Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• The only two people who are staying calm and know what’s happening are TS and Ben Garner … sure we will all find out later next week …… 
    Stop being sensible, it spoils the fun  :)
  • wmcf123 said:
    supaclive said:
    Its a very weird obsession about what MS does or doesnt do. Honestly, it really is.
    Er…no, it’s not weird at all.

Recruitment is THE most critical aspect of running a football club.

We have given a critical role to the owners son who has zero football experience or contacts.

If people can’t see a problem there it’s because they don’t want to see it.

Giving jobs to you kids is a really, really stupid idea, it does them no good and wreaks havoc across the organisation, not just because of their incompetence but because you are short circuiting the chain of command.

How many people will stand up to Martin Sandgaard knowing he will run straight to Daddy? That results in bad decisions.

Its a huge problem.
    It is weird to constantly talk about it. It's the same conversation over and over again with no change in end result. Did you read the performance analyst role for spurs? You don't even need a coaching licence.
    I said myself this could go wrong but let's face it, he could help identify players with our scouts and bring in some good players and people like you will find things to keep up the witch-hunt.
    He's been doing the job for 18 months already.....

Then apart from mentioning a training change...what has he actually done that has pissed people off so much apart from his last name being Sandgaard?
    The people that seem personally affronted by the criticism are more baffling that the serial moaners 
    Not affronted..looking to be shown why he is so awful? I've already said hiring him is a risk but that's not confirmed yet so I'll ask again...why is it so bad?
    how about telling a player the manager was going before TS had told the manager. The response from TS to this episode was  effectively to blame Washington for upsetting JJ. This is as unprofessional as it gets. 
  • edited May 2022
    The only two people who are staying calm and know what’s happening are TS and Ben Garner … sure we will all find out later next week …… 

Ah...Mañana... B)
  • edited May 2022
    Still no manager !
    Did you expect an announcement on the weekend ? I'd have thought it'd be before the next ST deadline, so Monday or Tuesday. 
  • vffvff
    edited May 2022
    vff said:
    I’m not sure why people necessarily think Michael Beale would have “connections” over and above someone like Garner. In fact apart from Aston Villa now and previously Rangers who I doubt is a likely loan opportunity for Charlton I think Garner has probably better connections near the first team squads of WBA and Crystal Palace. Nothing to do with their individual merits as coaches but purely trying to nail this “connection” myth.

Aston Villa: Michael Beale - meet the man behind Steven Gerrard's success
    'So how did the ex-Chelsea, Liverpool and Sao Paulo coach come to be such a key figure alongside Gerrard and how did he have such a monumental impact on Rangers?'
    So no connections there eh ?
    Article is good on the coaching philosophy and previous Charlton connections.
    In saying the above, I am not saying that Garner doesn't have his own connections or coaching skills.Or that Garner may be better suited to pick decent potential lower league players, due to his experience, if funds are restricted. Beale maybe able better with good quality loans and promising young players. These are going to important in most League One teams, particularly if Sandgaard is not spending heavily.
    Beale would have developed connections in his roles with the clubs he worked out. It would be blinkered to ignore Beale's potential links, particularly in the UK. Also, by the fact that he has been working in the premiership.
    It is looking like Garner (or other) in any case, and Beale may be looking for better access to funds and quality of player further up the pyramid.
    His coaching at Chelsea and Liverpool were not with the first team squad but restricted to youth development. Not sure what his role at São Paulo was. His stint at Rangers with rookie manager Gerrard was his first I believe working with the first team. Of course he’s now working alongside Gerrard at Villa. Now I’m not saying he doesn’t have connections at any of those former clubs but are they close to first team ? I expect not apart from Rangers and perhaps São Paulo for both clubs it’s an unlikely avenue for loans. Garner on the other hand has been involved with both Crystal Palace and WBA in the Premiership at first team level. I would imagine he has good connections at both clubs. No idea who is the better coach or option but I don’t see any reason to drool over Beale’s club connections any more than Garners. 
    Drooling ???? Its a matter of opinion as to whether you think who has the better connections. Beale is at Villa currently and close to Gerrard, who has a long time Liverpool and England International. That's going to help.
    Glad to see you have rowed back on Beales connections being entirely mythical. I am going to leave it at that, as a) its pulling over the fine details of something unlikely to happen - Beale arriving and b) life is too short.
  • I've just realised that the TS master plan for success is to sack a manager who achieved 13th in League 1 after starting his tenure in the relegation zone and was quickly snapped up by the team that finished 23rd in the same league....

with a manager who finished 6th in the league below us and has no track record to suggest he will succeed at a higher level.

No wonder we are reluctant to announce it.   
    Probably something to do with Swindon being favourites for relegation at the start of the season, while Charlton were one of the favourites for reaching the play-offs. I should have thought.
    The odds for us to get in the playoffs when Jackson took over did not agree with your comment. That's why our odds at the time to finish top half were so attractive. 
  • Isn't Thomas due to come over soon. It will be then.
  • redbuttle said:
    Isn't Thomas due to come over soon. It will be then.
    That way he can make it all about him. Maybe even write a song for the grand unveiling.
  • Sponsored links:

• paulfox said:
    redbuttle said:
    That way he can make it all about him. Maybe even write a song for the grand unveiling.
    Or he could be  doing the polite, professional thing and meet his new manager in person and give him his support, seeing as he’s relying on the fella to prove he is not just spunking money on nothing. If he wants to put a bit of his pazzazz on it, that’s up to him, it’s his money not ours.
    That would make sense. After all, that's exactly what he did with Jacko...
  • paulfox said:
    redbuttle said:
    Or he could be  doing the polite, professional thing and meet his new manager in person and give him his support, seeing as he’s relying on the fella to prove he is not just spunking money on nothing. If he wants to put a bit of his pazzazz on it, that’s up to him, it’s his money not ours.
    Why give a failing manager support when he’s gonna sack him?, JJ wasn’t doing a good enough job. Get over it. Good luck to the new man, if he does well I look forward to you posting what a good decision TS made…… oh wait!!🤣
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    redbuttle said:
    Why give a failing manager support when he’s gonna sack him?, JJ wasn’t doing a good enough job. Get over it. Good luck to the new man, if he does well I look forward to you posting what a good decision TS made…… oh wait!!🤣
    chill out, it was a joke. Of course I wasn't talking about the support, more about the polite, professional thing to do it in person. He sacked a manager by phonecall, not sure why he can't hire one over the phone. And I've said nothing overly negative about Garner, he's a gamble but I'm not sure which manager wouldn't be. 
  • paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    redbuttle said:
    chill out, it was a joke. Of course I wasn't talking about the support, more about the polite, professional thing to do it in person. He sacked a manager by phonecall, not sure why he can't hire one over the phone. And I've said nothing overly negative about Garner, he's a gamble but I'm not sure which manager wouldn't be. 
    Sorry didn’t read it as a joke,apologies, I can’t see how JJ could have been surprised though, to be honest nobody does all the fanfare for the outgoing man😂, might be something original😂, haven’t got a clue who or how the next man will do but all we can/ should do is give them our full support, until it’s obvious things are not working. I think quite a lot of patience was shown for jj near the end, anyone else would have got the bullet earlier.
  • AndyG said:
    wmcf123 said:
    supaclive said:
    Its a very weird obsession about what MS does or doesnt do. Honestly, it really is.

We have given a critical role to the owners son who has zero football experience or contacts.

Giving jobs to you kids is a really, really stupid idea, it does them no good and wreaks havoc across the organisation, not just because of their incompetence but because you are short circuiting the chain of command.

How many people will stand up to Martin Sandgaard knowing he will run straight to Daddy? That results in bad decisions.

Its a huge problem.
    It is weird to constantly talk about it. It's the same conversation over and over again with no change in end result. Did you read the performance analyst role for spurs? You don't even need a coaching licence.
    I said myself this could go wrong but let's face it, he could help identify players with our scouts and bring in some good players and people like you will find things to keep up the witch-hunt.

Then apart from mentioning a training change...what has he actually done that has pissed people off so much apart from his last name being Sandgaard?
    The people that seem personally affronted by the criticism are more baffling that the serial moaners 
    Not affronted..looking to be shown why he is so awful? I've already said hiring him is a risk but that's not confirmed yet so I'll ask again...why is it so bad?
    how about telling a player the manager was going before TS had told the manager. The response from TS to this episode was  effectively to blame Washington for upsetting JJ. This is as unprofessional as it gets. 
    This is another example of us all know half the story and coming up with what we think is the true picture.
    Was CW told "The new Manager" or "If there is a new manager" ? None of us know do we. Also we all seem to think the news was a massive surprise JJ went. If you have a job where your contract states you need to hit certain levels of performance why on earth would you be shocked if you had your contract terminated if you failed to meet the terms of your contract ? In normal life many jobs are performance related and it is accepted that if you fail to deliver you go, simple as that. Many of us (including me) stated before any of this came out that the contract extensions were not being sorted as they would be dependant on who the manager is.
    I presume from what you say that you didn't believe Thomas when this question wss raised with him a few weeks before and he confirmed that JJ was def going to be manager the following season. Do you think it was professional for MS to discuss doubt about manager with a player while Jacko thinks he is still going to be the manager?
  • Got a message before the Mansfield game from a Rovers mate who reckoned we were in for Nigel Clough, don’t shoot the messenger!
  • AndyG said:
    wmcf123 said:
    supaclive said:

Its a huge problem.

This is another example of us all know half the story and coming up with what we think is the true picture.
    Was CW told "The new Manager" or "If there is a new manager" ? None of us know do we. Also we all seem to think the news was a massive surprise JJ went. If you have a job where your contract states you need to hit certain levels of performance why on earth would you be shocked if you had your contract terminated if you failed to meet the terms of your contract ? In normal life many jobs are performance related and it is accepted that if you fail to deliver you go, simple as that. Many of us (including me) stated before any of this came out that the contract extensions were not being sorted as they would be dependant on who the manager is.
    I presume from what you say that you didn't believe Thomas when this question wss raised with him a few weeks before and he confirmed that JJ was def going to be manager the following season. Do you think it was professional for MS to discuss doubt about manager with a player while Jacko thinks he is still going to be the manager?
    A few weeks before. As I keep trying to say nobody can be surprised if you fail to meet the criteria of your contract. Maybe I'm just a bit harsh because my entire working life has been in a results oriented environment where if you miss your targets your toast. If JJ was in anyway surprised when he heard the news I would suggest he was very naive that's all
  • AndyG said:
    wmcf123 said:
    supaclive said:

Its a huge problem.

Maybe TS thought he would when asked, or later changed his mind. His prerogative! Who knows what MS knew for sure at the time CW asked him about a new contract. Asked a direct question, perhaps he should have said he couldn't discuss it, but it sounds as though he naively answered honestly to the best of his knowledge.

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs and we all make mistakes. What's done is done and I think we need to move on. CW has!

I'm posting under the influence BTW!
  • swordfish said:
    AndyG said:
    wmcf123 said:
    supaclive said:

Its a huge problem.

Maybe TS thought he would when asked, or later changed his mind. His prerogative! Who knows what MS knew for sure at the time CW asked him about a new contract. Asked a direct question, perhaps he should have said he couldn't discuss it, but it sounds as though he naively answered honestly to the best of his knowledge.

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs and we all make mistakes. What's done is done and I think we need to move on. CW has!

I'm posting under the influence BTW!
    Congrats on talking so much sense whilst under the influence mate
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    shine166 said:
    Still no manager !
    Did you expect an announcement on the weekend ? I'd have thought it'd be before the next ST deadline, so Monday or Tuesday. 
    I expected one before now. Having experienced the big flop of last close season's recruitment one would have thought that TS would have had an idea of who the replacement was before now.  
    Instead we are worse off than last season at this point.
    The most likely scenario is that the deal has been done & Garner is our coach/manager.
    Sandgaard (the band) released their debut EP this week, which will be taking up TS's time.
    I expect the deal to be announced this week when TS comes over from the US.
    https://rocknloadmag.com/news/us-rock-band-sandgaard-release-debut-ep-on-my-way/
    Crap. Wont ever pass for music. 

So, Thomas is now having to not only concentrate on his main business of running a Nasdaq listed company he is recording EP's too. Just wondering how much of his time a piddly football club on the other side of the Atlantic takes up......

2% ???
  • shine166 said:
    Still no manager !
    I expected one before now. Having experienced the big flop of last close season's recruitment one would have thought that TS would have had an idea of who the replacement was before now.  
    The most likely scenario is that the deal has been done & Garner is our coach/manager.
    Sandgaard (the band) released their debut EP this week, which will be taking up TS's time.
    I expect the deal to be announced this week when TS comes over from the US.
    https://rocknloadmag.com/news/us-rock-band-sandgaard-release-debut-ep-on-my-way/
    Sounds like aging musicians trying to recreate their 80s heyday.  As a fan of 1980s rock/metal it is ok but jaded. 
  • redbuttle said:
    I think he's only over to play the National Anthem on guitar atop Buckingham Palace.
  • shine166 said:
    Still no manager !
    I expect the deal to be announced next week when TS comes over from the US.
      Oh no not more cheesy rock anthems to be played at the beginning of matches please!!!
  • paulfox said:
    redbuttle said:

That doesnt stop it from being annouced though does it? and why deny it and tell a random on linkedin theyre still interviewing people knowing thta´ll probably be all over the internet 10 mins later. It can be annouced and he can still parachute into the Valley with a copy of the contract to sign to his latest single. 
  • Sue Gallop talking about TS and Garner about 3.5 hours in:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0c58wvh