Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gary Lineker

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    In a world of massively overpaid primadonna's Lineker is up there with the best of them. Fair play though for his salary donation. As much as I detest the bloke it's certainly not something he was obliged to do.
    Honestly, how can anyone really 'detest' Lineker. Good player, decent presenter. Dislike maybe, disagree with probably perhaps, but detest seems unnecessarily hateful imho. We're so polarised in this country. Everything is black and white, grey seems to have vanished from the vocabulary.
    Ok dislike immensely. Good enough?
  • I think the issue is that Lineker and the PFA are saying that this takes time to formalise and probably at least a couple of weeks. It could be done on the back of a fag packet in about 5 minutes! In fact the NHS will have built a hospital housing 4,000 patients in the time they take to work out what's "fair and equitable".  

It's also hard to get one's head round how Spurs can make the decision in a nanosecond to use tax payers money to furlough 550 staff but aren't prepared to do anything so far as their superstars are concerned. I wonder why?

Finally, as for Premier League footballers coming out and saying this criticism is so unfair I would like to assure them that they will be able to manage an average reduction of £14,000 a week. - the £56,000 they would get paid instead still represents 100 times more than the average wage of a nurse. They should try living on that!

I'm sure they could survive on£2500 a month, for 3 months
    Whilst I agree with all of the premises outlined in the main argument - they actually probably couldn’t survive on that. If you have been earning x for 10 years and all of a sudden your income is X/50 then anyone would find themselves in the sticky place. Simply we all live to our means. To a point you can cut back but eventually your fixed outgoings just can’t be cut further 
    If you've been earning £50K a week for 10 years I'm sure you could earn nothing for 3 months simply because they will have savings/properties/investments etc etc. And if they do have a big mortgage to pay then they can do what the rest of society is having to - take a 3 months payment holiday.

Wilfried Zaha recently offered 50 properties he owns to the NHS. A very worthy act but indicative of the life and means of a PL footballer.

Yeah fair point. Prem footballs are on such massive money. I have heard lots of people saying MPs / people on c£80-100k a year should be forced to take 50% pay cuts. Thats probably more what I would lean on - they wont have the savings / investments mentioned. Not to mention so many of the MPs are getting pelters but for now the cabinet all look utterly exhausted trying to run the country through this so actually are probably earning their money at the moment.

• Croydon said:
    Don't think there would even be a discussion if Spurs, Newcastle and others hadn't decided to furlough staff. That stinks, but I feel the players are getting the brunt of anger better directed at Levy and Ashley.
    I was told on another thread that the only football club in the UK that makes any profit is Citeh, so I can understand clubs cutting their cloth to get through the next few months, as all businesses are doing, but when you consider some players monthly salaries can probably cover the whole running of the non footballing side of the business for the same period, I can't see why each squad wouldn't want to pull together to cover this for the next couple of month, not because they should, but because they want to. No I in team and all that, although there is ME if you look hard enough
  • iainment said:
    As someone said earlier it’s right in the vigilante mindset to blame footballers for all of this. They didn’t starve the essential public services of resources over the last 12 years but of course if they take a pay cut all will be well.
    I’d like to see a list of all the politicians and other rich people’s pay cuts to help in the current situation. I doubt I will though because they have snouts that dip into protected troughs.
    Of course, though, footballers who earn the amounts touted around are courting a PR disaster if they don’t do something.

No one is "blaming footballers for all this", and if they are they're stupid
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the problem here is , that clubs are happy to fund crazily enlarged player salaries whilst they don’t work ... and are more than happy to reduce their non playing staffs wages and then ask the government to fund it! 

No one is asking them to fund the NHS , that is crazy - if they chose to help as some have them that’s amazing 
    BUT they should be helping Their own clubs workers salary payments at fractions of cost to themselves! 

If a player earns £20k a week (somewhat more championship level than premier league) 
    they earn over £1million before tax that year ... extrapolate that time a squad of 17 and you’re talking enough to pay £25k to 680 staff! 

Surely a pay cut to help their clubs staff through this period isn’t a big ask!!?? 
  • iainment said:
    As someone said earlier it’s right in the vigilante mindset to blame footballers for all of this. They didn’t starve the essential public services of resources over the last 12 years but of course if they take a pay cut all will be well.
    I’d like to see a list of all the politicians and other rich people’s pay cuts to help in the current situation. I doubt I will though because they have snouts that dip into protected troughs.
    Of course, though, footballers who earn the amounts touted around are courting a PR disaster if they don’t do something.

Imho it’s implied.
  • iainment said:
    iainment said:

Imho it’s implied.
    Where?
  • iainment said:

Well, I can't be bothered to do your, you know, actual leg work for you.  But, also, can't sit here reading your total claptrap without comment.  So here's a starter:  Disney execs 50% cut for the top guys, 30% for other exces; Frasers Group - all execs salaries capped at £40k; and Gravity Payments (read about the guy that runs this business) voluntary pay cuts with some taking no pay.  I could go on, obviously many will lose their performance related pay.  Sorry if that doesn't fit your mouth-frothing agenda.  Meanwhile, it goes without saying that professional footballers in the PL should do their bit.  And if a  hospital can be constructed in 9 days surely the highly paid executive of the PFA could do something useful in a little less time?
  • cafcfan said:
    iainment said:

Well, I can't be bothered to do your, you know, actual leg work for you.  But, also, can't sit here reading your total claptrap without comment.  So here's a starter:  Disney execs 50% cut for the top guys, 30% for other exces; Frasers Group - all execs salaries capped at £40k; and Gravity Payments (read about the guy that runs this business) voluntary pay cuts with some taking no pay.  I could go on, obviously many will lose their performance related pay.  Sorry if that doesn't fit your mouth-frothing agenda.  Meanwhile, it goes without saying that professional footballers in the PL should do their bit.  And if a  hospital can be constructed in 9 days surely the highly paid executive of the PFA could do something useful in a little less time?
    Frasers Group? Doesn't the guy who  owns them also owns Newcastle who has done a similar deal as Levy? 
    Disney executives? Are they in anyway anything to do with this country?
    I dont really worry too much what others earn, footballers are an easy target. There are others, loads of them who earn vast amounts but seem to stay off the radar of bitterness.
  • cafcfan said:
    iainment said:

Frasers Group? Doesn't the guy who  owns them also owns Newcastle who has done a similar deal as Levy? 
    Disney executives? Are they in anyway anything to do with this country?
    I dont really worry too much what others earn, footballers are an easy target. There are others, loads of them who earn vast amounts but seem to stay off the radar of bitterness.
    Be funny to see some of these high earners, not just football players, get by on £2.5k a month before tax
  • JamesSeed said:
    In a world of massively overpaid primadonna's Lineker is up there with the best of them. Fair play though for his salary donation. As much as I detest the bloke it's certainly not something he was obliged to do.
    Honestly, how can anyone really 'detest' Lineker. Good player, decent presenter. Dislike maybe, disagree with probably perhaps, but detest seems unnecessarily hateful imho. We're so polarised in this country. Everything is black and white, grey seems to have vanished from the vocabulary.
    Don't know about that. There was that Christian Grey character only about 5 years ago.
  • Think the Palace chairman said they would continue to pay matchday staff during the break. Not sure if anyone has mentioned that? Spurs and Newcastle furloughing staff is crazy. They could easily afford to pay them without government subsidies or asking players to take a cut. But the offer was there from the government and they've taken advantage of it. No one said big business was exempt
  • Sponsored links:

• Lineker is a total "James Hunt". Uses the platform he has built on BBC (which I have to pay a licence fee for, with no real choice) to spout his political beliefs which insult a rather large proportion of the captive licence fee payers he has ponced off for years. Has made some totally unjustified criticism of England fans from his Ivory Tower without knowing what is really happening on the streets. Does he do a good job on MOTD? He is a poxy link man. A genial host< How hard is that?
  • Why is Levy getting a bonus for opening the stadium a year late and over budget?
  • Ok , so if a footballer is on £200k a month shouldn’t he be paying £100k of that to the tax man .
    if said footballer reduces his salary to £50k a month tax man gets £25k instead of £100k ?
    Sounds like tax man loses as well as player and club wins ....
    obviously these figures are basic guff but you get the gist 
  • Croydon said:
    Don't think there would even be a discussion if Spurs, Newcastle and others hadn't decided to furlough staff. That stinks, but I feel the players are getting the brunt of anger better directed at Levy and Ashley.
    They should have come forward themselves earlier though

It's not as if the players will be unaware of what's going on. I can understand it in normal circumstances, when they are completely preoccupied with matches, training and travelling, but for 3 weeks they've been basically bumming around at home. Taking Spurs as an example, Harry Kane seems a decent and intelligent person, and if he (as Captain) didn't think of proposing a pay cut by the players to pay for the other staff, surely his agent and sports management should have been prompting and organising it, seeing that they get paid loads of money to basically run the off field lives of footballers. 

Levy might be a money grabbing **** but the players, agents and PFA needed to take a moral lead themselves much earlier. Especially when players at other top European clubs had already done this. Indeed the players at Union Berlin have given up ALL their salary to ensure the club survives

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11881/11963714/union-berlin-players-agree-to-go-without-wages-amid-coronavirus-pandemic
  • JamesSeed said:
    Played for Spurs?
    Leicester, Everton, Barcelona, Spurs .. I think that's the lot .. Oh England as well of course and as skipper ?

Nagoya Grampus Eight
  • Why is Levy getting a bonus for opening the stadium a year late and over budget?
    What sort of bonus will the bloke in charge of Crossrail be getting?
  • Lineker was a brilliant footballer and clearly a good presenter.

Have any of you met him? I have in my work for the Red, White and Black campaign. Given the bloke's political views, you would expect him to be supportive, but no, he didn't want to know and openly sneered and then laughed at John Barnes for associating with Charlton.

Lineker was happy to associate with us when he was paid to be at the re-opening of Sparrows Lane. 

• I dont begrudge the players their wages. 
    Like you say compared to other sports or wages of actors or musicians etc it is not that much different. 

However surely a football club should have put them on furlough as well as the tea lady and security guards?