Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungary no more

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Well, it seems like someone at the club who actually understands football, has realised how important Dobson could be in a relegation fight and has stood their ground. Thank Christ. 

Some of the comments not understanding the move to Hungary are quite amusing for me. 

Videoton/Fehervar have been competing in Europe and getting results/competing in recent years against the likes of: Chelsea, Ludogrets, Malmo, AEK Athens, Partizan, PAOK, Bordeaux, Reims, Köln. Do you genuinely not understand how bad the likes of those clubs would smash us to fkn pieces on the pitch 😂 Play league 1 footie surrounded by players who look like they've won a competition and don't put in half the effort you do, or, join a team that competes to win their league and is willing to pay you a very fair wage in a nice country. What a decision.

Suspect it's the people with the same view that Rangers wasn't a big move at the time for Aribo. It's a brilliant move for Dobson at this stage of his career. 

When it's all said and done, he will be able to say he played European football for one of the best teams in a different country, OR he could say, he scraped by, year after year for a club that's been mismanaged by absolute crooks in League 1. 

In an ideal world, he would have stayed, and he would have been one of the main people in charge of a promotion challenging team. Unfortunately, getting a senior role at Charlton is the easiest job application in the world apparently, and his situation has been completely mismanaged. 

Good luck to Dobson. I hope he can help keep us in this poxy league for another year, and we can wipe the stains from the club that currently have far too much say, next season. 👍🏻

For me it’s nothing to do with the perceived quality of league etc. I understand that a footballers career is very finite, and ultimately they need to try and make as much money, and play at the highest level they can, during the period they play. 

If he was a single bloke, then maybe, but I just don’t understand why with a very young family, you would make such a move unless it was for an absolutely life changing wage - which I just don’t think it will be.

With 6 months left on his contract it just tells me that they know they won’t get an offer better than what Charlton offered from another English team. 

Don't know what he earns here, but it's more than possible for him to be getting towards £1m with bonuses etc at the new club plus a decent signing on fee, Hungary has very low tax rates as well (flat 15% on income), so likely he'd need to earn at least 50% more in the UK to net the same. 

Plus many people see working abroad for a period as an adventure and an opportunity.

I can’t speak for other people or George Dobson, but I don’t think in life when you have a baby, that you are looking for adventure at that point. 

Just doing some research and the average salary seems to be about £8,500 a month. However Ferenacvos will pay significantly better and you have to expect George will be one of the higher earners in that team as well. 

However there needs to be a massive increase to the average to make it anywhere near a million a year. 
    That's all well and good, but he hasn't signed for Ferencvaros.
    Oh, wow, not sure why I thought it was Ferencvaros.

I’ve actually been to Székesfehérvár/Fehérvár
    where Dobson will be based, on my way to Lake Balaton one year.

All I can really remember of that time is an awful tasting drink called ‘Unicum’. 
    I like Unicum, but next time you better try palinka.
  • Options
    One thing that has puzzled me throughout this, is how did they scout Dobson?

It's not like there's any connections (that i can see), like an English manager or coach there who'd previously worked with him. It's not a league renowned for having many English players there either. And if he wasn't scouted then it would also seem a pretty random club for the agent of a league one English club to contact.

Does anyone with inside info (no not you Ronnie) know how this all came about?
    Recommended to the club by a scout with links to Brentford apparently 
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:
    To be fair Dobson had best pull his socks up and get stuck in, if he doesn't I'd bench him and keep benching him til he gets that we need him at his best, not protecting himself. 
    Yeah that'll teach him. What else we going to do, ground him and send him to his room?

without any supper...
  • Options

It's not like there's any connections (that i can see), like an English manager or coach there who'd previously worked with him. It's not a league renowned for having many English players there either. And if he wasn't scouted then it would also seem a pretty random club for the agent of a league one English club to contact.

It has been covered above. Hungarian scout named Tamas Balogh ( havent double checked name/spelling) who is now at Brentford, previously with Fehervar. Confirmed by @Vjacheslav
    Cheers, i missed that then.
  • Options
    So Charlton (I don’t know who individually to address any more given our convoluted structure) is he injured or not?

If not why were we told otherwise?

is that how to treat your supporters?
  • Options
    Well, it seems like someone at the club who actually understands football, has realised how important Dobson could be in a relegation fight and has stood their ground. Thank Christ. 

Some of the comments not understanding the move to Hungary are quite amusing for me. 

Videoton/Fehervar have been competing in Europe and getting results/competing in recent years against the likes of: Chelsea, Ludogrets, Malmo, AEK Athens, Partizan, PAOK, Bordeaux, Reims, Köln. Do you genuinely not understand how bad the likes of those clubs would smash us to fkn pieces on the pitch 😂 Play league 1 footie surrounded by players who look like they've won a competition and don't put in half the effort you do, or, join a team that competes to win their league and is willing to pay you a very fair wage in a nice country. What a decision.

Suspect it's the people with the same view that Rangers wasn't a big move at the time for Aribo. It's a brilliant move for Dobson at this stage of his career. 

When it's all said and done, he will be able to say he played European football for one of the best teams in a different country, OR he could say, he scraped by, year after year for a club that's been mismanaged by absolute crooks in League 1. 

In an ideal world, he would have stayed, and he would have been one of the main people in charge of a promotion challenging team. Unfortunately, getting a senior role at Charlton is the easiest job application in the world apparently, and his situation has been completely mismanaged. 

Good luck to Dobson. I hope he can help keep us in this poxy league for another year, and we can wipe the stains from the club that currently have far too much say, next season. 👍🏻

Thank you for this. So many good memories, and trips.
    All good, thanks for signing up and sharing your views as a Fehervar fan. 

I plan on doing a lot of travelling in the near future, and provided Dobson does end up at your club, I'll be sure to go and watch a game there when I visit Hungary 👍🏻

If you do end up with him, you genuinely have a brilliant player for your club, and he will shine surrounded by better players imo. I hope he gets the platform he deserves, I am genuinely gutted that it isn't going to be with us.
    "Better players", you might be surprised at the standard out there.
    I don't think I will be tbh, I can take a look at some of the results they've achieved, and watch my team struggle against the likes of Northampton, Port Vale, Burton and Carlisle, and assume the football is of a higher quality. Hungarian football is probably at it's best it's been in a long time right now and producing some very decent talents, a lot of which finding themselves competing for sides in the Bundesliga.

If we can't beat the teams I've mentioned this season, there's no doubt in my mind that these top flight European teams would shred us to pieces, and employ a much higher standard of footballer than what we watch most of the time. 

Aberdeen sit 9th in the Scottish prem and made us look like part timers in pre-season. 
    I was not comparing them to us.  I was talking about Hungarian football in general.
    In generally better, than 10 or 20 years ago. My first ever match was against United at 1985. We won the game with penalties. I was 4 year old child, I didn't remember anything just a crowd. In 1986 Hungary play at the world cup, but lose against sovjet union, and that time is the begening of the decline of hungarian futball. I was grow up at the our stadium, from late 80's, early 90's. That time the quality of the hungarian futball was highly declined. At late 90's we always fight agains the relegation, and finaly we relegated to the second league. Next year we won the second league with record point and goals, and promoted to the first league again. That time there was no money at the league, there was a lot of furtune kinght, the payments were late, or pay less than agreed. The players betting against the own match, and cheat to get big money. That was the darkest era of hungarian futball, and the crowd left from stadiums in increasingly poor condition. Many teams disappeared or were relegated to lower leagues.
    At the late 20's the goverment (fidesz) push money to the futball, builted a lot of stadiums, add money to youth development incrase the insfrastructure, build a lot of pitches everyvery at the country. And also builted akademys.
    That time we also received the new owner, how is currently our owner too. He pushed a lot of money to the club, and our stadium is also rebuilded at that time. We won our first leauge title at 2011. From that time we participant the europien compettitions.
    Nowdays mlsz has discussion with the clubs to incrase the number of the teams. They also pay for young players playtime to the clubs.
    So now the hungarian futball is much better than 10 years ago. We made the European Championship for the third time in a row. Maybe you remember our last match between England, and Hungary at Wolverhampton.
    We also have a player at premier league, I think you know him Dominik Szoboszlai. He is born in my city Szekesfehervar, and start playing at my club, but his father founded the small youth club called Főnix, and he gow up at this small futball workshop.
    Currently the clubs have bigger budget, than before, and able to sign better foregin players, and also lot of talents came from the academys. And also a lot of talents move to abroad to the youth leagues, also to England.   
    Every single fan on here will remember Fehervar legend Loic Nego as well.

Geek time:
    Loïc Négo played only 1 game for Cafc. 
    Négo the French born player, played 59 games for France from U16 to U20.
    His first words of English spoken to his colleagues at Cafc were "I'm not Full back"
    Quote told by Morgan Fox in Spain on the summer break when big Bob Peeters first took over.

Négo played 232 games for Fehérvár which really isn't too shabby plus after becoming eligible for Hungary played 33 times for the national side. At 33 he is back in France playing for Le Havre.

When ever I saw Négo play for Hungary he appeared to play as a wing back and I believe this is what he meant as Rhoys Wiggins said, Peeters liked full backs to hold their positions and only get forward if the game was already won. Both Wiggins and Négo were at their best bombing forward.

There is always a back story to why players look pony at Cafc and why they find success else where...

Just look at the successful career of Simon Francis at Bournemouth where he went from no confidence after getting pelters from Charlton critics to being captain of a premier side after the journey up the divisions.
    Nego is an attacking wing back. RWB, he can also abel to play as RW, but we used him as a CM too. Nego loved to attack, but his discipline was not so strong enough sometimes, and he didn't comeback to defend or late. If you had an midfilder, or defender to cover his side till he come back. He is usefull player with a big work rate, and create a chance for the teamates or score a goals, at any level such as international competitions.
    He played with Griezman at france u19/u20, and he also world champions with france. Griezman is friend of him.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    What an absolute mess Methven and Scott are making of running this club.  Everything they seem to touch goes wrong.  We may have serious backers, but if they are that serious, then they’ll look at these two and think, clowns.
    And take Gerry Adams with them.
  • Options

It has been covered above. Hungarian scout named Tamas Balogh ( havent double checked name/spelling) who is now at Brentford, previously with Fehervar. Confirmed by @Vjacheslav
    As I know our Manager is also have a connection point to english players from that agency too. Hennin Berg is came from the same agency. The manager is also a key for the transfers. Like Paulo Sousa alos found Caneira, Filipe Oliveira, and Stopira, and other spanish players too. At Nicolic area we had players from balkan, like Lazovic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Braziliance

obviously I don’t know how you are fixed for time and money, but you can get cheap flights and decent accomm in Budapest between now and a bit before Easter. Yes, go
    and take in an NB1 game but not a big derby involving Ferencvaros. Maybe Ujpest against a club from outside the capital. And vlog that. Based on my 30 years of trying and failing to love the Czech league, I think you will find it an eye-opener.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    We all love Dobbo (well most of us), his efforts, the tackles he puts in, the yards he covers, the occasional goal he scores...

But here's the thing, we shouldn't need him. We only need him because we're shit. He's there's to cover the numerous errors his team mates make. Neither of the teams that got promoted out of this pony division needed a Dobbo,.because both teams had more quality, made less mistakes and controlled the play better.

I don't want us to keep him next season, I want us to build a team that no longer needs him.
    keith jones was exactly what dobbo is - kishishev was also a dobbo 
    Was thinking this exactly. The team needs a spine, bedrock, call it whatever you like.
  • Options
    Now this might just be a coincidence or me adding 2and 2 and making 5

Dobbo came to us from Sunderland where they didn't have a high opinion of our Dobbo, also Methven was involved at Sunderland ..... just saying
  • Options
    edited February 12
    Some good posts on here.

Justifiable outrage from fans at the unprofessional and disrespectful treatment of our most valuable player and club Captain, when we need him most. 

The Dobson issue has been handled disgracefully.  Yet another shambles. Not only have Scott et al managed to weaken the team at a critical time, they have managed to demotivate the remainder of the squad in the face of a tough relegation battle. 

How much more evidence do the owner's need to convince them that the 8+8 Red Trouser Brigade are incompetent ?

Scott should be shown the door and take Rodwell with him. That will free up some wage budget for those that make a positive contribution to the club. 

They should also request another £1 million buy in from each ownership member for a transfer kitty in the summer. Watch Methven shit himself and hand back his shares 
  • Options
    edited February 12
  • Options
    Just been watching a superb/hilarious interview with Terry Hurlock - well worth a watch BTW and it got me thinking...

The nearest thing we've got to a Terry Hurlock, is George Dobson. I know times have changed blah blah BUT nearly every successful team needs at least one player who can put his foot in and at least get about the opposition midfield. In George Dobson, we actually do have that player. I know he is also part of the problem (he's not been playing especially well) but he can also be a big part of the solution. Like most lower league players, he has his limitations but what player doesn't? And who is to say that with a coach like Jones, he might even improve his technical ability/nous a bit. 

I'm not saying Dobson is as good as Hurlock was (he's not nearly as good) but he's got a lot of the same attributes. He's fit, he doesn't stop and he appears to know his limitations. He's also got a big heart and we're a bit short on big hearts these days. 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Love the fact that every comment I've made has been greeted with a LOL. Jesus....some people (hope this gets my lol count up ha!)
    You must realise by now that if you have an opinion that differs from the pitch fork wielding folk on here, you get dismissed with a lol.
  • Options
    @Braziliance

obviously I don’t know how you are fixed for time and money, but you can get cheap flights and decent accomm in Budapest between now and a bit before Easter. Yes, go
    and take in an NB1 game but not a big derby involving Ferencvaros. Maybe Ujpest against a club from outside the capital. And vlog that. Based on my 30 years of trying and failing to love the Czech league, I think you will find it an eye-opener.
    Is it worst that he go for example MTK agianst Puskas Akademy. Ferencvaros have a biggest fan base, and also biggest away attandance. (because they have local fans everywhere, and also popular to support ferencvaros because of they results) Debrecen, Diósgyőr, and ujpest, and our team have a good fan base at hungarian level. Kispest also but they relegated to second division. The problem with the attendances is a side affect of the political becground. If any fidesz related politican support any team, and add money that team, caused that small non traditional frist league teams like kisvarda, mezokövesd stay at the first leagu without history. No big fan base, no chants, shit atmoshere. There is also one piece for the puzzle there is some connection for this clubs with foreign areas. Like kisvarda has a connection with players from ukraine. Zalaegerszeg has a connecton to a slovenian team Lendava. Gyor has a connection to slovakian DAC. Some forign teams also got some money from Hungary. Topolya, at serbia, Osijek at croatia, Sepsi at romania becuase those areas was originally part of Hungary. Also built akademies, and stadiums in those areas. There is still no trust in football, they are trying to support it a little artificially, and since it permeates many politicians, many look at it with distaste.
    Perhaps the national team and Ferencvaros are the exception now.
  • Options
    arny23394 said:
    Why a bloke would willing buy and drink a beverage called unicum is a bigger mystery than what’s going on with Dobson. 
    I know. I know. But it's actually pretty good, trust me 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    We all love Dobbo (well most of us), his efforts, the tackles he puts in, the yards he covers, the occasional goal he scores...

But here's the thing, we shouldn't need him. We only need him because we're shit. He's there's to cover the numerous errors his team mates make. Neither of the teams that got promoted out of this pony division needed a Dobbo,.because both teams had more quality, made less mistakes and controlled the play better.

I don't want us to keep him next season, I want us to build a team that no longer needs him.
    keith jones was exactly what dobbo is - kishishev was also a dobbo 
    I wouldn't compare Kishishev to Dobson that much really. They're similar in that they're both incredibly tenacious and hard-working but Kish was a player who had so much on-pitch discipline. Need him to play right back? He'll assault Cristiano Ronaldo until the ref legally has to step in. Need someone to hold the midfield and keep things ticking over? He will. Need someone to just stand in the middle and kick everything? You got it. Right midfield to offset an attacking winger in a 442? Yep. Kish would stick to his role incredibly well and made up for some of his technical failings with an unbreakable focus on the task. Dobson is a more limited player from a tactical perspective; if he's the deepest midfielder he needs to be on his own or he'll disappear and get lost and he really struggles with holding his position. He stops a lot of goals by winning the ball back aggressively but we also concede a fair few because he's got drawn to the ball and there's been a late run for a cutback and there's no-one there to stop it. Dobson is better technically than he's given credit for but he needs to adapt his mentality to be able to fit the role he's given more if he wants to have a career like Kishishev did
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    arny23394 said:
    Why a bloke would willing buy and drink a beverage called unicum is a bigger mystery than what’s going on with Dobson. 
    I know. I know. But it's actually pretty good, trust me 
    One of my favourite drink.
  • Options
    Using the logic that says if Lincoln beat Newcastle in a cup match, and we beat Lincoln, then we’re better than Newcastle.
    If Andy Scott goes can’t his wage be used to boost the offer to George Dobson?
    I know which one of them we need in the club until the end of the season.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Using the logic that says if Lincoln beat Newcastle in a cup match, and we beat Lincoln, then we’re better than Newcastle.
    If Andy Scott goes can’t his wage be used to boost the offer to George Dobson?
    I know which one of them we need in the club until the end of the season.
    Dobson is here until the end of the season?
  • Options
    @Addick Addict never knew you were of HU descent mate.
  • Options
    Anyone know if this whole deal could be trashed if Jones makes enough noise, and Dobbo gets persuaded to stay?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Anyone know if this whole deal could be trashed if Jones makes enough noise, and Dobbo gets persuaded to stay?
    I’m pretty confused by now but I think that it now seems likely he will see out his contract with us - but as for trashing the deal I suppose everything depends on the text of the pre-contract agreement with Fehervar. Maybe since its been drafted a few weeks back there is a clause that says (in legal terms) that it is valid *if* Dobbo doesnt conclude a contract extension with us. 

But I am probably clutching at straws, and anyway show us in a very bad light.