Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheff Weds Decision 12 points Next season

Comments

• Options
    sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:
    no way they’ll U-turn before the fixtures are released this Friday. 

I’m 100% expecting a bit of compensation though, absolute joke of a decision in the first place.
    Depends on who they look to relegate..

They could chose to fully relegate Shef Wed , so surely would swap our name for theirs? 

In regards to taking the points off , I suppose it would mean swapping ours for Barnsley

unless the appeal happens before Friday, which I presume it will as a matter of urgency 

alternatively, if the EFL do want Shef Wed relegated - I presume they can push back the fixture list announcement/sort something
    Dont they try to avoid Millwall and Charlton playing at home the same weekend (or is that just a myth?)

Might well be a similar scenario with Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday

If at the moment the fixtures stop that from happening then simply giving our fixture list to Sheff Wed and visa versa may open up cases like that
    That’s only whilst stadiums are open to full capacity and fans are free to walk up to the stadium. 

With COVID, stadiums are going to be limited
    to how many fans can attend and therefore reducing the ‘risk’ of bust ups as I’d imagine >10k Charlton and >10k Millwall are allowed in the grounds at any one time 
    And what if those games fall when Stadiums are back open and back to normal?
    Presumably one is moved to midweek or a day or two later ... plenty of ways around it!
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    It took nearly a year to reach a verdict, I can’t see them accepting an appeal and finalising a decision within days. 

We don’t want to be back in the Championship at this point, the moment has passed. We’re a worse squad than the one that got relegated. 

With the new salary caps it would be a legal minefield to swap two teams at this stage. 
    But the difference in payments is huge.

season tickets would be a larger amount too, and with TS possibly concluding a deal within the next two weeks we would have time to sign players- especially if the transfer window doesn’t shut until mid October! 

Don’t get me wrong, I want to be playing Championship football - but if we wanted that we should have appealed the decision the second it was announced, not weeks later. 

The EFL will stall this for as long as possible, just like they did the first time round. In theory, there’s nothing wrong with the decision, they have been punished - just not during the timeframe Charlton fans want as it benefits the club. 

We’ll be battered week in, week out until TS upgrades the squad exponentially. I genuinely think it’s better for the club to restructure in League One and come back stronger, rather than being the Championship whipping boys for a season. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I think the only bodies that can appeal it are Wednesday and the EFL. Seeing as Wednesday have appealed it, it is probably a good idea to pressure the EFL as they appealed Macclesfield and look what happened there. I think we can take legal action and an appeal by the EFL may mitigate this from their perspective.

It would also serve as a timely warning for other teams not to play silly buggers!
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    It took nearly a year to reach a verdict, I can’t see them accepting an appeal and finalising a decision within days. 

We don’t want to be back in the Championship at this point, the moment has passed. We’re a worse squad than the one that got relegated. 

With the new salary caps it would be a legal minefield to swap two teams at this stage. 

season tickets would be a larger amount too, and with TS possibly concluding a deal within the next two weeks we would have time to sign players- especially if the transfer window doesn’t shut until mid October! 

Don’t get me wrong, I want to be playing Championship football - but if we wanted that we should have appealed the decision the second it was announced, not weeks later. 

The EFL will stall this for as long as possible, just like they did the first time round. In theory, there’s nothing wrong with the decision, they have been punished - just not during the timeframe Charlton fans want as it benefits the club. 

We’ll be battered week in, week out until TS upgrades the squad exponentially. I genuinely think it’s better for the club to restructure in League One and come back stronger, rather than being the Championship whipping boys for a season. 
    In MM's statement he said they have asked the EFL twice to appeal the decision and have not heard back. I think they are only just going public now. 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

I don’t think we would be the whipping boys , certainly not dead cert for relegation either! 

We pulled up trees the start of last season with a weaker team, and whilst we have lost players like Taylor and Sarr - I would argue we’re roughly where we started last season , barring a few decent incoming transfers! 

Nothing to say we wouldn’t add to the squad , and surely even then if we were still under the embargo - the wage cap would be more than we have now , leaving us to pick up a few bargains! 

I’d be confident to Be outside the relegation zone nearing January, especially with weaker teams like Wycombe, coventry and Rotherham!! 
  • Options
    If it is true as reported, that the EFL wanted the punishment this season, surely they should appeal.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:

I don’t think we would be the whipping boys , certainly not dead cert for relegation either! 

We pulled up trees the start of last season with a weaker team, and whilst we have lost players like Taylor and Sarr - I would argue we’re roughly where we started last season , barring a few decent incoming transfers! 

Nothing to say we wouldn’t add to the squad , and surely even then if we were still under the embargo - the wage cap would be more than we have now , leaving us to pick up a few bargains! 

I’d be confident to Be outside the relegation zone nearing January, especially with weaker teams like Wycombe, coventry and Rotherham!! 
    If you’re confident that we’d be outside the relegation zone near January - as well as alluding that we’re currently better than the 3 best teams in League One last season. 

Surely you must think our current squad will gain promotion from League One with relative ease? 

The start of last season we had a fully fit squad, a largely unknown style and Taylor, Sarr, Gallagher, Leko, Cullen, Matthews and Field - we still got relegated. 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:

If you’re confident that we’d be outside the relegation zone near January - as well as alluding that we’re currently better than the 3 best teams in League One last season. 

Surely you must think our current squad will gain promotion from League One with relative ease? 

The start of last season we had a fully fit squad, a largely unknown style and Taylor, Sarr, Gallagher, Leko, Cullen, Matthews and Field - we still got relegated. 
    Impossible to answer as the Championship squad and League One squad would look vastly different. The Championship team would include Sarr and Matthews and might well stay up but the League One squad will be weaker and probably won't go up.

But for the sake of your argument, yes if we could play in League One with the squad that just finished the season along with the signings made so far i'd be very confident of promotion.
  • Options
    SWFC want the points deduction moved into the 18/19 season where they finished 24 points clear of relegation.

Given that the Championship doesn’t dish out prize money based on final league standings, it would effectively render the punishment pointless.

They want to have their cake and eat it. And I wouldn’t put it past the EFL to let them get away with it.

I know our club is sitting in the hands of shysters but  they’re not (sporting) cheats and not a single section of our fanbase is siding with ESI. Rather than playing victim on another team’s forum, I’d feel embarrassed if I was a Wednesday fan.

On that point, talk of an agenda is almost comical. SWFC haven’t been relevant since the 20th century so why would the EFL treat you any differently to the 71 other member clubs?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Whilst it is unlikely the EFL would do anything that gave them any difficulty, surely it is a dangerous game Wednesday wanting the punishment brought forward.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:

Impossible to answer as the Championship squad and League One squad would look vastly different. The Championship team would include Sarr and Matthews and might well stay up but the League One squad will be weaker and probably won't go up.

But for the sake of your argument, yes if we could play in League One with the squad that just finished the season along with the signings made so far i'd be very confident of promotion.
    Confidence is one thing, if we could do it is another matter. 

It’s been said a million times before, but one more won’t hurt - we scraped finishing third, scraped through the play-offs and got promoted with a team that would quite comfortably beat our team last season or this season.  

I don’t know how we would stay up in the Championship with a worse team that just got relegated from the Championship. 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:

It’s been said a million times before, but one more won’t hurt - we scraped finishing third, scraped through the play-offs and got promoted with a team that would quite comfortably beat our team last season or this season.  

I don’t know how we would stay up in the Championship with a worse team that just got relegated from the Championship. 
    We scraped finishing third yes i'd agree but this was with an injury list to players that teams around us did not suffer, we could have finished in the top two if injuries had been kinder.

The play offs we were deserved winners even if we had to do it the hard way.

Personally I think the three going up from League One won't pose much trouble in The Championship next season. Wycombe were 10th was it before lockdown?

Would we really have a worse team than the one that got relegated? probably a separate debate from this thread but assuming TS can buy the club and restrictions are lifted i'd certainly be confident of finishing above three of Luton, Barnsley, Rotherham, Coventry, Wycombe.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:

But if Taylor, Gallagher and Leko had finished the season we wouldn't have got relegated.
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:

But if Taylor, Gallagher and Leko had finished the season we wouldn't have got relegated.
    But they didn't.
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:

If my aunt had wheels she’d be a bike 
  • Options
    sammy391 said:
    sammy391 said:

We scraped finishing third yes i'd agree but this was with an injury list to players that teams around us did not suffer, we could have finished in the top two if injuries had been kinder.

The play offs we were deserved winners even if we had to do it the hard way.

Personally I think the three going up from League One won't pose much trouble in The Championship next season. Wycombe were 10th was it before lockdown?

Would we really have a worse team than the one that got relegated? probably a separate debate from this thread but assuming TS can buy the club and restrictions are lifted i'd certainly be confident of finishing above three of Luton, Barnsley, Rotherham, Coventry, Wycombe.
    I get what you’re saying but I respectfully disagree, I don’t think we’re better than any of the teams you mentioned - bar Wycombe and maybe Rotherham.  
  • Options
    It’s in the top hard basket for the EFL now. They doing what they always do no reply to emails and hoping it will go away. Perhaps if we get a decent owner we can sue them for loss of revenue.
  • Options
    in The Sun article is said the Indpenedent Commission did not want to strip the 12 points because it was too late in the season and they would not be able to fight their way out of it. What about poor old Wigan and Maclesfield ? They cheated and deserved relegation. I think TS would bankroll us in the championship to have a decent squad. 
  • Options
    If the EFL ran the legal system! Ok Fred West, we will give you 100 meters start and if we don't catch you we will let you off!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If only the EFL had a pair.
  • Options
    Quite 
  • Options
    They do.

Sheffield Wednesday and Derby.

And you can count on the Football League getting both wrong.
  • Options

• Options
    Quel surprise! No balls whatsoever!
  • Options
    Nah not surprised either - Imagine trying to sort out the EFL Trophy now?

Sheffield Wednesday wouldnt go into the Southern Draw in our place and wont just be a case of moving another Northern team down instead, as with League One / League Two teams they try to do the draw so that those teams dont have to do too much travelling
  • Options
    Well just have to do a Sheffield United and get compensation eventually. Weren't they fobbed off for years but eventually got compensation years after?
  • Options
    We'll just have to go for compensation now then.