Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    I'm looking forward to attacking football and goal mouth action, I really am, who wouldn't?
    But isn't this constant insistence on it being the only way to play and win all a bit one - eyed and dogmatic?
    There's another team on the pitch, they're allowed to compete, they'll each provide their own challenges.
    The whole management/ownership/recruitment team are singing from the same hymn sheet but it's Sandgaard's hymn sheet, innit?
    Sandgaard's derision of "the high balls to the big bloke" is troubling - There's always a time and place for that, that's why it's so popular and effective.
    Steve Gallen's a decent and knowledgeable chap but I'm concerned by his revelation that Martin S was in on all the manager interviews.  Doing what?  What does he bring?  Was he just Thomas's eyes and ears on the day, taking notes?
    Garner's credentials look fine to me, let's hope he has the players, time, players, space and players to succeed here at Charlton.  
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Ben Garner, whoah
    Ben Garner, whoah
    He comes from Pembury
    And plays football progressively

;) 

Sorry Killer but:

Ben Garner, whoah
    Ben Garner, Whoah
    He comes from Pembury
    He plays progressively

• Options
    swordfish said:
    aliwibble said:
    swordfish said:
    seth plum said:
    To the tune of Lee Lee Lee Bow-yer it will be Ben Ben Ben Gar-ner which will be a bit of a low in creativity.
    If the fans want the manager to up our game, then Garner has the right to expect the fans to up their game in chants.
    Well I tried my best! What did you expect .... from a fish! 🐟

I'm looking at BeeGee songs for inspiration now because of his initials, but I think another club uses 'Islands in the Stream', so that's out.

There's always 2Unlimited's, 'There's no Limit' to fall back on.

🎵
    Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben, Ben Garner!
    🎵
    Now it's been confirmed I'm still hoping for the "he's got no hair but we don't care" revival, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
    Being as bald as coot myself now, it's a bit too 'pot, kettle, black' for me, but I used to join in the Stevie Gritt appreciation society renditions of it along with the rest!😎
    Swordy fish
    swordy fish
    swordy swords fish
    he's for no hair
    and we don't care
    sworsy swordy fish
  • Options
    I thought Raelynn said Garner wasnt happening?
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    aliwibble said:
    swordfish said:
    seth plum said:
    To the tune of Lee Lee Lee Bow-yer it will be Ben Ben Ben Gar-ner which will be a bit of a low in creativity.
    If the fans want the manager to up our game, then Garner has the right to expect the fans to up their game in chants.
    Well I tried my best! What did you expect .... from a fish! 🐟

I'm looking at BeeGee songs for inspiration now because of his initials, but I think another club uses 'Islands in the Stream', so that's out.

There's always 2Unlimited's, 'There's no Limit' to fall back on.

🎵
    Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben, Ben Garner!
    🎵
    Now it's been confirmed I'm still hoping for the "he's got no hair but we don't care" revival, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
    Being as bald as coot myself now, it's a bit too 'pot, kettle, black' for me, but I used to join in the Stevie Gritt appreciation society renditions of it along with the rest!😎
    Swordy fish
    swordy fish
    swordy swords fish
    he's for no hair
    and we don't care
    sworsy swordy fish
    Needs work.
  • Options
    Seeing as how we’re trainspotters how about the chuff chuff approach, like a steam train starting off?

#Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben
    Ben Ben Ben Ben#

Getting faster and faster as the train speeds up, perhaps finishing with an almighty ‘woooooooooooh’ once we’re exhausted.
    Are the lyrics too complicated?
    🚞🚃🚃🚃
  • Options
    Ben Garner, whoah
    Ben Garner, whoah
    He comes from Pembury

;) 

Sorry Killer but:

Ben Garner, whoah
    Ben Garner, Whoah
    He comes from Pembury
    He plays progressively

Let's hope the last line doesn't become, 

'His team is all at sea!'
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    I'm looking forward to attacking football and goal mouth action, I really am, who wouldn't?
    But isn't this constant insistence on it being the only way to play and win all a bit one - eyed and dogmatic?
    There's another team on the pitch, they're allowed to compete, they'll each provide their own challenges.
    The whole management/ownership/recruitment team are singing from the same hymn sheet but it's Sandgaard's hymn sheet, innit?
    Sandgaard's derision of "the high balls to the big bloke" is troubling - There's always a time and place for that, that's why it's so popular and effective.
    Steve Gallen's a decent and knowledgeable chap but I'm concerned by his revelation that Martin S was in on all the manager interviews.  Doing what?  What does he bring?  Was he just Thomas's eyes and ears on the day, taking notes?
    Garner's credentials look fine to me, let's hope he has the players, time, players, space and players to succeed here at Charlton.  
    It has been explained several times that MS is an observer for TS. Not in control but his representative in this country.

Steve Gallen said that the manager has the final say on signings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    The reason why high balls to the big bloke is popular is because firstly it's easy and requires little coaching, and secondly it's a way for lower skilled teams to play reasonably percentaged football against better teams.

But it has severe limitations, as if the opposition is skilled enough they will keep the ball after winning around 60% of the high balls, play it through the thirds and put you under pressure again. My God we saw that enough this past season.
  • Options
    I saw that and thought about the final say thing.
    If Martin Sandgaard says ‘you can sign such and such a player that I recommend if you like, but you have the final say, and if you say no…then you can’t sign anybody and will have to make do’ what happens then?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    seth plum said:
    If Martin Sandgaard says ‘you can sign such and such a player that I recommend if you like, but you have the final say, and if you say no…then you can’t sign anybody and will have to make do’ what happens then?
    You do know that they are all adults?

I can’t believe you are making up scenarios to try and have a pop. They all have an interest in making us successful.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    It has been explained several times that MS is an observer for TS. Not in control but his representative in this country.

Steve Gallen said that the manager has the final say on signings.
    That way well be true, it may have even been always true.  But, importantly, that's not what Thomas had previously been saying for the last 6 months.

There could be multiple reasons why Thomas would say what he did but "Martin signing players" didn't come out of thin air.

If they are just correcting the narrative to match reality that's fine.  If they have changed the process that's fine as well.  

What ever is happening now needs to work because what was happening didn't.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Not what she said at all though is it?
    Oh I applied a twitter filter to it. 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    CAFCTrev said:
    No, she never said that.

She said that what Cawley said was not correct.

She never said Garner wasn't happening or that what Cawley said was a lie or untrue or false.

some people inferred that. 

Others inferred that some but not all of what Cawley was correct and some  was incorrect ie that a two year deal had not been done as it was possible that the three year deal hadn't, at that point, been done although it was close to being done.
  • Options
    Raelynn Maloney is a tease
    Despite being Thomas's Squeeze
    As long as we are winning
    Let's forget about the sinning.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:
    You do know that they are all adults?

I can’t believe you are making up scenarios to try and have a pop. They all have an interest in making us successful.
    I am making up scenarios that could happen, not in order to have a pop.
    I refer you to the Ronnie Schwartz episode.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    BORING!

She said he hadn't signed a two year deal.  Because, and wait for the kicker.......he hadn't!

It's quite simple
    It is. Lots of people on Twitter celebrating the manager signing by having a pop at Dr Raelynn, even though she was quite correct. People are weird.
  • Options
    Ben Garner, whoah
    Ben Garner, whoah
    He comes from Pembury

;) 
    Can we have a songs thread?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Gribbo said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    They should be here now with Ben to be honest, why wait 
    Garner's obviously happy with how things are. 
    Is he ? 
    Just going by the fact he's just signed a 3 year contract, I'd say he was happy. Maybe you know a fact that says he ain't happy, 48 hours into it??
    See this ? It's a question mark. I don't need to produce a fact when I'm asking a question.
    Yes it's a question. It's just a stupid question.
    Oh dear such a hurtful comment, you've ruined my day. Ok back to school now.
  • Options
    I'm puzzled by those that are excited that Charlton might establish an identity.
    We've always had an identity, we are "plucky little Charlton".
    That's why we never bring in winners obnoxious thugs, maverick game changers or masters of shithousery etc.
    I remember in our Third Division promotion season of 1974/75 we supplemented our squad with the purchase of Millwall legend Harry Cripps .
    I've never got over the shock, it was so stark in it's wrongness.
    It was like Charles Hawtrey inviting the Kray twins to tea.
    (Mind you we also brought in Charles Hawtrey as part of the deal, although he was calling himself Eamonn Dunphy by then.)
    "Passive Demise" should be our motto. What is the latin for that?  ;)

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Swisdom said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    BORING!

She said he hadn't signed a two year deal.  Because, and wait for the kicker.......he hadn't!

It's quite simple
    It is. Lots of people on Twitter celebrating the manager signing by having a pop at Dr Raelynn, even though she was quite correct. People are weird.
    Twitter has become a nasty place. Anger and hatred all over the shop. 
  • Options
    My theory with the Cawley tweet is he was told Garner wanted 5 year contract and he was offered 2 years less than that. 

He is just really crap at maths. 
  • Options
    Slap head in place - check
    Agonising wait for signings... - AAAARRRRGGH!