Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    CafcSteve said:
    Looks like Garner on holiday that’s what the delay is …. 
    Thanks Ronnie.

Might be half tempted to believe you if it wasn’t for the fact that every other thing you’ve claimed has turned out to be incorrect.

Any news on those incoming players from Plymouth that your relative who owned the local paper told you about a year ago?
    The site on Instagram been pretty spot on .. so we shall see 
    Can’t think of anything that you’ve said that has happened?
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    And a view from left field-- Quote- The Zynex mission is to improve the quality of patience- WTF. We all know its to rip the patience off in this 'Land of the Free'' Thank God for Universal Health Care, With all its problems ,100% better than the U S
    The NHS buys equipment too you know, from the very same markets as the Americans. It’s not all altruism that makes the NHS run. 
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    And a view from left field-- Quote- The Zynex mission is to improve the quality of patience- WTF. We all know its to rip the patience off in this 'Land of the Free'' Thank God for Universal Health Care, With all its problems ,100% better than the U S
    Did they really spell “patients” as “patience”?! 
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    paulg1947 said:
    Charlton (fans/owners/players) try my fecking patience sometimes
  • Options
    I remember being shocked when Sandgaard announced that it wouldn't cost much to get rid of Jackson.  I mean, Jackson was still in the job, hardly motivational to hear that and actually quite destabilising toboot.  Now we hear that Garner is almost in the job, it's just that Sandaard is looking for someone better.

If I was Garner, and if I was told the job's probably mine, and if I'd been left dangling on a piece of string, and if Sandgaard's still looking for someone 'better,' and if after weeks of turmoil and disruption finally told the job is mine  ... I'd tell him to 'go eff himself'. 

I don't think Sandgaard need apply for a job in the diplomatic service,

A lot of unfounded speculation there Raith…..if you don’t mind me saying so. 🤔
  • Options
    I always thought patients were a virtue
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Surely any manager with an ounce of sense won't agree to performance-related clauses when they have no control over recruitment. 
    Which is why, imo, we still don’t have one. 

No manager, half a squad and the season starts earlier than ever before, but better not suggest other clubs are ahead of us. 

Ben Garner took over Swindon with about 7 players and after Bristol Rovers didn't work out he didn't have many options of getting a manager's job in the EFL. Charlton would be a step up despite the implosion of the last decade or so at Cafc.

Just a gut instinct but ever since JJ left I have been convinced that the decision would be made on the 31/5 or 1/6.

I believe Cawley contacts have given him the correct information and unless Thomas Sandgaard has done a U-turn because of the initial negativity when RC did the scoop then Ben Garner will be the next person in the hot seat.

League One is  a much tougher league, but I’d be happy with Garner l, unfortunately if rumours are true of bat shit crazy contracts, we’ll be lucky to get a manager from a non league club.
  • Options
    I always thought patients were a virtue
    They are if your business is bad. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    A bit of factual analysis.

I've said (repeatedly) that Sandgaard is trying to bring his successful business principles into our world of football.

On that basis, I thought I'd take a look at the Job descriptions for current vacancies on his Zynex website.

Almost 90% of his 227 vacancies are for Medical Device Sales reps. and here's the wording he has used (italics and bold text are his, not mine):

Do you want to join a successful fast-paced growing company with opportunity to help patients and make money?

The Zynex mission is to improve the life-quality of patients suffering from debilitating pain. We are seeking:  Self-confident, self-starting, resourceful, assertive, and persuasive individuals who will promote and generate prescriptions from physical therapists and pain management doctors for our NexWave pain management device. The NexWave is an alternative to opioid pain medications.  You must be able to build loyalty with clinicians and doctors developing your prescription-based stream of business.  Able to demonstrate influencing and sales skills, and you must possess the drive and discipline to accomplish goals on a weekly basis. Previous sales experience is a plus, but you may qualify based on a strong desire to be the best.  Requirements:  Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and mobile phone. We offer training, a generous base salary, uncapped commissions, benefits, with a $20,000 sign-on bonus and management support for your success.

What I will highlight is this:

"you must possess the drive and discipline to accomplish goals on a weekly basis"

I'm pretty sure that this performance-related approach did for Jackson, and Sandgaard won't let that approach go.  "Hey, it works in the business world, so why not use it here?  Football is no different."

This is where Sandgaard needs to take advice.  To find the middle ground.

Yes, have your performance targets.  No problem with that.  But any contract needs to include agreed caveats (on both sides), clearly identified extenuating circumstances (on both sides) and a mechanism to review if and when the unexpected happens (on both sides).

This is not typical practice in medical sales ... you either deliver or get the boot.  

I suspect that our new manager hiring process is suffering from this type of inflexibility.

Yes, but this is a job description for Sales Reps.  All of this is pretty standard stuff for such a role.  

There needs to be an element of performance related pay/reward in every job.  The issue I would imagine for a lot of candidates if I am reading the posts right is that managing/coaching us comes with a framework that some may not be able to work within because they don’t have the final say on recruitment or total control over the footballing side of things.  I understand looking for comparisons with Zynex because I am sure a lot of what he does there in running the business is the same ethos he’s brought to us, but the comparison for his generic industry standard job ads for sales reps versus his approach to finding a manager will probably be a bit different.  
  • Options
    New manager won’t be Michael Beale, he’s been given permission by Villa to speak to QPR. 

Big miss IMO but unlikely to have happened given our League 1 status 
    Plus his salary … was way out of league one 
    What was his salary expectation, Colin?
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Emma Hayes anyone?
    Great for publicity / Sponsorship.
    Reckon she be great as a manager too.

She doesn't want to come here, she views Chelsea women's side and the super League as a whole as the same level as the men's, so she wouldn't even go to a men's championship side if you ask me 
  • Options
    New manager won’t be Michael Beale, he’s been given permission by Villa to speak to QPR. 

Big miss IMO but unlikely to have happened given our League 1 status 
    Could have happened earlier in the season though, but the usual Sandgaard antics put a stop to that. 
  • Options
    A heads up to anyone that was thinking of reading the posts since last night - don't bother.
    Beale looks like he's going to QPR and that's it.
    You can’t tell me what to do!
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Surely any manager with an ounce of sense won't agree to performance-related clauses when they have no control over recruitment. 
    Which is why, imo, we still don’t have one. 

No manager, half a squad and the season starts earlier than ever before, but better not suggest other clubs are ahead of us. 

Ben Garner took over Swindon with about 7 players and after Bristol Rovers didn't work out he didn't have many options of getting a manager's job in the EFL. Charlton would be a step up despite the implosion of the last decade or so at Cafc.

Just a gut instinct but ever since JJ left I have been convinced that the decision would be made on the 31/5 or 1/6.

I believe Cawley contacts have given him the correct information and unless Thomas Sandgaard has done a U-turn because of the initial negativity when RC did the scoop then Ben Garner will be orthe next person in the hot seat.

League One is  a much tougher league, but I’d be happy with Garner l, unfortunately if rumours are true of bat shit crazy contracts, we’ll be lucky to get a manager from a non league club.
    Or the owners son ?  B)
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    paulg1947 said:
    Charlton (fans/owners/players) try my fecking patience sometimes

Doctor: Mr. Bertenshaw?

Mr. B: Me, Doctor.

Doctor: No, me doctor, you Mr. Bertenshaw.

Mr. B: My wife, doctor...

Doctor: No, your wife patient.

Sister: Come with me, please.

Mr. B: Me, Sister?

Doctor: No, she Sister, me doctor, you Mr. Bertenshaw.

Nurse: Dr. Walters?

Doctor: Me, nurse...You Mr. Bertenshaw, she Sister, you doctor.

Sister: No, doctor.

Doctor: No Doctor? Call ambulance, keep warm.

Nurse: Drink, doctor?

Doctor: Drink doctor, eat Sister, cook Mr. Bertenshaw, nurse me!

Nurse: You, doctor?

Doctor: ME doctor!! You Mr. Bertenshaw. She Sister!

Mr. B: But my wife, nurse...

Doctor: Your wife not nurse. She nurse, your wife patient. Be patient, she nurse your wife. Me doctor, you tent, you tree, you Tarzan, me Jane, you Trent, you Trillo...me doctor!

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Dave Rudd said:

I've said (repeatedly) that Sandgaard is trying to bring his successful business principles into our world of football.

On that basis, I thought I'd take a look at the Job descriptions for current vacancies on his Zynex website.

Almost 90% of his 227 vacancies are for Medical Device Sales reps. and here's the wording he has used (italics and bold text are his, not mine):

Do you want to join a successful fast-paced growing company with opportunity to help patients and make money?

The Zynex mission is to improve the life-quality of patients suffering from debilitating pain. We are seeking:  Self-confident, self-starting, resourceful, assertive, and persuasive individuals who will promote and generate prescriptions from physical therapists and pain management doctors for our NexWave pain management device. The NexWave is an alternative to opioid pain medications.  You must be able to build loyalty with clinicians and doctors developing your prescription-based stream of business.  Able to demonstrate influencing and sales skills, and you must possess the drive and discipline to accomplish goals on a weekly basis. Previous sales experience is a plus, but you may qualify based on a strong desire to be the best.  Requirements:  Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and mobile phone. We offer training, a generous base salary, uncapped commissions, benefits, with a $20,000 sign-on bonus and management support for your success.

"you must possess the drive and discipline to accomplish goals on a weekly basis"

I'm pretty sure that this performance-related approach did for Jackson, and Sandgaard won't let that approach go.  "Hey, it works in the business world, so why not use it here?  Football is no different."

Yes, have your performance targets.  No problem with that.  But any contract needs to include agreed caveats (on both sides), clearly identified extenuating circumstances (on both sides) and a mechanism to review if and when the unexpected happens (on both sides).

This is not typical practice in medical sales ... you either deliver or get the boot.  

I suspect that our new manager hiring process is suffering from this type of inflexibility.

Yes, but this is a job description for Sales Reps.  All of this is pretty standard stuff for such a role.  

There needs to be an element of performance related pay/reward in every job.  The issue I would imagine for a lot of candidates if I am reading the posts right is that managing/coaching us comes with a framework that some may not be able to work within because they don’t have the final say on recruitment or total control over the footballing side of things.  I understand looking for comparisons with Zynex because I am sure a lot of what he does there in running the business is the same ethos he’s brought to us, but the comparison for his generic industry standard job ads for sales reps versus his approach to finding a manager will probably be a bit different.  
    Yes, I don't want to imply that the comparison is identical ... simply that I'm sure that Sandgaard will have brought in similar principles if his stated business strategy (Hey, football is no different) is being applied.

We understand that the potential renewal of Jackson's contract was performance-related ... and Jackson was presumably 'let go' as he didn't reach the agreed targets.*

I am suggesting that part of any current delay in appointing a new manager may be due to the inclusion of black-and-white performance targets ... which, I believe, is unusual in the football world, but commonplace in Sandgaard's business world.

I'll leave it there.  It's starting to feel laboured.

* Lots of speculation here, but this seems to be the general understanding

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    arny23394 said:
    Why are people labelled bedwetters for being concerned that we have no manager, and about 3 players good enough for a promotion chasing team? It’s exactly 2 months until our first game and we have so much to do. Bizarre.
    spot on. People last summer were concerned at the slow recruitment, labelled bedwetters, and look how that turned out. 

Yeah, and also, people who worry about something a lot are less likely to wet the bed, as sleep is not forthcoming and toilet visits are facilitated.

My daughter never worries about Charlton's recruitment and she often wets the bed.
    This needs to stop - she’s 27 now.
  • Options
    Rylo said:
    paulg1947 said:
    Yes. Russell Slade did it.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Chunes said:
    Especially when they already have a job. The only type of manager you’re attracting with a contract like that is another Slade or Adkins. I.e, washed up and out of work. 
    At this point, I’m not even sure an Adkins type would accept those clauses after seeing what happened at the Valley last season. And definitely not before pre season started.

We’re going to end up in a Dave Hockaday situation at this rate.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    CH4RLTON said:
    Has Thomas actually landed in the UK yet, if not can we can get a sky scanner on his probable flight? :)
    Could be on his way tonight... 

(these flights run daily)
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Most of the US job market is driven by employment practices known as “at will” with minimal notice periods.  This means employment can be terminated for any reason by both sides. Obviously contract terms may be included at the higher end of the pyramid, and notice periods can be extended by negotiation depending on circumstances.  The rest of the gibberish used in job specs is HR word salad, and any job would include the equivalent of “be able to do the job”.  In short, flogging tabs is not a contracted time bound contract but it can be terminated at any time, subject to notice period and statutory regs ( eg week of money per year of service).  There’s nothing that says they can reduce this in the event the contract is terminated (excluding for cause, which would apply equally to sacking a manager for cause rather than performance).  In short he is not bringing a business approach in, he is reinventing the wheel to limit financial protection to his employees if his decision is wrong, he doesn’t like what he sees and/or doesn’t provide the tools and structure for a manager to succeed.  It is shabby, cheap and unnecessary.  
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    Our mission is to improve the quality of life of patients suffering from debilitating pain or illnesses by providing the highest technology and service standards in the electrotherapy industry.