Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Billyboy said:
    Taylor in to 9/2 with William hill
    Joint Fav now with JFH 4/1 with BetVictor
    So basically one person from this forum has stuck a tenner on.
    Or they've made him joint favourite after Cawley's article went out.
  • edited May 2022
    Who was the last manger that we appointed that was already employed in a managerial job? 
  • Who was the last manger that we appointed that was already employed in a managerial job? 
    Peeters?
  • Who was the last manger that we appointed that was already employed in a managerial job? 
    Peeters?
    "He became manager of Gent one week after being released by Cercle Brugge in October 2012 but was fired in January 2013.

Peeters was appointed as manager of English side, Charlton Athletic, in May 2014 on a 12-month contract."
    Have we actually ever?

Dowue escapes on a technicality 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Who was the last manger that we appointed that was already employed in a managerial job? 
    Have we actually ever?

I honestly don’t think we have - not in the 40 years I’ve been going anyway. 
  • Chris Powell was employed when he was in a club role - He'd have been the last person where we'd have needed club permission to speak with him
  • Wasn't the great Fraye managing a club in the Belgian 49th tier or something like that when he became the Interim One?
  • Andy Nelson
  • Billyboy said:
    Taylor in to 9/2 with William hill
    Joint Fav now with JFH 4/1 with BetVictor
    So basically one person from this forum has stuck a tenner on.

I backed him at 16/1 after I asked BetVic to put him in the market a week ago and a few hours later they shortened him to 10/1. The move to 4/1 today is down to Cawley's piece.
  • Sponsored links:

• Slade was Cardiff manager in 15/16 but his role was changed to 'head of football' a month before he joined us. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36231307
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Have we actually ever?

I honestly don’t think we have - not in the 40 years I’ve been going anyway. 
    Prior to that - in 1974 Andy Nelson came to us when still Manager at Gillingham
  • I was told this information in late 2021, I was told not to keep it to myself which I did do.

But now I will share it on here.

I know someone who works for the club in the medical setup.

This person told me in December 2021, that the atmosphere in the dressing room at that time was awful, almost toxic.

Some of the first team squad were barely speaking to each other.
    And Jackson had all but lost the changing room.

The reason behind this unrest was Covid.. 

Some senior players (I don’t know names or numbers) but certainly two, possibly more players were committed Anti Vaxers.

Other players felt unhappy to mix with anyone who refused to be vaccinated. This divided the squad and hence caused bad feeling.

Because of this, some players shunned the Christmas party.
    I also understand that some people who did attend the Christmas party then tested positive for Covid days after attending the party.
    Jackson being one of those.

This caused further bad feeling and unrest.

I don’t know any more, but I will speculate and say that this may well be part of the reason we had such a bad January, and then struggled for the remainder of the season.

I hope this is true.  Because it would explain a lot.  And also give us a bit of hope that the agitators are gone and we can move forward.
    Gilbey was very ill with Covid . Fraser caught it almost as soon as he arrived. He is still suffering  the effects.

I wonder if Gilbey was an anti vaxer .

Anti vaccination is stupid. When I was 6 I caught polio. I ended up in hospital where a new vaccination was just available.  It was administered into my back in several places.

It seemed to work as I made a good recovery. 

In the hospital room next to mine was a youngish man in an iron lung unit. I could  see him through  the window. He had been in the RAF  from early in the war. There was no vaccination when he fell ill.

It is stupid to risk serous illness for the sake of vaccine protection . 

I can easily see how devicive such an attitude would be in these circumstances. 

I'd imagine Gilbey was pro vax because he was so ill from it. From memory, wasn't he ill before the vaccine roll out?
  • Valley11 said:
    Would be pleased with Taylor IF he is allowed to bring his own staff and set up the way he wants it. 
    100% not force euell or the goalkeeper coach on them!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:
    Would be pleased with Taylor IF he is allowed to bring his own staff and set up the way he wants it. 
    That should always be the case.  Always.
    Totally agree. Can hit the ground running then rather than have to piss about. 
  • Valley11 said:
    If you are reading this Tommy this is what fans are saying 200 miles away.

"Their last two appointments have been terrible - the new(ish) owner needs to get the next one right or his credibility will go down the toilet".

• Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Valley11 said:
    That should always be the case.  Always.
    Totally agree. Can hit the ground running then rather than have to piss about. 
    You normally also employ a manager because he has, or you think he can, actually do something.  Why not either replicate the conditions of his success or give him the tools he thinks he needs.

No manager, or coach, is an expert in every aspect of the job.  You need the right mix.
  • I told the Lass about Taylor, her comment was "I don't care who is manager as Sandgaard will f==k it up" - she could be right
  • Taylor would be a good shout.  Precedent is Andy Nelson, left a club newly promoted into our division, made a few astute signings and got some underperformers to raise their games.  But Nelson's inherited a real goalscorer, albeit very raw (Killer).  Can Chuks be that player - he's got 20 goals in him next season IF...oh you know the if...
  • Michael Carrick

Discuss
    He’d do wonders for our midfield
  • https://youtu.be/RscIufZ-HqU

Matt Taylor on Exeter’s season ^
    He can certainly talk 😊
  • Valley11 said:
    Can’t believe they know so much!
  • There is a link between Matt Taylor and Ged Roddy.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Re Matt Taylor -
    Exeter are a lower L1/top L2 team.
    The fact that it took Taylor 4 years to get Exeter promoted in 2nd place, isn't a massive plus for me.
    The fact that he's probably a really nice bloke, isn't a massive plus for me, so was JJ.
    The fact that he's not managed above L2 is a negative for me.
    The fact that he switched from goalie to outfield at age 23, doesn't really clinch it for me that he's a wonderfully versatile manager/coach. To be blunt, it is not relevant.

I'm not unhappy if it's Taylor, but I know the likes of Warburton have the better CV.
    May not be logical but I’m more excited by Taylor for some reason. Perhaps because Warburton has struggled (very) recently, whereas Taylor sounds like a young manager on the way up.
    I think I’d be happy with either. 

Warburton took QPR from lower mid table to 3rd by Xmas.
    He couldn't maintain it, when he lost half the team to injuries.