await the time when the SNP, Labour and Tory Remainers can cut a deal. We simply do not know what the parameters of that deal will be. But personally, I cannot see how May survives for the UK needs nimble, agile, bright leadership in 2019 if we are to change course.

It has been estimated that a People's Vote will take a minimum of 22 weeks to set up. This means either revoking Art.50 or extending the period to end June. Any longer and there's a real problem with the EU MEP elections for the new Parliament starts July 2019. The latest polling suggests that of the 17.4M who voted Leave back in 2016, only 10 million support the WA.

Not only is the deal unpopular but two years discussing the consequences of Brexit has had a massive impact on the beliefs of the electorate. Very few now believe that Brexit will be good for the UK economy - only a quarter of the Leave vote. This piece in the Guardian has more and shows why Labour should back a People's Vote in the New Year once the WA fails.

Bottom line is that only 40% of Labour Leave voters are against a People's Vote - that would be 10% of Labour voters. Labour have had to bide their time but have also seen the benefit of waiting. Some have shown impatience because to them Remain is an identity and is all that matters. Winning the argument and picking the best time to shift the agenda is what needs to happen. Q1 will see an attempt and we will have to wait and see whether the Tory Remainers are willing to do everything possible to take this back to the electorate.

Without them, it's just noise from the SNP and Labour. Without them we leave on March 29th and watch what happens to FDI, GDP and immigration in Q2 as businesses adjust their outlook. Perhaps after all that, they will respond to the challenge and help take back control?! No group of MPs can simply stop Brexit without there being a backlash. So it has to be a broad coalition and it has to be via a referendum.
  • Theresa May type ploy to wear down us ‘Elites’ @Chizz 😕
  • This is ridiculous. The people clearly want a second referendum.

Set a rule that there has to be a minimum 10% majority and go from there.

It should be
    1. No Deal
    Or
    2. No Brexit.
  • I think whatever happens on the 29th March there are going to be quite a few twist and turns before then.
  • edited December 2018
    Dazzler21 said:

This is ridiculous. The people clearly want a second referendum.

Set a rule that there has to be a minimum 10% majority and go from there.

It should be
    1. No Deal
    Or
    2. No Brexit.

In your scenario, what would happen if there is, say, a 52/48 "win" for No Brexit @Dazzler21 ?
  • Cant quote , wont quote
  • Good to see this new thread - always find these very informative, especially being abroad and being so affected by Brexit in so many ways. Hopefully the disruptive element on the old thread won't even bother accessing it so it stays civil and productive, and even encourage more of the sensible Brexiters to start contributing to it.
  • The Irish PM has come out and say that he does not support a border if no deal occurs.