Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• MeerKat said:
    I would love Roy Keane. Would be the least Charlton appointment of all time.
     I  expect Keane would be looking along the lines of an owner that puts his money in and shuts the f**k up.

Sadly it won't be Keane.
    Perhaps if he employed him TS would shut the f@ck up 
  • The majority of the playing staff are an utter disgrace. Their poor attitude, lack of concentration, ill-discipline, lack of reliability and general ineptitude has now been a fundamental influencing factor in 3 managers leaving their jobs at the football club in little over a year. Recruitment has been poor but I simply do not believe those players are capable only of finishing 13th and losing to the likes of Morecambe, Accrington (x2), Crewe, Cheltenham and Shrewsbury this season.

If this really is some sort of epiphany on the part of Sandgaard that he needs to throw the kitchen sink at this or it's a total bust then about three quarters of this squad needs to go straight in the bin.

Squad apathy combined with a total lack of structure and strategy behind the scenes we are doing a superb job of being a poor man's Manchester United.
    my fear is that this is what JJ has said to TS today and the truth hasn't gone down well hence the sacking - hope i'm wrong  
  • Sponsored links:

• I think people may be reading into the comments about it not affecting recruitment a bit too much. We know there are a number of people involved in identifying and drawing up a shortlist of transfer targets. In fact I'm fairly sure at one of the Q&As TS said that the manager did have an input on targets. Presumably that hasn't changed with the news today.

We're also a month away from the window opening, I'd like to think a manager will be brought in over the next week or two. That still gives him time to review the shortlist and have any input themselves.

There is also the possibility that contact has already been made prior to today and they have already been a part of that recruiting process.
  • DOUCHER said:
    The majority of the playing staff are an utter disgrace. Their poor attitude, lack of concentration, ill-discipline, lack of reliability and general ineptitude has now been a fundamental influencing factor in 3 managers leaving their jobs at the football club in little over a year. Recruitment has been poor but I simply do not believe those players are capable only of finishing 13th and losing to the likes of Morecambe, Accrington (x2), Crewe, Cheltenham and Shrewsbury this season.

If this really is some sort of epiphany on the part of Sandgaard that he needs to throw the kitchen sink at this or it's a total bust then about three quarters of this squad needs to go straight in the bin.

Squad apathy combined with a total lack of structure and strategy behind the scenes we are doing a superb job of being a poor man's Manchester United.
    my fear is that this is what JJ has said to TS today and the truth hasn't gone down well hence the sacking - hope i'm wrong  
    I suspect JJ had problems telling half the squad what useless lazy feckless shites they were let alone ripping TS a new one. 
  • aliwibble said:
    Very sad day for our club and for Jacko, this is not who we are as a club.

The combinations of Sandgaard’s parsimony and Nigel “I was a top manager ten years ago” Adkins incompetence killed our season by October.

Jackson picked up the pieces and did as well as you could expect given the train wreck he inherited, yes there were some bad days but there were more good ones as his record shows.

Bottom line? Sangaard has turned out to be the worst owner we have had since the wheels came off in 2007 with our relegation from the Premier League.

Sure, Roland was awful at first but eventually settled down a bit  and learned to keep away, but Sangaard keeps intervening and getting the big calls completely wrong, simply because the man knows absolutely nothing about football whatsoever.

Very, very sad day for our club and we need this guy out of the club before we can progress.

Oh come on Ormiston! You can't have forgotten Nimer and co already? And while the Spivs may have backed Powell to the record-breaking title win, I get the impression the off-field stuff was... somewhat dodgy.
    Yep - @Ormiston_Addick seems to have brain fog in terms of we would all have no CAFC to support if the apparent ‘better’ owners under Southall hadn’t been ejected by TS

Sometimes CL posts amaze me - his post is up there with one of the most ridiculous !!!
  • One thing that was concerning me about Jackson these past few weeks was that he kept mentioning he's got a good core of a sqaud and needs a few to really push on.

Don't agree with that at all. Think the core of this current crop is pretty poor.
    So my only hope is that Sandgaard is going to perform some major surgery and really put a group together with the right capability and attitude to get us where we need to be.
  • Yes he signed the contract during the week of the 13th December, just after beating Cambridge 2-0. We lost the next three games 1-0 at Plymouth, 1-0 vs Wycombe and 2-1 at Crewe which dropped us down to 14th.

At the stage he signed the contract we were 8 points off the play-off places, with 24 games left to play... looked pretty do-able to me?

Also looking at the table we were above Ipswich and Bolton at the time who finished what 10-12 points above us in the end?
    We were playing really well so in context, the 8th place target doesn't look unachievable.

What everyone involved should have realized though is that the level of performance wasn't sustainable, especially with the group of players we had available. We were always going to go through a bad spell, it happens to every team in a 46 game season...
    But didnt we have that bad spell at the start of the season...?

Obviously playing 4 or 5 games without your 2 (and only) recognised strikers would hamper any team. Probably best not to mention that we ditched a striker (Schwartz) after the transfer window had shut so we couldnt replace him & were relying on 2 youngsters (Davison before xmas and Burstow afterwards) to step up. 
  • Did TS actually expect us to finish in the top 8 and he insisted Jackson must deliver that to keep the job?

If that was the expectation, then he should have sacked Adkins roughly after just 7 games.

Sandgaurd wants what is best for Charlton. No doubt about it....but so far, he has been naive and rather useless.

• Very sad day for our club and for Jacko, this is not who we are as a club.

The combinations of Sandgaard’s parsimony and Nigel “I was a top manager ten years ago” Adkins incompetence killed our season by October.

Jackson picked up the pieces and did as well as you could expect given the train wreck he inherited, yes there were some bad days but there were more good ones as his record shows.

Bottom line? Sangaard has turned out to be the worst owner we have had since the wheels came off in 2007 with our relegation from the Premier League.

Sure, Roland was awful at first but eventually settled down a bit  and learned to keep away, but Sangaard keeps intervening and getting the big calls completely wrong, simply because the man knows absolutely nothing about football whatsoever.

Very, very sad day for our club and we need this guy out of the club before we can progress.

I wouldn't go that far but I do stand by my posts of last summer when I said that there isnt much difference between RD & TS. In fact, as it stands, TS is looking like 2nd choice of the 2.
  • Dave2l said:
    Did TS actually expect us to finish in the top 8 and he insisted Jackson must deliver that to keep the job? whilst we were 11th
  • Sponsored links:

• “We have potential managers out of jobs and others who could be convinced to come here. It depends who we talk to. The process could be relatively short or we might go very close up to pre-season.” 

Good god, is he expecting to be able to attract top talent to a club with no manager. Players will know there’s a big chance the new manager won’t fancy them, so why would they sign with us early? 

This is either going to be a stroke of genius or another disaster season. One is much more likely than the other. 

Regardless of what you thought of Jackson, the way this has been handled is very unorthodox.
    I won't be holding my breath on that option, total disaster awaits.
  • To clarify my earlier point about Sangaard being our worst owner since 2007, I am talking about the way he involves himself in the footballing side of the club.

We all know Roland was a nightmare a first under Powell, that’s fully understood, but he eventually learned his lesson and by the time Bowyer got us up in 2019 he was largely a silent investor with little day to day involvement.

Sure, Slater and Jiminez were not our cup of tea, but they got us up with record points and it was all OK till their backer pulled the pin.

Point taken about ESI, but they were only running the show for a relatively short period and their intentions were clear, to sell up and make money.

Sangaard is completely different, as respected people like @airmanbrown have noted this guy is basically running every aspect of the club despite the fact he has ZERO football knowledge on the playing or business side.

From what I can see Sangaard doesn’t want to listen to or take advice from anyone and is interested only in appointing sycophants like his son to do his bidding for him.

Sure, have as many LOLs as you like, but Sangaard really worries me as an owner because he wants to run the club, not just own it, and that is never going to work in a million years because he has no idea what he is doing.

Let’s see who is laughing this time next year.
    Top half would be an improvement.
  • Anyone remember the infamous team talks after Plymouth and Burton…the reality is he wasn’t up to the job, better doing it now so the new manager can bring his own players in. 
  • edited May 2022
    Reading some posts & their responses reminds me of a scene in the film "The Damned United" when Cloughie, whilst at Derby, was bringing in players without the owners consent. Cloughie basically told him that the owners job was to pay the bills & buy the players & his job (Clough) is to win matches.

Sandgaard needs to realise this pretty quickly & not meddle in affairs he knows nothing about. 
    https://youtu.be/cGdyl5RgSrs

I would love to know what Clough would make of Captain Fairweather and the pudding gang.  Chuks wouldn't be dancing his way through training under him. 
  • Sad that JJ's time should end like this. He's been such a good servant of the Club. I hope you go on to have a successful management career JJ  just a shame it isn't with Charlton.