Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• edited May 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Always worth remembering that if we’re after Beale, Taylor and the rest, then so are other clubs. 
    It’s possibly unlikely that we’ll get our first choice. Or even our second choice. We’ll see. 
    Who? 
    You'll need someone who actually knows more about L1 football than I do to answer that. But you'd imagine any of the bigger clubs in L1 whose season didn't meet expectations, or who finished the season particularly badly? It's that time of the year when we'll start finding out I guess. But perhaps we have first dibs and no one else is interested in them, fair point.
  • edited May 2022
    Beale's side were two up and then let in three goals in five minutes. 

Not good enough for us

;) 

So, by the same premise Euell was responsible for our poor showing, not Jacko... ;)

• Has anyone said we're waiting for the champions League final to finish yet? 
    I did on the "name the date" thread. 

Klopp is going to be furious if we appoint someone before he has had the chance of an interview 🙂.
  • edited May 2022
    Yeah but football doesnt operate the same as "real world" business´ you dont tend to see a drawn out application and interviewing process, most boards tend to know who they want and get their man in, rather than taking applications from everyone going. 

Maybe that’s why football has such a high turnover of managers and such a high failure rate. It would be in my opinion negligent not to see who throws their hat into the ring before making a decision. Of course there will be preferred targets but I don’t see what Charlton are doing at this point is an issue. If some high profile ambitious targets have been sounded out and rejected us then the interview process is even less surprising. 
    It's partly because you have between twenty and twenty four clubs in a league, and only a small handful of them can be successful, if the aim of the game is to win the league or get promoted.
    Of course for some clubs the aim of the game is survival, and they're the clubs who tend to keep their managers for longer, but for the rest the temptation is often going to be to find a different formula, especially when a club has ambitions that aren't being met.
    Sunderland is a good example. In Alex Neil (edit!) they brought in just the right manager for them, as just the right time. Bingo.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Yeah but football doesnt operate the same as "real world" business´ you dont tend to see a drawn out application and interviewing process, most boards tend to know who they want and get their man in, rather than taking applications from everyone going. 

Maybe that’s why football has such a high turnover of managers and such a high failure rate. It would be in my opinion negligent not to see who throws their hat into the ring before making a decision. Of course there will be preferred targets but I don’t see what Charlton are doing at this point is an issue. If some high profile ambitious targets have been sounded out and rejected us then the interview process is even less surprising. 
    It's partly because you have between twenty and twenty four clubs in a league, and only a small handful of them can be successful, if the aim of the game is to win the league or get promoted.
    Of course for some clubs the aim of the game is survival, and they're the clubs who tend to keep their managers for longer, but for the rest the temptation is often going to be to find a different formula, especially when a club has ambitions that aren't being met.
    Sunderland is a good example. In McLeish they brought in just the right manager for them, as just the right time. Bingo.
    Alex Neil, Not McLeish
  • Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:
    We may still be interviewing to give us alternatives / plan B in case plan A doesn’t accept or we just want to be thorough.  There were a LOT of applicants 

a new manager isn’t going to have made much impact with the previous season still ongoing so we’ve really not missed out on much I wouldn’t think.  The players are all away, the recruitment team are beavering away on an assortment of targets and things will get into action in a couple of weeks - presumably with a new manager in place by then.

until then I’m not alarmed.  If we are being thorough I am not alarmed.  If we have plenty of interest I am not alarmed

if lots of people are rejecting us, I’m alarmed but don’t believe this to be the case.

Is that a guess or based on anything? Given the time it’s taken and suggestions we’re still interviewing it wouldn’t be surprising to find the job has been turned down.
    Given who @Swisdom is and his connections to the club I'd say it is more than a guess.
    I have no idea who 90% of posters are on here, so do tell. 
  • Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:
    We may still be interviewing to give us alternatives / plan B in case plan A doesn’t accept or we just want to be thorough.  There were a LOT of applicants 

a new manager isn’t going to have made much impact with the previous season still ongoing so we’ve really not missed out on much I wouldn’t think.  The players are all away, the recruitment team are beavering away on an assortment of targets and things will get into action in a couple of weeks - presumably with a new manager in place by then.

until then I’m not alarmed.  If we are being thorough I am not alarmed.  If we have plenty of interest I am not alarmed

if lots of people are rejecting us, I’m alarmed but don’t believe this to be the case.

Is that a guess or based on anything? Given the time it’s taken and suggestions we’re still interviewing it wouldn’t be surprising to find the job has been turned down.
    Given who @Swisdom is and his connections to the club I'd say it is more than a guess.
    I have no idea who 90% of posters are on here, so do tell. 
    Shirt sponsor for the 3 Charlton first team kits 
  • shirty5 said:
    JamesSeed said:

Sunderland is a good example. In McLeish they brought in just the right manager for them, as just the right time. Bingo.
    Alex Neil, Not McLeish
    Of course. Cheers for that. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:

Steve Wisdom is Norman Wisdom's Grandson and like his Granddad was a fine footballer. Steve did fall over a tad too much but was highly rated in the Kent League where he was similar to Stanley Matthews and had the nickname: The Dizzard of the Wibble.
  • edited May 2022
    RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    it’s a real shame that recently fans can’t seem to just post their concerns about the team, recruitment, TS, MS, which are all valid - without a vociferous minority sweepingly insulting or abusing CL or posters with whom they don’t agree.  We are not entitled, or comparing to previous shit owners, TS “bashers” or stupid, we are simply concerned fans.  TS is the owner, but has said and done some bizarre things which give cause for concern, and done some of those things very strangely.  His son knows SFA about football and an estimation of 10x the average sky viewer is an overestimate by about 10.  Recruitment and some of the back room structure is and continues to be an issue, concerns over management and new player recruitment are equally valid.  Let everyone have their say without sweeping generalizations or insults.  Doesn’t need to be that way just because some don’t agree.  It’s all opinion and conjecture and no-one on this forum has the “I’m always right” stick.
    The highlighted irony here is why people do sometimes get annoyed at fans posting their concerns. What do you honestly know about Martin Sandgaard, other than what you've decided you know about him? Unless you know him personally, I suspect very little. So why are you insulting his football knowledge? It's true, he might not even know what shape the ball they use is, but I think it's slightly more likely that you're making a sweeping assumption, barbed with an insult, based on conjecture, which is exactly what you're complaining about other people doing. I think I need a lie down actually, this might have finished me.
    Hope you are Okay after your lie down - you need it as your logic must be strangling you.  Your irony in pointing out the irony is well noted.  

Assuming very few of the people on here have worked for a professional football club or played or managed at a professional level, we all still post about players, managers, clubs, training, formation, tactics and share our views/concerns, but apparently someone with absolutely no football connection, no football CV and probably not posting on this forum is not fair game unless I am lifelong mates with him. 

That’s really your point to a post simply asking for a little more tolerance of different views?  Good grief. 

My original post has been deleted and the forum closed for me.  I hate social media, have no twitterverse accounts and this type of response definitely reinforces the view that people are better of without it.
    Jesus Christ. Of course we can all post opinions on tactics and players, but typically we have some concept of the things we're looking at. I don't think Albie Morgan is very good for instance, but I base that on what I've seen. Given that Martin Sandgaard is new on the scene I don't see how we can know anything about him (unless you know him, which is why I added that). Yet despite that you've stated that he 'knows SFA about football', and in the same breath complained that people are making assumptions. You can have reservations and concerns about what's going on at the club, I do too, but I just don't see on what basis you've claimed MS doesn't know anything about football, and the fact you've done that while moaning about people making assumptions is incredible to me, that's all. As for whatever you're talking about at the end there I have no idea. Can't help you with that.
    As your twisted logic turns into a pretzel, you may have noticed you completely missed the whole point of my original, now deleted post, in your zeal to do exactly what the post suggested would be better if we didn’t - I know right, lots of words.  I was asking for a level of tolerance of which you are clearly incapable.  The real blood pressure riser for you seems to be my throw away on MS not knowing about football.  Whereas  you can disparage a player who has over 100 more professional football appearances than you, I am guessing,  I am also fully entitled to my opinion (right or wrong) without you screaming about nonsense guide rails and imposing subjectivities - like I have to know him personally  to form an opinion - and likewise you are very welcome to your opinions on Morgan or anyone else. 

The difference being I wouldn’t be “Jesus Christing” all over the place about your opinion or introducing rules around how or why you form an opinion.  Tell you what, when MS is employed or headhunted by another professional football league side in any of the top 5 divisions I shall happily admit my assumptions around his football knowledge was wrong. how about that?  I’d also delete my original post if I hadn’t already done so.

Meantime I refer you to the main point of the post, rather than this ludicrous side track, but, to be fully frank, I really don’t give two tuppeny fucks what you think, it’s my opinion and I am Okay with it, thanks

Reply away, it will be ignored.
    Thank you, I enjoyed this. It was nonsense entirely, but I enjoyed it. You're talking about tolerance for opinions, which I can assure you everyone on here has, but the point I am making - over and over again sadly - is that you cannot possibly have any basis for your claim that Martin Sandgaard knows 'SFA about football'. It is purest conjecture based on nothing. People can have tolerance for an opinion based on something i.e. x player isn't good or 'I don't think hiring MS is a good idea based on his lack of footballing background' - a perfectly valid thing to think - but your claim that he doesn't know anything about football is completely baseless. Unless of course you've worked with him before and you can base that on something real. It's not a 'nonsense guide rail' to think that you should actually have some knowledge about something before you spaff your opinions all over a message board. I don't want you to admit your assumptions are wrong if he's great at his job, I want you to be happy that we've got a good person involved in signing our players! I wouldn't want you to delete your original post either, I just think you can't just brazenly state something like that about someone's knowledge without knowing a thing about him. You absolute loon.
    I don’t think I have ever read such complete bollocks wrapped in strangled logic, but if it makes you happy, you carry on.  What I do know is MS would not hold the job he has based on football knowledge and his CV in any other professional football club.  That’s a fact, and when it isn’t I’ll admit it. Meantime 1 throw away line has you bent double about MS for some reason, and just being a bit of a cock about it.  I don’t agree with you, you’re free not to agree with me but this constant drivel about a throw away line is quite laughable if it wasn’t so silly
     I thought you were meant to be ignoring me ;)
  • I think there are two completely different was you can do this.

We only have 5 or 6 squad spaces and 3 or 4 of these are probably ring fenced for people the recruitment team have already identified and will come in, or not, whonever the manager is.

So you either get the manager in early and he/she can look at the analysis of the current players, watch videos, speak to Euell and the players and decide who are in his plans and who aren't.

Or wait and do all that in preseason and potentially do a lot of business, again, at the end of the window.  Both in and out.

Personally I don't think 3 or 4 players, better coaching, different formations and tactics are going to turn this squad into top 6 material.  I think it's nearer 10 so the out goings are going to be as important as the in comings.

If you think we are only a hand full of players away (and have total confidence in the recruitment system to get it right) and coaching will make up the difference there really is no rush.  I suspect that's Thomas's veiw of it.
  • The other thing about interviews is they are generally instigated by an application. It is unusual for somebody to apply then reject.
  • RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    RoanRedNY said:
    it’s a real shame that recently fans can’t seem to just post their concerns about the team, recruitment, TS, MS, which are all valid - without a vociferous minority sweepingly insulting or abusing CL or posters with whom they don’t agree.  We are not entitled, or comparing to previous shit owners, TS “bashers” or stupid, we are simply concerned fans.  TS is the owner, but has said and done some bizarre things which give cause for concern, and done some of those things very strangely.  His son knows SFA about football and an estimation of 10x the average sky viewer is an overestimate by about 10.  Recruitment and some of the back room structure is and continues to be an issue, concerns over management and new player recruitment are equally valid.  Let everyone have their say without sweeping generalizations or insults.  Doesn’t need to be that way just because some don’t agree.  It’s all opinion and conjecture and no-one on this forum has the “I’m always right” stick.
    The highlighted irony here is why people do sometimes get annoyed at fans posting their concerns. What do you honestly know about Martin Sandgaard, other than what you've decided you know about him? Unless you know him personally, I suspect very little. So why are you insulting his football knowledge? It's true, he might not even know what shape the ball they use is, but I think it's slightly more likely that you're making a sweeping assumption, barbed with an insult, based on conjecture, which is exactly what you're complaining about other people doing. I think I need a lie down actually, this might have finished me.
    Hope you are Okay after your lie down - you need it as your logic must be strangling you.  Your irony in pointing out the irony is well noted.  

Assuming very few of the people on here have worked for a professional football club or played or managed at a professional level, we all still post about players, managers, clubs, training, formation, tactics and share our views/concerns, but apparently someone with absolutely no football connection, no football CV and probably not posting on this forum is not fair game unless I am lifelong mates with him. 

That’s really your point to a post simply asking for a little more tolerance of different views?  Good grief. 

My original post has been deleted and the forum closed for me.  I hate social media, have no twitterverse accounts and this type of response definitely reinforces the view that people are better of without it.
    Jesus Christ. Of course we can all post opinions on tactics and players, but typically we have some concept of the things we're looking at. I don't think Albie Morgan is very good for instance, but I base that on what I've seen. Given that Martin Sandgaard is new on the scene I don't see how we can know anything about him (unless you know him, which is why I added that). Yet despite that you've stated that he 'knows SFA about football', and in the same breath complained that people are making assumptions. You can have reservations and concerns about what's going on at the club, I do too, but I just don't see on what basis you've claimed MS doesn't know anything about football, and the fact you've done that while moaning about people making assumptions is incredible to me, that's all. As for whatever you're talking about at the end there I have no idea. Can't help you with that.
    As your twisted logic turns into a pretzel, you may have noticed you completely missed the whole point of my original, now deleted post, in your zeal to do exactly what the post suggested would be better if we didn’t - I know right, lots of words.  I was asking for a level of tolerance of which you are clearly incapable.  The real blood pressure riser for you seems to be my throw away on MS not knowing about football.  Whereas  you can disparage a player who has over 100 more professional football appearances than you, I am guessing,  I am also fully entitled to my opinion (right or wrong) without you screaming about nonsense guide rails and imposing subjectivities - like I have to know him personally  to form an opinion - and likewise you are very welcome to your opinions on Morgan or anyone else. 

The difference being I wouldn’t be “Jesus Christing” all over the place about your opinion or introducing rules around how or why you form an opinion.  Tell you what, when MS is employed or headhunted by another professional football league side in any of the top 5 divisions I shall happily admit my assumptions around his football knowledge was wrong. how about that?  I’d also delete my original post if I hadn’t already done so.

Meantime I refer you to the main point of the post, rather than this ludicrous side track, but, to be fully frank, I really don’t give two tuppeny fucks what you think, it’s my opinion and I am Okay with it, thanks

Reply away, it will be ignored.
    Thank you, I enjoyed this. It was nonsense entirely, but I enjoyed it. You're talking about tolerance for opinions, which I can assure you everyone on here has, but the point I am making - over and over again sadly - is that you cannot possibly have any basis for your claim that Martin Sandgaard knows 'SFA about football'. It is purest conjecture based on nothing. People can have tolerance for an opinion based on something i.e. x player isn't good or 'I don't think hiring MS is a good idea based on his lack of footballing background' - a perfectly valid thing to think - but your claim that he doesn't know anything about football is completely baseless. Unless of course you've worked with him before and you can base that on something real. It's not a 'nonsense guide rail' to think that you should actually have some knowledge about something before you spaff your opinions all over a message board. I don't want you to admit your assumptions are wrong if he's great at his job, I want you to be happy that we've got a good person involved in signing our players! I wouldn't want you to delete your original post either, I just think you can't just brazenly state something like that about someone's knowledge without knowing a thing about him. You absolute loon.
    I don’t think I have ever read such complete bollocks wrapped in strangled logic, but if it makes you happy, you carry on.  What I do know is MS would not hold the job he has based on football knowledge and his CV in any other professional football club.  That’s a fact, and when it isn’t I’ll admit it. Meantime 1 throw away line has you bent double about MS for some reason, and just being a bit of a cock about it.  I don’t agree with you, you’re free not to agree with me but this constant drivel about a throw away line is quite laughable if it wasn’t so silly
     I thought you were meant to be ignoring me ;)
    I've heard from a reliable source than in a few months you'll probably stumble upon this argument and think, wtf.
  • The other thing about interviews is they are generally instigated by an application. It is unusual for somebody to apply then reject.
    Depends doesn't it?  It's a bit of a two way process as well, you would think.
  • I want to send best wishes to all candidates facing exams during this period of time, be they GCSE’s, A-levels, University finals and whatever. Also very best wishes to friends and families and especially teachers doing what they can to be supportive.
    It is a drag this phenomena takes place during hay fever season, and the format of examinations is questionable anyway, but most of all the amount of missed school and disruption that people have faced due to Covid makes these current exams pretty tough.

• Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    The other thing about interviews is they are generally instigated by an application. It is unusual for somebody to apply then reject.

The difference with Football over other Jobs is the wages aren't advertised(normally)- how much control will you have with incoming transfers- can you bring in your Assistance- what is the length of the contract- moving kids to a local school or commute- myriad of reasons why in football someone might apply and reject.
  • Apologies if there has already been some discussion on the merits/demerits of Darren Ferguson as a potential successor to Jackson, but unless he's already made it known he's not interested, I would have thought he might be as he ticks the box for past L1 experience and is not long out of the game.  Not heard of him linked elsewhere yet, but I'm probably wrong about that. Not saying he'd be considered preferable to others mentioned and I don't have a view, one way or the other, but I'm surprised he seems to be going under the radar (Unless he's on his way back to the Posh of course!) 
  • edited May 2022
    The other thing about interviews is they are generally instigated by an application. It is unusual for somebody to apply then reject.
    Disagree.

This isn't an openly advertised role with salary range or other T & Cs set out.

So a manager or her agent might express an interest and then so "no" when the wages, length of contract and levels of control etc etc are discovered.

That was subtle Henry...Mmmm B)
  • Have we considered appointing a black box as manager?

Would be cheap, consistent, anonymous and TS knows how to control it.

Ticks all the boxes. 

Ticks all the boxes. 

Except the CL height test (Unless we mount it on a tall frame)
  • I was walking in Memphis. 
    Do you really feel the way I feel ?

Ticks all the boxes. 

• 10 days until the next ST deadline passes, I certainly won't be biting unless we've made some kind of progress by next week. 
  • edited May 2022
    DA9 said:
    Seems everyone has forgotten how an interview process works, I’ve interviewed before, over 1-2 weeks, I didn’t give it to the first person I liked, I interviewed all the candidates that applied then assessed at the end with an offer, worked down the chain after that if the first choice declined. 
    Spot on .. plus if our main target was still involved at his club then you have to wait simple 

Once went for an interview. Was told should hear the next day. Heard nothing for two weeks. Then found out another candidate was on holiday and they had to wait until she returned to interview her also. Anyway after the wait, I was offered and accepted the job. Oddly the woman was also offered another job, but not before I was given first refusal. They had made the decision of who got first dibs once all of the interviews were concluded.