Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    So after all the shit flinging, it turns out Gallen and MS were responsible for shortlisting and doing most of the interviewing for managers after all. Gallen has not been sidelined.

You mean all the shit that was being flung at people who were questioning Mart's involvement in recruiting for the club, because, you know, he jsut sits on his arse all day picking his nose keeping an eye out for his dad? 

• Options
    Don't know why it's taken so long for me to realise
    I'M CALLING BULLSHIT ON THIS SO CALLED APPOINTMENT!
    Where's Scarfy or Flaggy come to that?
    Fake news, photoshop and flimflam, none of it remotely convincing

Nowhere, not even The OS is immune from malicious hackery
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    "Manager has the final say on transfers, as he should" - Steve Gallen
  • Options
    So after all the shit flinging, it turns out Gallen and MS were responsible for shortlisting and doing most of the interviewing for managers after all. Gallen has not been sidelined.

You mean all the shit that was being flung at people who were questioning Mart's involvement in recruiting for the club, because, you know, he jsut sits on his arse all day picking his nose keeping an eye out for his dad? 

He just brings the analytics view to the recruitment committee. He doesn't get a final say, and Gallen brings the target list to the table.

Stand down.
  • Options

He just brings the analytics view to the recruitment committee. He doesn't get a final say, and Gallen brings the target list to the table.

Stand down.

So completely different to everything him, Roddy, Adkins, Sandgaard and the worst journo in the world Cawley were saying on more than one occasion throughout last season then. 

Good, dumb ass lesson learned.
  • Options

Stand down.
    Exactly. I never got why people thought MS was totally in charge of recruitment. 
  • Options
    One thing we can look forward to with Ben Garner is a manager that has spent a significant part of his career coaching all of kids, teens and adults. He’s going to be able to see what probably none of our recent managers have been able to see. Sounds like coaching is his passion and that’s got to be a massive positive. I expect signings of young players from league two and one that none of us have heard of but he will have tracked. I’m quite excited by the prospect of a Charlton style. Bring on the new season.
    I echo this. I had my doubts but it is exciting to actually bring in a coach, someone who is looking forward to working with the players rather than just putting out a team with a formation and some tactics. 
    A team with a formation and some tactics ? When did we last have that ? 
    Hopefully we sign a few players that can play on the front foot to add to the ones we already have. I'm really interested to see a few of our existing players that didnt perform last year hopefully perform better if we set out with some intent 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    JamesSeed said:

Stand down.
    Exactly. I never got why people thought MS was totally in charge of recruitment. 

No one did... It was a myth made up by people who didn't like any criticism aimed at a Sandgaard, the same 3/4 posters refusing to accept what the debate was about probably to feel more "proper Charlton" as theyre not being "negative" with an "agenda".

Debate was around the process as described on more than one occasion, the level of input of each committee member and said people's skills and qualifications. Again. As described on more than one occasion by committee members as put out in the public domain, unfortunately, some people didn't want to refer to such materials, or most likely, believe it because it "didn't suit their narrative" so we had and still have the same people dismissing it and  the endless fucking debate.

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    mart77 said:
    Redrobo said:
    mart77 said:
    ButtleJR said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Agree but definitely isn't the plan currently...
    Big red flag then, especially when they’d been mentioned as very much part of Garner’s success.
    Stop being alarmist. It really is not a red flag, it is probably just negotiation anyway.

Spin it round and look at things from Swindon Towns perspective. They will now be trying to recruit a manager who will no doubt want to bring his back room boys in with him. What are they going to do with the coaches in place at the moment? Pay them off?

Getting rid without having to pay up their contracts then looks a good option. The less paid to Swindon the better IMO and the pressure is now all on them now that Garner has actually signed.

I am not convinced we need both either. I personally would not like JE binned as I think he is a talented coach.
    Garner’s success has by several Swindon fans been attributed to him AND his coaching team. As has already been mentioned, the compensation would likely be in the 10’s of thousands, so in what is a crucial period in the future of this club, such relatively minimal costs should be expended to get the coaching team needed, especially if that’s what BG wants and it sounds like it is. 

With our need for more coaches as we move toward Cat 1 status I would suggest Euell will find a role but tbh like a number of others I don’t have an issue with a full sweep of the coaching team. 
    10’s of thousands or nothing in a few weeks? 
    It is so easy to spend other peoples money, but I just can’t see TS spending his because a couple of Swindon fans say he should. Maybe you should give it a couple of months before unfurling your big red flag.
    If getting the right support team for BG is being stopped due to haggling over 10’s of thousands, then that is a red flag. (Saying things like ‘unfurling a big red flag’ btw is twatish, and as I’m assuming you’re an adult you should try and avoid that. I desperately want TS to succeed but I’m just not seeing it yet, although changing our style of football is a massive plus.  Also the comment on it not being my money. If that’s the case this forum should close down as we’re all offering opinions. My opinion is if TS wants to stop the bleed of cash being in League 1 then he needs to do all he can to get out and as a MINIMUM, that has to start with a good coaching team that are all on the same page)

I also took into account the poster who said its ‘not in the plan currently’ who’s more informed than many on here. Like I say I think we’re at a crucial point for the club and this appointment really needs to work. 

Anyway LLL&BH
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gallen confirms that for every transfer since Sandgaard has come in, the Manager has been asked does he want them or not.

Some people on this thread should hang their head in shame.

Recruitment process is completely clarified in Gallen's interview for those interested.
    Hold on mate you cant go around saying things like that. It doesnt suit the narrative !!!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Stand down.
    I think it’s more that he has any say whatsoever. 
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Redrobo said:
    mart77 said:
    ButtleJR said:
    PWADDICK said:
    Big red flag then, especially when they’d been mentioned as very much part of Garner’s success.
    Stop being alarmist. It really is not a red flag, it is probably just negotiation anyway.

Spin it round and look at things from Swindon Towns perspective. They will now be trying to recruit a manager who will no doubt want to bring his back room boys in with him. What are they going to do with the coaches in place at the moment? Pay them off?

Getting rid without having to pay up their contracts then looks a good option. The less paid to Swindon the better IMO and the pressure is now all on them now that Garner has actually signed.

I am not convinced we need both either. I personally would not like JE binned as I think he is a talented coach.
    Garner’s success has by several Swindon fans been attributed to him AND his coaching team. As has already been mentioned, the compensation would likely be in the 10’s of thousands, so in what is a crucial period in the future of this club, such relatively minimal costs should be expended to get the coaching team needed, especially if that’s what BG wants and it sounds like it is. 

With our need for more coaches as we move toward Cat 1 status I would suggest Euell will find a role but tbh like a number of others I don’t have an issue with a full sweep of the coaching team. 
    I am curious to know how someone would come to the conclusion that without the coaches, Garners success would of been less. Not saying they aren't important to his success, i'm saying its impossible to know.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Swisdom said:
    Right.  So it's now official and he's come out and said how he wants to play.  I don't think there's many fans who don't want to see us play in a more attractive manner.  To see us play with players who are confident of having the ball.  Players who actually want the ball.

All we, as fans, need to remember is there will be times it doesn't work.  There will be times we concede goals from "fucking about with it" and times where we won't just "knock it forwards" but as BG himself has said, we want to change the ethos of the club and to play like this throughout the ages groups.  The U18's particularly play nice and neat football and take the occasional risks and anyone who has seen them in the last couple of seasons has said how refreshing they are to watch.  Won't it be nice if the first team can replicate that!

I particularly like the way he says we will have a style of play that is the same both home and away.  It's now going to be up to the opposition to nullify us whereas we have been far too predictable previously.  I look forward to seeing us playing it around the opponents and watching them get knackered and watching players like JFC and Fraser pulling the strings.  I also wonder if BG will be able to harness Albie Morgan and get the best value out of him

Obviously there will need to be a number of new bodies and a change in the way the existing ones train and play but if it improves them, and us, I'm all for it.

I'm mildly excited and hope he gets a bit of time and patience, from fans and TS alike, to deliver 
    We played a similar style under Bowyer at times, especially in our promotion season.
    No we didn’t. We had players breaking forward quickly and scored a lot of goals on the counter. At no point under bowyer were we playing patient, intricate football
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Posting without reading since the announcement at midday.

The more I think about it, the more I read and listen and learn, the more this addresses so many issues I brought up in my previews last season.

One thing that has really stuck out to me, away from the whole attacking, possession, shots and all that data, is the one word I hoped would be used from Garner early on. Identity.

What we have lacked since our last promotion season was an identity. I don’t think any of us could say we knew what we were, we knew what our identity was and our approach and a true style of play. Because of that lack of identity, along with the frustrations that occurred throughout last season, and the season before, and the season before that, I truly believe it played a big factor in the lack of discipline that ran throughout the club.

No one in football is successful without a true identity, whatever that may be. And instilling an identity and recognising that process and each step that needs to be made within it is a fundamental part of our pre-season plans.

Getting recruitment right is going to be so crucial, but we all know that. But getting it right to allow Garner to implement his identity on the team in a successful and smooth way is actually even more integral.

Now is really where all the talking needs to stop and we go out and do our business. Now all the moaning and whining needs to stop and we go out and support the team, the players, and the management as much as possible with the knowledge that this process will have lows and it’s not all going to be domination and free flowing every week. Now we need to look forward and as each day goes by, leading up to the opening game of the season, I hope the excitement and anticipation grows with it.

This type of appointment, creating an identity throughout the club that we are going to take forward and improve on, is exactly what we needed as we were unfortunately heading for the abyss. The tide has turned and brighter futures could be round the corner.

Good luck, Ben.
    Sage your name is so accurate you wise fellow ! Hopefully the fans will indeed get behind the team this season even when we lose 2-3 to accrington after 3 suicidal balls across the back line give goals away 🙄 it will take a little bit of time to adapt and implement but I'm sure it's the right way to move forward as a club. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Swisdom said:
    Right.  So it's now official and he's come out and said how he wants to play.  I don't think there's many fans who don't want to see us play in a more attractive manner.  To see us play with players who are confident of having the ball.  Players who actually want the ball.

All we, as fans, need to remember is there will be times it doesn't work.  There will be times we concede goals from "fucking about with it" and times where we won't just "knock it forwards" but as BG himself has said, we want to change the ethos of the club and to play like this throughout the ages groups.  The U18's particularly play nice and neat football and take the occasional risks and anyone who has seen them in the last couple of seasons has said how refreshing they are to watch.  Won't it be nice if the first team can replicate that!

I particularly like the way he says we will have a style of play that is the same both home and away.  It's now going to be up to the opposition to nullify us whereas we have been far too predictable previously.  I look forward to seeing us playing it around the opponents and watching them get knackered and watching players like JFC and Fraser pulling the strings.  I also wonder if BG will be able to harness Albie Morgan and get the best value out of him

Obviously there will need to be a number of new bodies and a change in the way the existing ones train and play but if it improves them, and us, I'm all for it.

I'm mildly excited and hope he gets a bit of time and patience, from fans and TS alike, to deliver 
    We played a similar style under Bowyer at times, especially in our promotion season.
    No we didn’t. We had players breaking forward quickly and scored a lot of goals on the counter. At no point under bowyer were we playing patient, intricate football
    In league 1 we usually had a lot of the ball, didn't have that much pace in the team (especially when Grant left) and didn't play with wingers. Wouldn't say we were a counter attacking team at all. We played out from the back, usually had good possession and Taylor was brilliant at pressing from the front (as was Parker although quite shit at football). We played at a very high intensity early on in games and then would see them out often by keeping the ball, we even scored a lot of late goals ourselves as oppositions were tired at chasing the ball (which then happened to us a lot in the championship)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mart77 said:
    Redrobo said:
    mart77 said:
    ButtleJR said:
    PWADDICK said:

I wonder if those are the same Swindon fans who complain that they just pass the ball around all game and never shoot...despite having the most shots on target of any team in League 2 last season. You can't trust fans of the manager's previous club. If I wanted an honest opinion on how Jackson did last season the last person I would ask would be a Charlton fan
    Who would you ask then (as a fan I mean)? Genuine question.  The Swindon fans will often have differing opinions, like many Charlton fans but I still think you’ll get some semblance of how things have occurred listening to them as like society things tend to balance out when it comes to views.
  • Options
    I'm actually really excited about this one. No-one can guarantee success but at the very least we appear to have brought in a manager who will try and introduce an attacking style after the turgid dreck we've had for the past few years. He's got very recent experience of coming into a club in need of a big squad rebuild and very quickly getting results. Was 3 points off automatics last season. Swindon fans can talk about a lack of plan B all they want but when you score more goals than anyone else in the division wondering why you don't just lump it up top for once is a pretty decent summary of how ridiculous football fans are. The recruitment will be important now but that's our next challenge. Fingers crossed even if we don't have total success we can still enjoy some of the football next season
    If Josh Davison scores his penalty they’re probably not talking about ‘plan B’ and they may get promoted and Garner isn’t our new manager. Funny world. 
    Agent Davison....😄
  • Options
    Welcome Ben, Put a few wins and good performances in and watch the covered end raise the roof every game!!
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:
    They should be here now with Ben to be honest, why wait 
    Garner's obviously happy with how things are. 
    Is he ? 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Swisdom said:

In league 1 we usually had a lot of the ball, didn't have that much pace in the team (especially when Grant left) and didn't play with wingers. Wouldn't say we were a counter attacking team at all. We played out from the back, usually had good possession and Taylor was brilliant at pressing from the front (as was Parker although quite shit at football). We played at a very high intensity early on in games and then would see them out often by keeping the ball, we even scored a lot of late goals ourselves as oppositions were tired at chasing the ball (which then happened to us a lot in the championship)
    Glad I didn’t imagine that. 
  • Options
    Rebuilds take time. 

This is year one. If we have a decent playing style and look like we know what we're doing by the end of the year I will be happy. 

People demanding promotion on day one of Ben being in the role don't really have a clue about the mountain he's facing. Trying to rebuild the club which hasn't really had any changes since the Bowyer days. 
    Has last year just been wiped from the anals of history?
    Like the shit it was