Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tom Lockyer - collapsed again at Bournemouth, recovering in hospital (p23)

Comments

• Options
    He came to play championship football and played lots of it.  He's found out same as us that he ain't close to being good enough. His distribution is rank awful, he lacks pace and he ain't blessed with height or size either.  He looked decent at 4th and 3rd division level.  If he gets another crack at the 2nd division good luck to him.  Maybe one of the promoted sides would take him on but I'd be surprised if many Champ teams come knocking.  He's entitled to stay of course, but I doubt there's any realistic prospect he'll be getting paid this month so he'll be free to seek a better option.  Not a seller's market where TL's concerned 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    More than good enough for League One though. And let’s face it, half the side are leaving as it is. We need at least a few regulars to stick around.

This has to be the moment for ownership change. We simply cannot keep doing this every year. 
    100% in agreement, but we’ve been saying this for years!
  • Options
    I have some inside knowledge here.   

Lockyer came to us to play Championship football.  Giggs told him he needed to if he wanted to be a serious contender going forward.  He could have earned twice his Charlton wage going to one of our relegation rivals and £2k more per week going to one of the clubs now in the play offs.  He accepted a much lower wage because he thought he would play more at Charlton and Bowyer really impressed him.  He is no mercenary.  

The Club insisted on a relegation clause which would reduce his money if Charlton were relegated, in return they agreed the escape clause.  This is standard practice I am led to believe.  

And to those questioning his commitment?   He played every minute of every game accept the two he was banned for.  Only Lockyer, Phillips and Cullen played every minute post the lockdown. And when they had the huddle before the second half yesterday, it was Lockyer doing the talking and rallying the troops.

There are plenty of people to blame for what happened this season.  Picking on those that gave everything and would have died for the cause is more than a bit stupid in my eyes.  
    The long period he spent at Bristol Rovers, and the good wishes he got from their fans shows his character

A solid player for us, but he has regressed a bit during the season. He hasn't looked international class when I've seen him play for Wales though, and I do worry about his temperament as he's too easily wound up
  • Options
    When will he go??? Surely we're not officially relegated yet?

Haven't we got to wait on the efl or does computer say no?? 
  • Options
    He’s not exactly backed himself to defend properly if he’s negotiated a clause that basically says ‘if we concede to many goals that means relegation, I get a get out of jail free pass.’  That’s confidence! lol! 
  • Options
    I like him and always think he gives 100% 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We were one of a few Championship clubs in for him last season, I am aware he spoke with Forest, and bought into Bowyer. 
    Exactly. We were told at the time, Lockyer signed for us because he bought into Bowyer.

Bowyer told him he would improve him and make him a better player.

That's why he signed for Charlton.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    We were one of a few Championship clubs in for him last season, I am aware he spoke with Forest, and bought into Bowyer. 
    Exactly. We were told at the time, Lockyer signed for us because he bought into Bowyer.

Bowyer told him he would improve him and make him a better player.

That's why he signed for Charlton.

Out of interest, is the consensus that he has improved? Would love to hear views on this. 
  • Options
    lets be honest anyone who says Lockyer wanted us  get relegated so he could leave on a free is talking absolute rubbish

There is no way anyone of those players or staff wanted us to be relegated, every player gave there all for us
    I remember Jacko saying, when he was skipper just after Powell was sacked and we went bottom of the division:

"...... no player wants a relegation on his CV"

And he used that to motivate the dressing room and avoid relegation.

• Options
    ozaddick said:
    He’s not exactly backed himself to defend properly if he’s negotiated a clause that basically says ‘if we concede to many goals that means relegation, I get a get out of jail free pass.’  That’s confidence! lol! 
    I think the Club had a clause that his wage would go down if we were relegated (fair enough). 

Given that it's not unreasonable for him to have his own relegation insurance.

I'm not quite sure how Lockyer 'benefits' from us being relegated although I realise it wasn't you suggesting that but @golfaddick
  • Options
    Decent enough player, but not quite sure he'll ever be much more than a lower champ player. Think its perfectly reasonable for people to suggest he might not be fully committed in the last few games of his contract too, if he has this clause in there! Don't like them at all, but its swings and roundabouts I guess...
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    LenGlover said:
    ozaddick said:
    I think the Club had a clause that his wage would go down if we were relegated (fair enough). 

I'm not quite sure how Lockyer 'benefits' from us being relegated although I realise it wasn't you suggesting that but @golfaddick
    He benefits from us getting relegated because he can then move on a free, thus very possibly securing himself a signing on fee. 

Imagine a scenario. 3 games to go & it's looking like we could get relegated. His agent starts having talks with other clubs & one says that they would be willing to sign him & they reckon CAFC would take £500k. Agent drops it into the conversation that he can leave on a free if we went down & said club says no problem, we'll give the player £250k instead. Win/win.

And you dont think this could turn his head. And I'm not talking about scoring own goals or getting himself sent off ( Mr Mills take note) buy maybe just not tracking his man when they go past (ala Reading) or just allowing a ball to pass him on the way into the net (ala Birmingham).

Nah, I'm sure all players are whiter than white & fully honour their contracts (not naming any names Mr Taylor) 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    ozaddick said:

Based on some of the posts on here, seems that a huge factor in this is likely to be international football.
    If he can only play for Wales if he is in Championship or higher then it makes sense to have a release clause so the misfortunes of your club do not prevent you getting a cap for your country.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's a good player, who put a shift in, is going to the Euro's and deserves to be able to get his place by playing in the Championship. The idea he's happy we've been relegated is pretty offensive, but then a troll is going to troll
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    He's a good player, who put a shift in, is going to the Euro's and deserves to be able to get his place by playing in the Championship. The idea he's happy we've been relegated is pretty offensive, but then a troll is going to troll
    I'm no troll. Just dont think it's in anyone's interests to have a clause in your contract that says if you are bad at your job then you get rewarded for it.

I'll let it drop now.......but one day when you find a striker with a similar clause & when he blasts a penalty over the bar in the last minute of the last game of the season & gets relegated because of it you might just think again. 
  • Options
    He’s not in Paddy Bauer’s class but he’s not the worst CB we’ve ever had. Seems like a decent bloke too. If we could keep him we should but there’s  no way on earth he will be here next season unless there are major changes in the next couple of weeks, nor should he be if he’s in his right mind. 
  • Options
    Can’t fault his commitment. Think he ran out of steam a bit at the end of the season - but having to man the Alamo game after game must take its toll. 
  • Options
    I’m not going to slag Tom off because I think he’s a decent player, and when we do slag people off it generally comes back to bite us!

If he doesn’t want to be here because it’s playing in a lower division with less wages, then fair enough, thanks for your efforts, and all the best for your future.

I do think the pressure got to Tom in the end as it did to a lot of the players.

I think Tom would look a decent player in a team that’s not in free fall and fighting a relegation battle.

There was so many cracks in our squad that we even managed to turn decent players into nervy players that made mistakes, Toms performances in the end got worse and worse as the pressure told.

All the best Tom, and thank you.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I like the guy and thought he had a solid season. The suggestion that he wasn’t committed in the last few games is ridiculous. If we was looking to exercise the clause then surely he would have done a Lyle. Why even bother playing.