Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    From a hugely  informed source….

” it won’t be Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. We do not want to play long ball”
    Not that I want Jimmy Floyd but is that through him wanting to play long ball or wanting to win enough games to not get sacked?  I don't remember his original Burton team playing long ball.

Big Sam didn't play long ball when he had Heiro, Campo, JJ, Djorkaeff etc etc.

No one is going to get Purrington, Gilbey and Stockley et al playing like prime Barcelona are they?
    Burton are very direct and that’s not a direction we want to be going.

I agree a number of our players need tweaking and some won’t fit a new style - but that’s what Ipswich did/are doing.  They are chnanging their whole ethos to suit their new managers requirements from top to bottom.  It could be very exciting

or a car crash I suppose 😀
  • I actually think Beale would be a mistake, its obviously very helpful to have a good coach but ultimately its about the quality you have on the pitch and I'd rather have Taylor ( or someone similar) who has detailed knowledge of the best League 1 and League 2 players which is where we will be fishing. 
    Paul Clement would be a good example of an outstanding coach who didn't really cut it as a manager. A similar mould to Beale 
  • I actually think Beale would be a mistake, its obviously very helpful to have a good coach but ultimately its about the quality you have on the pitch and I'd rather have Taylor ( or someone similar) who has detailed knowledge of the best League 1 and League 2 players which is where we will be fishing. 
    Paul Clement would be a good example of an outstanding coach who didn't really cut it as a manager. A similar mould to Beale 
    Some very valid comments, who do you think could do a good job as manager for us?
  • Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    From a hugely  informed source….

” it won’t be Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. We do not want to play long ball”
    Not that I want Jimmy Floyd but is that through him wanting to play long ball or wanting to win enough games to not get sacked?  I don't remember his original Burton team playing long ball.

Big Sam didn't play long ball when he had Heiro, Campo, JJ, Djorkaeff etc etc.

No one is going to get Purrington, Gilbey and Stockley et al playing like prime Barcelona are they?
    Burton are very direct and that’s not a direction we want to be going.

I agree a number of our players need tweaking and some won’t fit a new style - but that’s what Ipswich did/are doing.  They are chnanging their whole ethos to suit their new managers requirements from top to bottom.  It could be very exciting

or a car crash I suppose 😀
    That's a different point though.  Burton got a similar number of points to us, on a fraction of the wage bill.  Would JFH play like that if he had better players avaliable to him?

Ipswich have chucked a lot of money at it, MK Dons have spent about 10 years, and a spell in the 4th tier, trying to do it but they can survive as a league 1 club.  I am not so sure we can.

These things would be much easier to implement in the championship, for a club our size, than hemorrhaging cash in league 1.  I think everyone would agree that it's a good ambition and destination but I am not sure it's should be the immediate priority.

Nothing to stop you working on that from u23s down now, to build for the future as well.
    Some very valid comments, who do you think could do a good job as manager for us?
    Its very difficult isn't it , keeping everyone happy but I would go for Taylor, Appleton or Ferguson as the profile ?
    Its very difficult isn't it , keeping everyone happy but I would go for Taylor, Appleton or Ferguson as the profile ?
    Interesting , i'm not sure about Ferguson, i think he's 'found' his club, but who knows. I'm trying to stay pretty chilled about it all, you can only take so much stress and anxiety following this club.
  • Knowing our luck, Beale will morph into Les Reed. Things like this just happen at Charlton.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    What could sway it for Michael to come to us, is he was a Charlton fan as a boy also came through our academy, he’s from South East London, Bromley boy, his missus, who was a year above me at school, is also from the area and her family still live in Bromley. A lot of pro’s from a personal life perspective however it’ll be the cons in the way the club is being run at the moment, whether that is a deciding factor I don’t know but I am sure it will be a tough decision either way with their family still being local and it being a big job. 
  • RedRobin said:
    What could sway it for Michael to come to us, is he was a Charlton fan as a boy also came through our academy, he’s from South East London, Bromley boy, his missus, who was a year above me at school, is also from the area and her family still live in Bromley. A lot of pro’s from a personal life perspective however it’ll be the cons in the way the club is being run at the moment, whether that is a deciding factor I don’t know but I am sure it will be a tough decision either way with their family still being local and it being a big job. 
    And how’s the club being run .. it’s being run like a normal club know it’s been a long time since we had a normal club ….. 
  • Unless Thomas Sandgaard has apologised to Michael Beale for his comments last time and head hunted him recently, there is no way Beale would apply again at Cafc.

"my villa mate said he's on his way"  doesn't really carry much kudos unless the mate is employed by Aston Villa.
  • RedRobin said:
    And how’s the club being run .. it’s being run like a normal club know it’s been a long time since we had a normal club ….. 
    Wow!!..How it would be great to be "normal", such a pinnacle to aspire too.. B)
  • I’ve no idea if Beale is the answer and no very little about him but the good posters on here are saying they want him so that will do for me.

Would also be happy with Taylor, get it done TS.
  • I still think Beale is a fantastic coach, but his as untried and tested as Jacko was. 
  • edited May 2022
    I feel the same with Beale he could being though our young players effectively and with all that talent there is a unique opportunity at charlton. however, to take advantage of that will need sandgaard to allow beale the time and be patient.. not just TS but us fans too. 

Singing you don't know what your doing after a dozen games next season as we have 67% possession in so many matches but win 3, lose 3 and draw 6 won't help.

Just checking for a friend but would we rather just miss out playing the MK Dons way, or get promoted playing similar to Rotherham ( Michael Smith and Stockley are similar) who were promoted and Wycombe who have a 50/50 chance of being promoted ?

IF/When Fraser gets fit the best way to get out of League 1 is to dovetail the two styles of ball retention but also sharp quick attacks with quality balls into the box from advanced positions so either Stockley/Aneke two of the best header of the ball can run on to. On the desk as well for our new attacking midfielder or new replacement for Washington to run on to.

Mix and match with relationships all over the field.

Tough gig at Cafc, Pompey, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Sunderland, Bolton, now Derby. All those teams have fans who believe their teams are "massive", Charlton Athletic fans as well as Wednesday and the rest of the above.

• SweetCAFC said:
    I am still hoping that it will be Warburton in light of his previous connections with the recent CAFC appointments of Da Souza and Dangerfield.

Possibly clutching at straws, but if Warburton is still contracted to QPR, even if they were not going to renew his contract, could CAFC risk having to pay compensation to QPR if anything were to be agreed/ announced prior to expiry of his contract with QPR? If Warburton is indeed CAFC’s choice, could this potentially explain the current waiting game?
    Short answer is no. Look at Bolton who already announced the signing of Iredale prior to the official expiry of his contract with Cambridge. I don't see any reason why the rules would be different for managers.
    And Watford did the same at the expense of Forestgreen Rovers.
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    I still think Beale is a fantastic coach, but his as untried and tested as Jacko was. 
    Any experienced manager dropping down is doing it for a reason, if they’re that good why aren’t they managing at a higher level?

A young manager stepping up is just as big a gamble, maybe like Powell and Bowyer they’re at the right club at the right time and won’t be able to recreate the success they’ve had.

We could get a proven solid League 1 manager like Robinson but I’d rather gamble on Beale being a lot better.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ve no idea if Beale is the answer and no very little about him but the good posters on here are saying they want him so that will do for me.

Would also be happy with Taylor, get it done TS.
    Truth is that no one knows if a manager will work out even experts in the game. Just got to play the percentages and keep fingers crossed 🤞 
  • How about Garry Monk?
  • Unless Thomas Sandgaard has apologised to Michael Beale for his comments last time and head hunted him recently, there is no way Beale would apply again at Cafc.

"my villa mate said he's on his way"  doesn't really carry much kudos unless the mate is employed by Aston Villa.
    TS had to honour his word to JJ .. JJ was promised the job after Adkins , he was to learn from him and end of his contract JJ would be ready to take over .. problem was it happened to soon , expect TS knew it was far to soon for JJ hence the contract .. so even through he sounded out over people it was always going to be JJ 
  • I feel the same with Beale he could being though our young players effectively and with all that talent there is a unique opportunity at charlton. however, to take advantage of that will need sandgaard to allow beale the time and be patient.. not just TS but us fans too. 

Singing you don't know what your doing after a dozen games next season as we have 67% possession in so many matches but win 3, lose 3 and draw 6 won't help.

Just checking for a friend but would we rather just miss out playing the MK Dons way, or get promoted playing similar to Rotherham ( Michael Smith and Stockley are similar) who were promoted and Wycombe who have a 50/50 chance of being promoted ?

IF/When Fraser gets fit the best way to get out of League 1 is to dovetail the two styles of ball retention but also sharp quick attacks with quality balls into the box from advanced positions so either Stockley/Aneke two of the best header of the ball can run on to. On the desk as well for our new attacking midfielder or new replacement for Washington to run on to.

Mix and match with relationships all over the field.

Tough gig at Cafc, Pompey, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Sunderland, Bolton, now Derby. All those teams have fans who believe their teams are "massive", Charlton Athletic fans as well as Wednesday and the rest of the above.

Rotherham are certainly much more direct than MK Dons, but they weren’t what I would consider a long ball team by any stretch of the imagination.

All the balls that went into Smith in the two games I saw against them were played with quality, pace and usually into a channel he was moving into where he could control and bring other players into the game.

And usually that out ball was only played if they couldn’t move it though the thirds quickly on a turn over of play. 

Long ball to me is usually when teams smash the ball high into the air for the striker to try and head it onto runners.
  • mendonca said:
    Knowing our luck, Beale will morph into Les Reed. Things like this just happen at Charlton.
    I don’t really blame Les Reed for that short spell. The effort from the players during that period was a disgrace.
  • Scoham said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I still think Beale is a fantastic coach, but his as untried and tested as Jacko was. 
    Any experienced manager dropping down is doing it for a reason, if they’re that good why aren’t they managing at a higher level?

A young manager stepping up is just as big a gamble, maybe like Powell and Bowyer they’re at the right club at the right time and won’t be able to recreate the success they’ve had.

We could get a proven solid League 1 manager like Robinson but I’d rather gamble on Beale being a lot better.
    I don't buy this good managers become bad bit at all.  You have to look at the whole thing in the round.  Why are managers successful in one job then fail in two.  Probably because all things aren't equal.

There are 44 teams in the two divisions above us.  Without looking I would guess that half, at least, have changed managers in the last 18 months.  Did they all become bad managers?  Admittedly some of them probably were never very good and just poor appointments but I suspect if you look at it most of them would have a lot of other considerations as well. 

Such as the board sold their star striker in January, they had a relatively small budget, the CE was to busy getting an official noddle partner in North Korea to buy the striker they needed etc etc.
  • I don’t think anything’s been announced yet for no other reason than a decision has not been made on who that applied or interviewed is the right person. Then it’s negotiation time. My guess is we have two or three preferred candidates and are currently speaking to both or all about their contractual requirements. Beale might have for example interviewed and been offered the job but can’t agree person terms. Suspect we’re close but not very close. Another couple of weeks is my guess.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    CAFCDAZ said:

I don't buy this good managers become bad bit at all.  You have to look at the whole thing in the round.  Why are managers successful in one job then fail in two.  Probably because all things aren't equal.

There are 44 teams in the two divisions above us.  Without looking I would guess that half, at least, have changed managers in the last 18 months.  Did they all become bad managers?  Admittedly some of them probably were never very good and just poor appointments but I suspect if you look at it most of them would have a lot of other considerations as well. 

Such as the board sold their star striker in January, they had a relatively small budget, the CE was to busy getting an official noddle partner in North Korea to buy the striker they needed etc etc.
    I think the problem is that some managers are branded as good when really they just had good players in that job. And vice versa.

• Lee Clark is available after leaving Al-Merrikh in the Sudan Premier League
    Has he left them undefeated in a millennium?