Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    I once asked Karl Robinson if the players had ever read the Laws of Football. Quick as a flash he answered that most of them are too stupid to read.
    I know I am in a minority of 1 but really liked Karl Robinson.
    You're not.  I liked him too.
    me as well despite him being a gasbag 
  • Just watched the highlights of the Port Vale v Swindon second leg play off match. I thought Port Vale completely dominated both possession and attempts on goal. 
    You could have just looked at the stats for that ;)

Interestingly, you are wrong, Swindon had slightly more possession (54%). They had 3 shots on goal less, but did only have one shot on target. In fairness to Garner, unless he was also playing in attack I'm not entirely sure that's completely his fault. 
    I decided to watch it hoping to confirm the possession based style of play that the statistics that have been posted seemed to demonstrate. Obviously highlights of one game doesn’t prove anything one way or the other. But I was disappointed to not see a dominating passing possession based style of play. I have never heard of Ben Garner or watched any matches involving teams he was managing. 
    Highlights were on the Quest show every week. I paid attention the the Swindon matches because of JW, and Davison later on. Their games always looked quite exciting. 
  • DA9 said:
    Just been told that TS is definitely over next week with “other shareholders”
    Read into that what you will.

Image result for tahnoon nimerSee related image detailImage result for donald trump thumbs up
    Image result for andi peters ed the duck
    Like the idea of Trump, he has some good history on twitter, could mix it up a bit.. B)
    Does Edd the duck prefer 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 though?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    I once asked Karl Robinson if the players had ever read the Laws of Football. Quick as a flash he answered that most of them are too stupid to read.
    Seems like he'd be great fun for a pint but wouldn't want him to be my manager...
  • Loving the faux loyalty and enthusiasm for the new coach no one had never heard of until five minutes ago but suddenly everyone now acknowledges as the next Klopp.

Big and totally unnecessary gamble from our owner if true at a time when he can't afford many more mistakes.   

It's how Charlton fans are programmed .

If it looks like a turd and smells like a turd we can't bring ourselves to accept it is a turd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Loving the faux loyalty and enthusiasm for the new coach no one had never heard of until five minutes ago but suddenly everyone now acknowledges as the next Klopp.

Big and totally unnecessary gamble from our owner if true at a time when he can't afford many more mistakes.   

It's how Charlton fans are programmed .

If it looks like a turd and smells like a turd we can't bring ourselves to accept it is a turd.
    What are you talking about? There are tons of people throwing their toys out of the pram about it, because we couldn't attract managers that were wanted by Championship clubs.
  • DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    If the "other shareholders" part is true, it leads to two possible conclusions:
    1) TS is unwilling to bankroll our current losses on his own, i.e. it's more expensive than he thought it would be to compete
    2) TS is bringing in extra investment to get us where he wants us to be, for the same reason as above

To a certain extent both could be considered "a good thing"(tm). If there's extra investors then it will dilute Tommy's control over the club and hopefully lead to a more structured decision making process, and probably a CEO being put in place who would represent all investors interests. And of course extra money (if it is option 2) is always nice to have at any level.

The hope from our point of view has to be that TS has realised that the squad simply isn't good enough and needs a major overhaul rather than the cheaper incremental improvements he was hoping for. My additional hope would be that he realised that he can't get the losses down whilst he doesn't own the ground, doesn't own Sparrows Lane and isn't a Cat 1 academy, and that additional investment is the only way to achieve those aims in a timely fashion.

Or maybe he's just got a rich mate who's a drummer and has convinced him to invest on the basis that they can perform together at the valley whenever they like and 10,000+ people have to watch them
    Someone in the club told me, wouldn’t elaborate further, also said that genuinely doesn’t know who has the job or if anyones been offered it, but I would expect them to say that regardless tbh 
    Fair enough, and all interesting stuff.

If TS is over next week then you'd expect an official announcement either not long before he arrives, or just after. He's going to want to be in videos/photos with the new manager either at announcement or very shortly afterwards,
    Only we can fuck up the announcement of a new manager, if it is BG imagine what a let down the news and video will be when its made official. 

Certain people on here will be tearing the walls down in a week if BG has not signed 6 players, never mind been photographed with scarfy. 
    If it is going to be BG, then I reckon it'll be announced either tomorrow or Saturday. As you say, there's no way they can hold off an announcement any longer than that. TS will then fly in sometime between Saturday and Monday (no point in TS and investors arriving any later than that when the second half of the week is a double bank holiday)

If it's not going to be BG, then TS' imminent arrival suggests they hope to make an announcement next week

who wouldnt have been a big gamble?

adkins
  • We are not interviewing other managers, I don't think he (TS) realised the sort of response he would get by this appointment. He has been lucky when, with Adkins he went on a run, then the players chucked under the bus, as it was the same players who got Jackson the job. He drags his heels with that appointment, and this one had to be the right one and make a statement to back up his hype and where we will be in five years.
    IMO and this is only my opinion once again he has failed to do this, and it is clear that MS has been pivotal in all of this with his so called data input.
    The backlash is short term as well as long term, the next appointment has to be one that will want fans to buy season tickets, buy merchandise, etc. The new appointment also has to be one that the players want to play under, and the current squad feel that he can improve them as individuals as well as a team.
    The long term is that we will once again start the season as we did last year, although as stated by TS they are going to learn from their recruitment last year, new manager half through the season and another year in league one , gates dwindle, we will not be able to attract and afford the players that would get us promotion, so TS has to get it right and not go on his sons stats,

Probably me but I don’t really get what you’re trying to say. Are you saying that the way Garner has been received on football forums has stopped TS from pushing ahead with the appointment at least for now ? 
    it would appear so, and not just football also social media
  • paulfox said:
    DA9 said:

Image result for tahnoon nimerSee related image detailImage result for donald trump thumbs up
    Image result for andi peters ed the duck
    Like the idea of Trump, he has some good history on twitter, could mix it up a bit.. B)
    Does Edd the duck prefer 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 though?
    Christmas tree or 'Flying V' 

GK
    RB CB CB LB 
    CM CM CM
    AM AM 
    FW
  • Sponsored links:

Bit of a bold statement when nobody knows why he was appointed over Taylor or Beale or how he interviewed compared to them.

he has a better league 2 win rate than Taylor (okay, over less games) and has a similar coaching cv to Beale.

why is it an unnecessary gamble? This is football, aren't all appointments a gamble? Were curbishley, Lawrence, Powell and bowyer all gambles? As was Ferguson at Man U!

I don't know if garner is good or not, time will tell.  Just because he was under the radar, is he less of a gamble than Taylor?
    Do we even know if Taylor or Beale were interviewed?

who wouldnt have been a big gamble?
    Think @grumpyaddick should answer this
  • We are nearing that time now where it's been almost 24 hours.

We are going to start seeing the same people that were moaning yesterday about being underwhelmed, turn to moaning that it's not been announced yet.

And then around that time we get the moaners that moan at the moaners come out to start having a good moan about the moaners moaning.
    Swiftly followed by moaners that moan about moaners moaning about other moaners moaning popping up to moan about moaners moaning about moaning moaners.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    seth plum said:
    You're not.  I liked him too.
    He has good qualities as a manager, but he had clearly lost interest at the end.  Who can blame him. 
  • We are not interviewing other managers, I don't think he (TS) realised the sort of response he would get by this appointment. He has been lucky when, with Adkins he went on a run, then the players chucked under the bus, as it was the same players who got Jackson the job. He drags his heels with that appointment, and this one had to be the right one and make a statement to back up his hype and where we will be in five years.
    IMO and this is only my opinion once again he has failed to do this, and it is clear that MS has been pivotal in all of this with his so called data input.
    The backlash is short term as well as long term, the next appointment has to be one that will want fans to buy season tickets, buy merchandise, etc. The new appointment also has to be one that the players want to play under, and the current squad feel that he can improve them as individuals as well as a team.
    The long term is that we will once again start the season as we did last year, although as stated by TS they are going to learn from their recruitment last year, new manager half through the season and another year in league one , gates dwindle, we will not be able to attract and afford the players that would get us promotion, so TS has to get it right and not go on his sons stats,

Probably me but I don’t really get what you’re trying to say. Are you saying that the way Garner has been received on football forums has stopped TS from pushing ahead with the appointment at least for now ? 
    it would appear so, and not just football also social media
    Chris Wilder all over again!
  • At the beginning of the play off second leg highlights I noticed that the Port Vale manager was shown as "manager" on the team sheet whereas Ben Garner was shown as "Head Coach".