Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bow's Future

Comments

• Options
    IanJRO said:
    I do worry a little that if new owners come in and invest in January he could find himself under pressure if results don't pick up quickly. 

Would hope that he is given a healthy budget to rebuild in the summer and have a proper go next season. He has more than earned that right. 

Of course - that’s the way any manager is going to be judged. But at the moment Bowyer is well in credit. As you say, he was more than earned to right to be judged under proper ownership with with the correct tools to do his job. As things stand, he is like a Builder that hasn’t got enough bricks and cement to build a house. 
    Bow said it himself yesterday before the game:

“I said to someone yesterday that it’s like being a plumber and you’re going to work and you’ve only got half your tools,” said the Addicks boss. “Can you fix this? Well, not really. I need that tool to do this and that tool to do that. We’ve had more than half our squad taken away."

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-lee-bowyer-im-like-a-plumber-who-is-missing-vital-tools-to-get-the-job-done/
  • Options
    What would have happened to Man U if they didn't give Fergie a chance when he first started as their manager. Give Bows some money and see how he gets on.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I didn’t feel imo the crowd were overly supportive last night @hoof_it_up_to_benty

worst atmosphere for a couple of years, very much a poor L1 turnout in terms of bodies in ground (not announced crowd), generally anxious atmosphere with most of the ‘singing’ aimed at a former player on the opposition. 
    Hi AFKA.

Attendance: 13,488 (680 from Huddersfield).

Very decent following for a midweek away in the pissing rain in December.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I didn’t feel imo the crowd were overly supportive last night @hoof_it_up_to_benty

worst atmosphere for a couple of years, very much a poor L1 turnout in terms of bodies in ground (not announced crowd), generally anxious atmosphere with most of the ‘singing’ aimed at a former player on the opposition. 
    Hi AFKA.

He meant the actual number of people in the ground  - 13,488 is not representative of the number of people who were physically there.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Oggy Red said:

Hi AFKA.

He meant the actual number of people in the ground  - 13,488 is not representative of the number of people who were physically there.
    But then the number of spectators actually in the ground is never announced, only the number of seats sold, etc.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    MrLargo said:
    Oggy Red said:

Hi AFKA.

But then the number of spectators actually in the ground is never announced, only the number of seats sold, etc.
    Yep I know that Oggy.

I think what Afka was saying is that it was, in reality, a disappointing crowd, despite the fact that the officially announced gate suggests it was a reasonably good turnout. 

Guessing there wasn't much over 10k there in reality.
  • Options
    There's two streams to criticism. There's the Twitter/Facebook insanity from arseholes who have grown accustomed to being able to say whatever they want without being punched in the face, and there's genuine criticism of tactics and approaches to games. You shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that fans have turned on Bowyer just because of the idiots on social media, but you also shouldn't disregard all valid criticism as being part of the social media shrieking. It can be difficult to separate them with the sheer volume of thoughts being sprayed out into the world.
    Personally I think Bowyer is great, but I do have problems with how things are going at the moment. The defence isn't good enough and hasn't been for a while now. They're all fit, and yet we can't trust the team to hold out even into the dying seconds of a game. It feels a bit like it did under Robinson, where we would often score but I would just be waiting for the other team to equalise. We have loads of injuries but I feel like this will still be the case even with all our players back. We saw it against Forest where we played some of the best football I've ever seen this club play, and still drew because we couldn't avoid making a silly mistake at the back. It happened against Bristol City where we should have been able to play out the 1-0 but we made a stupid mistake to go 1-1 and then let them have the game in injury time. The main difference hopefully in future will be that we'll score more than the other teams when we're balanced again. All our defenders are fit and not one of them is really looking good enough at the moment carrying out their basic duties, regardless of extra pressure brought on by our lack of fluency in attack or shielding from the midfield. Passes go astray, men are allowed to run and any high ball could result in a goal against us; that's a problem that having the whole team back won't fix. I really hope he has a serious look at how our defence sets up and what's going on with the players, because I'm not convinced that just bringing in a couple of new faces at the back will solve all our troubles.
    I do think that Bowyer is the man to solve it though, and players returning and new players coming in will definitely help
    Spot on.
    I think the Championship is proving a hard ask for Pearce, Solly, Purrington and Sarr for different individual reasons, which is then in turn impacting the collective.

Apart from the mistake last night, I thought Solly had a decent game.  He's got a very high level when it comes to reading the game, but it is getting harder for him to cope from a pace perspective, and he's coming up against some real quality wingers going against him.  You've also got to factor in that if he plays as a wing back, he, like Purrington, probably don't have the ability to contribute with regards to the attacking role of the position.  I think he, like Purrington, are far more comfortable as full backs.  

Pearce seems to be getting in too many situations where he's getting caught wrestling opposing forwards, the penalty conceded against Preston a good example.  

Sarr, although good on the ball, and improving, is still liable to give the ball away, and at this level, it's far more likely to get punished.  

In an ideal world, we would probably all want another right and left back, and probably an additional centre back given the problems that have arisen in the last few weeks, but as we are already strong in that area in personnel, I would imagine Bowyer and Gallen would look elsewhere in Jan for new recruits.  I hope he gets that investment and we see what happens .

• Options
    The reaction of a small number in the North Upper at the final whistle last night was embarrassing. 

Shouting at the players and LB to F off, screaming that they are useless etc

Get a grip, yes it was not the greatest performance, we all saw that, and it frustrating to lose like that at the death, but keep your shit together because its only by sticking together we will get through this

Cheers Ogs, I meant the amount of home fans actually there was poor, not the announced turnout. The East, West and quads were empty, and the Nth was well down on previous games
  • Options
    We’re always a bit shit in December aren’t we? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bubble said:
    We’re always a bit shit between August and May aren’t we? 

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Matt Southall liked this tweet “...a good hard look at the manager...”

People that post this sort of stuff to Southall are idiots. “Need a miracle” - No we don’t, we need injured players back and a transfer window - not what I would call a miracle. Total overreaction as per usual. 

Another one is that knob Acworth. Telling him what players to sign. He must think he is coming in to run a club that’s supporter are retards. 
    Spot on mate..
  • Options
    The thing is if the takeover is not done in December and we don't pick up a win in the next 4 games no matter what the fans think is there a strong chance the new owners will bring in someone else.

• Options
    Scoham said:

People that post this sort of stuff to Southall are idiots. “Need a miracle” - No we don’t, we need injured players back and a transfer window - not what I would call a miracle. Total overreaction as per usual. 

Another one is that knob Acworth. Telling him what players to sign. He must think he is coming in to run a club that’s supporter are retards. 

I think Southall's going to regret being so visible on Twitter very soon. It's probably already annoying enough getting suggestions every five minutes, just wait til he's actually in his role and we go on a bad run. He'll be shutting the thing down in no time.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    100% support for Bowyer from me, he's a Charlton man.
  • Options
    As per Charlton Life's 100% Support' masthead, indeed, now's the time, more than ever to get fully behind Lee Bowyer. COYR!!
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Oggy Red said:
    MrLargo said:
    Oggy Red said:

Hi AFKA.

Yep I know that Oggy.

I think what Afka was saying is that it was, in reality, a disappointing crowd, despite the fact that the officially announced gate suggests it was a reasonably good turnout. 

Guessing there wasn't much over 10k there in reality.
    Just read AFKA's original post again.

Ah, see what you mean, Mr Largo. 
  • Options
    we have some absolute bell ends following us.....and FB seems to bring out the finest examples
    For once cant be talking about me as dont have Facebook or twitter or any other keyboard warrior stuff 
    Get all my bulls$#t right here on good old charlton life
    Straight from the horses mouth as they say
  • Options
    Bubble said:
    We’re always a bit shit in December aren’t we? 
    We were last year too, especially over Christmas ..... glut of injuries did for us as well, although not quite as debilitating as right now.

We turned it round very well once the injured returned to full fitness.
    I reckon we will do so again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yep.  I reckon he has a matter of days left in the job!

• Options

Yep.  I reckon he has a matter of days left in the job!

.....under his current contract.
  • Options
    I've never known such a bad injury crisis at Charlton or any club. FGS we couldn;t even fill the bench for some games. The players who are able to play are knackered physically and mentally, which is porbably why we are giving away goals in the first and last minutes. We played brilliantly at the beginning of the season and that has only stopped because of the injury crisis, but getting back to winning ways and getting our confidence back is going ot more than just getting players back on the pitch. But I have every confidence in Lee and his team and the players. We just need to be a bit understanding and patient and try to help not knock their confidence. I would take our situation with the new owners over a few more points with Rat Face still the owner any day!
  • Options
    There isn't a manager in the world that wouldn't be struggling with virtually your entire midfield squad wiped out with injury. 99% of us i'm sure understand that and i'm sure 99% of us remain fully behind bowyer. These circumstances are exceptional and i've no doubt the new owners will not be thinking any differently now as to what they were 3 weeks ago apart from they may be thinking LB and his team need even more help in the Jan window. I've made a few suggestions as to how we might approach the injury crisis differently but i'm in no way suggesting that bowyer isn't the man for us in the short, medium and long term.   
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Acworth isn't the full ticket though is he (as far as I know) so doesn't feel right to me to be talking about him like that.
  • Options
    Yeh bit grim insulting Acworth, he's definitely not all there 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Oi Acworth is harmless
  • Options
    Talal said:
    Scoham said:

Acworth isn't the full ticket though is he (as far as I know) so doesn't feel right to me to be talking about him like that.
    Yeh bit grim insulting Acworth, he's definitely not all there 
    Ok, unfair of me to dig him out if he isn’t the full ticket.