Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hartlepool vs Charlton | Papa John's Trophy | Tuesday 25th January 2022, 7pm | Match Preview

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2022
    kafka said:
    clive said:
    I've just read that and didn't learn one thing about Charlton Athletic.
    I've learnt that our manager is Johnnie Johnson

'The Opposition

Charlton are currently 14th in League One, 10 points behind Plymouth in the play-off places. They've won two of their previous five games, defeating Fleetwood in the league and MK Dons in this competition. In that run, they were defeated by Crewe in the league, knocked out of the FA Cup by Premier League side Norwich City, and held to a draw by Cheltenham.

The side is led by Johnnie Johnson, a former Charlton player and player-manager. Assisted by former Jamaica international Jason Euell, Johnson oversees a side featuring Wales full-back Chris Gunter, Northern Ireland forward Conor Washington, and FA Cup-winning captain, Ben Watson.'
  • Options
    Why just play the strongest team possible and reward the travelling masses with a win ,and the rest of us with a Wembley dream, 1-3 to the appy Addicks. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Can’t believe we can afford to start Dobson. 

I would imagine it will be something like:

Hendo

Lavelle, Pearce, Elerewe

Matthews, Morgan, Watson, Lee, Purrington

Washington, Leko. 

• Options
    Jeff stellings last year working for skysports....he's relying on this one.

A £10 on Charlton winning the EFL trophy will reward you with a £65 return on sky bet.

We are unbeaten at Wembley for at least over 30 years (I think)

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Can’t believe we can afford to start Dobson. 

I would imagine it will be something like:

Hendo

Lavelle, Pearce, Elerewe

Matthews, Morgan, Watson, Lee, Purrington

Washington, Leko. 

No Lavelle, see injury update above your comment
  • Options
    As long as nobody needs to recover from Saturday, there's no reason to rest players when Sky have ensured a decent gap before our next league game anyway. It's only up front where I would imagine players might need managing, Conor because he's coming back from an injury, Mason because he's a kid and Chuks because he's Chuks. I imagine Leko will start alongside one of them.

Pools are a strange side, tepid in the league but red hot in cup competitions so we can't be complacent, or think that a much weakened side will still do the job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ben18 said:
    Date: 25th January 2022, 7pm k/o
    Competition: Papa John's Trophy Quarter Final
    Opposition: Hartlepool United

Introduction

14th in League One. Out of the FA Cup. 13 points from the playoffs. An occasional nervous glance over the shoulder at the bottom four. We've already lost as many games as we did last season, where we missed out on the playoffs on goal difference. Even some of the more optimistic fans are wanting the season to be over, planning the clear out and highlighting positions to strengthen in the summer.

But wait a minute... what's that twinkling light in the gloomy skies of 2021/22? ... A cup quarter final..! Turn those frowns upside down and jump on the good ship HMS Piss the PJT, all the way to Hartlepool.

With Wembley just 2 wins away, we should field a strong side for this one. There's a 6 day gap before the next league game, and plenty of time for rest.

Papa John's Trophy Quarter Finals:

Tuesday 25th January

Wigan vs Arsenal u-21
    Rotherham vs Cambridge
    Hartlepool vs Charlton
    Sutton vs Harrogate

The Opposition

Hartlepool United

Nickname - Monkey Hangers
    Formed - 1908
    Current League Position - 16th (English League Two)
    Manager - Graeme Lee
    Captain - Nicky Featherstone
    Top Goalscorer - Matty Daly* (7 goals), Mark Cullen (6 goals)

Manager Lee was left bemoaning a lack of finishers at the club following their 1-1 draw on Saturday. In fact they've only won 1 league game in the last 3 months. During this time, they've been performing miracles in the knockout round of cups.

In the FA Cup, they've knocked out League One Lincoln and Wycombe, before dispatching Championship Blackpool in the Third Round. They've been rewarded with a 4th round tie at S***urst Park. In the PJT they've beaten Sheffield Wednesday and Bolton to set up Tuesday's night game with us.

The Hartlepool squad contains one former Addick. Winger Jordan Cook signed for Charlton in the summer of 2012, making just 10 league appearances in his 2 season, before moving on to Walsall and has spent his career in the lower leagues.

*Matty Daly had scored 5 goals in the PJT for Hartlepool this year, but was recalled by parent club Huddersfield last week, to be sent out to Bradford instead.

Team News

With usual PJT stopper Nathan Harness going out on loan to Dulwich Hamlet, McGillivray may start in goal after missing a couple of recent games.

Loanee Juan Castillo won't join his new teammates in training until Monday, so its unlikely he will start this one, but may be good for a place on the bench.

With a large squad and 5 subs available on the night, I'm more clueless than ever on this one. Gilbey, Purrington and Leko should come in after only making the bench on Saturday. Sam Lavelle has played twice for the under 23s so it would make sense for him to continue his recovery and return in this one, but not sure how that effects the balance of the back 3.

Other than that, the only 2 players I would be very surprised to see start are Aneke and Inniss.

My predicted team:

Prediction

3-1 to Charlton and the unexpected excitement of a semi.
    Ooh Matron Kenneth Williams Carry On Camping GIF - Ooh Matron Kenneth  Williams Carry On Camping - Discover amp Share GIFs
    Please let that be an innocent faux pas!!, in my head it is and now I’m chuckling like a little kid!!! 
    The simple things as they say🤷🏻‍♂️🤣
  • Options
    I mean it wasn't as if they just hanged the monkey, they gave him a proper trial first.
  • Options
    Is this game being streamed?
  • Options
    Is this game being streamed?
    Yes
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-jackson-provides-injury-update-ahead-of-efl-trophy-last-eight-match-at-hartlepool/

So it seems like Lavelle is unlikely to be involved. Jacko calls out players who have played every minute for him, I think the only one is Dobson (who will almost certainly be rested), and then Famewo, Clare and Lee have played a lot (I think Lee had played every minute until Saturday) so expect them to be rested from the start at least.

I can't see Chuks and Inniss playing two games in four days. Probably the same with young Burstow. 

Here's what I'm thinking the team will be:
    .....................Henderson
    ......Matthews......Pearce(C)......Gunter
    .......................Watson
    Leko........Gilbey.......Morgan......Purrington
    ..............Davison.......Washington 

Bench: Harvey, Elerewe, Henry, Lee, Blackett-Taylor, Kirk, Burstow
  • Options
    I mean it wasn't as if they just hanged the monkey, they gave him a proper trial first.
    Didn't they torture it too?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-jackson-provides-injury-update-ahead-of-efl-trophy-last-eight-match-at-hartlepool/

So it seems like Lavelle is unlikely to be involved. Jacko calls out players who have played every minute for him, I think the only one is Dobson (who will almost certainly be rested), and then Famewo, Clare and Lee have played a lot (I think Lee had played every minute until Saturday) so expect them to be rested from the start at least.

I can't see Chuks and Inniss playing two games in four days. Probably the same with young Burstow. 

Josh will be battling with the Magic Roundabout by tomorrow night....
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Ah yes just seen it go through. Who wouldn't jump at the chance to play with Jonniesta again?

He definitely needs game time so hopefully it'll be a good move for him.
  • Options
    I remember the smurfs and the oompah loompas.

Terrific fans. Great effort on their part. 

Should our away following dress as monkeys to return the compliment or could history repeat itself in a tragic and violent way ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:
    SDAddick said:

Ah yes just seen it go through. Who wouldn't jump at the chance to play with Jonniesta again?

He definitely needs game time so hopefully it'll be a good move for him.
    Any time, mate. 
  • Options
    What's this available on to watch?
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    CharltonTV 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    CharltonTV 
    Match only coverage which is pretty poor for our biggest game of the season 
  • Options
    Tonight is the BIG ONE.
  • Options
    Countdown to glory....
  • Options
    Can't take this competition seriously - keeps being devalued.
  • Options
    Shameful shithouse competition for a club of our former stature .
    Bad times