Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungary no more

Comments

• Options
    Looks like he could be going to Arsenal, which would be a surprise

Although not sure why they've spelt his name wrong, AND why he's in an Italy shirt... Beats me!!

• Options
    I feel like the likelihood of him coming back would be relatively low, despite the emotional ties we had.

We couldn't agree wage terms via Scott whilst he was still contracted at the club, and whilst things may have changed a bit, I doubt we're going to offer substantially more than what we did. As a free agent, Dobbo has his pick of clubs - this means the Birminghams, the Wrexhams of this league (if not maybe a few lower Championship sides) will be able to offer better wages.

As much as we may will it, I think it's unlikely he comes back. If we swallow our pride and dip into pockets significantly, it could shift to a maybe. Even then, he may think this chapter is over and he wants a new challenge.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    Offical, he is out

Who and from what?
    I read this as meaning he’s left the Hungarian club on a free transfer and is now a F/A
  • Options
  • Options
    You can shove off if you think you're getting £75,000 though!
  • Options
    I expect Dobson will be off to the Championship.  But I hope not. 
  • Options
    If I were in charge I would at least offer him a lucrative one year contract while he sorts himself out from any unsettlement.
    If at the end of the season we are promoted, then George is not a lot older and the situation can be reviewed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dobbo will go to Wrexham
  • Options
    felix_31 said:
    I expect Dobson will be off to the Championship.  But I hope not. 
    I doubt it.
  • Options
    edited July 3
    3 questions -

- Not saying he won't now go, but if Dobbo could've gone to a championship side, why go to Hungary in the first place?

- Are Vidi in the Europa League and if they are, is that really a massive draw?

- If he does now end up in the Championship, what's changed from a Championship club's perspective?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    3 questions -

- Not saying he won't now go, but if Dobbo could've gone to a championship side, why go to Hungary in the first place?

- If he does now end up in the Championship, what's changed from a Championship club's perspective?
    It sounds little like this Hungarian side thought they were going to be richer than they are and probably went a bit buckwild with the cash and made George a great offer only to have a sponsor pull out so now needing to pullback on a lot things, bet they're glad we didn't take the cash in January now! 
  • Options
    edited July 3
    The longer this Dobson saga drags on the less likely he will roll up at Sparrows Lane any time soon, in fact this is just the sort of scenario where Birmingham and their recent guaranteed 20 a season goal scorer will be on the phone to him toot sweet...just saying
    But whatever happens, just get it sorted George ffs one way or another, so we can all get on with our lives...
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    RedRobin said:
    Genuinely don’t believe Dobbo is coming back, reckon he will have other offers.
    Certainly be interesting to see where he ends up, if not back with us.
    Depending on what he said to get out of the contract could limit his options.

if he’s said he needs to be in London with his family then signs for a team in Scotland/France/spain, you could have a Simon Jordan v Sloth Dowie scenario where there is a claim that he’s lied to get out his contract 

fenaddick said:
    Maybe we’ll find out when someone talks to his Dad at the Dartford game 
    He used the family excuse to get out of the contract.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    3 questions -

It sounds little like this Hungarian side thought they were going to be richer than they are and probably went a bit buckwild with the cash and made George a great offer only to have a sponsor pull out so now needing to pullback on a lot things, bet they're glad we didn't take the cash in January now! 
    The contract was signed though, so the club would surely have to honour it. I don't think a club can say to a contracted player 'sorry we can't afford you now we need to cancel your deal', as otherwise relegated clubs could just cancel the contracts of any high earning players they didn't want.

Seems Dobson (or his family) had second thoughts, spoke to the club and as they weren't exactly bothered because they needed to reduce spending, a cancellation of the deal has worked for both parties.
  • Options
    The longer this Dobson saga drags on the less likely he will roll up at Sparrows Lane any time soon, in fact this is just the sort of scenario where Birmingham and their recent guaranteed 20 a season goal scorer will be on the phone to him toot sweet...just saying
    But whatever happens, just get it sorted George ffs one way or another, so we can all get on with our lives...
    Unless it’s Charlton who orchestrated or advised the cancellation of the contract so he could return. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    3 questions -

They are in the new 3rd competition, the Conference. The one West Ham won. But Vidi enter at a much earlier stage and its quite possible that they could be out and finished before September. Hard to say how important it might have seemed to Dobbo. He certainly could have thought it unlikely he’d have a chance to play in Euro comps anywhere else in his career, almost certainly not if he stayed in England. I’m sure it featured in the pitch to him in Jan.
  • Options
    edited July 3
    ross1 said:
    If he does come back, do not forget it takes the OS at least two days after everyone finds out before they announce it 🥴
    WIOCL...🙄
  • Options
    Wonder if the change in personal circumstances involve that twat of a bald Manager!!
    Which one?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Leuth said:
    On the Dobson and Coventry combo not working maybe it wasn't George that was the problem.

And yes, Jones played Coventry a lot but he also picked Hector and Thomas nearly every week.
    For someone who styles himself as an indispensable club employee, you're really the most abominable cunt to any player you deem unworthy of Charlton's rich history. Conor Coventry is quite obviously a very good player who tries hard and maybe needs a bit of time to bed into a system, and you're insinuating in classic Weasel Irving style that he's 'the problem'. You do this so often with so many players, it's an absolute wonder anyone ever puts up with you. I usually try to ignore the mountain of absolute shit that you type but I really can't here. Get fucked, as usual
    A Joey Barton-esque eruption there.  Made me genuinely LOL
    Stopped short of calling him a 'museum n**ce', thankfully.
    My lawyers will be in touch : - )
    At around 1.13pm, I published a post which accused Mr Hayes of having a sexual interest in museums (I think?  I get confused), which was viewed at least 4 times.

I recognise that this is a very serious allegation.  It is untrue.  I do not believe that Mr Hayes has a sexual interest in museums.  Honest.
    Could we start a 'Would ya?' thread for museums? I would like to nominate the pencil museum in Keswick.
    I’ll nominate The Crab Museum in Margate
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Oggy Red said:
    IanJRO said:
    Swisdom said:
    Not to put a downer on things but I believe Leyton Orient were keen on Dobbo and their training ground is a stones throw from his gaff 
    and they are definitely heading in the right direction with seriously ambitious plans for the next decade

i wouldnt ignore them
    Imagine losing out on a player because they couldn't be arsed with the Blackwall tunnel! 
    They could get a lift with Curbs, p'raps?

Curbs just walks across the water, piggy back perhaps.
    Another of his miracles: Curbs can also turn wine into water :)

• Options
    It's pretty much 50/50 on the swingometer.

At first glance, I thought this was for the crab and pencil museum crumpetometer.