Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Joe Aribo

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Swisdom said:
    He is keen to stay but his agent is employed to get him the best deal possible.  He has been watched by West Ham and Tottenham as a minimum but has the same agent as Sancho and Lookman (hence the Germany links previously arose)

If your options were "You can stay at Charlton and earn maybe 6k a week OR you could go to the Premier League, fight for a place but be surrounded by superb players every single day and give yourself financial security for the rest of your life on a minimum£20k a week"

What would you do?  Would you back yourself? would you stick with £250k - £300k a year or go for a minimum £1m a year bearing in mind a couple of years ago you were probably on a couple of hundred pounds a week.
    Would you stick at a club who appear to be in turmoil behind the scenes or would you go and be pampered in the top flight.

We need to get promoted to even stand a chance of him sticking around - but even then it is unlikely

*Figures are guesswork but in the right ballpark
    I like Aribo but there's no way he's a Premier League player at the moment. 
    That is what everybody said about Grant and Pope
  • ross1 said:
    Swisdom said:
    He is keen to stay but his agent is employed to get him the best deal possible.  He has been watched by West Ham and Tottenham as a minimum but has the same agent as Sancho and Lookman (hence the Germany links previously arose)

If your options were "You can stay at Charlton and earn maybe 6k a week OR you could go to the Premier League, fight for a place but be surrounded by superb players every single day and give yourself financial security for the rest of your life on a minimum£20k a week"

What would you do?  Would you back yourself? would you stick with £250k - £300k a year or go for a minimum £1m a year bearing in mind a couple of years ago you were probably on a couple of hundred pounds a week.
    Would you stick at a club who appear to be in turmoil behind the scenes or would you go and be pampered in the top flight.

We need to get promoted to even stand a chance of him sticking around - but even then it is unlikely

There are a lot of pretty average players in the Prem - very few are outstanding  
  • ross1 said:
    Swisdom said:

There are a lot of pretty average players in the Prem - very few are outstanding  
    Too early to judge Grant, but seeing Pope went on to play for England and now valued at £10m as a signing to Arsenal, I think he is better than average
  • ross1 said:
    Swisdom said:

But all are wealthy
  • ross1 said:
    ross1 said:
    Swisdom said:

Too early to judge Grant, but seeing Pope went on to play for England and now valued at £10m as a signing to Arsenal, I think he is better than average
    My point was that there are very few outstanding players in the Premiership - you can earn a very good living by being average or slightly above average and probably not much above the level of a lot of players in the Championship.

The secret is to get there and then hopefully you're set up for life. 

There are very few outstanding individuals in most sports - football has more wealth to be shared than most sports.
  • ross1 said:
    ross1 said:
    Swisdom said:

My point was that there are very few outstanding players in the Premiership - you can earn a very good living by being average or slightly above average and probably not much above the level of a lot of players in the Championship.

The secret is to get there and then hopefully you're set up for life. 

There are very few outstanding individuals in most sports - football has more wealth to be shared than most sports.
    There are very few outstanding individuals in most team sports
  • Didn't think he was ever going to stay and that proves it. We have offered Joe contracts and if he does go then.... 
  • Is it just still a rumour or has Joe Aribo gone to Glasgow Rangers???
  • Sponsored links:

• doronron said:
    Is it just still a rumour or has Joe Aribo gone to Glasgow Rangers???
    Still here for the time being at least

• Yeah it’s scraping the barrel a bit, he was 19 when he joined us.
  • doronron said:
    Is it just still a rumour or has Joe Aribo gone to Glasgow Rangers???
    Still here for the time being at least

Just noticed whoever added the Roland Out cant spell Charlton
  • I have edited the spelling mistake
  • doronron said:
    Is it just still a rumour or has Joe Aribo gone to Glasgow Rangers???w

Well if you have seen the same text as myself could be more to it than we wish.

• doronron said:
    Is it just still a rumour or has Joe Aribo gone to Glasgow Rangers???w

Well if you have seen the same text as myself could be more to it than we wish.

Bowyer on his way probably?

Aribo has stalled to see how the [non]sale goes, now Bowyer is in France perhaps he's jacking it in?
  • To be fair to LB, this is only his second week's holiday, and once the players return from holiday in just over a week, he will have no chance for any more time off (unless he tells Duchatelet to poke it). He has a wife and two children and they need some attention from him after all.
  • Poor move for Aribo to join Rangers - better off playing in England.
  • Don’t think Rangers is a terrible move. He will have to play very well though because you don’t want to get stuck in the Scottish league for long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Should have stayed here, he has left The Championship for a Pub League
  • The lure of being coached by one of the premier league great midfielders would be pretty strong for a young player. Really hope he stays but wish him well if he goes to learn under Gerrard for a season or 2.
  • edited June 2019
    Yep his aim has to be using them as a stepping stone and getting a move within one or two seasons.

That said, the info re: him going to Portugal seems oddly specific. Anyone know the source of that or is it just some spotty sweaty teen in his bedroom making up nonsense?
  • What a shame if he leaves , he was developing into an exciting attacking midfielder under Bowyer and Jackson  . Not sure Glasgow will be the best move for him , as London is his manor  . Could become another Lookman type situation .
  • Rangers is a crazy move for him. I say that as a Rangers fan. 
  • eh i'm not so sure it's a terrible move, he's playing for the 2nd biggest club in Scotland, with a world class midfielder as the manager and will be surrounded by better players than here. He doesn't need to stay for long, only a few years and then if he's good enough, move to a better league like the prem. 
  • Errr, isn't he still contracted with us? For at least another two weeks at least.
  • Should have stayed here, he has left The Championship for a Pub League
    But not a pub league bank balance.
  • eh i'm not so sure it's a terrible move, he's playing for the 2nd biggest club in Scotland, with a world class midfielder as the manager and will be surrounded by better players than here. He doesn't need to stay for long, only a few years and then if he's good enough, move to a better league like the prem. 
    He will be playing in a poor league against poor sides - he'd get better experience in the Championship.
  • I hope Roland hasn't taken the bait on this one. I was hoping we could actually keep a performing prospect for one summer.