Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney writes on a chief executive's role in player recruitment

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm. 
  • Options
    Come back Peter!
  • Options
    I wonder whether Thomas would recognise this simple " Dummies' guide to becoming a successful CEO " ? 

Might be an idea to forward him the link to this piece.

It's never too late to learn.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I’m assuming we currently don’t do/haven’t done many of those processes he mentions on recruitment?
    hence we are where we are.
  • Options
    Do you think he'd come back Airman?
  • Options
    I’m assuming we currently don’t do/haven’t done many of those processes he mentions on recruitment?
    I think the part about late recruitment answers your question for you
  • Options
    Indeed, it seemed like Nigel hadn’t even met some of them until quite recently!
  • Options
    Very interesting. I’d like to cut and paste a fairly large chunk of what Peter says, because according to Steve Gallen in the CAST meet, they have been doing pretty much all of it:

…ensure that the players being targeted fit the requirements set and that everything is followed up immediately. That should include negotiating with other clubs (an art form in itself), researching the player and his history, finding out about his home life and background, checking the internet and social media for anything negative or positive, looking closely at his playing statistics, looking on fan forums to assess supporter feedback about a player and much more.

No stone should be left unturned, and every piece of information should be fed into the recruitment meetings. This will bring you to a top three in each position and that will constantly change as new information is fed into the meetings. Players make their decisions in January about their summer destination, so it is important to start work early. Late recruitment is often the path to failed signings as it becomes about what you can get, not what you want.

However we had a committee, which included the manager, so at least he could have his say on the players considered, but it also included the owner, with little hands on experience of the issues, and three people with apparently equal voices, making their points of view on how he should spend his money. And an awful lot then seems to hang on Galleń’s shoulders when it comes to the negotiation. 

So I can readily see how a decent, experienced CEO running that process might have achieved better results. The interesting thing is that I reckon most American businessmen would agree. However the “committee” approach…that’s quite Scandi…

• Options
    It is our management recruitment process that has resulted in the current mess.
  • Options
    It is our recruitment process that has resulted in the current mess.
    Players, staff and senior management 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can anyone confirm or deny whether they've been on contact recently? TS and PV that is.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Hmmm. 
    Would that be a cynical 'Hmmm'?

A ... how timely 'Hmmm'?

A ... come and get me, Thomas 'Hmmm'?
  • Options
    This piece stood out for me from that article and is what I believe to be the case, so how much blame should be on Nigel?

’At many clubs it is the sporting director who decides who to sign and the manager is told simply to coach them, even though it may be it is a player he doesn’t want. That approach breeds resentment with the manager, who in the eyes of the fans is the man to be sacked if the results on the pitch are poor.’

• Options
    This piece stood out for me from that article and is what I believe to be the case, so how much blame should be on Nigel?

’At many clubs it is the sporting director who decides who to sign and the manager is told simply to coach them, even though it may be it is a player he doesn’t want. That approach breeds resentment with the manager, who in the eyes of the fans is the man to be sacked if the results on the pitch are poor.’

Yes.  Almost uncanny.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Interesting insight from someone who has been there.

I suspect that the response would be "we do that" EG the current CEO is actively involved in recruitment, the stats and player background are analysed.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Indeed, it seemed like Nigel hadn’t even met some of them until quite recently!
    And the quote when Kirk signed along the lines of ‘I haven’t spoken to him yet’. Now initially I thought he meant that day, when he actually signed, but now realise he meant at all. This for me is where our policy falls down, if the Manager hasn’t even spoken to the player what say does he really have in signing him, does he actually want him? Think the policy was a shambles this summer, players signed way too late and then we end up with four or five who at the beginning of October are not fully fit. You can’t blame that on Nigel and that is why I have some sympathy for him.
    Any self respecting, professional and self motivated player should be fit and ready before he starts at a new club ... It's not like 'being fit' should be a surprise requirement.
  • Options
    pretty pointless tbh - i think any of us could have written that and i think they've done that - its the personnel doing it that are under the spotlight 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I would like to ask Peter ‘ did the recruitment of Dowie meet the criteria you set for a manager?”
    You could ask that of any unsuccessful appointment but his point appears to be that it applies to successful ones, not that it was always followed at Charlton.

I would only regard Chris Powell as a successful appointment at Charlton 1997-2008, 2011-12 (when Varney had influence), and as it happens PV wasn’t chief executive in 2011, although he fulfilled the role he describes in respect of the football side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    pretty pointless tbh - i think any of us could have written that and i think they've done that - its the personnel doing it that are under the spotlight 
    I suspect that’s rather the point. If the process is in place, who has ownership of it and are they equipped to do the job?
  • Options
    Need to remember that Peter is also a Charlton fan. He can see what’s going wrong and whereas if you or I wrote something, when he writes, it carries gravitas. I’m sure it’s no coincidence it’s been written now. I don’t see it a some cynical “come and get me” ploy but more a Charlton fan hurting just like we all are.
    If he and curbs came in tomorrow to take a grip of things i'd be happy but lets be honest, of course its a 'come and get me' article and why not? Same as Brownies article re curbs - we have the ready made solutions sitting there chomping at the bit so hopefully TS does what's necessary.   
  • Options
    If I was in Thomas's shoes I would walk away from the club and hand it over to the fans with Varney, Curbs and Airman at the helm and make sure it became fan ownership only.
  • Options
    If I was in Thomas's shoes I would walk away from the club and hand it over to the fans with Varney, Curbs and Airman at the helm and make sure it became fan ownership only.
    And for what reason?
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Need to remember that Peter is also a Charlton fan. He can see what’s going wrong and whereas if you or I wrote something, when he writes, it carries gravitas. I’m sure it’s no coincidence it’s been written now. I don’t see it a some cynical “come and get me” ploy but more a Charlton fan hurting just like we all are.
    If he and curbs came in tomorrow to take a grip of things i'd be happy but lets be honest, of course its a 'come and get me' article and why not? Same as Brownies article re curbs - we have the ready made solutions sitting there chomping at the bit so hopefully TS does what's necessary.   
    We’re way past “come and get me” as far as PV and TS are concerned and have been for a year. There’s no likelihood of that at this point. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    We’re way past “come and get me” as far as PV and TS are concerned and have been for a year. There’s no likelihood of that at this point. 
    well maybe TS will have a re think if things don't pick up - it can't go on like this forever and i may be wrong, but i doubt it would be a wrench for PV to leave his job at millwall (i assum,e he's still there?) would it and curbs said about a year ago on Charlton TV that he would be happy to help / get involved 
  • Options
    Sadly, I feel the time for PV to return to us has passed.

For a start, his white charger will have been pensioned off long ago...
  • Options
    Need to remember that Peter is also a Charlton fan. 
    I still can’t get my head round how a lifelong Charlton fan (which he undoubtedly is) would want to be the Executive Vice Chairman of our most closest rivals Community Scheme.