Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best match you've been at (non Charlton)?

I was lucky enough to be in St Etienne for the England v Argentina match in World Cup 98. A stunning game of football - both teams playing flawlessly at their absolute peak for the first half - I've not seen football like it before nor since. Wonder goal by Owen of course. Then the Beckham sending off - couldn't believe it at the time. After that it became enthralling from a different point of view - brave England holding out and even nearly winning it. Then penalties and it was over in a flash. The atmosphere had a certain edge to it too, due to complete lack of segregation. Anyone else on here there? (Stadium only held 38,000.)

What great non-Charlton matches have you been at?

Comments

• Liverpool v West Ham cup final 2006
  • Barnet 4 Crewe 7 August 1991
    England 4 Holland 1 Euro 1996
  • England 0-0 Poland 73
  • England 2 - 0 Scotland, Euro '96
  • Only been to Welling v Dover Athletic years ago. Never seen anyone apart from charlton. So None!
  • Roma 2-2 Perugia circa 2003

Brilliant game loads of noise and flares..

Roma 2-0 down by half time and there keeper sent off for a ridiculous challenge and then second half totti just runs the show setting up both goals(I think) and then hitting the post really good.... different flavour to english games with everyone necking these shots of coffe instead of beers... a few nutters about and my girls first ever game of football...

Loved it
  • Barca 1 Sampdoria 0 :o) - best night of my life other than the playoff final and my wedding
    Barca 5 Madrid 0 - 1994 - pissed out of my mind and delirious as Koeman and Romario rattled them in - Laudrup was absolutely superb that night
    Barca 8 Osasuna 1 - 1993 or 1994 I think - ridiculous - they have always had the flair to give teams a right caning when they're in the mood - halfway through the second half I swear the osasuna players just stopped and admired the football
    Spain 4 Yugoslavia 3 at Euro 2000 - best finish to a match ever - two goals in injury time!
    I Once played in a game that finished 8-8 - scored twice and missed an open goal to win it right at the end
  • England v Sweden in Germany last year - first and only time I've been to a World Cup Game - fantastic experience
  • Dulwich Hamlet 6 Bognor Regis Town 6
  • Juve v Lazio - 2000 (Lazio won 1-0)

The most amazing atmousphere I've ever seen.

Zidane's ball juggling on the centre spot just before the game was worth the admission price alone.
  • Sponsored links:

• england v france at portugal 04 - bad result but the game and atmosphere was brilliant
  • England 4 The Netherlands 1 Euro 96 (best England performance at home i've seen)
    England 2 Colombia 0 World cup 98 (English support/atmosphere was incredible)
    France 3 Brazil 0 World cup final 98
  • France v England 84 in the friendly!mad night,went with 5 Charlton lads
  • edited June 2007
    Domestically probably when I went to Highbury the year before last for their Champions League Quarter Final v Juventus Thierry Henry Crucified their back four that Night & Fabregas destroyed Vieira in the centre of the park. 2-0 Arsenal

Internationl wise it was at the old Wembley it was the Dutch Side that had Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkarrd, Koeman they passed England off the park that night even if it did end up 2-2. One of the goals Gullit's header came after about 30 passes, England could not get near them.
  • roma v lazio 2-0 to roma
    got in the ground 2 hours before the game started, non stop singing. stood near the 'ultras' and tried to make out what the banners were saying.
  • West Germany 1 Bulgaria 2 World Cup 94 in USA

Seeing those krauts get stuffed with 15 minutes to go was priceless. Weren't too many Bulgarians there so when they scored the winner by Letchkov, I stood up doing my nut amongst shedloads of Krauts, looked around and the only people standing up were blokes in England shirts....brilliant.
  • England 4 Netherlands 1(Euro 96)
    England 2 Scotland 0 (Euro 96)
    England 1 France 2 (Euro 2004)
    Arsenal 2 Luton 3 (League Cup final 1988)
  • Not the best in terms of skill but Gillingham v Halifax was a tense old game as the losers almost inevitably faced relegation to the Conference.