Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Daniel Kanu - new contract to 2027 (p13)

Comments

• Options
    Kap10 said:
    Got bullied a bit early doors today but came through it and won the penalty and brilliant goal.  Think he will go on to do good stuff at Championship level as long as we don't ruin him
    Was worried he was trying to hard in the opening stages and would be burnt out by half-time. Biggest praise was for 90 mins he never stopped battling. 
  • Options
    Played really well, indeed a bit of a coming of age performance today.

I was pleasantly surprised by his all round game, he looked dangerous and caused their defenders lots of problems.
    Agree, he looks like he can compete physically in a way he couldn’t last season.
  • Options
    He's done really well in the last week or two to to be fair to him - I wasn't as taken by him as some others and, goal aside, his lack of composure against Newport in the cup had me thinking nothing had changed.

What surprised me most about the last two games though is his willingness to stuck get in, make a tackle and hold the ball up. That's been a critical piece of some of our better passages of play.

Overall, he deserves a lot of credit and is proving now that he's ready for men's football.
  • Options
    I'm sure the scouts will already be taking notice with an 18 year old starting to score league goals. Delighted to see him doing well in the last couple of games and starting to transfer some of his brilliant youth form to the first team.
  • Options
    Or, if we keep up this run of form:

The club's up shit's creek please don't sell our Kanu
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unwelcome stat. He has scored in 4 games and we've lost them all
  • Options
    Think he looked better today .. just needs to get a shot of quicker few times he delayed and ended up passing  the ball ..
  • Options
    Well done to Daniel on his educational achievement. Am sure that is also linked to the extra confidence we have seen of late.

Congrats and hope a few senior pros have apologised for nearly ruining your week(s)!
  • Options
    Definitely need to lock him down for another 2 years minimum. 
  • Options
    Boy, the lad can talk for England :)  I'm really glad to see that he's been working on his strength, as he was getting knocked off the ball a bit easily last season. Hopefully he'll be able to build on the good start he's had over the next few games.
    In case anyone's missed it, there's also a snippet of the interview on BBC London tonight on their twitter feed:

• Options
    Seems like a smart lad. 
  • Options
    ex Dartford Grammar boy.  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He’s the positive of this season. 
  • Options
    Excited about Kanu. Looked a bit lost last season, but now gets involved much more, and can handle himself much better. 
    Two goals in two games. 👍
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Of course there is always the question mark about making the step up but the lad is a natural goalscorer. I have seen a few posts suggesting he isn't that special which to be honest I think are stupid. It was always a question of him getting one or two and seeing what happened from there. Well he has got 3 goals this season and one in the competetive last friendly. The signs are very promising.

What frustarted me a bit last season is he did have chances but no luck. Ref making poor decisions, ball just not falling etc... and at the stage in his career he is at he needed that springboard. It looks like he might have it now. It is very expensive to buy a true goalscorer or you have to be lucky so finding one is the most effective way for us to get one at this moment in time.
  • Options
    Joined Southend on loan. Good move. 
  • Options
    Initial 28 day loan, should be good for him and not too far distance from home. 
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    https://www.charltonafc.com/news/daniel-kanu-joins-southend-united-loan

Daniel Kanu has joined National League side Southend United on an initial 28-day loan.

The 19-year-old academy graduate has scored three goals for the first team this season - including back-to-back league goals against Bristol Rovers and Port Vale at The Valley.

Technical Director Andy Scott said: "Daniel obviously came in and did very well for us in the early part of the season; he scored some goals which we know he is capable of doing. The return to fitness of both Chuks [Aneke] and Miles [Leaburn] has left him sort of fifth choice and we do not think it is fair that he is not involved in a matchday, not playing first team football and progressing in his development.

"It is good that he is going to a club that has just been taken over so they will be getting six, seven thousand there. It will be a great atmosphere and the expectation on him is to score goals. There are areas where he needs to tidy up his game and hopefully playing in the National League for a club like Southend will enable him to do that. We will be keeping a close eye on his progress."

Everyone at the club would like to wish Daniel the best of luck for his first loan spell.

Charlton fans can support the academy by signing up to the Valley Gold scheme. Valley Gold enables fans to support the club's academy in unearthing the talents of tomorrow, as well as giving them the chance to win cash prizes.

Click here for more information on how you can become a Valley Gold member.

• Options
    Glad he has got a loan as despite his decent cameos for us, he's about a season or two away from the starting XI imo.

Should be a good move for both parties though, reckon Southend will really benefit as I thought he was ready for a league 2 loan even