Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo

Comments

• Options
    Medical on Monday at Rangers, then fly to Portugal to meet up with the rest of the squad
  • Options
    There are only two reasons why English players move to Scottish teams 1) twighlight of their career 2) they just can't make it in the English league. If Aribo was going to Bournemouth, Brighton, Derby or Leeds I would totally get it. That is progress and his game would definitely improve. I find it interesting that none of those teams in that calibre have matched the Rangers offer or if they have and he has chosen Rangers that makes no sense to me.

Generally I agree but:

- chance to learn from Gerard
    - chance to learn v poorer quality opposition most weeks 
    - chance to play in front of 40k to 50k every week
    - chance to earn a fortune
    - chance to be a big fish in a small pond
    - chance to be interviewed by me for Nutmeg Magazine (maybe the clincher)

I'm gutted as really wanted Joe to stay.
    That’s some devils advocate thinking there! I’m not sure “learning from poorer quality opposition” is a massive selling point for Scottish football and he won’t be playing in front of 40k to 50k every week, it’ll be 40k to 50k one week and then 5 men and the Loch Ness Monster the next!

Rangers are the second best team in a really poor league. That Aribo has ended up there shows how limited his options were in reality after all the talk of Premier League and Bundesliga teams interested in him, and shows where we are in the pecking order.

Oh, and Nutmeg fecked up my subscription so I’ll never get to see your Aribo exclusive! 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Medical on Monday at Rangers, then fly to Portugal to meet up with the rest of the squad
    So, not signed yet. Still time for him to change his mind.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Seem to recall he wasn’t so great in the early part of last season. 
  • Options
    This whole play for Gerard bollocks play for  2nd fiddle side for a manager who’s earning his stripes 
  • Options
    This whole play for Gerard bollocks play for  2nd fiddle side for a manager who’s earning his stripes 
    Basically the same situation he was in at Charlton! 
  • Options
    Scottish premier league star of the future!
  • Options
    Mad to think we only got a fee of £300k for him scandalous by Roland not to tie him down sooner when he wanted to sign a contract. Hopefully that fee will go straight to a new players wages, such as Eaves etc
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    There are only two reasons why English players move to Scottish teams 1) twighlight of their career 2) they just can't make it in the English league. If Aribo was going to Bournemouth, Brighton, Derby or Leeds I would totally get it. That is progress and his game would definitely improve. I find it interesting that none of those teams in that calibre have matched the Rangers offer or if they have and he has chosen Rangers that makes no sense to me.

Generally I agree but:

- chance to learn from Gerard
    - chance to learn v poorer quality opposition most weeks 
    - chance to play in front of 40k to 50k every week
    - chance to earn a fortune
    - chance to be a big fish in a small pond
    - chance to be interviewed by me for Nutmeg Magazine (maybe the clincher)

I'm gutted as really wanted Joe to stay.
    That’s some devils advocate thinking there! I’m not sure “learning from poorer quality opposition” is a massive selling point for Scottish football and he won’t be playing in front of 40k to 50k every week, it’ll be 40k to 50k one week and then 5 men and the Loch Ness Monster the next!

Rangers are the second best team in a really poor league. That Aribo has ended up there shows how limited his options were in reality after all the talk of Premier League and Bundesliga teams interested in him, and shows where we are in the pecking order.

Oh, and Nutmeg fecked up my subscription so I’ll never get to see your Aribo exclusive! 
    Message me the details re Nutmeg and I'll get the editor to sort it for you.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    IR94 said:
    Mad to think we only got a fee of £300k for him scandalous by Roland not to tie him down sooner when he wanted to sign a contract. Hopefully that fee will go straight to a new players wages, such as Eaves etc
    Sorry, have we got anything for him yet? Still our player according to all sources... Not one says "completed"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rangers would not be a good move - anyone. Can get Rangers  to finish 2nd even Karl Robinson -  he needs another season or he will end up like the rest one season wonder !!! 

Cousins Konsa and Harriet ...

and as Gerrard as a role model !!!
  • Options
    Disappointed with Aribo tbh. We brought him on. Should show some loyalty like Jonjo and sign so we can get a fee in January
  • Options
    Napa has a point, where are the Premier League teams? Aribo's good but he's no Gomez. 
  • Options
    Can't blame him for leaving, especially if he's getting 20k a week and almost certainly Gerrard will improve his game. Yes the championship is a much better league, but 1-2 good years in the SPL and decent premier league sides will be looking at him, playing up there didn't exactly do Van Dijk's career any harm.

This move is entirely Roland's fault, if he'd given him a proper contract offer last summer then we wouldn't be in this situation as Rangers wouldn't have been able to afford him.

Good luck Joe.
  • Options
    Not a great move for Joe, think he could have got a much better club.

Terrible move for Charlton, but only got the madman to blame.
  • Options
    No way are Rangers paying him £1m a year unless that includes the 70% of win bonuses they'll get in that league.

• Options
    jdsd42 said:
    Rangers would not be a good move - anyone. Can get Rangers  to finish 2nd even Karl Robinson -  he needs another season or he will end up like the rest one season wonder !!! 

Cousins Konsa and Harriet ...

and as Gerrard as a role model !!!
    Right, but I think the objective is to get Rangers to finish 1st...
  • Options

Aribo will probably be playing first team football at Rangers and would be a bench-warmer at any of the other clubs mentioned.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    Disappointed with Aribo tbh. We brought him on. Should show some loyalty like Jonjo and sign so we can get a fee in January
    He’s made an error going to Rangers but you can’t blame him for going . What’s attractive about playing for us at the moment ? He will see that we have , including him, lost most of the players that can play in the championship, with rumours of Dijksteel and Taylor going too.. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If he does well in Scotland he'll get picked up by an English club and Rangers will get a decent fee. Charlton are the losers.

If he falls flat in Scotland at least he pockets decent wages.
  • Options
    If Aribo goes to Rangers, there is no chance he will be falling flat. It’s a shit league and one where there won’t be many better midfielders than him, of that I am certain.

Just such a shame because I genuinely feel he would be better off here for a year, has improved under Bowyer so much and if he does it at Championship level, that will look far better than doing it in the SPL. Gerrard hasn’t got anything that suggests he is able to significantly improve players, Bowyer has proven that with a very big handful of our squad.

If he is off, I feel he has listened too much to his agent and not enough to his heart. You need balance of course, you can’t listen to your heart too much, but I don’t think his agent was never interested in Aribo staying. 
  • Options
    Stevie G in a supermarket in Portugal.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    If Aribo goes to Rangers, there is no chance he will be falling flat. It’s a shit league and one where there won’t be many better midfielders than him, of that I am certain.

Just such a shame because I genuinely feel he would be better off here for a year, has improved under Bowyer so much and if he does it at Championship level, that will look far better than doing it in the SPL. Gerrard hasn’t got anything that suggests he is able to significantly improve players, Bowyer has proven that with a very big handful of our squad.

If he is off, I feel he has listened too much to his agent and not enough to his heart. You need balance of course, you can’t listen to your heart too much, but I don’t think his agent was never interested in Aribo staying. 
    Plenty of players with lots of potential go to Rangers and Celtic and fall flat, unfortunately  it’s becoming something of a speciality for Rangers. 

Aribo definitely has lots of potential, but he will still have to work hard to succeed in Scotland and, more importantly to him, get his move back to England at a higher level than Charlton.
  • Options

Aribo will probably be playing first team football at Rangers and would be a bench-warmer at any of the other clubs mentioned.
    You've missed the point, that isn't progress. The clubs in England have better coaching staff and whether you are a regular or not you will lmprove.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Excuse me for asking but where does it say he’s signed for Rangers?
    If he has, I’ve obviously missed the news and apologise ......if not, then isn’t all this speculation somewhat premature?
    I’m confused.
  • Options
    Excuse me for asking but where does it say he’s signed for Rangers?
    If he has, I’ve obviously missed the news and apologise ......if not, then isn’t all this speculation somewhat premature?
    I’m confused.
    Richard Cawley said it on Twitter.
  • Options
    We get a smaller development fee for Joe because it's a cross border move.