Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

JOHNNIE JACKSON - new 2 year contract at AFC Wimbledon (p44)

Comments

• Options
    Addick_8 said:
    Wonder if Mark Warburton leaving QPR has anything to do with it..
    Good call can see an experienced man coming in this time … 
  • Options
    Sad for JJ but not totally surprised. TS needs to follow this bold decision with an equally bold appointment. Sean Dyche…???🤣🤣🤣
  • Options
    Surprised.

Not going to fall into the trap of saying whether it is a good or bad decision, I’ve reacted to our myriad previous managerial changes that way and the one thing I’ve learned is that whether it’s a good move to make will be determined by what comes next. 
  • Options
    Bold move. Good timing. Fingers-crossed for an experienced manager and player backing. Jackson can have few complaints - the football was dire, too many players couldn't be arsed, tactically inept and defensive of player failure. His post-match comments on Saturday won't have helped. 
  • Options
    Surprised but not shocked. Sounds like it has been a while in the making. It's hard to say there isn't anyone getable who would be a better manager than Jacko. A lot of the desire for him to succeed has come from the fact that he's a club legend, obviously.

But when you look at his history over the last three regimes, all have fallen apart due to lack of tactical continuity and game plan. And thus it's been no surprise to see Jacko's sides struggle in the same way. And I don't think it's a coincidence that TS waited so long to make him permanent, and it seems no one was fully convinced by him after November (which is basically half of a season). 

I think he could be a decent lower league manager with the right coaching setup.

There is still a lot of work to do. This is a hybrid side that doesn't have a consistent formation(s) or style of play. There are good players here, but there needs to be continuity in recruitment AND recruiting a manager who can work with those players. Jacko may not have been a good enough coach, but there are a lot of issues that run deeper than that. 
  • Options
    Warburton

beale - villa

edwards - FGR

Taylor - exeter

duff - cheltenham

deffo names i would hope we would be looking at and interviewing 

Maybe Skiverton and the guy from Colchester will take it on. 
  • Options
    Maybe TS should let someone else appoint the next one. Losing interest in this club fast.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Warburton smacks me as an Adkins type appointment

Agree. Think he will appeal to TS as more of a yes man and used to being a head coach rather than manager. Having managed Brentford under a similar model MS is trying to put in place I assume.

• Options
    hope this is the sign of a massive clear out. 

genuinely out of the current sqaud i only like 

dobson 
    clare is okay 

rest are proper toilet and not good enough to be anywhere near playoffs next season 

BUT we need a new manager in within 2 weeks to start rebuilding for next season lets see what the rocking dane is made of. 
  • Options
    not the right answer lets be honest the players this year have been appauling and that is something to a certain extent is out of his control - time to have a crack at management is when you are managing a club in a spot of bother at the wrong end of the table and whos fan base have a top 6 minimum ambition. 

Harris 
    Warburton 
    a return of bowyer 

are a few i've seen banded around. 

Warburton will make sense. He’s hired most of Brentford’s old staff. Another recycled football league manager. 
  • Options
    Love Jacko, and he ultimately led us to safety after a disastrous start.

However, I've found myself questioning a lot of his decisions, and it became apparent that the new manager bounce carried us during his early reign.

Was a tough decision, but I think Sandgaard has got this one right. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Meltdown on this is quite amusing tbf. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Warburton smacks me as an Adkins type appointment

Agree. Think he will appeal to TS as more of a yes man and used to being a head coach rather than manager. Having managed Brentford under a similar model MS is trying to put in place I assume.

More for me he's someone trading off what he did 10 years ago, and clubs appoint him thinking it'll happen again
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Conerning if correct he has been sacekd becuase JJ opnion on how to get promoted does not aling with TS. 

I am starting to have concerns on how much TS belives him and MS know. 
    TS has also watched every game JJ has been in charge. I'm sure that was 95% of the reason behind it. Shocking football. 
    We play shocking football because we have a shocking squad. You could put Pep in charge of this lot and I don't think we would see much difference.
    How do you know when there was not one game where we even attempted to play a different brand of football? 
  • Options
    Big move. 

One that is a good sign as it shows that Sandgaard really wants to push this club on rather than settle and keep things ticking over. 

However, all the big decisions he's made so far haven't really worked out for the best. So I guess we will wait and see what happens now. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addick_8 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Conerning if correct he has been sacekd becuase JJ opnion on how to get promoted does not aling with TS. 

TS has also watched every game JJ has been in charge. I'm sure that was 95% of the reason behind it. Shocking football. 
    We play shocking football because we have a shocking squad. You could put Pep in charge of this lot and I don't think we would see much difference.
    Disagree, the squad is better than 13th.
  • Options
    This is why I didn’t want Jacko to get the job in the first place, I thought it would end in tears for the club legend.
  • Options
    Blimey that’s a genuine surprise. Although does go some way to explaining the contract situations…

Will never understand the complaints about the style of football. We are in League One. In League One it’s never been pretty. Under Powell, under Bowyer. Look at Wigan and Rotherham this season. Both played 3-5-2 with big lumps at either end of the pitch.

If we want to take the MK Dons route here, it’s going to be a long old road and many years of getting it wrong before it all clicks. No doubt it’s probably the better choice in the long term but it’s risky.
    For me personally I can't say I agree with this. Rothertham for instance are very direct, but I wouldn't say they were not pretty to watch - they don't just lump it up to Smith in hope he gets a knock down to another forward player. The often moved the ball very quickly through the thirds, and if not possible, the direct ball up to Smith was played with a lot more quality than just hit and hope, and normally found him moving into a channel where he could bring it down and play other runners overlapping him into play quickly.

We never had that. Our long balls were usually to Stockley who would drop a little deeper, in the centre of the pitch, and basically head it to no one - or get the ball out to the wings and try and get a cross in. It was horrible to watch, and often left us getting turned over easily with players out of position.
    I will respond to that with three words: Famewo, Gilbey and Stockley.

We can’t play accurate long balls up to the striker when Famewo hoofs it.

We can’t play quickly through the thirds when Gilbey has the worst first touch and pass that I’ve seen in a Charlton shirt for a while.

We can’t have Stockley bring it down intelligently and bring others into play around him for a couple of reasons… 1. he isn’t very good at it 2. it’s usually only Washington that’s anywhere near supporting him.
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    J BLOCK said:

That might be true but I expect even poor players to always give 100% every game. That’s in large part the managers responsibility. I don’t think JJ had the stomach for throwing teacups or calling players out. 
  • Options
    Some of you might not like to hear it, but Johnnie was way Out of his depth. No formation changes and dire football meant he just wasn’t worth the gamble of backing big this summer.