Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungary no more

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Don’t expect Dobbo in on Tuesday. Don’t forget he’s got a sore calf!
    Was that part of his signing on fee? -

That looks more like our defence at the moment.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    To be fair Dobson had best pull his socks up and get stuck in, if he doesn't I'd bench him and keep benching him til he gets that we need him at his best, not protecting himself. 
    Yeah that'll teach him. What else we going to do, ground him and send him to his room?
  • Options
    Well, it seems like someone at the club who actually understands football, has realised how important Dobson could be in a relegation fight and has stood their ground. Thank Christ. 

Some of the comments not understanding the move to Hungary are quite amusing for me. 

Videoton/Fehervar have been competing in Europe and getting results/competing in recent years against the likes of: Chelsea, Ludogrets, Malmo, AEK Athens, Partizan, PAOK, Bordeaux, Reims, Köln. Do you genuinely not understand how bad the likes of those clubs would smash us to fkn pieces on the pitch 😂 Play league 1 footie surrounded by players who look like they've won a competition and don't put in half the effort you do, or, join a team that competes to win their league and is willing to pay you a very fair wage in a nice country. What a decision.

Suspect it's the people with the same view that Rangers wasn't a big move at the time for Aribo. It's a brilliant move for Dobson at this stage of his career. 

When it's all said and done, he will be able to say he played European football for one of the best teams in a different country, OR he could say, he scraped by, year after year for a club that's been mismanaged by absolute crooks in League 1. 

In an ideal world, he would have stayed, and he would have been one of the main people in charge of a promotion challenging team. Unfortunately, getting a senior role at Charlton is the easiest job application in the world apparently, and his situation has been completely mismanaged. 

Good luck to Dobson. I hope he can help keep us in this poxy league for another year, and we can wipe the stains from the club that currently have far too much say, next season. 👍🏻

For me it’s nothing to do with the perceived quality of league etc. I understand that a footballers career is very finite, and ultimately they need to try and make as much money, and play at the highest level they can, during the period they play. 

If he was a single bloke, then maybe, but I just don’t understand why with a very young family, you would make such a move unless it was for an absolutely life changing wage - which I just don’t think it will be.

With 6 months left on his contract it just tells me that they know they won’t get an offer better than what Charlton offered from another English team. 

• Options
    edited February 12
    red10 said:
    Car crash of a club to let CBT and Dobbo go at a very critical / pivotal time for our battle. Must be as thick as bricks imho.
    The madness being the £500k or whatever it is we picked up for CBT will be far outweighed by the losses we'll make in League Two. 

Absolute bellends.

I’m not defending anyone here necessarily, but if a player (I’m talking about CBT here, not Dobbo) really wants to leave, particularly if it’s for personal reasons, can you really stop him? He’s only got to hint that he won’t be performing at his best if retained, for a club to realise there’s no point in hanging on to him. 
    Sadly, it happens in football, as it does in other sports and other industries. 
    Of course legally you could keep him in the reserves til his contract’s up, but that doesn’t help either party.  
  • Options
    Well, it seems like someone at the club who actually understands football, has realised how important Dobson could be in a relegation fight and has stood their ground. Thank Christ. 

Some of the comments not understanding the move to Hungary are quite amusing for me. 

Videoton/Fehervar have been competing in Europe and getting results/competing in recent years against the likes of: Chelsea, Ludogrets, Malmo, AEK Athens, Partizan, PAOK, Bordeaux, Reims, Köln. Do you genuinely not understand how bad the likes of those clubs would smash us to fkn pieces on the pitch 😂 Play league 1 footie surrounded by players who look like they've won a competition and don't put in half the effort you do, or, join a team that competes to win their league and is willing to pay you a very fair wage in a nice country. What a decision.

Suspect it's the people with the same view that Rangers wasn't a big move at the time for Aribo. It's a brilliant move for Dobson at this stage of his career. 

When it's all said and done, he will be able to say he played European football for one of the best teams in a different country, OR he could say, he scraped by, year after year for a club that's been mismanaged by absolute crooks in League 1. 

In an ideal world, he would have stayed, and he would have been one of the main people in charge of a promotion challenging team. Unfortunately, getting a senior role at Charlton is the easiest job application in the world apparently, and his situation has been completely mismanaged. 

Good luck to Dobson. I hope he can help keep us in this poxy league for another year, and we can wipe the stains from the club that currently have far too much say, next season. 👍🏻

For me it’s nothing to do with the perceived quality of league etc. I understand that a footballers career is very finite, and ultimately they need to try and make as much money, and play at the highest level they can, during the period they play. 

If he was a single bloke, then maybe, but I just don’t understand why with a very young family, you would make such a move unless it was for an absolutely life changing wage - which I just don’t think it will be.

With 6 months left on his contract it just tells me that they know they won’t get an offer better than what Charlton offered from another English team. 

Don't know what he earns here, but it's more than possible for him to be getting towards £1m with bonuses etc at the new club plus a decent signing on fee, Hungary has very low tax rates as well (flat 15% on income), so likely he'd need to earn at least 50% more in the UK to net the same. 

Plus many people see working abroad for a period as an adventure and an opportunity.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 12
    Rob7Lee said:

Don't know what he earns here, but it's more than possible for him to be getting towards £1m with bonuses etc at the new club plus a decent signing on fee, Hungary has very low tax rates as well (flat 15% on income), so likely he'd need to earn at least 50% more in the UK to net the same. 

Plus many people see working abroad for a period as an adventure and an opportunity.

I can’t speak for other people or George Dobson, but I don’t think in life when you have a baby, that you are looking for adventure at that point. 

Just doing some research and the average salary seems to be about £8,500 a month. However Ferenacvos will pay significantly better and you have to expect George will be one of the higher earners in that team as well. 

However there needs to be a massive increase to the average to make it anywhere near a million a year. 
  • Options
    The CBT loan is understandable, the player wanted to go, was faking an injury to get the move, and had downed tools
  • Options
    Whilst on the face of it, it's not great to let CBT go during a relegation battle, if the player didn't want to be here and had openly expressed a desire to leave then i don't have an issue with it. Would he have been that motivated for us in the run in? Even Pep wouldn't keep a player who didn't want to be at the club.

Dobson is different though, as he's a player who you know will still put the effort in, and in an ideal world wouldn't leave had he got a proper contract offer.
  • Options
    Considering how (rightly) obsessed people here are with Charlton's mid-20th-century heyday, it's surprising we don't pay similar respects to Hungary, whose own heyday was at the same time and saw them as the best side in the world.

Shame it's taken a hard-right ultranationalist government to see sorting out football as a means to the people's hearts (political post alert! oh no!) but maybe there's a lesson here for more liberal governments too. Not that in this country, enough people will see football as needing to be sorted out, seeing as most seem to be fans of the Premiership elite. I digress!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

I can’t speak for other people or George Dobson, but I don’t think in life when you have a baby, that you are looking for adventure at that point. 

Just doing some research and the average salary seems to be about £8,500 a month. However Ferenacvos will pay significantly better and you have to expect George will be one of the higher earners in that team as well. 

However there needs to be a massive increase to the average to make it anywhere near a million a year. 
    8500 is an avarage, convert with hungarin tax rates for the players this equils 12K. The key is the avarage, becasue this also included the young players too. The top earners at most are higher. At ferencvaros much more higher.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

That's all well and good, but he hasn't signed for Ferencvaros.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

That's all well and good, but he hasn't signed for Ferencvaros.
    But the top earners at Puskas akademy, and also Videoton is higher too. Puskas akademy already have an english player. https://www.transfermarkt.com/brandon-ormonde-ottewill/profil/spieler/242651
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

If Dobson earns £11-12K pw there which seems possible based on your post then his take home will be equivalent to him earning £1M pa here.  

Even at lower levels the difference is huge due to the tax. 

Let's imagine we agreed to pay £6K pw.  So £312K pa = £172K after tax in UK.  Then assume the Hungarian club agreed £8.5K pw - doesn't seem unreasonable based on your post above = £376K take home, so a little over double, and in 3 years sets him up for life.  
  • Options
    @Vjacheslav

Good morning. It's great that you educate all of us with facts and insights about HU football and your club. We often have to do similar to "ignorant" outsiders, because we are obsessive about our club, as you are, and we all recognise you as 'one of us" a proper fan who goes away games. 

But when football professionals in the UK (as opposed to fans) question whether moving to the NB1 is a career move for Dobbo they are looking at it in a global context. HU is very much like CZ; population about 10mill, ex communist country in Central Europe with a football pedigree (actually similar traditional playing style - the Vienna school - according to some). What you wrote about the recent improvement in HU, is similar to what I see here in CZ, with the exception that politicians here have not been involved, thankfully. But these two leagues struggle, not least because the best players will always be quickly lured away to the bigger Euro leagues.

The average attendance in NB1 was the best since 2011/12. It was 3,539. You mention Puskas Academy, one place behind your lot in the table. Isn't it fair to describe this club as basically completely artificial, playing  in a village with a population of 1,500 - that just happens to be Orban's home village? Despite their success Puskas Academy saw the lowest attendance in the last year, recorded as exactly 800. 

Dobbo has regularly played at the Valley in front of 15,000 plus. He captained us at Old Trafford in front of 60,000. I'm not sure of the average in L1 but it's more than 3,500, for sure. In May 2019 we reached the L1 playoffs. My neighbour, a big Sparta Prague fan, loved my enthusiasm and wondered if he could come with me, but I could see his scepticism. He had heard that in the semi-final home leg we had sold out th Valley (25,500). But Wembley, he didn't believe we could f it. When we started the journey across London to get there, and the trains were awash with Charlton fans, he started to wonder. When the teams came out, and Wembley was full, he finally had to accept it. There were 78,000 fans in there for a Third Division game. And it was not just us and Sunderland. It is the same each season for that game

This is far from the end of the argument either - but I have got to go out so I'll stop here. I'm just putting a different context on the "opportunity" awaiting Dobbo.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

If Dobson earns £11-12K pw there which seems possible based on your post then his take home will be equivalent to him earning £1M pa here.  

Even at lower levels the difference is huge due to the tax. 

Let's imagine we agreed to pay £6K pw.  So £312K pa = £172K after tax in UK.  Then assume the Hungarian club agreed £8.5K pw - doesn't seem unreasonable based on your post above = £376K take home, so a little over double, and in 3 years sets him up for life.  
    Think you misread my post. The average salary is £8,500 a month, which is like £2,000 per week.  I’m sure he is being offered more than that, but £10,000 a week more?
  • Options
    One thing that has puzzled me throughout this, is how did they scout Dobson?

It's not like there's any connections (that i can see), like an English manager or coach there who'd previously worked with him. It's not a league renowned for having many English players there either. And if he wasn't scouted then it would also seem a pretty random club for the agent of a league one English club to contact.

Does anyone with inside info (no not you Ronnie) know how this all came about?
  • Options
    @Vjacheslav

Good morning. It's great that you educate all of us with facts and insights about HU football and your club. We often have to do similar to "ignorant" outsiders, because we are obsessive about our club, as you are, and we all recognise you as 'one of us" a proper fan who goes away games. 

But when football professionals in the UK (as opposed to fans) question whether moving to the NB1 is a career move for Dobbo they are looking at it in a global context. HU is very much like CZ; population about 10mill, ex communist country in Central Europe with a football pedigree (actually similar traditional playing style - the Vienna school - according to some). What you wrote about the recent improvement in HU, is similar to what I see here in CZ, with the exception that politicians here have not been involved, thankfully. But these two leagues struggle, not least because the best players will always be quickly lured away to the bigger Euro leagues.

The average attendance in NB1 was the best since 2011/12. It was 3,539. You mention Puskas Academy, one place behind your lot in the table. Isn't it fair to describe this club as basically completely artificial, playing  in a village with a population of 1,500 - that just happens to be Orban's home village? Despite their success Puskas Academy saw the lowest attendance in the last year, recorded as exactly 800. 

Dobbo has regularly played at the Valley in front of 15,000 plus. He captained us at Old Trafford in front of 60,000. I'm not sure of the average in L1 but it's more than 3,500, for sure. In May 2019 we reached the L1 playoffs. My neighbour, a big Sparta Prague fan, loved my enthusiasm and wondered if he could come with me, but I could see his scepticism. He had heard that in the semi-final home leg we had sold out th Valley (25,500). But Wembley, he didn't believe we could f it. When we started the journey across London to get there, and the trains were awash with Charlton fans, he started to wonder. When the teams came out, and Wembley was full, he finally had to accept it. There were 78,000 fans in there for a Third Division game. And it was not just us and Sunderland. It is the same each season for that game

This is far from the end of the argument either - but I have got to go out so I'll stop here. I'm just putting a different context on the "opportunity" awaiting Dobbo.
    I know our numbers, and also know the other leagues.
    I love the big matches with 10+ crowd. I was at cologne at the playoff 45k attendance, when we beat Köln, and also at the home game.
    I also went several times to the national team matches with more than 60K people attendance. I have a ticket also for the match against scotland at Stuttgart at the EURO 2024. As I know we have 500k ticket request for this match, I'm so lucky to get a ticket for this match.
    I see your point. I know that our team is not a dream of Dobbo, but it can be a next step for his carrier. 
    It is journey for him, and maybe at the europian compatition can help him to highlight his performance for bigger clubs, I know my club is just a station, not a destination for him. 
  • Options

It's not like there's any connections (that i can see), like an English manager or coach there who'd previously worked with him. It's not a league renowned for having many English players there either. And if he wasn't scouted then it would also seem a pretty random club for the agent of a league one English club to contact.

I'm sure I saw someone say they had a scout who had been based at an English club. 
  • Options

It has been covered above. Hungarian scout named Tamas Balogh ( havent double checked name/spelling) who is now at Brentford, previously with Fehervar. Confirmed by @Vjacheslav