Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    I'm looking forward to attacking football and goal mouth action, I really am, who wouldn't?
    But isn't this constant insistence on it being the only way to play and win all a bit one - eyed and dogmatic?
    There's another team on the pitch, they're allowed to compete, they'll each provide their own challenges.
    The whole management/ownership/recruitment team are singing from the same hymn sheet but it's Sandgaard's hymn sheet, innit?
    Sandgaard's derision of "the high balls to the big bloke" is troubling - There's always a time and place for that, that's why it's so popular and effective.
    Steve Gallen's a decent and knowledgeable chap but I'm concerned by his revelation that Martin S was in on all the manager interviews.  Doing what?  What does he bring?  Was he just Thomas's eyes and ears on the day, taking notes?
    Garner's credentials look fine to me, let's hope he has the players, time, players, space and players to succeed here at Charlton.  

Watch this, Russell Martin gives a different perspective on managers not having a “plan B” and “typical Brits” wanting long balls up to a big man when plan A isn’t working.
    I am really not worried about a plan B. 

Not many teams have a Chuks.
    Not many teams have a 'Chuks' including us during his considerable injury lay offs.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Swisdom said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    I thought Raelynn said Garner wasnt happening?
    BORING!

She said he hadn't signed a two year deal.  Because, and wait for the kicker.......he hadn't!

It's quite simple
    It is. Lots of people on Twitter celebrating the manager signing by having a pop at Dr Raelynn, even though she was quite correct. People are weird.
    Twitter has become a nasty place. Anger and hatred all over the shop. 
    Was that like a retweet? 👍
    It’s not just the anti Sandgaard vitriol, but there’s also a lot of political grooming going on, conspiracy theories being spread etc. It’s quite sinister. 
  • Options
    After watching the interview, Ben comes across extremely well. Hope their time in Spain helps build a real unity in the squad. New season is not far away, but until then time to enjoy the British Summer 😉
  • Options
    We have some right tits for fans on social media, Twitter in particular. 

Loads of posts about ‘cheap option’ when we paid compensation to get him and have heard he was the prime candidate. The cheap option would have been Euell or a manager out of work. Who else did these people expect? Sean Dyche?

We have to be one of the most entitled fan bases surely 
    I think that's just social media full stop. Twitter can be good for info, but in general is an absolute cesspit.

Every club has them, i've even seen City and Liverpool fans moaning about Pep and Klopp after a defeat.
    Agreed but those are two massive clubs with huge social media presence, no suspense to see a few fairweather fans give it a bit

considering how we fair as a club size in comparison we seem to have far too many toxic fans on social media for how many of us there are 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    I thought Raelynn said Garner wasnt happening?
    No. She said it hadn't been agreed at that time which turns out to be true. The Steve Gallen interview explains a lot.
    all semantics though. TS said yesterday that Garner had agreed to join two weeks ago but it's been with the lawyers since. Raelynn denied anyone had been appointed. Better off saying nothing. She must think we are all stupid.
    He also said they were keeping a couple of other managers "warm" while the final details with Garner were being negotiated. Hence why news getting out Garner was confirmed would have poured ice on the warm backup plans.

Or you would rather we had no backup manager in case Garner did a U turn last minute and joined a different club?
    of course not but they should have just kept quiet and neither confirm or deny anything until you make an announcement. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    I'm looking forward to attacking football and goal mouth action, I really am, who wouldn't?
    But isn't this constant insistence on it being the only way to play and win all a bit one - eyed and dogmatic?
    There's another team on the pitch, they're allowed to compete, they'll each provide their own challenges.
    The whole management/ownership/recruitment team are singing from the same hymn sheet but it's Sandgaard's hymn sheet, innit?
    Sandgaard's derision of "the high balls to the big bloke" is troubling - There's always a time and place for that, that's why it's so popular and effective.
    Steve Gallen's a decent and knowledgeable chap but I'm concerned by his revelation that Martin S was in on all the manager interviews.  Doing what?  What does he bring?  Was he just Thomas's eyes and ears on the day, taking notes?
    Garner's credentials look fine to me, let's hope he has the players, time, players, space and players to succeed here at Charlton.  

Watch this, Russell Martin gives a different perspective on managers not having a “plan B” and “typical Brits” wanting long balls up to a big man when plan A isn’t working.
    Very happy with Garner, but I don't want to get too carried away, so ...
    If we don't play 'attractive, attacking football', what are the the alternatives? 
    From my limited tactics knowledge, they are:

- Long ball to a tall forward: good if you have Crouch
    - Tiki-Taka: good if you have Iniesta
    - Lie deep and counter: good if you are Italy
    - Total football: good if you are the Netherlands in the old days

What else?
    My point is, you have to adapt and if the opposition knows 100% what you are going to do, they can prepare for that, so flexibility surely should be part of Garner/TS's plans.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Scoham said:
    Billy_Mix said:

If we don't play 'attractive, attacking football', what are the the alternatives? 

What else?
    My point is, you have to adapt and if the opposition knows 100% what you are going to do, they can prepare for that, so flexibility surely should be part of Garner/TS's plans.
    I agree, but if we know that, don’t you think he does?

In that 90 minute chat he talks about giving players the back up plans in training so they know exactly what to do in certain circumstances and practice them in training.

If you haven’t watched it is worth watching.
  • Options
    Flexibility in the case of things maybe not going so well in a certain match is essential,but the idea is,get so good at what you are doing and no matter how the opposition counters that ,carry on you will prevail.Everybody knows how Man City, and Liverpool play,few have been able to do anything about it.I do think we have the spine of a good side,Lavelle,Dobson Stockley,
    are as good as anyone in this division,throw in Fraser,Blackett Taylor,Chucks ,get DJ and Kirk firing,utilise Clare as a utility man and that could be the basis of a good side.
  • Options
    Flexibility in the case of things maybe not going so well in a certain match is essential,but the idea is,get so good at what you are doing and no matter how the opposition counters that ,carry on you will prevail.Everybody knows how Man City, and Liverpool play,few have been able to do anything about it.I do think we have the spine of a good side,Lavelle,Dobson Stockley,
    are as good as anyone in this division,throw in Fraser,Blackett Taylor,Chucks ,get DJ and Kirk firing,utilise Clare as a utility man and that could be the basis of a good side.
    In this league it's often about being able to grind out results and win dirty or when not on your A game. Very few teams who've been promoted from League 2 or 1 have done so playing flare football week in week out.

Of course the old adage of scoring more than you concede, and not scoring means not winning is very true, it's a delicate balance. One Powell got right very much so and to a slightly lesser extent so did Bowyer.

Bowyer had players/leaders like Pratley or Cullen who could take the game by the scruff of the neck in their own way, Powell had Jackson, Stephens, Yann and many others, almost a whole team who could do so. Some say 'leaders' - I think we lack those massively at the moment since Pratley left and it's those types of players we'll need in to have any chance of success, not sure what the stat machine would say about them though...........
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Billy_Mix said:

What else?
    I’d say it’s about being flexible within your broader style, there’s definitely a balance to find. So while we don’t lump it up to a big man but we might switch formation, play one or two strikers, sit deeper or press higher, focus on stopping a certain opponent etc.

You could go too far the other way resulting in having no clear way of playing, being ok at everything and good at nothing. Not many squads, especially at this level, will be able to easily switch between multiple styles and play all of them as effectively.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    George Dobson is so, so, so, so, so, so, so much better than Pratley at getting us on the ball and getting us moving forward, but he didn't push anyone over so he's not a leader
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Billy_Mix said:

What else?
    So you don’t think that at the forefront of an attacking ethos is that the other teams need to first and foremost worry about you ? When it isn’t working what should you do? I’d say it’s carry on doing what you’ve been practicing all week and do best and not revert to something alien. Certainly there are times when the opposition are on the day or fundamentally better but that goes for Man City and Liverpool and every other team on the planet. 
  • Options
    In the promotion season run-in, Bielik, Cullen, Aribo and Williams was the preferred midfield diamond against all teams 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    In the promotion season run-in, Bielik, Cullen, Aribo and Williams was the preferred midfield diamond against all teams 
    Except Williams didn't play at all in the run in.........
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Fine, well I forget who did, but Bielik was definitely at the base of it 
  • Options
    I mean, I even kind of agree with Rob's wider point, which is that last season our midfield, aside from Lee occasionally, did NOT do that at all. But we don't need a Pratley, we need a Gallagher
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Leuth said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Fine, well I forget who did, but Bielik was definitely at the base of it 
    Morgan mainly.  
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I mean, I even kind of agree with Rob's wider point, which is that last season our midfield, aside from Lee occasionally, did NOT do that at all. But we don't need a Pratley, we need a Gallagher
    Don’t see us getting another Gallagher for a while, I hope we do but feel we are probably down the pecking order for that type of loan now.