Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungary no more

Comments

• Options
    Anyone else just waiting for the Darren Wincoop / Pete O’Roake / FootballInsider tweet announcing Dobson having a medical at Birmingham?
    Yes, but no doubt that’ll come after a week of rumours that he’s rejoining us.
  • Options
    With all due respect to folks on here who live there but Hungary is not a place I would want to be with a right wing nationalist government and Orban cozying more and more up to Putin 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Off Twitter, so no idea how trustworthy it is @Vjacheslav ?? -

If true, Dobson needs to sack his agent for encouraging him to sign this contract in the first place.
    Yeah, this is the bit I just don’t get.

I mentioned from the offset that it seemed a very strange move for someone with a young family who is clearly very close to parents. 

I don’t care how much money was being offered, the fact that it’s very rare that someone in Dobson’s position would make that move.

The only thing I can think off is either he was advised that he wouldn’t get a decent move, he panicked, or that they were trying to use that situation to leverage a better deal at Charlton.
  • Options
    So who won the unicum bet?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Off Twitter, so no idea how trustworthy it is @Vjacheslav ?? -

I know this guy. He mostly knows the true. The situation is now, that we still waiting for the official statement from the club. That is why they not add to the roster, and we did not post any media stuff from him.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Addick_8 said:
    It's chalk and cheese between how we and the Hungarian club handled this. The above post isn't far away at all.
    So Dobbo pulled out for family reasons and is no longer in Hungary?
    Yes, that is the rumor.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    With all due respect to folks on here who live there but Hungary is not a place I would want to be with a right wing nationalist government and Orban cozying more and more up to Putin 
    Nor me, but footballers are just passing through and generally live the lives of entitled expats. I always felt there would be more mundane issues for the Dobson family to worry about with very young pre-school age kids, which would apply in pretty much any European country he could have moved to. It didn't seem to me that they'd had much time to think about that before he signed the pre-contract. 

But I'm not buying his story of pulling out for family reasons either.

If I were a Fehervar fan, I'd want my club to sue his agent, but of course, it's never the agent's fault, as Willie McKay would insist.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ferryman said:
    I dont see Dobbo playing ahead of Menyhart Zsombor. Will Dobbo be happy playing second fiddle?
    He is leaving, as I know to Tatabanya.
    A second tier Hungarian club!
    Yes, this club is an old first league club, and they just came back from the third league. Menyhart is a youth player, he played last year at loan at Siofok, and also at our second team.
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    It's chalk and cheese between how we and the Hungarian club handled this. The above post isn't far away at all.
    Reading between the lines here:

so the Hungarian club has handled it well and is allowing him to scrap the contract he signed? 

But Dobson is still not happy with how we handled things previously so it would probably take a really good offer to sign him again? 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    Addick_8 said:

so the Hungarian club has handled it well and is allowing him to scrap the contract he signed? 

But Dobson is still not happy with how we handled things previously so it would probably take a really good offer to sign him again? 
    Question is who else would go in for him? Not a great look to have backed out of a contract whatever the reasons. His agents has got him in a real mess here
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    Addick_8 said:

Question is who else would go in for him? Not a great look to have backed out of a contract whatever the reasons. His agents has got him in a real mess here
    Don’t think it would put UK clubs off, but yeah if he isn’t going to Hungary it will be interesting to see what happens with him 

He has played abroad before, so I’m surprised at him backing out 
  • Options
    https://x.com/porkaresz/status/1808129225267839354

God knows how reliable this guy is though mind.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    Addick_8 said:

Have you seen the sort of shit football clubs are willing to overlook to sign a player? Absolutely no club in England is going to be put off signing someone because their contract with a club in Hungary didn’t work out. 
  • Options
    edited July 2
    fenaddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    Addick_8 said:

Don't think he would've done it, if he indeed has, unless he had another contract in place, more than likely with us
  • Options
    Hang on. He writes for Nemzeti Sport so they seem a bit tabloidy, but are a Hungarian sports daily. Article on Dobbo linked here (in Hungarian): https://www.nemzetisport.hu/labdarugo-nb-i/2024/07/fehervar-az-angol-kozeppalyas-visszamondta-a-szerzodeset-ns-info 

According to Nemzeti Sport, citing family reasons, English midfielder George Dobson, who grew up in Arsenal and signed with Fehérvár FC in the winter, canceled his contract with Fehérvár, the preliminary contract would have entered into force on July 1.

For months, the tug-of-war has been going on in Fehérvár around the 26-year-old midfielder George Dobson, who was recruited from the English third division Charlton. .

Dobson would have been acquired by Fehérvár FC from London already in the winter, but Charlton Athletic backed out at the last moment, even though the clubs had already verbally agreed, so the midfielder could not transfer to Hungary during the winter transfer period, he had to wait until his contract in London expired. In his last season, however, he stood out for himself, helping his team stay in the league with two goals and four assists in 43 championships. After that, however, he said goodbye to the club, despite the insistence of the team's fans and the manager, Nathan Jones. Charlton also said goodbye to him on their official website.

After that, on July 1st, he was supposed to join the Fehérvár team, which had changed coaches in the meantime - Tamás Pető took the place of Bartosz Grzelak, who had already negotiated with Dobson in the winter. We know that the midfielder arrived in Fehérvár last week and was supposed to be introduced this week, but he ended up canceling his contract citing family reasons. According to our information, he is no longer in Hungary.

The club did not wish to comment on the matter for the time being.

Our information related to Fehérvár is that the club has selected Dominik Csontos, a player from ETO FC Győr Fehérvár, to replace Bence Gergényi, who signed for Újpest this week. However, since the defender recently extended his contract with ETO, the question is whether Fehérvár would be able to reach an agreement with Győr on the signing of the player.

• Options
    ct_addick said:
    Nor me, but footballers are just passing through and generally live the lives of entitled expats. I always felt there would be more mundane issues for the Dobson family to worry about with very young pre-school age kids, which would apply in pretty much any European country he could have moved to. It didn't seem to me that they'd had much time to think about that before he signed the pre-contract. 

But I'm not buying his story of pulling out for family reasons either.

If I were a Fehervar fan, I'd want my club to sue his agent, but of course, it's never the agent's fault, as Willie McKay would insist.
    I'm not blame Dobbo for this situation.

The thing are changed at this summer. However we reach the europien spot, our old main sponsor's new team Ujpest signed our coach and they sent offers to our eight players, it is look like kind a vengance. Some of our player refused, the bigger money, and not join to this team, but some of them join. Two of our defenders already joined them, and they also want our playmaker, and goalkeeper too.

The situation is not easy, because without new main sponsor, we turn to focus on our youth players. The new manager is our fomer player, and his goal to build a new team. So the goals are changed, so that is the real reason why I think Dobbo is left our club.

We also had a discussion with Brentford but this story ended also, and we did not find new main sponsor too. 
  • Options
    Maybe we are resigning Dobson?
    With what JR said at the fans meeting he said pretty openly Dobson is welcome back? Jones clearly fancied him and spoke highly of him too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So Dobson is now a free agent - or am I missing something?
  • Options
    Can't believe we are here again and i hope we do re-sign Dobbo if possible on agreeable circumstances but its bizarre to believe  player who has signed a contract can just cancel he can't unless the other party agree to terminate as well.

Now that may be the case but im sure there will have to be some financial compensation either form Dobbo or whatever club he goes to. It may also be that the Hungarians have over committed financially and are willing to mutually agree a termination.
  • Options
    edited July 2
    Reminds me of the excitement of signing Jeremy Goss only for us to cancel his contract and let him sign for Hearts instead. A sliding doors moment for CAFC...contracts don't mean much apparently 
  • Options
    If there’s no compensation to pay it feels like a bit of a no brainer. Egg on our face yes, but a fans favourite returns and a bit less business left to do. A Coventry, Dobson, Berry midfield is good for this level 
  • Options
    #DOBBACK
  • Options
    F**k me this site amazes sometimes