Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Lapslie (Pg 21 - Joins Mansfield permanent)

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Lapslie > Gilbey

6 goals and 2 assists for Mansfield. Who, of our midfielders, can match that?

Different level to be fair and Lapslie has never looked like that kind of player in all the years for us. It may be that he has found his level, or he could be having his penny drop moment... Would be farcical if Bowyer stuck by his decision to let an in form player who actually loves the club go. 

Lapslie is proving me wrong with my view of him. Never saw him as a regular goal scorer, that's for sure. 
    But how many times did we play him in the sort of position that Mansfield have him in now

For them he's focused in playing either Central Midfield or as an Attacking Midfielder... I watched his peformance briefly before half time (was torn over watching that and the Spurs game) and he was constantly getting forward and into the opposition box - Compare that with the games / positions he's been played in over the course of his career and he's actually played more games out of position than he has done in his natural role

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/george-lapslie/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/476149

I know people are going to comment on Bowyer playing someone else out of position but to be fair he's always had better / more experienced players ahead of him in his own midfield position, at least up until now

Its as a I felt when the news broke confirming he was off on a free, unfortunately I think George has hindered his own Charlton career by being that type of player who'll slot in wherever he's asked

At the moment I wouldnt just add in a sell on clause, I'd add in a clause that either allows us to buy him back within a few years OR we get first refusal if another club comes in for him
  • Options
    I don't see any harm in giving him a go and sending Levitt back.  
  • Options
    I think Lapslie is a player who can look very good at the lower levels but be very badly exposed as you go up the leagues. His technique isn't very good and that usually gets found out the higher you go. The reality is that he's doing brilliantly in L2 right now and could potentially look decent in L1. He's not going to be good enough for The Championship though and that's where we're looking to go. I think with a player like Lapslie he would be so out of his depth at the level we want to be at that he'd look like a poor player again, which overall he isn't. Probably best for him if he starts over somewhere new and grows with a team rather than always being on the edge of playing with us. I wouldn't be surprised at all though if he generally plays at L1 or L2 level and then if he gets promoted to a Champ team he's one of the casualties when that team starts to build a higher level team
  • Options
    I think Lapslie is a player who can look very good at the lower levels but be very badly exposed as you go up the leagues. His technique isn't very good and that usually gets found out the higher you go. The reality is that he's doing brilliantly in L2 right now and could potentially look decent in L1. He's not going to be good enough for The Championship though and that's where we're looking to go. I think with a player like Lapslie he would be so out of his depth at the level we want to be at that he'd look like a poor player again, which overall he isn't. Probably best for him if he starts over somewhere new and grows with a team rather than always being on the edge of playing with us. I wouldn't be surprised at all though if he generally plays at L1 or L2 level and then if he gets promoted to a Champ team he's one of the casualties when that team starts to build a higher level team
    But if we went up this season who would you trust in midfield? Watson and Pratley are at the end of their careers, Shinnie isn’t our player, this is JFC’s level. That only really leaves Gilbey who looks poor and Morgan. I’d prefer Lapslie in the squad over half our midfield purely because of his age. At least he has a lot more time to improve. 
  • Options
    Except they have COMPLETELY different skillsets/positions and aren't remotely comparable?
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    But if we went up this season who would you trust in midfield? Watson and Pratley are at the end of their careers, Shinnie isn’t our player, this is JFC’s level. That only really leaves Gilbey who looks poor and Morgan. I’d prefer Lapslie in the squad over half our midfield purely because of his age. At least he has a lot more time to improve. 
    JFC is much more polished, and Morgan is on a different planet in terms of passing and playmaking. Lapslie MIGHT give value to the team in terms of being someone who will charge forward and get into the box and be quite positive, but if we're not making any play (which is what Levitt might be able to do in Watson's absence) then there'd be no point even in that. 

Lapslie is a Charlton lad, which is lovely, but he's shown repeatedly that beyond the effort there's not much subtlety or guile in his play. He doesn't unlock, he runs around gamely. We want players who will run around AND do the tricky stuff well.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    'Shinnie isn't our player' this is such sentimental guff. I guess people are always going to talk shit about loan players because they're not 'one of our own' but are you seriously calling Lapslie - who puts in 100% effort but whose passing can be charitably described as 'crude' - a better option than Shinnie? Seriously? JFC is also much more polished, and Morgan is on a different planet in terms of passing and playmaking. Lapslie MIGHT give value to the team in terms of being someone who will charge forward and get into the box and be quite positive, but if we're not making any play (which is what Levitt might be able to do in Watson's absence) then there'd be no point even in that. 

Lapslie is a Charlton lad, which is lovely, but he's shown repeatedly that beyond the effort there's not much subtlety or guile in his play. He doesn't unlock, he runs around gamely. We want players who will run around AND do the tricky stuff well.
    But he's right though isnt he... He's not calling Lapslie a better option than Shinnie

What he's saying is if we go up to the Championship, we'll have Lapslie but there is no guarantee we'll have Shinnie as he isnt our player
  • Options
    Ive not seen it myself with lapslie but you cant argue that he's been doing well at mansfield. Maybe the penny has dropped and time to bring him back 
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Leuth said:
    'Shinnie isn't our player' this is such sentimental guff. I guess people are always going to talk shit about loan players because they're not 'one of our own' but are you seriously calling Lapslie - who puts in 100% effort but whose passing can be charitably described as 'crude' - a better option than Shinnie? Seriously? JFC is also much more polished, and Morgan is on a different planet in terms of passing and playmaking. Lapslie MIGHT give value to the team in terms of being someone who will charge forward and get into the box and be quite positive, but if we're not making any play (which is what Levitt might be able to do in Watson's absence) then there'd be no point even in that. 

But he's right though isnt he... He's not calling Lapslie a better option than Shinnie

What he's saying is if we go up to the Championship, we'll have Lapslie but there is no guarantee we'll have Shinnie as he isnt our player
    Ah right okay. Well, Lapslie in the Championship is an absurd notion (as it stands). Sandgaard has cash and we'll be able to buy far better. That's it really. 
  • Options
    I'll like the lads attitude, but if you think he's the answer then you're asking the wrong question
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Eh? What you on about? I'm not talking "shit" because he's not "one of our own". I'm merely stating a fact, I wasn't insulting Shinnie (for the record I'm a big fan and we've clearly missed him). Just when we are talking about players capable in a Championship midfield next season, who is above Lapslie? We're talking about needing 3-4 signings in that area and that's just in CM. Lapslie wouldn't be the first name on the teamsheet, I wouldn't even have him as a starter but I'd prefer him in the squad over Watson, Pratley or JFC next season because his career is going in a different direction. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Glad someone had their glasses on.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Ah right okay. Well, Lapslie in the Championship is an absurd notion (as it stands). Sandgaard has cash and we'll be able to buy far better. That's it really. 
    The initial comment from @cafcfan1990 makes you realise that if we do go up then almost our whole Midfield needs a complete overhaul
    Absolutely. We need 4-5 massive signings and then another 5-6 good quality squad players. Going to be a real task and for that I do have a lot of sympathy for Gallen/Bowyer because they've had to do it every single season. IF we go up, I hope the summer is the last time we need to change the squad so much!
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Eh? What you on about? I'm not talking "shit" because he's not "one of our own". I'm merely stating a fact, I wasn't insulting Shinnie (for the record I'm a big fan and we've clearly missed him). Just when we are talking about players capable in a Championship midfield next season, who is above Lapslie? We're talking about needing 3-4 signings in that area and that's just in CM. Lapslie wouldn't be the first name on the teamsheet, I wouldn't even have him as a starter but I'd prefer him in the squad over Watson, Pratley or JFC next season because his career is going in a different direction. 
    Yeah I realised you meant next season and amended! I'm sure if we want Shinnie next season we can have him, mind
  • Options
    True, although it's a slight concern that Shinnie wasn't getting much game time at Luton. Having said that I'd definitely be up for keeping him for a year, think he's a very good player. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

The initial comment from @cafcfan1990 makes you realise that if we do go up then almost our whole Midfield needs a complete overhaul
    Absolutely. We need 4-5 massive signings and then another 5-6 good quality squad players. Going to be a real task and for that I do have a lot of sympathy for Gallen/Bowyer because they've had to do it every single season. IF we go up, I hope the summer is the last time we need to change the squad so much!
    I actually think we'd probably need a complete overhaul almost... Right-Back and Goalkeeper MAYBE being the only two areas we'd be fine:

Defence: Purrington probably isnt up to it, need a first choice LB for sure... Inniss should cope, but can Pearce now?
    Midfield: Williams | Maddison | Morgan are the three that should be certs, Forster-Caskey a squad player
    Attack: Aneke showed during Project Restart he can do it, Washington's goals beyond League One are debatable, jury will be out on Schwartz

The beauty at least is the fact we wont be hampered by the Salary Cap, unless they bring one in which we know will happen!!
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

I actually think we'd probably need a complete overhaul almost... Right-Back and Goalkeeper MAYBE being the only two areas we'd be fine:

Defence: Purrington probably isnt up to it, need a first choice LB for sure... Inniss should cope, but can Pearce now?
    Midfield: Williams | Maddison | Morgan are the three that should be certs, Forster-Caskey a squad player
    Attack: Aneke showed during Project Restart he can do it, Washington's goals beyond League One are debatable, jury will be out on Schwartz

The beauty at least is the fact we wont be hampered by the Salary Cap, unless they bring one in which we know will happen!!
    Yeah I'd say GK probably ok, although might need a bit of experienced competition for Amos and let AMB get a season out on loan, playing regularly. RB probably ok, defo need a LB and at least 2 quality CB's. 

At least 4 midfielders and another striker to complete the set of 4 even if Schwartz is a success. That's 9-10 signings, so so difficult to just keep doing. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

Yeah I'd say GK probably ok, although might need a bit of experienced competition for Amos and let AMB get a season out on loan, playing regularly. RB probably ok, defo need a LB and at least 2 quality CB's. 

At least 4 midfielders and another striker to complete the set of 4 even if Schwartz is a success. That's 9-10 signings, so so difficult to just keep doing. 
    Not to mention we'll be having to do it as a small fish in a big pond

Rather than being able to build a really decent squad at this level which can gel and then crack on into the Championship like what we saw with Powell's team
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Except they have COMPLETELY different skillsets/positions and aren't remotely comparable?
    I never said they were. There is a cap and a squad limit, which levitt is currently occupying! Get rid and give lapslie a chance. Levit is t ours and won’t be here next season son let’s give one of ours a go first and see how he does.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

We are a league 1 team. No point in even talking about the championship at the moment.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

And defence, and attack and probably our goalkeeper
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:

If the championship had a salary cap, we would be so far under it that it wouldn’t really bother us. I’m guessing Accrington and Wimbledon aren’t as affect by it this year as we are. A championship salary cap would cause teams like Watford problems.
  • Options
    It can be argued that none of our midfielders are guaranteed Championship calibre next season anyway

You have those who were, but are now getting old - Watson, Pratley
    Those who should be capable but haven't done it yet on a regular basis - Morgan, Maddison
    Those who might be capable but haven't done it yet on a regular basis - Gilbey
    Those who will do a job, but probably aren't good enough - JFC
    Those with question marks about fitness and where they fit in to a Bowyer team - Williams

Then you have someone like Shinnie who isn't our player anyway AND wasn't considered good enough by Nathan Jones who's turned Luton around

• Options
    We seen Lapslie play wide in the midfield and the base of the diamond in League one in the past and he was not up to standard. It seems his success in the lower league is more of an attacking midfielder.  Given the limited cap space, do we really want to take a risk and absorb his salary.  Is he really going to displace Maddison or Williams when we clearly having glaring needs in positions he doesn’t fit.  I know people want to compare him to Karlan about someone who can drop down and then turn it around and rise up the league.  However, the difference is Karlan always had speed and skill but just didn’t have the football awareness or finishing ability.  George doesn’t have Karlan physical abilities and that isn’t going to change. If there was no cap, it wouldn’t hurt to take a chance but Gallen needs to be smart about where to spend the money and it is pretty clear that the forward position, wide midfielders with speed, central defenders and defensive midfielder are the biggest needs.  None of those are Lapslie.
  • Options
    Despite some critical analysis of George as a player, the consensus seems to be that if he moves on it will be with our best wishes.
  • Options
    It can be argued that none of our midfielders are guaranteed Championship calibre next season anyway ......

Then you have someone like Shinnie who isn't our player anyway AND wasn't considered good enough by Nathan Jones who's turned Luton around

That's not necessarily the situation with Shinnie, though ....... often it's just a case of change in formation, tactics and different systems which might not suit that player - and quickly the player is out of favour.

Sometimes it's just there's 2 good players for 1 position and the younger slightly quicker one gets the nod. And with Shinnie, Nathan Jones said he was reluctant to let him out on loan - but did both us and Shinns a favour in recognition of his siignificant contribution to Luton's success in the past few years.

Good players don't suddenly become not good enough over night.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Despite some critical analysis of George as a player, the consensus seems to be that if he moves on it will be with our best wishes.
    Absolutely especially after the way Bowyer has treated him, he's clearly flying in that league, I can only assume Bowyer doesn't like George as a person... He is fine at this level and as we're seeing, with a managers trust he's killing it.  
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    Absolutely especially after the way Bowyer has treated him, he's clearly flying in that league, I can only assume Bowyer doesn't like George as a person... He is fine at this level and as we're seeing, with a managers trust he's killing it.  
    Is this a troll? In what way has Bowyer treated him poorly and what’s leading you to assume Bowyer doesn’t like George as a person? 

It was only a few days ago Bowyer said the following:  “He is a great lad. You can never fault him. He crawls off the pitch every game because his attitude is spot on. He comes in and trains like a proper professional and gives you everything. He is a pleasure to work with.”

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    You're better off dealing in fact than fantasy.