Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Let's have a real look at the runners and riders. 

Lennon and JFH have both been ruled out by Cawley.  But not by a club "source". 

Warburton:  Has there been any real link?  Lots of circumstantial evidence in the recent round of hirings.  The "Brentford model" but that's the reason Warburton left.  Google Warburtongate for details.

Beale:  Name checked by Thomas, with a very back handed compliment, in the autumn.  $tevie G MBE has acknowledged the link, so there is smoke. Is there anything else to it?

Taylor:  Cawley said he is a candidate, Taggy spoke to Tissy, allegedly.  Lots of fan talk at both ends anything else?  Nothing stopping this going through at any time.

Euell:  I have included him because, well he is here.  He has spoken before about his ambition, his frustration.  He has some pedigree.  Previously applied for the Wimbledon job, did he this time?  If not now, never, at least not here.

You have got the relatively local based out of work managers like big Mick, Jackett, Uncle Woy, I am not saying I would want them but I doubt they, nor us, are really intrested.

Anyone got any more realistic names? 
  • Scoham said:
    If Beale is the brains, no one posting on there would be terribly upset if he joined us and relatively few comments. Is it their main forum? 
  • Scoham said:
    If Beale is the brains, no one posting on there would be terribly upset if he joined us and relatively few comments. Is it their main forum? 
    Being a massive club they have several forums, that seems to be one of the bigger ones. Couldn't find another one that had a thread on Beale.
  • Scoham said:
    Would Beale be such an "obvious" choice if he wasn't an ex youth player? 

That aside side by side what makes him better than Michael Carrick, for example? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

That aside side by side what makes him better than Michael Carrick, for example? 
    I don't think it's anything to do with making him a better choice. I think it's quite clear he was interested last season whilst at Rangers. Naturally, that means he is being linked again. People are excited because he is a young, hungry coach. Carrick is probably the same but a more unrealistic target which is probably the reason he's not being talked about as much. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Beale's been coaching for nearly 20 years. Though you could argue if he wanted to be a manager he'd have done so by now and worked his way up from a lower level.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/michael-beale-7b8a241a5/details/experience/
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I don't think it's anything to do with making him a better choice. I think it's quite clear he was interested last season whilst at Rangers. Naturally, that means he is being linked again. People are excited because he is a young, hungry coach. Carrick is probably the same but a more unrealistic target which is probably the reason he's not being talked about as much. 
    There was a bit of anti Carrick noise early in, despite his win ratio at Man United being higher than Fergies :p.

Carrick is unemployed as well, knows the area etc etc I just wonder if a lot of the current Beale noise is the link and last autumn comments.  He is probably on a lot more money now as well.

I actually think Carrick is more likely but would be significantly less popular. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Is it just the Celtic thing that put people off Lennon?
    Genuinely interested in the answer.
    Yes
    Pathetic 
    Why is it pathetic?
    Because it’s Scottish Football.
    Because it’s sectarian nonsense that belongs in the Middle Ages.
    Because it has feck all to do with us.

I could go on.
    I don't like Celtic in the same way I don't like Palace and Arsenal

I don't like Lennon in the same way I don't like Pardew, Savage or Steve Evans.

Absolutely nothing to do with sectarianism. It's football and everone has their hero's and villains. Lennon and Celtic fall into the latter for me. 
    I realise this is a silly but is it solely cos he’s Celtic/Arsenal/Palace.  Because if we were linked with Arteta surely you’d be alright with that?   
    Arteta is nothing like Lennon though is he? There's probably plenty of Palace and Arsenal and even Celtic people I wouldn't mind being involved at Charlton if it ever come about, but Lennon ain't one of them because he's Neil Lennon AND he's Celtic.

Nb. I've not got any feeling for any Scotting side, although I was rooting for Ranger last night, but I would've also wanted Hearts, Dundee or Aberdeen etc to win if it were them involved. Not Celtic though and not Arsenal or Palace either. Whether it's domestic or European.
    Always had a soft spot for Celtic since filming at the ground in the 90s. Very friendly club. Also saw them playing at Hearts, and it was the most passionate away support I’ve ever seen. 
  • I think it’s going to be Martin Jol.
  • I'd be very disappointed with Carrick. Hasn't shown anything to suggest he can be a good manager. I remember watching their 1-1 draw with Chelsea and I have never seen such a poor man utd performance, they were embarrassingly bad and he came out and said he was proud of the performance. No thanks
  • Sponsored links:

• Jac_52 said:
    I'd be very disappointed with Carrick. Hasn't shown anything to suggest he can be a good manager. I remember watching their 1-1 draw with Chelsea and I have never seen such a poor man utd performance, they were embarrassingly bad and he came out and said he was proud of the performance. No thanks
    What about when they lost 4-0 against Brighton?
  • When’s it Roy Keane’a turn to get bigged up then put down on the CL merry go round? 
  • Jac_52 said:
    I'd be very disappointed with Carrick. Hasn't shown anything to suggest he can be a good manager. I remember watching their 1-1 draw with Chelsea and I have never seen such a poor man utd performance, they were embarrassingly bad and he came out and said he was proud of the performance. No thanks
    What about when they lost 4-0 against Brighton?

Didn't see that game but if they managed more than 3 shots and managed to get out their half then it wasn't worse.
  • If Beale has a choice to be manager of Blackburn, QPR or Charlton, then why pick the League One club over the 2 in the Championship. 
  • shirty5 said:
    If Beale has a choice to be manager of Blackburn, QPR or Charlton, then why pick the League One club over the 2 in the Championship. 
    QPR don’t want Beale they want the Wycombe manager 
  • And Blackburn have ex Sheff Wed boss  Carvalhal as number one target , also Wycombe manager and Michael Carrick …. no mention of Beale at all 
  • shirty5 said:
    If Beale has a choice to be manager of Blackburn, QPR or Charlton, then why pick the League One club over the 2 in the Championship. 
    https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/queens-park-rangers

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/blackburn-rovers

Manning 6/4 favourite for QPR, Carvalhal 2/1 favourite for Blackburn.
  • Jac_52 said:
    His team played poor, but still got a 1-1 from Chelsea. 

That’s  me sold. I want carrick as the new manager. 
  • Jac_52 said:
    But United are very bad with poor players compared to the likes of Chelsea. It was a good point regardless of the performance. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If Beale is appointed I wonder who he’d like in his set-up….and will he be allowed to bring them?
  • Valley11 said:
    If Beale is appointed I wonder who he’d like in his set-up….and will he be allowed to bring them?
    Yes why not .. still think Euell will end up at Wimbeldon at some point 
  • edited May 2022
    Ben Garner actually ticks a lot of boxes.

"he's a phenomenal person. He's a top, top coach, his attention to detail is unreal and he sees things that we don't see. He's a class act all around".

Very much focused on developing young players.  Similar back ground to Beale in that he has a lot of coaching experience despite being quite young.

Knows the area as well so would pass the sat nav test.
  • Here's the news you wanted.

Michael Beale is definitely a top button done up type of guy.

Pic: Tom Morris/Charlton Athletic Museum 17/7/98

That photo is curtains for this thread.
  • Celtic were arguably the most fantastic European trophy winners ever seeing as how all their team were more or less local to Parkhead.
  • From a hugely  informed source….

” it won’t be Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. We do not want to play long ball”
  • Swisdom said:
    From a hugely  informed source….

” it won’t be Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. We do not want to play long ball”
    that's good news.. any hints on who it might be? feels like its Taylor or beale,