Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Aribo

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2019
    cafctom said:
    20 thousand reasons a week to go to Glasgow  would turn every single head on here 
    Not to mention the fact that he’ll be managed by Steven Gerrard, who in Aribo’s life time was arguably the best in the world in playing the sort of footballing style that Joe plays himself. 

Seruously think that element is being undervalued by those who think it is purely about money.
    Stevie g isn’t fit to tie viera’s shoes. Gerrard never won a league or an international title. He won the champions league once and a maybe a few fa cups. If you judge a player on trophies won, he is bang average!  He manages in a two team league and finished second

So a few FA Cup winner’s medals  and a Champions League winner’s medal is “ bang average”? 

• Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    20 thousand reasons a week to go to Glasgow  would turn every single head on here 
    Not to mention the fact that he’ll be managed by Steven Gerrard, who in Aribo’s life time was arguably the best in the world in playing the sort of footballing style that Joe plays himself. 

Seruously think that element is being undervalued by those who think it is purely about money.
    Stevie g isn’t fit to tie viera’s shoes. Gerrard never won a league or an international title. He won the champions league once and a maybe a few fa cups. If you judge a player on trophies won, he is bang average!  He manages in a two team league and finished second

Yeah you’re right. Call the deal off Joe - Steven Gerrard knows nothing about playing in midfield. 
    Didn’t say that. You said gerrard was the best midfielder in the world in aribo’s Position. He wasn’t. I said viera was better
  • Options
    Lampard > Scholes > Gerrard
    Scholes was amazing and never got the hero worship he deserved.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I reckon in reality he didn’t have all these other clubs chasing him and his agent perpetuated (maybe initiated) those rumours to try and get a bidding war going.
    Wouldn't have been for a bidding war, would have been his agent pocketing himself a much higher agent fee I would say.

Truly can't stand football agents, proper scumbags, on par with estate agents (sorry any lifer estate agents) 
    I disagree (about football agents and about estate agents too), but that’s probably a discussion for a different thread.
  • Options
    Despite clutching at straws and hoping a miracle might happen, there was only going to be one outcome. Lee Bowyer went to wish Joe Aribo well for the future and thank him for his efforts over the last two years.
    Lee left at 19 to go to Leeds, so had no aces to play.

Steve Gerrard was no Lee Bowyer ! But he will mentor Joe career going forward. I watch many Scottish matches on a Friday for 30 minutes before watching the Bundesliga. The standard is truly League 1 other than Celtic who are top championship.

So only George Lapslie left from the youth players I said to look out for. Lookman, Konsa and now Joe Aribo. I said Bone as well but footy politics and illness may have affected his prospects.
  • Options
    Aribo was one of my favourite players of the last few years. One day he may be as good as Paul Mortimer. At that moment let’s hope we have enough money to buy him back. Good luck Joe. 
  • Options
    The the disappointing thing for me is that young players feel that they need to move on to achieve their career aims. I remember saying that now Charlton need not sell their young players. I remember the incredulous look Meire & Duchatelet gave him- immortalised in that famous photo. 

So many decent young players, moved on for a relative meagre amounts of money or no fee. Its the shame of Duchatelet’s reign. 

Would have liked to stay & see Joe Aribo develop at Charlton. Steven Gerrard was a terrific midielder, so he will get a chance to learn from him. 

Steve Gallen, Lee Bowyer &Johnnie Jackson did well last season. Hoping they can again maximise wages & money freed up to get some decent players in. 
  • Options
    It is depressing to think of the team we could have had if all those players stayed.  Not likely to happen even with a sensible owner, but still...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not too bothered about how much he's getting paid or where's he going.

I'm just concerned about replacing him.

Joe was inconsistent, as you'd expect of a young player but when he played well he transformed us.

He drove the team up the pitch, he was physical, skillful and scored goals.

We don't have a replacement for him at present and finding one won't be easy on the budget we currently have.

WIOTOS
    WWIOTOS?
  • Options
    Lampard > Scholes > Gerrard

No chance 

bowyer-kinsella-Bielik 

• Options
    Think there’s a lot of disrespect towards the Scottish league and Joe in general right now.

Every chance that he can continue to progress up that way. Look at van Dijk. Yes, for every VVD there are 20 Joe Dodoos but can you blame an ambitious kid for believing he will be the 1 in 20?
    I really hope he kicks on and ends up at a Premiership team and getting caps for England, but I just done see it happening with this move.
  • Options
    To be fair to @Callumcafc , he said that Aribo would be one of the best players in his league next season - looks like he’s going to be right! 
  • Options
    The Turkish Messi will be incoming to replace Joe , not as physical of course as he is only 2ft 6 but he has bags of skill.
  • Options
    There are only two reasons why English players move to Scottish teams 1) twighlight of their career 2) they just can't make it in the English league. If Aribo was going to Bournemouth, Brighton, Derby or Leeds I would totally get it. That is progress and his game would definitely improve. I find it interesting that none of those teams in that calibre have matched the Rangers offer or if they have and he has chosen Rangers that makes no sense to me.

Generally I agree but:

- chance to learn from Gerard
    - chance to learn v poorer quality opposition most weeks 
    - chance to play in front of 40k to 50k every week
    - chance to earn a fortune
    - chance to be a big fish in a small pond
    - chance to be interviewed by me for Nutmeg Magazine (maybe the clincher)

I'm gutted as really wanted Joe to stay.
  • Options
    Hmm I see you and raise 

El-Hadji Ba > Andrew Crofts > Christophe Lepoint
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but the more I think about it, the more I realize Aribo only became a million dollar player... this last season under Lee Bowyer. He was good before, but not by any means great. 2018-19 was 11 goals and 4 assists. The year before just 5 and 0. And this is a new division for us in 2019-20 and Aribo has not yet proven anything in it at all; we are just speculating he would shine, but this division is littered with players who looked great in League One but could not make the step-up for one reason or another. Bowyer made Aribo what he is (in my opinion) just as much as Aribo made himself and I don't see why Lee can't make another one of our young kids the next Aribo, this season. Lee has a way of turning coal into diamonds on a regular basis and I would rather keep Lee Bowyer + lose Aribo and Bauer than lose Lee and keep those players. The most important transfer business we have this season is already completed.... Lee Bowyer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2019
    With all due respect @NapaAddick, if you had seen him play live, you would likely  have a v different view. One of the classiest players I have seen in our shirt and with so much potential. Will be a huge loss.
    I am sure you are right, but we seem to be under the thinking that Bowyer cannot improve the quality of other players we have at all, which I doubt. KAG, Lyle, Aribo.... they were not always that good or they would have been poached long ago. Gallen's recent comments that this season will be no more a challenge than last is interesting. He and Lee do wonders and perhaps they are less fearful than we are? If you look at the fan's reaction at almost any club in England right now (us, Arsenal, ManU, Tottenham, you name it) they all have one thing in common.... their fans think their current window is a disaster thus far.
  • Options
    With all due respect @NapaAddick, if you had seen him play live, you would likely  have a v different view. One of the classiest players I have seen in our shirt and with so much potential. Will be a huge loss.
    Bang on he’s is class I hope he don’t get the sh1te kicked out of him and end up badly injured, the lad is quality!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Any midfielder capable of scoring 10 goals from open play, plus assists, is going to be a massive, massive, miss.

No way of dressing it up or pretending it isn't going to happen.

The term that comes to mind is Parkerlite (Scott not Josh just in case anyone was confused). I use that term only because we are discussing a lower level and less money. In terms of impact on the team and its prospects (or lack thereof) the effect is likely to be worse. 
  • Options
    Aribo was special, a very rare talent. I remember seeing his debut at Southend. Never have I seen a young kid, making his debut, looking head and shoulders above any other player on the pitch. It was the most impressive debut I have ever seen from a Charlton player, and I've been going since 1966. It was criminal that we didn't sign him up to a longer contract.
  • Options
    I am sure you are right, but we seem to be under the thinking that Bowyer cannot improve the quality of other players we have at all, which I doubt. KAG, Lyle, Aribo.... they were not always that good or they would have been poached long ago. Gallen's recent comments that this season will be no more a challenge than last is interesting. He and Lee do wonders and perhaps they are less fearful than we are? If you look at the fan's reaction at almost any club in England right now (us, Arsenal, ManU, Tottenham, you name it) they all have one thing in common.... their fans think their current window is a disaster thus far.
    KAG gone. Aribo gone. Will Lyle hang around?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    I am sure he would like to. But someone I hear has been offered Roland £50, so I assume he is off.
  • Options
    According to some bloke on twitter he will be the next to leave
  • Options
    Based on insta No
  • Options
    He hasn't left yet.

Wouldn't suprise me if Bowyer convinces him to stay.

A one year deal with a release clause.

Sure....his mind might be elsewhere. 

But...last season....he would have known clubs were looking at him and it didn't distract him on the field of play. His performance didn't drop.

Roland would want a contract agreed....even if he wants to jump off a cliff just because his wages will be a lot higher (even though Roland's a multimillionaire 74 year old)
    You tight bastard trying to destroy the club.

Cough*
    Enough of that 

Aribo might just sign on the dotted line. Wouldn't it just be easier and more straightforward for him? He's 22...not 28. He has plenty of time for a big big club to come in for him.

He hasn't played in the championship yet. 

You want a gradual increase of a challenge. 

If fans get made aware that Aribo wanted to stay but he didn't receive a good enough contract offer from the owner of the club.

Roland knows he will be embaressed in Belgium again...by the fans.
    It will all end badly for him.