Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 18's updates - 23/24 season (from p49), play-off final v Birmingham Sat 25th May 1pm (p63)

Comments

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Good luck to the under 18s for their away game at Bournemouth today. A point or better wins the league.
    Currently winning 0-2 ten minutes into second half.
    0-3 - Mbick, Safa and now Enslin.
    Easy, easy.

Any idea who scored?
    Thanks.

We all agree M'Bick is better than Casey : - )
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Good luck to the under 18s for their away game at Bournemouth today. A point or better wins the league.
    Easy, easy.

Any idea who scored?
    Thanks.

Nawty boy ! 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Easy, easy.

Any idea who scored?
    Thanks.

They are pretty good partners when they play together.
  • Options
    edited May 7
    Crusty54 said:
    Easy, easy.

Any idea who scored?
    Thanks.

Different players. Casey is a shorter version of Sheringham whilst Mbick is a shorter version of Ferdinand.

Mbick will make a difference next year until Leaburn is fit,  Pat will take a few seasons, if we can keep him.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Easy, easy.

Any idea who scored?
    Thanks.

Different players. Casey is a shorter version of Sheringham whilst Mbick is a shorter version of Ferdinand.

Mbick will make a difference next year until Leaburn is fit,  Pat will take a few seasons, if we can keep him.
    Casey signed a long term contract but several Scottish clubs are interested.
  • Options
    Barnsley confirmed as the semi-final opponents.

Birmingham vs. Bristol City in the other game.
  • Options
    Where are the semi final and (if we get there) final being played?
  • Options
    All the B’s and a C
  • Options
    Hopefully the B's beaten and the C champions
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where are the semi final and (if we get there) final being played?
    We should be at home in the semi but the Valley unlikely to be available due to laying the new pitch. 

Higher finishing team gets home advantage in the final too but if both regional winners progress it's on the toss of a coin
  • Options
    B*gger ! Not Barnsley again ! 

We travelled there to watch our lads in the Final last year .....as did @clive.

But maybe we'll have the upper hand this time. 
  • Options
    I’ve only seen Pat Casey a couple of times, was the finals a year ago.
    Seemed to me at the time he was a highly unusual striker, a very accurate shot, uncanny ability to be in the right place at right time, but no pace.
    Teddy Sheringham - esk !

I still have a nagging feeling his total lack of pace might stop him progressing very far in men’s football.
    Those who have seen him recently, I’d like your opinion.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I’ve only seen Pat Casey a couple of times, was the finals a year ago.
    Seemed to me at the time he was a highly unusual striker, a very accurate shot, uncanny ability to be in the right place at right time, but no pace.
    Teddy Sheringham - esk !

I still have a nagging feeling his total lack of pace might stop him progressing very far in men’s football.
    Those who have seen him recently, I’d like your opinion.
    Very hard to define.
    He plays like a very relaxed ghost who knows how to put a ball in the goal.
    Or like a sleeping cat, but as soon as you take your eyes off it, it has swiped your glass onto the floor.
     Sounds like the kind of forward we're missing in the first team squad. Not likely he'd dislodge any of the current squad so maybe a loan away til January then bring him into the side if he's continued to kick on. 
  • Options
    edited May 9
    Casey needs to work on his upper body strength, improve his tackling and stop getting yellow cards for kicking the ball away.

He can be fast off the spot but he'll never be a sprinter.

He works better when M'Bick is alongside him. It's pointless playing him alone up front against a pair of 6ft 4ins central defenders.

• Options

The semi-final is scheduled for the 18th May ko 13.00
    According to the fixture list on our website it is at Sparrows Lane
     https://www.charltonafc.com/fixture/list/81 
    but on Barnsley's site it is at 'The Valley' 
    https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2024/may/u18s-reach-play-offs/
  • Options
    Have now discovered that on Barnsley's fixture list on their website it is also listed as at Sparrows Lane.
    https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/matches/fixtures/?u18=true&team=6754&season=2023&competition=11,1,2,7
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Alan Shearer had no pace. I would say he was succesful because he had a striker's instinct. 
  • Options
    clive said:

The semi-final is scheduled for the 18th May ko 13.00
    According to the fixture list on our website it is at Sparrows Lane
     https://www.charltonafc.com/fixture/list/81 
    but on Barnsley's site it is at 'The Valley' 
    https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2024/may/u18s-reach-play-offs/
    Not happy with SL. 

Standing for over 90 minutes isn't an option for Mr F ...Guess we could take our own fold up chairs ?

Why couldn't we stage this at Princes Park or Welling's ground ? 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    No info though how to attend this match....
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    I was assuming it will be Valley Gold only, as usual. Barnsley's site also didn't say anything about tickets, it just talked about how to watch on ifollow.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    I was assuming it will be Valley Gold only, as usual. Barnsley's site also didn't say anything about tickets, it just talked about how to watch on ifollow.
    Only 1 VG so will have to watch via the Barnsley stream. Thanks.
  • Options
    Yet again the comms team ignored the under 18s. No preview for the game, no updates on the Academy X/Twitter feed during the game or even the final score afterwards. Obviously no match report yet (maybe tomorrow morning).
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    Easy, easy.

Any idea who scored?
    Thanks.

Casey signed a long term contract but several Scottish clubs are interested.
    Are Casey and Mbick both on professional contracts? Never really understand how this side of the game works with Prem clubs seeming to have the pick of other clubs.

Hopefully we can give these two a sniff of 1st team without compromising promotion Hope's next year, but that could rely on staying in League Cup and EFL trophy plus the FA Cup early rounds.
  • Options
    Casey signed a 2-year pro contract last summer.