Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Video from a young Swindon fan, with his thoughts on the move and what Garners football will look like, and what players he might bring. I’m living down in Bristol and work (and watch Bath City) with his Dad.

https://twitter.com/luongodinho/status/1534592534634184706

video here:
    https://youtu.be/XGeLmA1N194

• Options
    One thing we can look forward to with Ben Garner is a manager that has spent a significant part of his career coaching all of kids, teens and adults. He’s going to be able to see what probably none of our recent managers have been able to see. Sounds like coaching is his passion and that’s got to be a massive positive. I expect signings of young players from league two and one that none of us have heard of but he will have tracked. I’m quite excited by the prospect of a Charlton style. Bring on the new season.
    This for me.

Was about to post the same thing. One thing is for sure, Garner has spent years coaching players- decent ones at that.It's not like he's just hung up his boots & taken his Pro licence (like some of our recent managers 😉). 

I spy good times ahead. Buying our season tickets tomorrow.
    I'm shocked !!! I mean that as a compliment mate. If your saying positive stuff that's good enough for me 😉
    I have never heard of Garner really before he was mentioned and I have no idea if he will be a success here but it is so refreshing to here someone talking about trying to play decent attacking football and I'm bloody looking forward to watching us try. If I was a player I would also be excited tbh they must have been bored off their heads last season trying to play that boring shite
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Gallen confirms that for every transfer since Sandgaard has come in, the Manager has been asked does he want them or not.

Some people on this thread should hang their head in shame.

Recruitment process is completely clarified in Gallen's interview for those interested.
    Every time Gallen explains the recruitment it's different. 

A veto is only worth while if you have a choice.  
    They have changed what they are saying.
    The questions are were they all failing to explain the process correctly?
    Perhaps, they are telling us what we want to hear?
    Maybe, they are giving Garner more say than Adkins and Jackson?
    I think it's partly all 3 of them.  I also think (or at least hope) they have realised that they completely lost control of the narrative.

Everything anyone on here (including Colin) says that "Martin just does" is exactly the sort of thing that it would be perfectly reasonable for Martin to just do.  Then Thomas comes out and talks about him jumping in the car and going scouting, discovering Fraser and other things that aren't "just" anything.  I think Thomas has also been a bit more honest about the Adkins situation recently.

This is the perfect opportunity to both reset the system and the narrative.  For the first time (under TS) we have a manager that has a good, recent, knowledge of players up and down the leagues.  It would be stupid not to use that.

I think Ganer is a great appointment, I said he would be a good option before the sausagedog broke the story.  I am not sure the coaches situation is as important as it was with Adkins because they worked together for months, not years.  He does, however, need to be in control of who he has as his staff.

If it doesn't work out I want it to be because he insisted on playing Morgan at center back.  Not because he was given a squad that wasn't fit for purpose, any purpose, like his two immediate predecessors.

Reset the process, reset the comms, reset the messaging, kiss and make up with Cawley and, in the words of Ru Paul, don't fuck it up.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Swisdom said:
    Right.  So it's now official and he's come out and said how he wants to play.  I don't think there's many fans who don't want to see us play in a more attractive manner.  To see us play with players who are confident of having the ball.  Players who actually want the ball.

All we, as fans, need to remember is there will be times it doesn't work.  There will be times we concede goals from "fucking about with it" and times where we won't just "knock it forwards" but as BG himself has said, we want to change the ethos of the club and to play like this throughout the ages groups.  The U18's particularly play nice and neat football and take the occasional risks and anyone who has seen them in the last couple of seasons has said how refreshing they are to watch.  Won't it be nice if the first team can replicate that!

I particularly like the way he says we will have a style of play that is the same both home and away.  It's now going to be up to the opposition to nullify us whereas we have been far too predictable previously.  I look forward to seeing us playing it around the opponents and watching them get knackered and watching players like JFC and Fraser pulling the strings.  I also wonder if BG will be able to harness Albie Morgan and get the best value out of him

Obviously there will need to be a number of new bodies and a change in the way the existing ones train and play but if it improves them, and us, I'm all for it.

I'm mildly excited and hope he gets a bit of time and patience, from fans and TS alike, to deliver 
    We played a similar style under Bowyer at times, especially in our promotion season.
    No we didn’t. We had players breaking forward quickly and scored a lot of goals on the counter. At no point under bowyer were we playing patient, intricate football
    The 45 minutes v Forest at The Valley?
    Doncaster away in the playoffs 
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:
    They should be here now with Ben to be honest, why wait 
    So we may be waiting weeks to appoint a coach/coaches to assist Garner. Really? If that’s true, which I really doubt, that is very far from ideal. But Thomas is developing a habit of talking in riddles so I expect appointments next week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No hanging our heads in shame because Steve Gallen, Ged Roddy and Nigel Adkins have all had a different slant on the process with the committee and how the veto may or not be used with incoming transfers. 

If a manager doesn't have the casting vote then the system is flawed. Hopefully Ben Garner will have the casting vote this summer (within the allocated budget) which will give us a chance for unity which this football club desperately need. 

Ben Garner is similar to Karl Robinson and Michael Beale as he was a coach very young so Sparrows lane would be a great place to witness the coaching during the summer. May have to get some Binoculars and do a Bielsa. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Ben Garner showing his attacking intent against a pack of rabid dogs

Attack Puppies GIF
    That’s Russell Slade! Or maybe @DaveMehmet
  • Options
    Welcome aboard Ben Garner - a massive opportunity for him, TS, our club and all the fans  - praying it works out for all - COYR !!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    He's got no hair but we don't care, oh Ben Garner

Welcome to the madhouse Ben and best of luck! 
  • Options
    Translated - “they are joining, but I just want to create a bit of drama”.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    These should be his first 2 signings before anything else is done 
    I think TS realises that and is just playing crafty.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Much like RD TS doesn't like employing managers who want to bring their own backroom, as it's double bubble when he sacks them. I suspect it's more to do with the restrictive contracts he's offering.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

Much like RD TS doesn't like employing managers who want to bring their own backroom, as it's double bubble when he sacks them. I suspect it's more to do with the restrictive contracts he's offering.
    Didn't Luzon, Peters and Riga all bring back room staff with them?  Slade did, Robinson did.  It was only after KM left and RD gave up (chicken or egg?) that Bowyer didn't?
  • Options

“I’m not actually bald”
    ”Well that’s a hell-of-a partin’”
  • Options
    edited June 2022
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:
    They should be here now with Ben to be honest, why wait 
    Garner's obviously happy with how things are. 
    Is he ? 
    You would assume if he wasn’t, he wouldn’t have put pen to paper.
    JJ desperately wanted the job so put pen to paper even though he had no say on recruitment & the contract was heavily weighted against him. Early reports said Garner & his two coaches were a team & were incoming, all the reports coming from the Swindon end said the coaches were coming but Charlton/sandgaard didn't want to pay the compensation. Same as Adkins, work with the coaches that are here.
  • Options
    One thing we can look forward to with Ben Garner is a manager that has spent a significant part of his career coaching all of kids, teens and adults. He’s going to be able to see what probably none of our recent managers have been able to see. Sounds like coaching is his passion and that’s got to be a massive positive. I expect signings of young players from league two and one that none of us have heard of but he will have tracked. I’m quite excited by the prospect of a Charlton style. Bring on the new season.
    This for me.

Was about to post the same thing. One thing is for sure, Garner has spent years coaching players- decent ones at that.It's not like he's just hung up his boots & taken his Pro licence (like some of our recent managers 😉). 

I spy good times ahead. Buying our season tickets tomorrow.
    WOW!
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

Didn't Luzon, Peters and Riga all bring back room staff with them?  Slade did, Robinson did.  It was only after KM left and RD gave up (chicken or egg?) that Bowyer didn't?
    My understanding was they were RD people, not Luzon, Peters or Riga's.

I fully expect the two guys to arrive, but suspect the delay/wrangling is over terms, and not the minor compensation to Swindon. They won't be getting straight 3 year deals! We are also yet to hear/understand (nor will we likely to) the terms of Garners, could it be like Jacksons and severance will be performance related? 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

As you know what TS is thinking and what contracts he's offering I hope you can you tell us all the signings we'll be making.
    Are we buying any players?  ;)

The biggest shock for me today was Gallen saying we had over 100 applicants for the Managers role, clearly that's why it took so long, that's a lot of CV's to go through........
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    shirty5 said:

My understanding was they were RD people, not Luzon, Peters or Riga's.

I fully expect the two guys to arrive, but suspect the delay/wrangling is over terms, and not the minor compensation to Swindon. They won't be getting straight 3 year deals! We are also yet to hear/understand (nor will we likely to) the terms of Garners, could it be like Jacksons and severance will be performance related? 
    If they were Roland people not Riga etc people why did they all change when the manager did?  Barker and Nugent weren't RD people.

The Jackson contract has no bearing on anything other than Thomas didn't really want Jackson and didn't like the football.  Full stop.  It was a tool to get a job done.  No evidence at all it's been used again.

Your either putting 2 and 2 together and making 25 or still grieving.
  • Options
    This interview of BG by Swindon supporters club (first 17 mins) may have already been posted, but in case not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnfipIi61Is